Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have 3 Wayne Gretzky rookie cards, I would term them in good condition. Not sure their worth. Never thought of selling them. Also have Messier, Bourque, Lemiuex and Bossy rookie cards. All Opechee brand.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I have 3 Wayne Gretzky rookie cards, I would term them in good condition. Not sure their worth. Never thought of selling them. Also have Messier, Bourque, Lemiuex and Bossy rookie cards. All Opechee brand.

Depending on the condition the Gretzky cards could be worth quite a bundle. An unopened box of '79-'80 OPC with one Gretzky showing sells for $56k USD.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Depending on the condition the Gretzky cards could be worth quite a bundle. An unopened box of '79-'80 OPC with one Gretzky showing sells for $56k USD.

Thanks for the info. They are open, I put them in an album. I would call them in good condition, but since they were open and handled. I have a feeling a collector would term them in fair condition. Never thought of selling them. But if that's the going rate, I may have to find out.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Thanks for the info. They are open, I put them in an album. I would call them in good condition, but since they were open and handled. I have a feeling a collector would term them in fair condition. Never thought of selling them. But if that's the going rate, I may have to find out.

a box would not show gretzky lol, packs are inside the box, its sealed.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

You can check ebay for an idea of what they might sell for. For example this one was said to be in Very Good condition:

1979 O-PEE-CHEE Wayne Gretzky #18 (ROOKIE) | eBay

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You can check ebay for an idea of what they might sell for. For example this one was said to be in Very Good condition:

1979 O-PEE-CHEE Wayne Gretzky #18 (ROOKIE) | eBay
2 of them are in similar condition. One I may have played one too many sling the card at the wall card games. But it is in fair condition. Who would have thought buying hockey cards as kid, could have been this profitable. Also have a couple of Lemieux rookie cards.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
I hit a refular Dahlin YG and his exclusives YGs last night from the last 2 S1 boxes at my hobby store... On top of that, I got 3 Pettersson YGs (3 each of Marcus and Elias) from a 2 case break. Accidentally bought into a player break as well and hit a rare Selanne Honored Members /100 (these are maybe 1 in every 10 cases). I say I did pretty well with Series 1.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I hit a refular Dahlin YG and his exclusives YGs last night from the last 2 S1 boxes at my hobby store... On top of that, I got 3 Pettersson YGs (3 each of Marcus and Elias) from a 2 case break. Accidentally bought into a player break as well and hit a rare Selanne Honored Members /100 (these are maybe 1 in every 10 cases). I say I did pretty well with Series 1.

That's an impressive haul. Broke the last box from my local shop this evening. Still missing the only Pettersson that matters but I was happy as a Wings fan because I pulled Ehn & Rasmussen plus the Cholowksi canvas. Should have the box I pre-ordered from Steel City on Monday and that will probably me my last box. Need to cut myself off at some point.

Smiggie Balls

Sep 27, 2017
I'm interested in getting into this.. could you point a complete beginner in the right direction? which packs to buy, what to look out for, things to avoid, etc. I'd appreciate it

Reactions: Maelmoor

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm interested in getting into this.. could you point a complete beginner in the right direction? which packs to buy, what to look out for, things to avoid, etc. I'd appreciate it

Upper Deck Series 1 and 2 are always a good start, series 1 was just released and series 2 will be out in the spring. Basically half of the players are in each set. They are popular due to the Young Guns rookie cards, which a lot of people collect.

You will also find Hobby and Retail boxes, where retail is cheaper but will contain less "hits" (of inserts/special cards), however for Young Guns the odds are the same for both boxes.

I personally always go Hobby as they are more fun, but it depends what you are after.

Easiest way to find the actual values on your cards is on eBay, just remember to check for sold items. There is also the Beckett price guide, but I just read it for amusement, as the values tend to be off.

Upper Deck has exclusive rights for NHL, they release lot of products, from the cheap MVP to high-end products with just a few cards per box.

Good luck and have fun!

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Ive got 20 Sundin rookie cards to get you started

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I never hit big hits like an exclusive Dahlin. My biggest exclusive is a Jon Gibson yg.

I have 4 hobby boxes coming in the mail, plus I pre-ordered 7 tins.

I'll get a couple of epack boxes too.

I also sent 60-70 cards to be Beckett for grading about six months ago... They told me it might be another six months.

Reactions: someguy44

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I never hit big hits like an exclusive Dahlin. My biggest exclusive is a Jon Gibson yg.

I also sent 60-70 cards to be Beckett for grading about six months ago... They told me it might be another six months.
Biggest hit to date is an Eichel YG HG. The story behind that day and the decision to even break a box is a great one aswell.

Reactions: someguy44

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013

The Beckett backlog is just getting silly at this point. I sent in a few cards but paid for the 5-6 week process. At this point, I'm expecting to get them back in the New Year..

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

As someone whos spent way to much money on hockey cards I would recommend steering clear of buying boxes and stick to singles. You lose the thrill of landing a big hit, but youll be better off in the long run. Most boxes/packs will end up being duds anyway.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

My best exclusive is 2018-19 Mike Smith! Bring on the pennies! That's a rough wait to get cards graded. I've heard PSA is backed up months too. Grading is blowing up and if you're looking to sell it almost always has to be graded which is why I think it's so backed up.

What's your method? Do you only send in cards you think can get a 10? I've debated getting some cards graded but some local dealers have scared me off. At least for PSA because they think it's too objective but they like Beckett because they tell you why a card was graded as it was.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I went through my entire collection the other day to take it from the massive containers and into protective pages and a binder. (like half of my collection was already in there, but I had a lot of cards not).

Was fun, I organized them by set, and then the number they were in the set, it took like 3 days of any free time to do, and I haven't finished the last bit of yet.

Turns out I had like 3 Curtis Joseph rookie cards in my set I didn't know of. My favorite goalie of all-time, and I was clueless about it :laugh:

So I have a large collection of just regular cards, and then I have a good sized collection of premium cards, whether they are signed, rookies, special edition, etc.

Even these days, every now and again I'll go into the Wal-Mart and get a mixed box. Usually contains 4 packs from different years, and then an encased and graded card. Managed to pull a 10 mint McDavid OHL rookie, and a 10 mint Marner NHL rookie in those. Apparently you can get a Matthews NHL rookie card in them, so I'm on the hunt for those haha

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My best exclusive is 2018-19 Mike Smith! Bring on the pennies! That's a rough wait to get cards graded. I've heard PSA is backed up months too. Grading is blowing up and if you're looking to sell it almost always has to be graded which is why I think it's so backed up.

What's your method? Do you only send in cards you think can get a 10? I've debated getting some cards graded but some local dealers have scared me off. At least for PSA because they think it's too objective but they like Beckett because they tell you why a card was graded as it was.
Will grade stuff that raises the value by about $40 or more.

A lot of graded young guns still sell at under $40. Those are not worth grading. But yes, I inspect all my cards very thoroughly and won't send in anything that I think will get less than a bgs 9.5/psa 10. I'm pretty good at that. Only ever had 2 cards come back less.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have 3, O-Pee-Chee rookie Wayne Gretzky cards. 2 in good condition, one in fair condition. Probably will sell 2 and keep 1 in my collection. I am curious, I saw the prices of what they are going for online. Wonder how much card enthusiasts would pay for a rookie Gretzky card here?

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
I'm wondering what is the best Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner rookie card to get. Was considering getting one for my son's first bday (not like he knows but..). Any insight would be great

Reactions: DriveFor9th

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Was working the Sports Show in Toronto over the weekend. What a whirlwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad