Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That is cool.

I have maybe 40x 3200 count boxes that I wished to donate to a children's hospital but in CA, they don't want it. If only I lived near Ca.

That is like way over 100k unwanted cards!

I give out 100 cards or more per kid on Hall'o'ween. But in Ottawa even girls like hockey cards and I get a decent amount of Trick or treater's! Cali? Do they care about hockey?

Anyway. Halloween can get rid of lots of extra cards to young kids that really think that's awesome. In the right place.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Wasn't panini flooding the market with relic cards thereby increasing supply and lowering prices.

Who gives a ****, as a buyer, I want the prices to be lower and their products like National Teasures, Dominion, Prime, and Playbook looked far better than most of UD's high-end stuff. They also did booklet cards far better than Upper Deck.

Anyways, this upcoming card by IT....a signed card cut into another card :laugh: that's a bit sacrilegious

Cu_904pVYAACDDj.jpg

This on the other hand, much better
CvUtpZxUMAAcM3E.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Probably stupid question but I see people mention it a lot. What is a booklet card?

Two or more cards stuck together like a book. They tend to only be in higher end products. Some of the Panini Playbook ones from a few years back are really nice and tend to be pretty cheap to buy as singles.

PBARBook105.jpg

You can buy cases specifically meant to display the books.

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
Two or more cards stuck together like a book. They tend to only be in higher end products. Some of the Panini Playbook ones from a few years back are really nice and tend to be pretty cheap to buy as singles.

PBARBook105.jpg

You can buy cases specifically meant to display the books.

Santo Dios!

Things have changed since 1999.

These booklet things got me thinking though.

They would be great dor dual cards.

Yet better, now that fighting is getting pushed out of the league, they could make a special series dedicated to vintage fights.

With bloodied jersey pieces too. Those would be priced the highest.

Topps Underground.

Or Zenith on the Dark Side.

Pacific Blood on the Ice

Summit Bareknuckle

Pinnacle Barbaric

Imagine a booklet card with Tie Domi on one side and Bob Probert on the other. With bloodied, torn jersey snippets and the story running down the middle, with h2h and all.

I want one NOW!

©

Last edited:

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
Santo Dios!

Yet better, now that fighting is getting pushed out of the league, they could make a special series dedicated to vintage fights.

Topps Underground.

Pacific Blood on the Ice

Summit Bareknuckle

Pinnacle Barbaric

Imagine a booklet card with Tie Domi on one side and Bob Probert on the other. With bloodied, torn jersey snippets and the story running down the middle, with h2h and all.

I want one NOW!

©
I really like that idea honestly, but it's too much originality for anything UD produces right now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Santo Dios!

Topps Underground.

Pacific Blood on the Ice

Summit Bareknuckle

Pinnacle Barbaric

I want one NOW!

©

In the Game had a series called "Enforcers". They did two series of it. They didn't do any booklets but had a lot of dual cards, which featured either two patches or autos from fighters to commemorate a great fight they had. The boxes can still be found for relatively cheap (cheaper than original sales price anyways).

After they lost their license, ITG really focused on themed sets to keep business going. But yeah, you'd never see anything that niche from Upper Deck.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
That Richard card is fugly as hell. :rant:

It really is. What a mess.

Wonder if the other half of the card was damaged badly or something?

I'm guessing they probably used a 1994 Parkhurst repro card and not a 1956-57 original version so the card condition shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing they just wanted to be " different " and they definitely succeeded.....but not in a good way. :thumbd:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm guessing they probably used a 1994 Parkhurst repro card and not a 1956-57 original version so the card condition shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing they just wanted to be " different " and they definitely succeeded.....but not in a good way. :thumbd:

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Hockey/19...)_Lucky_Autograph/A-2/Maurice_Richard/8073839

It is the 1994 card. There used to be lots of them available...well before ITG/Leaf bought them all up. The card was produced out of /956, which is an insane amount for as star of that level.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Ran into a hobby box of 1999-2000 UD series 2 out in the wild for about 30 Canadian after tax. 24 packs.

I am assuming it is junk that wouldn't be fun to break. I can't find much info about this set online as far as inserts/hits. The rookie class looks pretty bad. I know that jersey cards are very hard to hit.

For someone who doesn't care about the base, are there any good inserts in the set? Yay or nay?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Ran into a hobby box of 1999-2000 UD series 2 out in the wild for about 30 Canadian after tax. 24 packs.

I am assuming it is junk that wouldn't be fun to break. I can't find much info about this set online as far as inserts/hits. The rookie class looks pretty bad. I know that jersey cards are very hard to hit.

For someone who doesn't care about the base, are there any good inserts in the set? Yay or nay?

If your looking for value i would pass.
I always enjoy 90s boxes for centimental reasons

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If your looking for value i would pass.
I always enjoy 90s boxes for centimental reasons

Care more about aesthetics and cool looking inserts than pure value. Still, I wouldn't want to throw down 30 bucks on cards and pull stuff that I could have bought for 5 dollars on Comc.

Most likely won't pick it up, but was more curious than anything since a dollar a pack is about as cheap as sealed product gets. I couldn't find much information online. I found this one video which wasn't a very good endorsement for the product. :laugh:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If you want a good looking 90s pack or three to break then go for 97 Pinnacle or Pinnacle Certified, one of the chrome packs, 97 Pacific Revolution, 1994 Leaf Limited, the SPX ones before they turned ugly, etc. Just look through COMC in the mid-late 90s and you'll find some good lookin ones. I usually just order a handful of base cards for certain players from the base cards I like as it's cheaper for me.

Also people stop putting your booklet cards in protectors, that defeats the purpose lol.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Care more about aesthetics and cool looking inserts than pure value. Still, I wouldn't want to throw down 30 bucks on cards and pull stuff that I could have bought for 5 dollars on Comc.

Most likely won't pick it up, but was more curious than anything since a dollar a pack is about as cheap as sealed product gets. I couldn't find much information online. I found this one video which wasn't a very good endorsement for the product. :laugh:

That video is probably retail packs...There are a number of short printed cards in the hobby boxes with high BV.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I was looking through some of my cards the other day, checked the price on a couple of Jeff Carter rookie cards on ebay and surprised to see the value. Wasn't much, I'm not sure what's considered valuable when it comes to hockey cards, but it was anywhere between a 10-20 dollar card.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
I was looking through some of my cards the other day, checked the price on a couple of Jeff Carter rookie cards on ebay and surprised to see the value. Wasn't much, I'm not sure what's considered valuable when it comes to hockey cards, but it was anywhere between a 10-20 dollar card.

Make sure you look at completed sales that's the real value

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Some of Jeff Carter's RCs are worth less than a dollar. Some are worth more than $50. All of Carter's valuable RCs are those with his autograph on them.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Didn't want to make my own thread for this...

Is there a good place to shop for hockey posters. Wanted to get some simple posters (not signed, no text) of some of the legends of my childhood (Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque) for the new office. Preferably with their "game face" on. Any ideas?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Some of Jeff Carter's RCs are worth less than a dollar. Some are worth more than $50. All of Carter's valuable RCs are those with his autograph on them.

The problem is that every big player gets about 100 rookie cards every year now. Jeff Carter was also part of the Crosby crop, which was horribly overprinted to cash in on Crosby. Generally, the non-Crosby/Ovechkin singles from 2005/06 aren't worth very much.

It's a similar effect to last year's McDavid overproduction. Despite having other solid rookies in the crop, like Panarin, Domi, Larkin, etc...the non-McDavid cards just aren't worth very much, as there are so many in circulation.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
The problem is that every big player gets about 100 rookie cards every year now. Jeff Carter was also part of the Crosby crop, which was horribly overprinted to cash in on Crosby. Generally, the non-Crosby/Ovechkin singles from 2005/06 aren't worth very much.

It's a similar effect to last year's McDavid overproduction. Despite having other solid rookies in the crop, like Panarin, Domi, Larkin, etc...the non-McDavid cards just aren't worth very much, as there are so many in circulation.

The more expensive issues are still pulling good money, lower #ed, autos, multi color patches. The Cup is out now and I'm sure the other rookies will command top dollar, who knows what a multi color McDavid will fetch... With modern stuff it's pretty much what's new & onto the next new thing.

Tim Hortons cards were actually quite a nice throwback to the set building days & this years master set is pulling close to $400 now. Hearing about people meeting up and doing trade nights was something I never imagined would happen again in the card collecting world.Will they keep their value is the question.

Rookie cards for HOFers like Gretzky & Lemieux are pulling huge numbers. Never thought I'd see the day a PSA 9 Gretzky OPC would be pulling $30K++ US or a Mario OPC PSA 10 hitting $20K++ US. Crazy numbers for cards that were a fraction of that price only a few years back.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The more expensive issues are still pulling good money, lower #ed, autos, multi color patches. The Cup is out now and I'm sure the other rookies will command top dollar, who knows what a multi color McDavid will fetch... With modern stuff it's pretty much what's new & onto the next new thing.

Tim Hortons cards were actually quite a nice throwback to the set building days & this years master set is pulling close to $400 now. Hearing about people meeting up and doing trade nights was something I never imagined would happen again in the card collecting world.Will they keep their value is the question.

Rookie cards for HOFers like Gretzky & Lemieux are pulling huge numbers. Never thought I'd see the day a PSA 9 Gretzky OPC would be pulling $30K++ US or a Mario OPC PSA 10 hitting $20K++ US. Crazy numbers for cards that were a fraction of that price only a few years back.

It really is crazy. It makes sense though. There are only so many Gretzky rookie cards out there. Lots of people want them. As the population increases, there are so many to go around...

I bought two Topps Gretzkys for $200 each about 4 years ago. Got them graded at 7.0 and 7.5. They are now going for triple. A lot of other factors in there too, like the weak Canadian dollar though. I bought on par and am now selling at 72 cents on the dollar.

Basically, vintage cards are never a huge waste, as long as you buy at the right peak/troth and buy big names that are likely to have appeal through multiple generations.

But yes, for modern cards, certain "key rookies" will always sell well. Cup RPA of players like Jeff Carter will still sell well.

And who else is buying some Series 1? Comes out Thursday. I'm down for 3 hobby boxes plus a Flames group break. Considering another box, but I'm worried about hobby hits getting diluted in E-packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad