Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Speaking as an avid Young Guns collector (I have every card of every set since 2011-12. except for the checklists. I don't see a need for them) If you're looking to collect and want variety I'd suggest to hunt for the sets on ebay. You'd probably get more for your buck on a per card basis. Unless of course you're after value. In that case ebay would no doubt rip you off.

In like to grade young guns. I find the cheapest way is to find old retail and bust boxes. Most high end young guns on eBay are the rejects from collectors. Cards that weren't good enough to be sent in for grading by the collectors themselves.

Sometimes I actually hit some pretty big home runs too. One time I spent $300 on 2009/10 retail. Pulled a Tavares and a Karlsson YG that but graded BGS 10, plus a lot of other good cards in there.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
For those of you who missed the announcement, Tarasenko has signed all his remaining rookie card redemptions for Upper Deck so those will be sent out soon.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Last few years I tried selling my Drouin YG for $25...not a single legit offer. He gets traded to Montreal and I post it for $65...a buyer right away haha. I haven't seen this sort of inflation before. Moral of the story is sell your Drouin's now.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Target Alert-

Blasters of 07/08 upper deck on clearance.

Purchased all of them at two Targets in the area and have pulled two Kane's, two Price (both in same blasters) and a full retail box at 29.99 of last year's series two.

I have already made my money back on the Kane's alone. Price doesn't sell in my area so I am going to dump them on eBay for cheap or just give them away

Good day so far

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Hey, used to collect cards up until 2005 or so and have been getting back into them recently... Just blew $200 (US) last night on 16/17 UD S.1 (7 boxes, 2 tins)... I did get a Matthews YG so it was totally worth it considering it goes for $150 on ebay, in my boxes I got (2) big Nylander's and (2) big Tkachuk's with an assortment of other goodies.... It just seems when I buy tho, it's like I'm breaking even on every box.. However I will say tho, I did buy those Parkhurst (UD ones) those "rack packs" and it seems I pull something great out of every pack..... I pulled a "red" Matthews the other day, and a "black" Crosby.....

I have a few questions for collectors tho...

1. Is there some site I can get info from on SP's? because it seems like some cards on UD series 1 are SP's

2. Being from Chicago (area) I'm limited when it comes to selection, presently all I can buy (in person) is UD series 1 and Parkhurst (and I've already gotten the major hits out of both - Matthews YG, (big one too, didn't get a canvas tho), Parkhurst - Black, Red and base. I would like to expand my collection but in order to do so I'm going to have to buy online so I would like recommendations on good product....

3. A few years back I saw some cards that looked like 1979-80 OPC/Topps design, if someone could tell me what set that was it would be highly appreciated.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sounds like you did really well considering what you pulled after spending $200, but you can't expect to do that well all the time. Breaking even can be pretty hard.

1.Just google "Upper Deck Series 1 checklist" or the checklist for whichever set you're looking for. You should be able to find listings. For further reading, check out places like Blowoutcards forum, Sports Card forum, Clouts n Chara's forum, etc....basically any hobbyist forum. The more you read up, the more you'll learn about the "hobby".

2.DA Card World and Blowout Cards are both great places to buy cards online since you're in the US. You can get good deals on older product. One product I particularly like is 15-16 Full Force which is only 30 bucks for a hobby box now. They also have some good deals on past UD Series products. You can buy 24 retail packs of 14-15 series 1 (Gaudreau, Draisaitl, Ekblad, Kuznetzov, Reinhart Young Guns) for a buck a pack. On average, that should net you 6 Young Guns.

3.You might be thinking of O-Pee-Chee. O-Pee-Chee is one of the first sets UD releases every year. It is a low end set with a huge base set, lots of inserts, but the downside is the rookie class is always a bit lame since they don't include the top rookies off the bat but instead include holdovers from the past season who didn't get rookie cards yet. Past year OPC Hobby boxes are pretty cheap, for example the site I listed above has them at 26 bucks for a 36 pack hobby box from last year's OPC.

Keep in mind, Upper Deck releases OPC "Update" cards in Upper Deck Series 2. These update cards are the top rookies that I mentioned aren't included initially with OPC like Matthews and Marner for this season. If you want these, a good way to get them is just to buy them as singles on comc.com. You could complete the entire set of OPC Updates from 15-16 and 16-17 for very cheap since most of the cards sell for pennies.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think you did well considering the product you opened was retail version, which is not easy to break even with. I would try finding a hobby store in your area. As you are in Blackhawk territory, I'm sure there will be multiple stores.

I believe the set you're referring to is the retro parallel from 08-09 O Pee Chee, which I opened a ton of.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Target Alert-

Blasters of 07/08 upper deck on clearance.

Purchased all of them at two Targets in the area and have pulled two Kane's, two Price (both in same blasters) and a full retail box at 29.99 of last year's series two.

I have already made my money back on the Kane's alone. Price doesn't sell in my area so I am going to dump them on eBay for cheap or just give them away

Good day so far

Kane and Price YG? Price sells well on Ebay. Hell any Montreal guy does. Sold a Lehkonen the other day for $13

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
LOL I just did. :eek:

I'm guessing McDavid is the price he is because he's considered the next best player in hockey and I'm assuming that the Leafs Big 3 suffer from the Leafs Tax right? Because there was some really curious ones there - an Ovechkin Young Guns from 2005-06 goes for only $200-250 which I thought was low for one of the best goal scorers of his generation while Crosby Young Guns go for $1000+. Is their a specific reason for the disparity in prices?

Ovechkin is from Series 2. Crosby is from Series 1. Series 1 was released right after the wake of the lockout and there was a lot of "hockey is dead" talk. When S1 was sold out and tons of hockey product was selling and sold out, that's when people placed their orders for S2. My guesstimate is for every one S1 YG, there are three S2 YGs. It's a testament to Ovechkin's demand that despite having so many YGs out there that it's still a triple digit card. You look at the second best YG in that set (there are several candidates as the set is loaded due to the double rookie class and the class of 2003) and those YGs are less than ten bucks.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
For more experienced Young Guns collectors....what do you think Thomas Chabot's Young Gun might peak at next year if he ends up with a similar season to a Werenski type? Lots of points, Calder consideration, playoff exposure?

He's selling for 5-10 USD now with only pre-NHL hype going. He's also Series 2, so he might not be as highly produced as some of the lesser series 1 guys.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For more experienced Young Guns collectors....what do you think Thomas Chabot's Young Gun might peak at next year if he ends up with a similar season to a Werenski type? Lots of points, Calder consideration, playoff exposure?

He's selling for 5-10 USD now with only pre-NHL hype going. He's also Series 2, so he might not be as highly produced as some of the lesser series 1 guys.

Generally, defencemen don't sell for much. Even Karlsson wasn't selling for all that much until his recent playoff run. Generally unless you're on the level of a player like Doughty, Burns, etc.. a defencman's card just aren't worth much. For example, Hedman's cards sell for $5-7 USD. You would get a slight bump for playing for a Canadian team, although Ottawa is a relatively small market compared to other Canadian teams.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't see him go up to more than 20 unfortunately and that is if he has a good year, if a player is hot in his rookie year and there is hype around him always sell, next year they will dip even if they keep playing well. Even the best tend to dip a bit but they will remain in high demand which keeps the prices from dropping too much.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I don't see him go up to more than 20 unfortunately and that is if he has a good year, if a player is hot in his rookie year and there is hype around him always sell, next year they will dip even if they keep playing well. Even the best tend to dip a bit but they will remain in high demand which keeps the prices from dropping too much.

What I find interesting about Chabot is a lot of his hype has come despite him being drafted two years ago and (aside from 1 game) not playing in the NHL yet.

I think part of this might be some inflation from the Sens having a poor crop of rookie cards over the last few seasons. Andrew Hammond at the peak of his hype and Curtis Lazar were the last two bigger name Sens rookies.

I understand players tend to peak in value during their rookie years, I'm just curious to see if this is Chabot's peak, or if a strong rookie season could lead to him peaking late next season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What I find interesting about Chabot is a lot of his hype has come despite him being drafted two years ago and (aside from 1 game) not playing in the NHL yet.

I think part of this might be some inflation from the Sens having a poor crop of rookie cards over the last few seasons. Andrew Hammond at the peak of his hype and Curtis Lazar were the last two bigger name Sens rookies.

I understand players tend to peak in value during their rookie years, I'm just curious to see if this is Chabot's peak, or if a strong rookie season could lead to him peaking late next season.

Yes, if he kills it in his rookie season, his card will go up. If he has a disappointing season, it will go down....This is probably true of most players, and if anyone here can predict that accurately, they should start investing in hockey cards as a profession.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes, if he kills it in his rookie season, his card will go up. If he has a disappointing season, it will go down....This is probably true of most players, and if anyone here can predict that accurately, they should start investing in hockey cards as a profession.

The advantage with the rookies in Series 1 is that they can keep climbing in value during the season, a good example was MacKinnon, I flipped a lot of his cards during that season.

Reactions: Rorschach

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The advantage with the rookies in Series 1 is that they can keep climbing in value during the season, a good example was MacKinnon, I flipped a lot of his cards during that season.

Generally, I find that only happens with a select few cards every year. MacKinnon was the premiere card of that double rookie class. Later on Tarasenko climbed. However, the vast majority of the cards from that year did not. They were highest upon release and then dropped dramatically. So once again, it become an issue of predicting who the hot rookies will be.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Randomly got into hockey cards when i was 13 and asked my dad to get me a box on UD series 1s. He got me a small box and i pulled a Tavares YG, best feeling ever. He got me another box that Xmas and i pulled a Karlsson, i was more excited about Del Zotto at the time hahahah.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Generally, I find that only happens with a select few cards every year. MacKinnon was the premiere card of that double rookie class. Later on Tarasenko climbed. However, the vast majority of the cards from that year did not. They were highest upon release and then dropped dramatically. So once again, it become an issue of predicting who the hot rookies will be.

You're both right. A few S1 YGs may climb in the year and those couple cards will drive that product all year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Randomly got into hockey cards when i was 13 and asked my dad to get me a box on UD series 1s. He got me a small box and i pulled a Tavares YG, best feeling ever. He got me another box that Xmas and i pulled a Karlsson, i was more excited about Del Zotto at the time hahahah.

Karlsson yg really went on fire this playoffs. I have a grade bgs 10 that I pulled and sent to Beckett. If the guy ever wins a cup that card will be worth a mortgage payment.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
As a side note, my local toys r us said that they can't stock hockey cards anymore as the products are selling out too fast.

Could be a good sign that the hobby is picking up again.

Reactions: Bluenatic

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
As a side note, my local toys r us said that they can't stock hockey cards anymore as the products are selling out too fast.

Could be a good sign that the hobby is picking up again.

You mean they can't keep them in stock?
FYI I don't believe TRU actually stocks the trading cards. I believe it's a 3rd party company, the same one that stocks Target. They control all card selections including the non-sport.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Anybody into the Tim Horton's cards again this year?

I like what they represent. $1-$2 insert/set driven product. Accessible for people of all ages. Fun to open. Mostly, good looking cards. Although it's not all about money, but it's nice to be able to pull on average inserts that on the secondary market would cost reasonably close to what was spent on packs to pull them.

I've picked up 5 packs so far. I don't buy coffee or beverages at fast food places, but I know a few people who go there on a semi-regular basis and can hook me up with the dollar packs. At a dollar for a chance at a decent insert, and a base design I like, I'll take it. Best pulls have been two Platinum Profiles and an Erik Karlsson base card :D. I'm hoping to pull a Chabot Clear Cut. There's nothing worse than pulling a checklist as an insert though.

I am bummed that they got rid of the Franchise Force cards, that was a huge mistake. They were cool looking cards, and the 'Triple Exposure" cards just aren't the same. Franchise Force felt like they were becoming a genuine staple that one could look forward to from Tim Horton's packs. Hopefully they correct this mistake next year.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Karlsson yg really went on fire this playoffs. I have a grade bgs 10 that I pulled and sent to Beckett. If the guy ever wins a cup that card will be worth a mortgage payment.

Love Karlsson. Guy is a hall of famer already and only mid career.

Attachments

• s-l500 (5).jpg
    s-l500 (5).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 17

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
Hey guys! Getting back into card collecting again. Been collecting a binder with every person selected in the 1st round from 1990-2004. Does anyone know or ever seen a Mike Morris card? (Sharks 1st rounder from 2002). Maybe the better question is, do they even exist? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad