Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Would anyone buy a Gretzky rookie card for more than $300-$400 if it wasn't graded? Maybe an expert, I guess.

Not a Topps one unless it looked great. An OPC one that isn't perfect but just isn't creased or badly damaged is easily worth that.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Would anyone buy a Gretzky rookie card for more than $300-$400 if it wasn't graded? Maybe an expert, I guess.

Buying any ungraded Gretzky rookie is risky.

Many poor conditioned Gretzky rookies that are authentic are being encapsulated to ensure their authenticity. At the current price point (and it's not, if ever, going to go down) the risk of counterfeit is too high considering you can buy counterfeits on Fleabay.

polepoplarpope

Nov 8, 2005
Alberta.
Buying any ungraded Gretzky rookie is risky.

Many poor conditioned Gretzky rookies that are authentic are being encapsulated to ensure their authenticity. At the current price point (and it's not, if ever, going to go down) the risk of counterfeit is too high considering you can buy counterfeits on Fleabay.

Where could you buy cards other than on eBay? Other than a local card store.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
OPC Score and MVP are very low end.

Series 1 and 2 are more worth collecting IMO, because of the Young Guns rookie cards.

I thought the MVP box included rookie cards? I may be wrong. I talked to my uncle. He buys the MVP sets for his grandson and he said last week he got an autographed Mcdavid card and he's gotten an autographed Gretzky card out of them as well.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Where could you buy cards other than on eBay? Other than a local card store.
ComC, Facebook, Reddit, many card message boards, Amazon, etc.

Blowout cards is the best place to buy cards in the states. They are dirt cheap. Where I live card shows are still prevelant and getting hockey cards outside of Hawks at bargain basement prices is very common.

I highly doubt anywhere else you can get three Matthews young guns for under a hundred dollars.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Was doing some Christmas shopping today and got looking at some of the boxes of hockey cards. The Brands that i saw were mostly Upper deck then Oppeechee and The Score. Of the Upper deck series they had MVP, Series one and Series 2. Which one would you guys say is worth collecting?

I thought the MVP box included rookie cards? I may be wrong. I talked to my uncle. He buys the MVP sets for his grandson and he said last week he got an autographed Mcdavid card and he's gotten an autographed Gretzky card out of them as well.

What the other poster means is that MVP and OPC are low priced brands that as a whole aren't worth much on the secondary market and aren't as popular with collectors.

Upper Deck Series 1/2 is considered to be the "main" set to collect. It is the most popular set, and the "Young Guns" rookie cards are considered the hobbies main rookie card. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the best value out of buying Series 1/2, but if you mean worth collecting by having cards people might actually want in 5-10 years, then Series 1/2 is your answer. You have to keep in mind that with any cards you're buying out of sealed boxes/packs, the saying "the house always wins" is true. Aside from getting one really lucky box and stopping while you're ahead, on average you're not going to profit value wise on ripping packs/boxes. It just doesn't work that way. If you go to a card store and buy $500 of sealed products, you almost certainly will not walk away with $500 worth of cards.

You can get autograph cards in both MVP, OPC, and UD series 1 but these are extreme short prints. You can read the package to see what the odds are to pull each type of card, but autos in these products (particular OPC and MVP) are very hard to find. So if you want autographs, I would not go with MVP, OPC, or UD series 1. If you're willing to spend $150 on a hobby box, I would go with SP Authentic. Artifacts is another product with a guarantee of getting autos+jerseys per every hobby (not retail) box that is popular and is a bit cheaper. You can get 14-15 for 80 CAD.

If this is a gift, and it is for a kid, I might go with an O-Pee-Chee hobby box. Bonus points if you get a previous year. You can find them for 30-40 CAD if you go with 14-15 or 13-14. On average, they aren't going to pull anything worth any real money, but with an OPC Hobby Box you'll get 32 packs and tons of different inserts (cards that look different than the main set). With 16-17 series 1, you get a shot at more valuable cards, but the fun factor of a 40 dollar 32 pack box of OPC for a kid might be greater than getting an 8(?) pack blaster of 16-17 series 1 for 30 bucks that'll have 2 YGs and maybe another 4-5 inserts.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Anybody else doing incredibly well with Comc's Black Friday sales?

I'm not a big time seller on there by any means. I probably average 2 bucks in profit per day with a very hands off least time devoted as possible approach, and I've sold about the same in the last few days as I'd sell in 2-3 weeks.

polepoplarpope

Nov 8, 2005
Alberta.
ComC, Facebook, Reddit, many card message boards, Amazon, etc.

Blowout cards is the best place to buy cards in the states. They are dirt cheap. Where I live card shows are still prevelant and getting hockey cards outside of Hawks at bargain basement prices is very common.

I highly doubt anywhere else you can get three Matthews young guns for under a hundred dollars.

Wow. I didn't realize there are so many options.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
What the other poster means is that MVP and OPC are low priced brands that as a whole aren't worth much on the secondary market and aren't as popular with collectors.

Upper Deck Series 1/2 is considered to be the "main" set to collect. It is the most popular set, and the "Young Guns" rookie cards are considered the hobbies main rookie card. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the best value out of buying Series 1/2, but if you mean worth collecting by having cards people might actually want in 5-10 years, then Series 1/2 is your answer. You have to keep in mind that with any cards you're buying out of sealed boxes/packs, the saying "the house always wins" is true. Aside from getting one really lucky box and stopping while you're ahead, on average you're not going to profit value wise on ripping packs/boxes. It just doesn't work that way. If you go to a card store and buy $500 of sealed products, you almost certainly will not walk away with $500 worth of cards.

You can get autograph cards in both MVP, OPC, and UD series 1 but these are extreme short prints. You can read the package to see what the odds are to pull each type of card, but autos in these products (particular OPC and MVP) are very hard to find. So if you want autographs, I would not go with MVP, OPC, or UD series 1. If you're willing to spend $150 on a hobby box, I would go with SP Authentic. Artifacts is another product with a guarantee of getting autos+jerseys per every hobby (not retail) box that is popular and is a bit cheaper. You can get 14-15 for 80 CAD.

If this is a gift, and it is for a kid, I might go with an O-Pee-Chee hobby box. Bonus points if you get a previous year. You can find them for 30-40 CAD if you go with 14-15 or 13-14. On average, they aren't going to pull anything worth any real money, but with an OPC Hobby Box you'll get 32 packs and tons of different inserts (cards that look different than the main set). With 16-17 series 1, you get a shot at more valuable cards, but the fun factor of a 40 dollar 32 pack box of OPC for a kid might be greater than getting an 8(?) pack blaster of 16-17 series 1 for 30 bucks that'll have 2 YGs and maybe another 4-5 inserts.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Wait,15-16 cup isn't even out yet ? :laugh:

For a release this late there better be no event worn jersey pieces or redemptions even though it will be littered with event worn crap and filled with redemptions. For $700 a pack I'd demand an elite RC or a Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Richard etc Auto patch in a pack. I just know my luck I'll pull some bum 25 year old 7th round rookie as my ARP and a low print run of someone like Andrew Ladd as my main hit. No thanks.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wait,15-16 cup isn't even out yet ? :laugh:

For a release this late there better be no event worn jersey pieces or redemptions even though it will be littered with event worn crap and filled with redemptions. For $700 a pack I'd demand an elite RC or a Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Richard etc Auto patch in a pack. I just know my luck I'll pull some bum 25 year old 7th round rookie as my ARP and a low print run of someone like Andrew Ladd as my main hit. No thanks.

Comes out tomorrow. The previews actually show a lot of major hits, and the scarcity of it suggests that it hasn't been mass produced...either that or the distributors are holding it back to create fake scarcity.

It's really expensive this year. Not that I'd ever buy the cup anyways. I did decide this year to gamble $100 on a group break. Got 5 spots out of 30 in a single box break for $100CAD. This is pure gambling though, and odds are I'll get one card worth about $20. Fun to think about hitting that McDavid shield though.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Are Parkhurst Rookie Cards good?

Short answer is no for the green ones.

They are Canadian exclusives so they will peak in value right now with Americans trying to get them on eBay.

There are green (little value) blue (more value) and red (most value) versions of each rookie that come in the 3 card bonus pack. (Assuming no changes from last years format).

If you hit a red of a really hot rookie, it is a big card. Matthews is going for nearly 100, but the price will likely drop. I don't know the odds of hitting a red of a good player so I wouldnt just go buying these blasters thinking youre gonna spend 50 bucks and get 50 or more worth of cards. It's a gamble.

edit: but good when it comes to collecting is defined by what you enjoy collecting. By your previous posts, it sounds like you're really hung up on pulling cards that you might be able to get some long term value on. Like I said in my last post, there are no products in existence that you can consistently break even/make money on just buying occasional boxes. If you spend $500 on series 1, odds are you walk away with 200-300 bucks worth of cards. If you're into speculating and you know a lot about the sport and a lot about prospects, you can buy cards of unknowns/late picks before players blow up. But that's easier said than done. The only way to really make a profit off of the hobby is with short term flipping. Even Matthews rookie card probably will go down significantly from what it is selling for right now.

Breaking packs/boxes is the equivalent of scratch tickets. Which is fine if you enjoy them, don't overspend, and understand that. Sometimes you might win, most of the time you lose, and as a whole you won't end up ahead. Which is why if you're going to buy packs/boxes, although considering the value is important, you should buy packs/boxes of products that appeal to you. Even if that is something that isn't popular in the hobby. Because if you're going to come out behind, you might as well come out with some cards that you actually want to keep.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Comes out tomorrow. The previews actually show a lot of major hits, and the scarcity of it suggests that it hasn't been mass produced...either that or the distributors are holding it back to create fake scarcity.

It's really expensive this year. Not that I'd ever buy the cup anyways. I did decide this year to gamble $100 on a group break. Got 5 spots out of 30 in a single box break for $100CAD. This is pure gambling though, and odds are I'll get one card worth about $20. Fun to think about hitting that McDavid shield though.

So $700(?) for a pack of cards is absurd, I think we can all agree on that. But I can sort of see the logic in gambling on The Cup. If you hit something huge, you're looking at a card that you probably could never afford as a single. So the upside is much greater than buying a $150 box of series 1 where aside from something like a McDavid/Matthews high gloss or exclusives, even the biggest hits are in the 100-200 range, with most being less.

With that said, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. $700 for a few cards leaves a lot of room to miss. Someone could buy around 10 boxes of different products ranging from $70-$150 with that and maybe have a lot more fun. Then if we're just talking about buying singles, the amount of hits you could buy with $700 from different lower end to mid end products would be staggering.

Edit: First McDavid /99 RPA sold for between 8000-9200 on eBay.
Someone paid between 4k-5k for his Signature Patches auto pulled in the first box of this vid.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

They are Canadian exclusives so they will peak in value right now with Americans trying to get them on eBay.

There are green (little value) blue (more value) and red (most value) versions of each rookie that come in the 3 card bonus pack. (Assuming no changes from last years format).

If you hit a red of a really hot rookie, it is a big card. Matthews is going for nearly 100, but the price will likely drop. I don't know the odds of hitting a red of a good player so I wouldnt just go buying these blasters thinking youre gonna spend 50 bucks and get 50 or more worth of cards. It's a gamble.

edit: but good when it comes to collecting is defined by what you enjoy collecting. By your previous posts, it sounds like you're really hung up on pulling cards that you might be able to get some long term value on. Like I said in my last post, there are no products in existence that you can consistently break even/make money on just buying occasional boxes. If you spend $500 on series 1, odds are you walk away with 200-300 bucks worth of cards. If you're into speculating and you know a lot about the sport and a lot about prospects, you can buy cards of unknowns/late picks before players blow up. But that's easier said than done. The only way to really make a profit off of the hobby is with short term flipping. Even Matthews rookie card probably will go down significantly from what it is selling for right now.

Breaking packs/boxes is the equivalent of scratch tickets. Which is fine if you enjoy them, don't overspend, and understand that. Sometimes you might win, most of the time you lose, and as a whole you won't end up ahead. Which is why if you're going to buy packs/boxes, although considering the value is important, you should buy packs/boxes of products that appeal to you. Even if that is something that isn't popular in the hobby. Because if you're going to come out behind, you might as well come out with some cards that you actually want to keep.

I bought my first box of 2016/2017 Upper Deck Series 1 cards a few hours ago. I probably will still keep a seperate binder, collecting various players around the league for fun as i am not usually one to throw away stuff. I will be keeping a binder for the stuff that is valuable/collectibe.
Here is what i got today.
Young Guns Rookie Cards- Mathew Tkachuk, Christian Dvorak, Kyle Connor, Chris Bigras, Zach Sanford, Austin Czarnik and a UD Portrait Rookies Pavel Zacha.

Clear Cut Supertars - Connor Mcdavid

Shining Stars - Zach Parise, Sidney Crosby, Daniel Sedin, Evgeny Kuznetsov

UD Portraits - Pietrangelo , Morgan Rielly, Aleksander Barkov, Joe Thornton.

Goalie Nightmares - Dylan Larkin, JVR, Brad Marchand

Super Colossal - Shawn Thornton, Wayne Simmonds

Series One checklist 1-100 Crosby and Pavelski. Series One Checklist 101-200 Krejci and Galchenyuk

UD Canvas - John Gibson, Voracek, Silfverberg, Brock Nelson.

Everything else im pretty sure were just regular cards.What can you tell me about some of these cards/ how did i do? Much appreciated, Thanks!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I bought my first box of 2016/2017 Upper Deck Series 1 cards a few hours ago. I probably will still keep a seperate binder, collecting various players around the league for fun as i am not usually one to throw away stuff. I will be keeping a binder for the stuff that is valuable/collectibe.
Young Guns Rookie Cards- Mathew Tkachuk, Christian Dvorak, Kyle Connor, Chris Bigras, Zach Sanford, Austin Czarnik and a UD Portrait Rookies Pavel Zacha.

Series One checklist 1-100 Crosby and Pavelski. Series One Checklist 101-200 Krejci and Galchenyuk

Everything else im pretty sure were just regular cards.What can you tell me about some of these cards/ how did i do? Much appreciated, Thanks!

The McD CC is worth more than the rest combined IMO.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

The Clear Cut Superstars McDavid is a really good pull. Value aside, the CCS' are really nice looking cards if you're a fan of acetate cards.

$_57.JPG

On a good day, that card alone almost covers the cost of the box. They are selling for 75-100 CAD on eBay right now, but it is a pretty hard pull, Clear Cut Superstars fall less than 1 per case (apparently 1:360 packs) so if they dry up on eBay, and you're patient you might be able to get a bit more for it.

I find that CCS don't seem to be as big of a hit as they should be considering how hard they are to pull. Some of the lesser names can be had for a few bucks. But because that card is a McDavid, and because it is a hard pull it has a lot of value. Long term though, I would guess it wouldn't hold its value but I could be wrong.

All those insert cards aren't really worth much. They are fun if you like the designs but in Series 1/2 they are mostly just there to beef up the set. Especially with ePack, you can buy most of those canvas and shining stars inserts for pennies+shipping on Comc and I'd imagine complete sets aren't that hard to find on eBay at a decent price.

Tkachuk is a decent YG to pull. He is going for like 5-10 CAD right now, but that'll go down after the initial release premium wears off. Otherwise, the other YGs are worth a buck or two+shipping (maybe a bit more in an in person sale).

As far as how you did, the McDavid card made the box. Anytime you even get close to breaking even let alone profiting off of a box of current year product you've done very well. Great looking card of the most in demand player right now. A very hard pull, and it could probably cover the cost or most of the cost of the box if you decided to sell it. The rest of the stuff is typical Series 1 fare. Nice looking cards, but value wise you're not looking at a killing for any of it. The McDavid made the box.

The McD CC is worth more than the rest combined IMO.

This is true. The rest combined, I don't know for sure but he might be looking at $20 bucks before shipping if he sold it all. That's the thing about series 1, there are some bigger single cards like a Matthews or Marner YG, exclusives, high glosses, etc. But if you don't hit a big card, the regular stuff you'd expect from Series 1 are worth so little that even combined you're not getting a lot of value. It seems like there aren't a lot of mid value cards in series 1/2 that might add up if you hit a few of them. Even last year, there were only a few YGs worth more than a few bucks. I haven't followed a lot of breaks for this year's product so I might be off, but last year it was comical to a point where if you didn't hit a McDavid, there was a good chance you spent 150 on 20-30 bucks worth of cards.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The Clear Cut Superstars McDavid is a really good pull. Value aside, the CCS' are really nice looking cards if you're a fan of acetate cards.

$_57.JPG

On a good day, that card alone almost covers the cost of the box. They are selling for 75-100 CAD on eBay right now, but it is a pretty hard pull, Clear Cut Superstars fall less than 1 per case (apparently 1:360 packs) so if they dry up on eBay, and you're patient you might be able to get a bit more for it.

I find that CCS don't seem to be as big of a hit as they should be considering how hard they are to pull. Some of the lesser names can be had for a few bucks. But because that card is a McDavid, and because it is a hard pull it has a lot of value. Long term though, I would guess it wouldn't hold its value but I could be wrong.

All those insert cards aren't really worth much. They are fun if you like the designs but in Series 1/2 they are mostly just there to beef up the set. Especially with ePack, you can buy most of those canvas and shining stars inserts for pennies+shipping on Comc and I'd imagine complete sets aren't that hard to find on eBay at a decent price.

Tkachuk is a decent YG to pull. He is going for like 5-10 CAD right now, but that'll go down after the initial release premium wears off. Otherwise, the other YGs are worth a buck or two+shipping (maybe a bit more in an in person sale).

As far as how you did, the McDavid card made the box. Anytime you even get close to breaking even let alone profiting off of a box of current year product you've done very well. Great looking card of the most in demand player right now. A very hard pull, and it could probably cover the cost or most of the cost of the box if you decided to sell it. The rest of the stuff is typical Series 1 fare. Nice looking cards, but value wise you're not looking at a killing for any of it. The McDavid made the box.

This is true. The rest combined, I don't know for sure but he might be looking at $20 bucks before shipping if he sold it all. That's the thing about series 1, there are some bigger single cards like a Matthews or Marner YG, exclusives, high glosses, etc. But if you don't hit a big card, the regular stuff you'd expect from Series 1 are worth so little that even combined you're not getting a lot of value. It seems like there aren't a lot of mid value cards in series 1/2 that might add up if you hit a few of them. Even last year, there were only a few YGs worth more than a few bucks. I haven't followed a lot of breaks for this year's product so I might be off, but last year it was comical to a point where if you didn't hit a McDavid, there was a good chance you spent 150 on 20-30 bucks worth of cards.

Thanks for the review. Beginners luck i guess on the McJesus card. Sorry if i may have misread your post but are you saying that the Mcdavid card or the young guns rookie cards from series one are worth more now because its the hot new thing than they would be in say 20 years?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the review. Beginners luck i guess on the McJesus card. Sorry if i may have misread your post but are you saying that the Mcdavid card or the young guns rookie cards from series one are worth more now because its the hot new thing than they would be in say 20 years?

All cards especially young guns peak in value when first released and then steadily drop. The only exceptions are players who aren't top rookies when first released but break out later on.

The McDavid will also probably peak in value now, but it is a tough card to pull since CCS are only in 1:360 packs and that is for the entire set. There are a few on eBay now, but what I am saying is that if the supply dries up a bit, you might be able to ask for more in a few months but that is a crap shoot.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sucks Eichel has that exclusive auto deal with leaf, because there is no ****ing way am I shelling out $1000++ for his cup RP card. If I'm going to drop big bucks on a /99 Eichel rc I'd rather go for his Ice RC.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
So $700(?) for a pack of cards is absurd, I think we can all agree on that. But I can sort of see the logic in gambling on The Cup. If you hit something huge, you're looking at a card that you probably could never afford as a single. So the upside is much greater than buying a $150 box of series 1 where aside from something like a McDavid/Matthews high gloss or exclusives, even the biggest hits are in the 100-200 range, with most being less.

With that said, there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. $700 for a few cards leaves a lot of room to miss. Someone could buy around 10 boxes of different products ranging from $70-$150 with that and maybe have a lot more fun. Then if we're just talking about buying singles, the amount of hits you could buy with $700 from different lower end to mid end products would be staggering.

Edit: First McDavid /99 RPA sold for between 8000-9200 on eBay.
Someone paid between 4k-5k for his Signature Patches auto pulled in the first box of this vid.

My break went awesome. Killed the odds. 2 hits:

1. Ranatanen Brilliance auto.

Sam Bennett rookie auto gold /24!

Well maybe not as good as a McDavid or a Bennett RAP, but pretty amazing for me as a Flames fan, especially considering it was team random. Somebody else in the break pulled a McDavid/Gretzky dual auto, that was the case hit.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Can you pull Laine Rookie card already from some set? If yes, Im gon try.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015

No, they are not.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
No, they are not.

You're right, turns out I was misinformed about the Parkhurst 3 card bonus packs being exclusive to Canada.

On that topic apparently there is going to be a stand alone Parkhurst set exclusive to Canada, so that's probably where I got mixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad