Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
And who else is buying some Series 1? Comes out Thursday. I'm down for 3 hobby boxes plus a Flames group break. Considering another box, but I'm worried about hobby hits getting diluted in E-packs.

My LCS is holding 2 hobby boxes for me. I was thinking of grabbing more, as well, but the, seemingly, endless supply of S1 last year has me gun-shy.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Has there been any word on what the average cost of a hobby box of series 1 will be in Canada? I'll be curious to see how much they're selling for at the Expo in Toronto this weekend and UD will level the playing field and tell dealers what the price will be.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Has there been any word on what the average cost of a hobby box of series 1 will be in Canada? I'll be curious to see how much they're selling for at the Expo in Toronto this weekend and UD will level the playing field and tell dealers what the price will be.

I'd estimate between $160-200. I'll be at the Expo Friday chilling at BMW cards table, I'll probably crack a box or two hoping for the Leaf Young Guns cards. Now a box of the cup probably will be in the $800-$1000 mark but you hit a McDavid and it's $$$$.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

My guys is charging $100 / box of Series 1. 401 games has it for $99.95 right now. I'm guessing that will be starting price.

Edit: Just caved and bought a 4th box....

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Anyone else bust any S1...opened 4 boxes. The hits:

GJNIPQSh.jpg

REqdPCYh.jpg

xOXOl0Mh.jpg

5RP5d3zh.jpg

QYpUCwkh.jpg

1lR4FV9h.jpg

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB

My local comic store was selling them for $109, though their prices are usually a bit higher. They don't sell a lot of sports cards though, so I thought I would support them at least.

I've only opened a box so far, first set of cards I've bought in a decade. Was hoping to get some of the Leafs rookies, but a below-average acquisition. Only things of note were a Chychrun YG and Matta jersey card. The itch is back though, so I'll probably pick up some more in the future.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The new series one aren't nearly as attactive as the 2015-16 set, in my opinion.

This seasons UD Artifacts are great looking though.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The new series one aren't nearly as attactive as the 2015-16 set, in my opinion.

This seasons UD Artifacts are great looking though.

The Goalie Nightmares and Super Colossal inserts really drag down the look of the set. They look like cheap inserts from 10 years ago.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, they look like something coming out of Victory..

Every hobby pack I opened had some kind of "hit" in it. So they were obviously trying to limit the amount of base packs and did so on a reduced budget. That being said, they could have put a lot more effort into these sets. Compared to previous lower end inserts like MVP, Hockey Heroes or even the Hometown Heroes or Sophomore Sensations, these new inserts really looked like they had little to no thought put into their creation.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think the new inserts are in place of packs that in previous years would be all base packs. Still, you'd think they could come up with something a little nicer. Almost reminds me of hitting a checklist in a Tim Hortons pack, where at that point, I'd probably rather just have another base card.

The acetates are a nice addition. I was a big fan of the acetate YGs last year, but with how limited they were, I wasn't about to drop 30-50 bucks on a Matt O'Connor card....With them bringing the design to regular base cards, I can imagine these are going to be really affordable, especially if they aren't hobby exclusive and hit epack/comc.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd love to swing a deal if youre interested in trading this bad boy. PM me if you're willing to make some trades. Nice hits.

It's up on eBay right now. I can pull the listing though. Generally I look for young guns, vintage rookies, or difficult to find autos. PM me a list of traders.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey guys, a couple of my team mates and I were talking about hockey cards nowadays and none of us really knows which current brands are the most valuable. I think i was told a few years ago that alot of my cards that i had in the 90's weren't worth anything because they had produced so many. I think they were Pro Set and Opeechee. Can you guys help me out? I am thinking about starting to collect again

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Hey guys, a couple of my team mates and I were talking about hockey cards nowadays and none of us really knows which current brands are the most valuable. I think i was told a few years ago that alot of my cards that i had in the 90's weren't worth anything because they had produced so many. I think they were Pro Set and Opeechee. Can you guys help me out? I am thinking about starting to collect again

You are correct about most 90s cards, they are not generally worth anything

The only real "Brand" since 2013-14 is Upper Deck because they are the only one officially licensed, but they produce many different sets from cheap (Opeechee is still around) to very expensive (The Cup, coming in at over $400-500+USD for a pack of 5 cards).

If you are going to start collecting you probably don't want to jump right in at that huge price point(or maybe you do). Most people would recommend that you start with Upper Deck Series 1, it has the most widely collected rookie set "Young Guns" and hobby boxes are usually around $100 US at release and will get cheaper later in the season on sale. The top rookies like Matthews will still sell for well over $100 so you have the potential to make your box worth it in one card.

Side note/Addendum

Leaf/ITG is another company that makes unlicensed products, usually focused more on younger players (they hold CHL license) or legends/retirees. By being unlicensed it means that they cannot show team logos or say team names on the cards, they usually get around this with a mixture of carefully selected player photos and liberal airbrushing.

16LEHE.jpg

Conz

Jan 28, 2011
not a card per se, but can anyone help me out with a memorabilia question? I'm not sure where to ask, so this seems like a good place. if not, my bad.

Years back at an autograph signing, Eddie Giacomin gave me this. Has anyone ever seen/bought/received one of these?

sbsec3.jpg

k4fs4w.jpg

It just seems like a pretty cool, personal piece of memorabilia, and I haven't been able to find any information on them online. I assume all HOF members have these to hand out to friends/family/etc? Are these really rare? Appreciate it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
StJHFdv.jpg

Hit this in a pack of stamps I was buying. The free hit is definitely appreciated as I was buying the stamps anyways.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
StJHFdv.jpg

Hit this in a pack of stamps I was buying. The free hit is definitely appreciated as I was buying the stamps anyways.

Yeah, these are a great deal if you send a lot of stuff out and are going to be buying stamps regardless. I am not entirely certain, but I think if you sell a lot of stuff online and send out parcels, you can even pay shipping fees with stamps instead of cash. So basically, if you are sending out a parcel and the Canada Post guy asks for 20 dollars, you can use stamps as a currency instead of cash. (I might be wrong, but that's what the guy at my Canada Post told me....). If that's the case, it is a good deal with these because every time you send out a parcel, it would be like a free 1/40 shot at pulling an auto.

Just don't leave that one laying around, someone might accidentally put it on a letter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad