Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Just finished opening my 2 boxes of 15/16 Series 2 and i would say my streak is over.

Young guns- Vermin, Athinasiou, Vatrano, Hannikainen, Hinostroza, Wideman, Randell, Driedger, Hartman, Stephenson, Virtanen, Ullmark and Canvas young guns of Saros and Goldobin.

UD game jersey- Kopitar and Rookie Kenins

O-pee-chee Marquee Rookies- Stephenson, Panarin, Ullmark, Condon, McCann, Athansiou, Domi, Hanifin, Donskoi, Slepyshev

O-pee-chee RC - Forbort, O'Connor, Mcginn

Portraits Rookies- Mcginn, Hanifin, Virtanen, Panarin, Stephenson, Koekkoek, Brickley, Faksa

Canvas- Malkin, Sharp, Mason, Hall, Seguin, V.Rask.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think i am going to limit myself to maybe a couple hobby boxes per year just for the fun of pulling cards like that Mcdavid and mostly stick to Retail boxes to try and collect young guns like Blankall said. Seems smarter only paying $30 and still hitting on guys like Matthews. I still have to open my 15/16 Series 2 boxes which i will be doing shortly.

Retail goes on sale too. Usually you'll be able to find it for 40% off. Old retail can be found online cheap too.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The one thing that sucks about opeing boxes is ending up with a lot of doubles, triples, quadruples of all the base cards. Even my young guns i have doubles of Dvorak, Tkachuk, Connor, Bigras, Sanford and 3 Czarnik's. Would like to get Puljujarvvi, Provorov, Werenski, Chychrun

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The one thing that sucks about opeing boxes is ending up with a lot of doubles, triples, quadruples of all the base cards. Even my young guns i have doubles of Dvorak, Tkachuk, Connor, Bigras, Sanford and 3 Czarnik's. Would like to get Puljujarvvi, Provorov, Werenski, Chychrun

Yeah.. I have a lot of base. A couple times a year, I give it away on Craigslist. Usually get an email back saying some kids mind was blown.

I keep 3 of each base set for myself.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Apparently lots of solid discounted hobby boxes are showing up at random Wal-Marts via whoever the distributor is for their older cards.

I mentioned a while back I saw a 1999 UD Series 2 Hobby box. Off the top of my head, some people have seen Heroes+Prospects, 12-13 Rookie Anthology. 30 bucks seems to be the standard price. 12-13 Rookie Anthology isn't as good as 13-14, but at 30 CAD+Tax is a nice low risk buy with 2 autos/2 memorabilia cards per box.

4c209a100fcbfa945d5f38a65f7f92ce.jpg

(http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/hockey/1065812-walmart-30-boxes.html)

I would have been tempted to grab all four of those Rookie Anthology boxes. :laugh:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
How many young guns comes in an 18 fat pack box?

1:4 on average but if you buy them online from a random person and not in a sealed case be aware they can be "searched" for YGs. Meaning if you are buying a bunch there is a risk that there person could have bought a case, "searched" for the YG packs and then sold the other packs to recoup some of what they spent.

Not counting the extra base, a fat pack is the same as a retail pack. One insert per fat pack with the rest being base. So you're better off buying tins/24 pack retail boxes since fat packs are usually more expensive per pack.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Apparently lots of solid discounted hobby boxes are showing up at random Wal-Marts via whoever the distributor is for their older cards.

I mentioned a while back I saw a 1999 UD Series 2 Hobby box. Off the top of my head, some people have seen Heroes+Prospects, 12-13 Rookie Anthology. 30 bucks seems to be the standard price. 12-13 Rookie Anthology isn't as good as 13-14, but at 30 CAD+Tax is a nice low risk buy with 2 autos/2 memorabilia cards per box.

4c209a100fcbfa945d5f38a65f7f92ce.jpg

(http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/hockey/1065812-walmart-30-boxes.html)

I would have been tempted to grab all four of those Rookie Anthology boxes. :laugh:

Picked up two boxes of 2006/7 heroes and prospects last week for $30 CAD. The best card was a Doughty Auto. The 2nd box I opened had no autos or mem cards until the last 2 packs. Then the Doughty and a Wacey Rabbit glove card came out.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Picked up two boxes of 2006/7 heroes and prospects last week for $30 CAD. The best card was a Doughty Auto. The 2nd box I opened had no autos or mem cards until the last 2 packs. Then the Doughty and a Wacey Rabbit glove card came out.

Heroes and Prospects is a scary break. You get a lot of hits, but the risk of them being busts or former junior guys who are now no name players is high. That Doughty sounds like a nice pull though.

e956b7a99e6c9f30b935912cd0055652.jpg

That's what someone in the thread pulled. 3 guys who I have never heard of....and Mike Richards which is a nice enough hit.

There are some really nice hits in Rookie Anthology. Big name autos, titanium update true rookies. Obviously, these are long shots. But even discounting rookie cards/inserts, you're paying 7.5+tax for a shot at 2 autos/2 jerseys which isn't a surefire break even, but it is probably one of the better card gambles I can think of for 30 bucks.

Now if it was 13-14 rookie anthology.......that'd be a hell of a deal.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Do a lot of places have good boxing week sales on UD series 1 or 2 products? Would they be better than the odd 12 days of Christmas sales that are going on now?

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Long time Caps fan but haven't collected cards for probably 15 years. Finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Gem Mint 10 Ovechkin Young Guns rookie. What is the general value of this card?

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Long time Caps fan but haven't collected cards for probably 15 years. Finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Gem Mint 10 Ovechkin Young Guns rookie. What is the general value of this card?

which company graded it a 10? PSA is ~$180-200 USD, beckett (BGS) could be double that. Other companies could be half.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Thank you for your response. PSA graded it. I paid $190 so it looks like that was quite fair.

I really regret not picking one up a few years ago when he was slumping and the CAD was on par with the USD. Could have had one for under $100 CAD.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Heroes and Prospects is a scary break. You get a lot of hits, but the risk of them being busts or former junior guys who are now no name players is high. That Doughty sounds like a nice pull though.

That's what someone in the thread pulled. 3 guys who I have never heard of....and Mike Richards which is a nice enough hit.

There are some really nice hits in Rookie Anthology. Big name autos, titanium update true rookies. Obviously, these are long shots. But even discounting rookie cards/inserts, you're paying 7.5+tax for a shot at 2 autos/2 jerseys which isn't a surefire break even, but it is probably one of the better card gambles I can think of for 30 bucks.

That year actually has a lot of big names: Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Pavelski, Tavares, Ovechkin, etc. Plus all the "hero" cards. It's one of the better years.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail

I bought 2 boxes a few months ago in Calgary. Opened 1 box and got a 3 color patch of Eric Staal and an auto of a nobody. The other box I sold to a friend and he got a Stamkos auto in that box.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Does anyone know if the series 1 2015/2016 boxes Walmart are selling in Canada that come with the "oversize young gun card" actually contain regular young guns in the packs?

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Does anyone know if the series 1 2015/2016 boxes Walmart are selling in Canada that come with the "oversize young gun card" actually contain regular young guns in the packs?

Those are tins and they contain 3 YGs a tin. However, don't waste your money on them. Unless you get a McDavid YG or an Eichel YG canvas, you are guaranteed to lose your money. 15-16 Series 1 was way overproduced and pretty much all YGs won't even sell for a buck. You spend $50 on a tin that you won't likely get back $2 for. It's 90s cards all over again.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

They each contain 2....or at least they should, assuming they haven't been tampered with.

As Someguy44 stated, 2015 is really dependent on hitting the McDavid to get value. There is some value in the oversized McDavid YG that comes from the blasters though.

There is some small value with some of the other YGs. A Panarin or Larkin might sell for $10. Players like Ehlers, Bennett, and Domi might bring $5. The blasters also contain Shinning Stars defence cards, which sell for $2-$10 each.

At $29.99 CAD the blasters are overpriced. If they go on sale for 40% off though...then I'd be all over them.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Those are tins and they contain 3 YGs a tin. However, don't waste your money on them. Unless you get a McDavid YG or an Eichel YG canvas, you are guaranteed to lose your money. 15-16 Series 1 was way overproduced and pretty much all YGs won't even sell for a buck. You spend $50 on a tin that you won't likely get back $2 for. It's 90s cards all over again.

Walmart is selling blasters with an oversized young guns card. These are definitely blasters and not tins.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Received a couple of 11 pack boxes today that i ordered from a site, buy one get on 50% off. Pulled another Matthews YG. The only Ygi pulled that i ddidn'thave was a Tyler Motte Canvas YG. Then i ended up with a triple of Sanford, Dvorak and Connor and doubles of Mike Reilly and Schmaltz. Its frustrating pulling the same cards over and over but getting another Matthews made it worth it as i only paid $67

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
So in my 2 retail boxes of 16-17 series 1 I pulled Matthews, nylander, buchnevich, and mantha young guns, along with a marner yg canvas. Could not have made out much better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad