Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm wondering what is the best Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner rookie card to get. Was considering getting one for my son's first bday (not like he knows but..). Any insight would be great

Young Guns are the classic "rookie card" right now. They are also a relatively affordable option for a player like Matthews, and one that is likely to hold value. BGS 9.5 have dipped to about $300 CAD and $200 for ungraded Matthews. So it's not a bad time to buy one.

Beyond that, the SPA FWAs are IMO very underrated. They are on-card autos and number to 999, so somewhat easy to find. The Matthews is going for about $1300-$1500 CAD though. Other "true rookies" like Ice Premieres and Ultimate cards are great but may not hold value the same way as Young Guns over time. The Cup RPAs are awesome, but very very expensive.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I have 3, O-Pee-Chee rookie Wayne Gretzky cards. 2 in good condition, one in fair condition. Probably will sell 2 and keep 1 in my collection. I am curious, I saw the prices of what they are going for online. Wonder how much card enthusiasts would pay for a rookie Gretzky card here?

You need to get them graded to bring back substantial cash. Unless they look absolutely perfect, you won't get more than $8-900 for an ungraded rookie. If the card has obvious flaws expect about half or less of that. The stories you hear about Gretzky rookies going for tens (or even hundreds) of thousands are about high graded cards. Gretzky rookies really aren't that rare, but the high graded ones are.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Young Guns are the classic "rookie card" right now. They are also a relatively affordable option for a player like Matthews, and one that is likely to hold value. BGS 9.5 have dipped to about $300 CAD and $200 for ungraded Matthews. So it's not a bad time to buy one.

Beyond that, the SPA FWAs are IMO very underrated. They are on-card autos and number to 999, so somewhat easy to find. The Matthews is going for about $1300-$1500 CAD though. Other "true rookies" like Ice Premieres and Ultimate cards are great but may not hold value the same way as Young Guns over time. The Cup RPAs are awesome, but very very expensive.

Okay, I will look into the $300 card and also the "SPA FWA's" (i have to figure out what all these things mean lol). I might even consider that one. I have to find some sort of card show in Toronto. Thank you very much for the reply :)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You need to get them graded to bring back substantial cash. Unless they look absolutely perfect, you won't get more than $8-900 for an ungraded rookie. If the card has obvious flaws expect about half or less of that. The stories you hear about Gretzky rookies going for tens (or even hundreds) of thousands are about high graded cards. Gretzky rookies really aren't that rare, but the high graded ones are.
Thanks. This is useful info. I have them in plastic, probably should have had them better taken care of. But 2 of them are solid good. Mint would be pushing it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bought a 18/19 UD Series 1 hobby box from my local shop today. Not a great one. Pulled Heiskanen, Comtois, Blackwood and Kahun YG's. Nothing great though. Probably grab another one this weekend.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Okay, I will look into the $300 card and also the "SPA FWA's" (i have to figure out what all these things mean lol). I might even consider that one. I have to find some sort of card show in Toronto. Thank you very much for the reply :)

Take a look on EBay. Just search for Matthews SPA FWA. You can also just do a generic search for Auston Matthews rookie and a lot of options will come up. Like I said before the Young Guns cards are considered the classic "rookie" and are a safe bet.

There's probably hundreds of Matthews cards which say "rookie" on them, but probably about a dozen that the hobby treats as true rookie cards: Young Guns, SPA FWA, Ice Premiers, Cup RPA, Fleer Showaces RPA, Ultimate RPA, etc...

The acronyms are confusing. RPA stands for Rookie Patch Auto. And the other bits are basically some of the multiple brands that Upper Deck makes. Upper Deck has about 20 products now, but the basic series 1/2 (where you find the Young Guns cards) remains the most iconic and widely collected.

Last edited:

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I have 2 Gretzky RCs, 2 Lemieux RCs, 2 Roy RCs (all O-Pee-Chee), and 2 Jordan RCs (Fleer) all minimum 7 BGS. I'm too scared to mail them in, and too lazy to drive from Langley to Victoria to have them graded.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I have 2 Gretzky RCs, 2 Lemieux RCs, 2 Roy RCs (all O-Pee-Chee), and 2 Jordan RCs (Fleer) all minimum 7 BGS. I'm too scared to mail them in, and too lazy to drive from Langley to Victoria to have them graded.

You can mail them in with insurance.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Thanks. This is useful info. I have them in plastic, probably should have had them better taken care of. But 2 of them are solid good. Mint would be pushing it.

The only Gretzky RC graded a 10 went for $465,000 US at auction in 2016.

O-Pee-Chee Gretzky Rookie Now Most Expensive Hockey Card

I'm no expert, but to me the ragged edges would make it less than a 10.

OPC-Gretzky-rookie-card-PSA-10.jpeg

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
You can mail them in with insurance.
Oh I didn't know that, I assume that would be through Canada Post? So if something happened to them how would I prove what I had or what condition it was in, take pictures beforehand?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Oh I didn't know that, I assume that would be through Canada Post? So if something happened to them how would I prove what I had or what condition it was in, take pictures beforehand?

Canada Post does provide insurance options. If you package the cards properly, damage shouldn't be a main worry. Theft or loss would be my bigger worries. But yes, you'd have to provide evidence to the insurance company. Pictures would definitely help.

I send all my cards in top loaders with tape at the top to prevent the cards from sliding out of the top loaders. I then put them in a harder box, and fill that box with packing materials to prevent the cards from sliding around during transit and to cushion them.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The only Gretzky RC graded a 10 went for $465,000 US at auction in 2016.

O-Pee-Chee Gretzky Rookie Now Most Expensive Hockey Card

I'm no expert, but to me the ragged edges would make it less than a 10.

OPC-Gretzky-rookie-card-PSA-10.jpeg

Ragged edges are called the "O-pee-Chee Cut". In Canada, OPC had the license to hockey cards through that period. They cut their cards with wires, that would get dull over time. So you'd end up with ragged corners. The ragged edges are viewed differently.

PSA accounts for them and doesn't deduct. Beckett generally does deduct. Personally, I like them and think they add to the cards nostalgic value and represent a time in manufacturing. Different collectors have different views.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
SP Authentic (SPA) is the name of a set from Upper Deck and the rookies in the set are called Future Watch (FW). The Young Guns (YG) rookie cards are from Upper Deck Series 1 and Series 2.

Here's a couple links to show what the cards look like:

2016-17 Upper Deck Series 1 #201 - Matthews Young Guns: Upper Deck 2016-17 Young Guns YG Auston Matthews #201 RC Great Shape! | eBay

2016-17 SP Authentic FW #146 - Matthews auto /999: 16-17 UD SP Authentic Auston Matthews Future Watch Auto Rookie RC /999 | eBay

Both cards are true rookie cards of his (not parallels or inserts of him from his rookie season). Also, Upper Deck is the only hockey card company with Auston Matthews rookie cards.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
These are my 2 Gretzkys, not the best quality pics, but anyone have an estimate on what the grade might be approximately?

20181113-152144.jpg
20181113-152224.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm wondering what is the best Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner rookie card to get. Was considering getting one for my son's first bday (not like he knows but..). Any insight would be great

Get the Future Watch Autos, or get the Young Guns exclusives.

No guarantee any cards maintain their value if the idea is to make a long term investment, but with those cards they are both highly relevant rookies that are numbered. The Young Guns are not numbered, and while I might be in the minority, I am a bit sketched out by the possible print runs on the McDavid+Matthews rookie years.

The Matthews YG exclusive is obviously very expensive. The Future Watch is a bit more accessible.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
These are my 2 Gretzkys, not the best quality pics, but anyone have an estimate on what the grade might be approximately?

20181113-152144.jpg
20181113-152224.jpg

Do you have pictures of the backs too?

They look a little bit too good to be true, honestly. Unfortunately, I think they might be reprints. Does the back say O-Pee-Chee or Topps? If they say O-Pee-Chee they are 100% reprints.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Do you have pictures of the backs too?

They look a little bit too good to be true, honestly. Unfortunately, I think they might be reprints. Does the back say O-Pee-Chee or Topps? If they say O-Pee-Chee they are 100% reprints. If they say Topps, I would definitely send for grading, as they could grade really high.
They're definitely O-Pee-Chee, and I'm quite sure they're not reprints although I am not 100% certain. I've only touched them out of their case once each and they definitely do not feel like reprints as I've also seen reprints. The top right of one is a little faded but the other looks to be hopefully an 8. I'm not sure what those little white marks are either and if they might devalue the card. I've had them since I think 1996 when they weren't worth near what they are now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They're definitely O-Pee-Chee, and I'm quite sure they're not reprints although I am not 100% certain. I've only touched them out of their case once each and they definitely do not feel like reprints as I've also seen reprints. The top right of one is a little faded but the other looks to be hopefully an 8. I'm not sure what those little white marks are either and if they might devalue the card. I've had them since I think 1996 when they weren't worth near what they are now.

Unfortunately, if those cards say O-Pee-Chee on the back, they are most likely reprints. The OPC version of the Gretzky has a small yellow dot on the shoulder. The edges are also almost always frayed:

How to Spot a Counterfeit Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card

Also, the back of the card should be a yellow/tan kind of colour. If it's grey/white, it's a definite fake. Funnily enough, the Topps back should be more of a white colour, but the fakes typically have the yellow/tan colour.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Unfortunately, if those cards say O-Pee-Chee on the back, they are most likely reprints. The OPC version of the Gretzky has a small yellow dot on the shoulder. The edges are also almost always frayed:

How to Spot a Counterfeit Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card

Also, the back of the card should be a yellow/tan kind of colour. If it's grey/white, it's a definite fake. Funnily enough, the Topps back should be more of a white colour, but the fakes typically have the yellow/tan colour.
Thanks for your help, I'm going to go cry for a little while now.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I just opened what will be my final Upper Deck 2018-19 Series 1 box. It was my 5th and the most boxes for one year that I have ever opened. Went overboard the past few days but this was a pre-order that finally arrived after some weekend USPS drama but it was worth the wait. It was the best box I have ever opened and my first experience with a "hot box" Pulled 8 Young Guns! Including Elias Pettersson, Michael Rasmussen Canvas and a Clear Cut Miro Heiskanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad