Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I've sold a lot on eBay (not hockey cards) and have never had one issue. I used to be paranoid about this going in, but through dozens of sales, nobody has ever tried to pull a charge back scam on me. Sell with tracking+insurance and print the shipping label directly from Paypal and you'll usually be covered. I would probably have sold that card on eBay, or at least played hard ball trading it into a hobby shop because you know with how hot McDavid is, they can flip it in a day and make 100-200 bucks on it even if they pay you 75 percent of its value. Typically, it is normal to expect 40-50 on a trade in, but with something so in demand, you would think the seller would have more leverage.

Granted, I understand when you're selling cards valued 1-10 dollar, you have to bite the bullet and ship via letter mail, which is untracked, so I can see where that would leave you open to a scam.

I've sold several hundred and had 3 scams.

1. A credit card was charged back via paypal, after it had been discovered the credit card was stolen. Lost $30.

2. Someone claimed not to have received a shipment even though the exact same serialized card came up for sale several weeks later from the same small town in Quebec. This was a $90 card, and I should have sent it via registered mail.

3. Someone simply claimed not to receive a package of about $20 in cards. I could tell from the replies he was full of it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I always love The Cup Brilliance cards for some reason lol.

I'm getting my first one in the mail shortly. Ratanen. It looks amazing online, and I can't wait to see what it looks like in person.

It's really amazing how low these cards sell for. Even the Bobby Orr Brilliances only go for about $100 CAD, which is less than most of his other autos. I don't get it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm getting my first one in the mail shortly. Ratanen. It looks amazing online, and I can't wait to see what it looks like in person.

It's really amazing how low these cards sell for. Even the Bobby Orr Brilliances only go for about $100 CAD, which is less than most of his other autos. I don't get it.

Haha same with me. I try to get the Avs rookie ones every year so naturally have to get Rants. I have a Mackinnon one and a Peter Forsberg one. Just love how they look.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I've sold several hundred and had 3 scams.

1. A credit card was charged back via paypal, after it had been discovered the credit card was stolen. Lost $30.

2. Someone claimed not to have received a shipment even though the exact same serialized card came up for sale several weeks later from the same small town in Quebec. This was a $90 card, and I should have sent it via registered mail.

3. Someone simply claimed not to receive a package of about $20 in cards. I could tell from the replies he was full of it.

Like I said, I get that with less valuable cards, other than going the less efficient COMC route, you pretty much have to go with letter mail. But with something worth 800-1000, you can spending 20 bucks to send it signature confirmed/insured/tracked while also printing the label directly via Paypal is pretty low risk, and 20-30 dollars of an items value to shipping on a 1000 dollar card is a much smaller percentage of the sale than 10 dollars for shipping on a 20 dollar card (half the value of the card).

Selling anything online is never risk free, but I wouldn't worry all that much about selling something tracked/insured/printed via paypal/signature confirmation for larger value items. Each to his own, but all I am saying is that I wouldn't leave up to 500 on the table over that risk.

edit: with that said, 500 CAD up front isn't THAT bad for that card. I just looked and some have sold for 900 CAD+ on eBay, but there are a lot in the 700 range, and ebay+paypal charge 13 percent fees. So once you take off the almost 100 bucks in fees, on the low end selling a McDavid FWA auto for 500 hassle free is like leaving 100 on the table which is pretty fair for that kind of deal. 200 on the higher end which is a bit harder to stomach but isn't that bad if you aren't experienced in selling online. If the card was still going for 900-1000, 500 would have been a bit low.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Like I said, I get that with less valuable cards, other than going the less efficient COMC route, you pretty much have to go with letter mail. But with something worth 800-1000, you can spending 20 bucks to send it signature confirmed/insured/tracked while also printing the label directly via Paypal is pretty low risk, and 20-30 dollars of an items value to shipping on a 1000 dollar card is a much smaller percentage of the sale than 10 dollars for shipping on a 20 dollar card (half the value of the card).

Selling anything online is never risk free, but I wouldn't worry all that much about selling something tracked/insured/printed via paypal/signature confirmation for larger value items. Each to his own, but all I am saying is that I wouldn't leave up to 500 on the table over that risk.

Fair enough. I don't deal with many high end cards. I keep the higher end stuff in my PC and then try to make a portion of my money back via selling the low end singles. Usually only get $1-$2 from them, but it adds up.

I think you're right though. At $500 he was leaving a lot on the table for a FWA of McDavid. I've probably held onto it, if that was the best offer around.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Found a local listing of a Lot of 47 young guns from 15/16 Series 2 for $95. The only ones missing are Eichel, Virtanen and some guy ive never heard of. This is a good deal, no?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Found a local listing of a Lot of 47 young guns from 15/16 Series 2 for $95. The only ones missing are Eichel, Virtanen and some guy ive never heard of. This is a good deal, no?

That's probably not a good deal. That's about 2 dollars per Young Gun.

Once you take out Eichel, there are very few YGs in that set worth 2 Canadian dollars or more. I'm referring to what you can get the cards for online, and not at a card shop which might charge more, but you've got Fucale, Athanaesiou, Virtanen, and then maybe Shea Theodore all attainable for 2-4 CAD. The other cards sans Eichel are well under 1 dollar. The YG lineup is really weak once you take Eichel out.

I understand you're new to collecting, but I think an important thing to do is to decide what you're into and streamline what you're buying. This goes for anything people collect. I find people get really excited with a new collecting based hobby and buy ANYTHING they perceive to be a deal, regardless of whether they really want it.

Me for example, I stick to collecting Senators. Its a slow process because I'm not going to drop a 100s on cards, and I am mostly using Comc to finance my collection, but I like to try and get one decent hit of every Sens player from 2013 onwards (off topic, that is where I miss Panini putting out autos for low end players). I also like to grab one insert from each set that I like aesthetically rather than buying the entire set of cards that look the same but are different players.

So what I am saying is, try to figure out what you enjoy most collecting. Is it rookie cards of various players? Is it Maple Leafs players? Do you enjoy chasing entire sets? Do you strictly enjoy "gambling" on opening boxes?

If you want a general idea of what a card is worth, check out sold listings on eBay. You type in a card name, and then at the left side of the search results check the bar that says "Sold Listings". You have to apply a bit of critical thinking because some super short print cards (like out of 25 or less) or really hard pulls of less popular players usually go for less at auction due to less demand for that player but will usually sell more at BIN (but take longer to sell). But as a whole, it is the best way available to understand card values. Beckett price guides are a good tool to have as well, but it is my understanding that sometimes the prices in the price guides are a bit inflated.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
That's probably not a good deal. That's about 2 dollars per Young Gun.

Once you take out Eichel, there are very few YGs in that set worth 2 Canadian dollars or more. I'm referring to what you can get the cards for online, and not at a card shop which might charge more, but you've got Fucale, Athanaesiou, Virtanen, and then maybe Shea Theodore all attainable for 2-4 CAD. The other cards sans Eichel are well under 1 dollar. The YG lineup is really weak once you take Eichel out.

I understand you're new to collecting, but I think an important thing to do is to decide what you're into and streamline what you're buying. This goes for anything people collect. I find people get really excited with a new collecting based hobby and buy ANYTHING they perceive to be a deal, regardless of whether they really want it.

Me for example, I stick to collecting Senators. Its a slow process because I'm not going to drop a 100s on cards, and I am mostly using Comc to finance my collection, but I like to try and get one decent hit of every Sens player from 2013 onwards (off topic, that is where I miss Panini putting out autos for low end players). I also like to grab one insert from each set that I like aesthetically rather than buying the entire set of cards that look the same but are different players.

So what I am saying is, try to figure out what you enjoy most collecting. Is it rookie cards of various players? Is it Maple Leafs players? Do you enjoy chasing entire sets? Do you strictly enjoy "gambling" on opening boxes?

If you want a general idea of what a card is worth, check out sold listings on eBay. You type in a card name, and then at the left side of the search results check the bar that says "Sold Listings". You have to apply a bit of critical thinking because some super short print cards (like out of 25 or less) or really hard pulls of less popular players usually go for less at auction due to less demand for that player but will usually sell more at BIN (but take longer to sell). But as a whole, it is the best way available to understand card values. Beckett price guides are a good tool to have as well, but it is my understanding that sometimes the prices in the price guides are a bit inflated.

Very good post, however, I want to touch on the 47 YGs for $95. While $2 may seem like a lot of for a lot of those guys if you compare to ebay. You gotta keep in mind that for every $0.50-$1 YG you are also paying another $1.50+ for shipping. So this deal isn't that bad...for sure if you can get him down some that would be good but don't feel bad if he you pay his full price, assuming your building the set. BTW the YG set is one of the most popular sets each year so you picked a good if this your first.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Very good post, however, I want to touch on the 47 YGs for $95. While $2 may seem like a lot of for a lot of those guys if you compare to ebay. You gotta keep in mind that for every $0.50-$1 YG you are also paying another $1.50+ for shipping. So this deal isn't that bad...for sure if you can get him down some that would be good but don't feel bad if he you pay his full price, assuming your building the set. BTW the YG set is one of the most popular sets each year so you picked a good if this your first.

I just checked. Even with shipping+duties to Canada you can buy the entire YG series 2 set -Eichel for around 55 CAD on Comc. So we're talking about almost half of what the OP is being offered. It is a really really cheap set once you take out Eichel. Keep in mind, this is WITHOUT taking the time to work Comc and send offers to get the cards for cheaper, which isn't that hard to do.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
I just checked. Even with shipping+duties to Canada you can buy the entire YG series 2 set -Eichel for around 55 CAD on Comc. So we're talking about almost half of what the OP is being offered. It is a really really cheap set once you take out Eichel. Keep in mind, this is WITHOUT taking the time to work Comc and send offers to get the cards for cheaper, which isn't that hard to do.

Good point on COMC, if he's prepared to do a bit more work then some savings can be had.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Good point on COMC, if he's prepared to do a bit more work then some savings can be had.

Might be misreading what you're saying, but I'd argue it is less work to buy them off of Comc. 5 minutes to add them all to your cart and check out in COMC vs him having to meet a guy since he said it was a local listing (I'd assume Craiglist or COMC).

It'd already be 40 bucks cheaper without the hassle of offers on COMC, but he could do that if he wanted to save more.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Having the weirdest luck with young guns this year. Have about 30 different ones, but 25ish doubles already. One of this doubles is Matthews, so won't complain too much, but a Nylander would be nice too.

Might just stop searching though. Last year once the epacks hit all non-McDavid YGs absolutely tanked in value, even strong rookies like Panarin and Domi could be had for next to nothing. That might be the best way to finish the set.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Opened 2 hobby boxes last night and Pulled the following young guns- Nylander, Hyman, Heinen, Mike Reilly, Schmaltz, Vesey, Mantha, Trevor Carrick, Santini, and a Canvas Young guns of Laine.

Also pulled UD game jersey cards of Parise, Klingberg and Morgan Rielly. I pulled two clear cards that look like holograms of Crosby and Backstrom.

Went to the Barrie colts game last night and was in Barrie an hour early so i went to Walmart and bought a 13 pack 16/17 retail box and opened packs to kill the time. Ended up with a Matthews young guns

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Opened 2 hobby boxes last night and Pulled the following young guns- Nylander, Hyman, Heinen, Mike Reilly, Schmaltz, Vesey, Mantha, Trevor Carrick, Santini, and a Canvas Young guns of Laine.

Also pulled UD game jersey cards of Parise, Klingberg and Morgan Rielly. I pulled two clear cards that look like holograms of Crosby and Backstrom.

Went to the Barrie colts game last night and was in Barrie an hour early so i went to Walmart and bought a 13 pack 16/17 retail box and opened packs to kill the time. Ended up with a Matthews young guns
You're killing it. That Laine is huge.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Should quit while you're ahead, you're having crazy pack luck. :laugh:

laine canvas=200 cad roughly
Matthews YG=150 cad roughly

If that Crosby is the acetate parallel of the base card, it is a 30 dollar card right now give or take. Nylander is also 30 on a good day right now, with Every being 15ish.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

If that Crosby is the acetate parallel of the base card, it is a 30 dollar card right now give or take. Nylander is also 30 on a good day right now, with Every being 15ish.

Problem is i am starting to get addicted lol

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Probably the shining stars and not the acetate. The blue versions look pretty "hologramy".

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I'd satisfy the urge by trying to find some slightly older stuff discounted. Better value, plus for the dollar you get to break a lot more. I've ordered 10 retail boxes of older stuff for about $30. A lot of fun to break that much product, and you typically walk away with at least one of every young from the set, and hit some big cards in multiples.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

That's because it is the equivalent of gambling. I would figure out how much is appropriate/comfortable to spend on the hobby each month and try to limit yourself to that. If you start blowing crazy money on packs, in the long run you're going to pull a lot less than you spend, and you might really regret having spent that much on what amounts to easily obtainable cardboard.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
That's because it is the equivalent of gambling. I would figure out how much is appropriate/comfortable to spend on the hobby each month and try to limit yourself to that. If you start blowing crazy money on packs, in the long run you're going to pull a lot less than you spend, and you might really regret having spent that much on what amounts to easily obtainable cardboard.

I think i am going to limit myself to maybe a couple hobby boxes per year just for the fun of pulling cards like that Mcdavid and mostly stick to Retail boxes to try and collect young guns like Blankall said. Seems smarter only paying $30 and still hitting on guys like Matthews. I still have to open my 15/16 Series 2 boxes which i will be doing shortly.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
I think i am going to limit myself to maybe a couple hobby boxes per year just for the fun of pulling cards like that Mcdavid and mostly stick to Retail boxes to try and collect young guns like Blankall said. Seems smarter only paying $30 and still hitting on guys like Matthews. I still have to open my 15/16 Series 2 boxes which i will be doing shortly.

i also recommend trying out group breaks, they are a good way to collect specific teams on a budget..as long as you don't collect montreal/edmonton/toronto lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad