Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
On a different topic, why do only conservative hockey card designs seem to catch on?

UD Black was one of the best looking sets last year and it doesn't seem all that popular.

I love flashy almost late 90s type cards like Fleer PMG. Anything shiny or catchy. They don't seem to catch on or do well in hockey and thus UD makes less cards with those types of designs.

I'm liking the SPX Holo shields and the Shadow Box rookies.

I'm not a big fan of simple full picture type cards like UD Series 1, Portfolio. (Although I can appreciate that UD has some great photos in series 1/2). I prefer cards that use cutouts of the players with more out there designs.

All those wacky 90s basketball type designs are the cards I love but I don't care about basketball.

Do I just have awful taste in cards? :laugh:

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Okay, thanks for the advice! My program in university is pretty expensive (I think second most expensive in Waterloo) so I don't really have the time or money to be collecting cards. I'm definitely never going to open another pack of hockey cards again. I'm probably just going to keep it and treat it like the hockey jersey I could never afford :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Got my Hutton YG Acetate back from BGS

bWI00dJ.jpg

:yo:

Nice a perfect 10. My Rantanen acetate YG was a 9.5 but its part of my PC so I wouldn't sell haha.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
My uncle gave me years ago a huge box full of BCHL cards from the 70-90's.. Haven't bothered to look through them yet, but does anyone think there could be anything worthwhile in there?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Nice a perfect 10. My Rantanen acetate YG was a 9.5 but its part of my PC so I wouldn't sell haha.

I pulled a Nic Dowd Acetate YGs...Was debating getting it graded, but maybe I will...There's a show here in March that BGS is attending. Think I'll drop off a bunch of cards. Cheaper and faster than sending it in myself.

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
Anyone know how long buyback autographs take to come in? I pulled a Patrick Roy canadiens promo anniversary autographed buyback from a 14-15 ud series 1 hobby box, it's been a year and a half, still hasn't come in.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The only cards that tend to increase in value are rookie cards of guys who were unknown late round picks and broke out. So like a Mark Stone type of guy.

Otherwise, rookie cards and cards in general almost always peak when they first are released as more people are interested in adding them to their collection. This is especially true for top draft picks.

It is possible that Matthews card could increase in value if he has a prolific career, wins a few Hart/Art Ross/Stanley Cups but the safe thing in the short term to do is to sell now, or at the very least hope the Leafs make the playoffs and sell at that time.

eBay sold listings is a decent indication of what a popular card like Matthews is worth. Right now they look to be selling for around 175-200 Canadian raw. If you have sold on eBay before and are familiar with the process of selling an item, that might be the best and easiest route to go. Just makes sure you ship the card with tracking. It should cost about 10-15 to ship a card with tracking in Canada. If you list on eBay from a marketing standpoint it would be better to list it at 199.99 with free shipping than to list it at 175 with 15 dollars shipping. At the end of the day, you make the exact same amount.

Another route would be to sell it locally on Kijiji/Facebook/Craigslist. You'll probably get a lot of low ballers trying to buy the card off you to flip though. Which there's nothing wrong with in theory, but you shouldn't need a third party to help you sell a card like Matthews when you've already committed to selling it locally. That card should sell itself pretty much as it is one of the most in demand if not the most in demand card on the market right now.

Last option if you don't know how to use eBay and aren't into the idea of going the classified route would be to find your local card shops and see what they'll give you for it. IMO for a card like Matthews, this isn't the smartest move because you shouldn't have to pay someone to sell something that will sell itself. You could literally list the Matthews card slightly underpriced on eBay and have it gone in a day. But if you do want to go this route consider that with eBay+Paypal fees and 10-15 dollars shipping within Canada if you did sell the card for 200 CAD w/free shipping you'll only pocket about 160 after everything. If you choose to sell the card on the lower end at 175 w/free shipping, you're only pocketing around 135. So if you have a shop offering you anything close to that because they know it is a hot card they can sell the same day they buy it, maybe you opt to take it just for the convenience of not having to go the eBay route.

As far as my opinion on selling from packs. I just don't really get it if you're gonna collect. I think if people buy packs, they should keep the hits from them a majority of the time. Because although you had an amazing first pack, the reality is if you spend say 1000 dollars on packs of hockey cards in a year, you'd be very lucky to get 500 worth of cards back. So I don't get the mentality of say spending 1000 on packs, pulling 500 worth of cards, selling those cards, then spending the 500 on more packs where you pull 250 and so on forever. Nor do I get the mentality of buying packs just to trade/sell the cards for cards you want more as singles, I think it makes more sense just to buy singles in the first place since it'll cost less. I think it is fun to buy a pack or box every once and a while the same way someone might buy a lottery ticket every once and a while knowing they aren't getting their money back, but I think relying on packs/boxes to build a collection is misguided.

Ya i have deal pending on Saturday for my double of my Matthews YG. Went through Kijiji and the deal is for $170. Had about 4 offers of $150. Kinda regret not trying to sell it after he possibly wins the calder or makes a possible playoff run. Gonna use the money to continue on my chase for Marner and Mcdavid

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Anyone know how long buyback autographs take to come in? I pulled a Patrick Roy canadiens promo anniversary autographed buyback from a 14-15 ud series 1 hobby box, it's been a year and a half, still hasn't come in.

Each one is different and depends on when the individual player signs. For star players, UD typically only gets them in every 2-3 years, and they sign a wack of cards at once.

You can always phone UD and see what's going on. You may be able to get a replacement if it's taking too long.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Do you mean they might restock the shelves during the same periods the Pokemon cards come out? Or are you suggesting I get into Pokemon cards. :laugh:
Lol no the best days for retail are the days Pokemon cards are released. Your guaranteed they replenish stock.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Each one is different and depends on when the individual player signs. For star players, UD typically only gets them in every 2-3 years, and they sign a wack of cards at once.

You can always phone UD and see what's going on. You may be able to get a replacement if it's taking too long.

I know this is unrelated to hockey cards but Topps did an Axl Rose auto insert in their baseball sets a few years back and he apparently was late signing them which is only funny because of Axl's reputation for always being late to show up for concerts.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ya i have deal pending on Saturday for my double of my Matthews YG. Went through Kijiji and the deal is for $170. Had about 4 offers of $150. Kinda regret not trying to sell it after he possibly wins the calder or makes a possible playoff run. Gonna use the money to continue on my chase for Marner and Mcdavid

If the leafs go to the third round it'll be going for $300.... Obviously that's a big if.

$170 is a great price with no fees to pay to eBay, PayPal, comc, etc.. You did well. The Calder won't effect much. Everyone expects him to win that anyways.

Jonsson

May 28, 2010
Vetlanda, Sweden
Well got no new cards to show...but some bad deals i've done last month.

all cards in near mint and above..most mint.

Sold a Mario Lemieux RC Topps (a bit of center) for 30 USD
Sold a Alex Ovechkin YG for 35 USD
Sold a Pavel Bure RC with auto for 25 USD
Sold a Nicklas Backstrom RC from when he was 17 with auto for 25 USD
Sold a Nicklas Backstrom Pride of a Nation for 35 USD
Sold a Steve Yzerman RC for 15 USD

well got some more...but this might be some of the worst...or atleast I think...the market here in sweden don't pay that well...but guess they might be worth more in NA?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Well got no new cards to show...but some bad deals i've done last month.

all cards in near mint and above..most mint.

Sold a Mario Lemieux RC Topps (a bit of center) for 30 USD
Sold a Alex Ovechkin YG for 35 USD
Sold a Pavel Bure RC with auto for 25 USD
Sold a Nicklas Backstrom RC from when he was 17 with auto for 25 USD
Sold a Nicklas Backstrom Pride of a Nation for 35 USD
Sold a Steve Yzerman RC for 15 USD

well got some more...but this might be some of the worst...or atleast I think...the market here in sweden don't pay that well...but guess they might be worth more in NA?

If it makes you feel better Steve Yzerman Topps cards are not worth all that much, unless graded very high. Niklas Backstrom generally doesn't sell very well either. A non-factory auto of Bure, even on a rookie card, isn't worth that much either.

The Topps and Ovechkin deals look rough though..

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I have a bunch of cards from my youth, between 77-78 and 84-85 I think , including rookie cards of a lot of HOF players. They are not in plastic but just in bundles, kept flat, but not in showroom quality. What should I do with them? I like them , but when you have 3 Ray Bourque rookie cards, or Messier, Kurri, etc...I can stand to move some

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, I decided to put it up on eBay for $3,000 OBO :yo:

Thanks!

I'd agree not a bad time to cash in.

Busted 10 blaster boxes of Series 2 last night. Wasn't nearly as lucky as you. Was really hoping for a Laine. No Laine but I did pull 2 Marners so I can't complain.

I have an electronic Mathews on E-Pack that I may swap for a Laine, assuming I don't pull one first.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I have a bunch of cards from my youth, between 77-78 and 84-85 I think , including rookie cards of a lot of HOF players. They are not in plastic but just in bundles, kept flat, but not in showroom quality. What should I do with them? I like them , but when you have 3 Ray Bourque rookie cards, or Messier, Kurri, etc...I can stand to move some

Depends on the condition.

If they are perfect condition with excellent centering, I'd get them graded. Unfortunately otherwise your best bet is craigslist and ebay. Even cards like Bourque rookies aren't worth much, however, unless they are in perfect condition.

For example, a slighgtly dinged up Messier that is slightly off centre may only bring in $40. Get it graded a 9 or higher and the price goes up to $1000+. Check on Ebay for recent sales to get a good idea of pricing.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

If we're talking about 100+ cards, the easiest way to sell them would be to send them to comc.com It'll cost 25 cents per card+1 cent per month per card storage fee before they sell+20 percent cash out fee (eBay+Paypal charge about 13 percent on sales).

COMC is similar to Amazon but strictly for cards. People send in cards they want to sell, for 25 cents a card they scan them and list them on their site for you, you can adjust the price based on the market, and then either use what you make on different cards or cash out. You can also have your cards posted from COMC to eBay and Amazon. If you're willing to invest the 25 cents per card up front, it is the easiest way to do it since you don't have to deal with shipping 100 cards on eBay to 100 different people.

Second best way might be locally on Kijiji/Craigslist. But it can be a huge hassle at times with having to meet up with people, answer more e-mails/questions than other platforms.

eBay would be the fastest way to sell them. Even know COMC cross posts to eBay, selling directly on eBay is still better because their shipping prices to Canada on eBay are very high, so you are't likely to get a lot of Canadian buyers. The huge disadvantage with eBay VS Comc is that if you actually want to sell safely on eBay, you have to use tracking which with Canada Post costs at minimum around 10 bucks. So if you're selling a 20 dollar card, you have the option of either sending it out cheap and taking a risk, or eating a huge chunk of the card's value with shipping. If you have a lot of cards from similar years of big name rookies and just want quick money, selling them as a lot on eBay might be the way to go but you will likely get less than you would selling them individually.

Scanning cards is usually sufficient enough to show their condition.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If we're talking about 100+ cards, the easiest way to sell them would be to send them to comc.com It'll cost 25 cents per card+1 cent per month per card storage fee before they sell+20 percent cash out fee (eBay+Paypal charge about 13 percent on sales).

COMC is similar to Amazon but strictly for cards. People send in cards they want to sell, for 25 cents a card they scan them and list them on their site for you, you can adjust the price based on the market, and then either use what you make on different cards or cash out. You can also have your cards posted from COMC to eBay and Amazon. If you're willing to invest the 25 cents per card up front, it is the easiest way to do it since you don't have to deal with shipping 100 cards on eBay to 100 different people.

Second best way might be locally on Kijiji/Craigslist. But it can be a huge hassle at times with having to meet up with people, answer more e-mails/questions than other platforms.

eBay would be the fastest way to sell them. Even know COMC cross posts to eBay, selling directly on eBay is still better because their shipping prices to Canada on eBay are very high, so you are't likely to get a lot of Canadian buyers. The huge disadvantage with eBay VS Comc is that if you actually want to sell safely on eBay, you have to use tracking which with Canada Post costs at minimum around 10 bucks. So if you're selling a 20 dollar card, you have the option of either sending it out cheap and taking a risk, or eating a huge chunk of the card's value with shipping. If you have a lot of cards from similar years of big name rookies and just want quick money, selling them as a lot on eBay might be the way to go but you will likely get less than you would selling them individually.

Scanning cards is usually sufficient enough to show their condition.

I've never used COMC. Do you think it's worth it for selling random inserts like YGs? It seems like with the basic listing fees, it'd only be worth it to sell cards that are worth at least $10.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
I'd agree not a bad time to cash in.

Busted 10 blaster boxes of Series 2 last night. Wasn't nearly as lucky as you. Was really hoping for a Laine. No Laine but I did pull 2 Marners so I can't complain.

I have an electronic Mathews on E-Pack that I may swap for a Laine, assuming I don't pull one first.

My buddy finally got a Laine last week after busting countless blasters. Two Marners is pretty sweet, though. He's an absolute treat to watch, so it's a shame his value seems to have dipped a little bit.

Those e-Packs can be a slippery slope since they're just so convenient. I got put off a bit by them after getting a Clear Cut Superstars Kopitar that came damaged in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad