Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Alexandre-Burrows.jpg

There's one from last year. They are redemptions, so I don't think any images of this years have come out yet, but I wouldn't expect anything that much different.

Because they are so hard to pull, they sell for quite a bit depending on who you pull. Mid level players can go for 100+. Some of the more desirable players can go for 200+. Because they don't look that much different than the regular series 1/2 UD jersey cards, most of which are selling for 1 buck on Comc, if I pulled one, I'd almost certainly sell it on eBay and then just use that $200 bucks on a bunch of Senators singles. I guess player collectors are willing to pay big money for them

I got a Bernier redemption jersey relic. Still waiting for it. This is the image from the site when I input my code and skill testing answer.
2wbs2mc.png

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I haven't collected cards for a couple of years but are there any good hard signed Autograph sets out this year? I might want to pick up a box or two.

Something in the style of SP Authentic, Trilogy or Panini Classic Signatures. Anything worth the price tag?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I was given a giant box full of hockey cards and I know zero about them, or cards in general, so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of where I could find out their values.

Here's a picture of a few that have prices written on them but in the back you can see the rows and this is only like half the box.... there's a lot of them.
http://i.imgur.com/ewptgFD.jpg

Appreciate the help.

You either could pickup a Beckett hockey price guide at any sportscard store, or check out their sold prices on ebay. Either way, it would be a lot of effort.
Addendum: perhaps you could pay the sportscard store to look through them and pick out and price the valuable cards.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I was given a giant box full of hockey cards and I know zero about them, or cards in general, so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of where I could find out their values.

Here's a picture of a few that have prices written on them but in the back you can see the rows and this is only like half the box.... there's a lot of them.
http://i.imgur.com/ewptgFD.jpg

Appreciate the help.

Since you have lot of cards you could use Beckett (online or magazine) as a guideline, just keep in mind that values are most often higher there, for cards you would plan to sell ebay is the best, as you see actual numbers you could get.

Those cards look like around 1998-2001, so might not be so many gems but fingers crossed!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I got a Bernier redemption jersey relic. Still waiting for it. This is the image from the site when I input my code and skill testing answer.
2wbs2mc.png

2015-16-Upper-Deck-Series-One-UD-Game-Jersey.jpg

Cool to see an image of them. They are an exciting pull because they are so hard to get, but like I said, they aren't that much different from UD series 1/2 jersey cards that sell for a buck or two. Player collectors (I would assume) pay quite a bit for the Tim Hortons ones, so if I pulled one I'd rather just flip it on eBay and use that cash on some more hits. I think it is kind of crazy that the Tim Hortons jersey cards sell for $100.

That's a pretty lucky pull though.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I haven't collected cards for a couple of years but are there any good hard signed Autograph sets out this year? I might want to pick up a box or two.

Something in the style of SP Authentic, Trilogy or Panini Classic Signatures. Anything worth the price tag?

There's nothing based around autographs. There are a few boxes which guarantee x amount auto hits per box like Champs.

It is probably not the answer you're looking for, but the best thing to do for hard signed autos (depending on who you're after) is just to go after singles on eBay. Sign of the times/glacier graphs/UD Black all have hard signed auto cards that at one point or another go for very little. Especially Sign Of The Times cards seem to be very cheap.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
Just recieved a free pack and the number one overall auston matthews card from timmies. Very happy about that

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Long shot but what the heck! I'm putting together the 1952-53 Parkhurst set graded PSA. I'm only looking for low-ish grades PSA 4-6.

Check out Ebay.

You'd also be surprised what some random late 90s to mid 2000s inserts go for. Set collectors and player collectors are still out there hunting for rare inserts. So check the prices on all the inserts, even if they don't look like much.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You either could pickup a Beckett hockey price guide at any sportscard store, or check out their sold prices on ebay. Either way, it would be a lot of effort.
Addendum: perhaps you could pay the sportscard store to look through them and pick out and price the valuable cards.

Since you have lot of cards you could use Beckett (online or magazine) as a guideline, just keep in mind that values are most often higher there, for cards you would plan to sell ebay is the best, as you see actual numbers you could get.

Those cards look like around 1998-2001, so might not be so many gems but fingers crossed!

I see, thanks guys.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
2wbs2mc.png

So this came in the mail today. And just counting the holes in the jersey patch I'm fairly certain they scan the exact card they mail you not just a standard picture for that card. So if you claim your redemption the card/jersey swatch pictured is the exact card you get. [[any Mapleleaf fans in the Calgary area who may have pulled a Daniel Sedin jersey redemption want to trade? =-) ]]

25hle9u.jpg

Last edited:

delled

Oct 3, 2009
Haven't collected cards in over 20 years, but if I wanted a trio of classy cards of Marner, Nylander and Matthews in the same brand and year so I can frame it, what set and year should I get all 3 players from?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Haven't collected cards in over 20 years, but if I wanted a trio of classy cards of Marner, Nylander and Matthews in the same brand and year so I can frame it, what set and year should I get all 3 players from?

It depends on what your definition of classy is. The most mainstream sought after rookie is the "Young Gun" which comes in Upper Decks main series called Series 1 and Series 2. Series 1 comes out next month with Matthews+Nylander, Marner will be in Series 2 which will be released mid season.

2016-17-NHL-Upper-Deck-Series-One-Young-Guns-Rookie-Card-William-Nylander.jpg
2016-17-NHL-Upper-Deck-Series-One-Young-Guns-Rookie-Card-Auston-Matthews.jpg

McDavid's Young Gun was a $200 USD card when it came out, Eichel's at $60 but has now settled down to 30-40. So it would be pricey initially if Matthews being a Maple Leaf causes his card to reach McDavid price levels despite him being much closer to Eichel than to McDavid as a prospect.

2015-16-Artifacts-205-Connor-McDavid-Rookie-139-899.jpg

Again, depending on your definition of classy, you might like Artifacts better. It was released already, but the rookie cards that come out of the pack are in the for of redemption cards, and it isn't 100 percent clear which redemption card corresponds to which rookie, and prices are a bit inflated since it is one of the earlier 2017 products to come out, so if you decide on artifacts I'd wait and buy an actual card off of eBay and not a redemption.

2015-16-upper-deck-series-2-connor-mcdavid-ud-portraits-rookies-oilers-384c75bfb3e32b470510ca9be3066ada.jpg
Connor-McDavid.jpg

If you want a cheap alternative, there's always inserts in UD series 1/2 like O-Pee-Chee style cards, or last year there were portraits. These inserts are usually very cheap, like pennies for your average player and maybe 2 bucks for McDavid in his rookie year. Comc.com is a good site to browse cards by year and product, so I'd wait a few months for more cards to get released and then look around on that site to see what insert or line of cards aesthetically is what you're looking for.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

Booklet cards are nice for getting multiple players, usually cost like $15-60 but don't need a frame or anything for them, just display as-is.

Anyways, I'd wait till the next year, all the 2016 cards for Marner/Matthews will be overpriced on account of them being rookie cards. Nylander's cards are not gonna be rookie ones from 2016-17 so might find something nice there. I think the best way to go is an auto-patch but for three players like that, it's obviously pricey so maybe just a nicer looking auto.

Sucks that Panini isn't making cards anymore since their higher-end bases were nice looking and cheap but from UD, you can look into base cards from 2016 products like UD Black, The Cup, Artifacts (this one is cheaper and you might be able to get some patch cards or something for this one), and Upper Deck Premier.

Go on COMC.com and just search up the cards for whichever player to get an idea of what they look like but like I said before, Marner/Matthews rookie cards will be expensive this year and they aren't even out yet. 2nd season cards will be normal price.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Booklet cards are nice for getting multiple players, usually cost like $15-60 but don't need a frame or anything for them, just display as-is.

Anyways, I'd wait till the next year, all the 2016 cards for Marner/Matthews will be overpriced on account of them being rookie cards. Nylander's cards are not gonna be rookie ones from 2016-17 so might find something nice there. I think the best way to go is an auto-patch but for three players like that, it's obviously pricey so maybe just a nicer looking auto.

Sucks that Panini isn't making cards anymore since their higher-end bases were nice looking and cheap but from UD, you can look into base cards from 2016 products like UD Black, The Cup, Artifacts (this one is cheaper and you might be able to get some patch cards or something for this one), and Upper Deck Premier.

Go on COMC.com and just search up the cards for whichever player to get an idea of what they look like but like I said before, Marner/Matthews rookie cards will be expensive this year and they aren't even out yet. 2nd season cards will be normal price.

Wasn't panini flooding the market with relic cards thereby increasing supply and lowering prices.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Wasn't panini flooding the market with relic cards thereby increasing supply and lowering prices.

all companies flood it with relic cards. super cheap to pump out event used/manufactured jerseys and once a player has been playing for 10 years even game used aren't expensive.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
I just started again, with the tims set. Should be a pretty easy set to fill, pretty cheap really, though the base set is very incomplete despite the fact I have about 37 packs so far. Only 10 checklist cards to boot.

On the other hand, I have had amazing luck with the inserts.
Pretty close to complete for Game day action, a bunch of pure gold etc, but it's the higher pull cards.
Clear cut Phenoms are McDavid, Panarin and Forsberg
Platinum Profiles are Miller (yuck) and McDavid (Yeah!)
and Franchise Force are Byfuglien(!), Crosby (!!) and McDavid(!!!)

Not to bad for under 40 packs. haven't done the online stuff yet.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Both companies use "event worn" jerseys in a lot of cards, which makes it too easy and cost efficient for companies to put out jersey cards. There is a video of Patrick Laine from the draft going over his day, and a UD representative stands in front of him as he tries on hat after hat for 10 seconds at at time, it is comical.

Even without Panini, UD jersey hits are dirt cheap. Aside from a few of the short prints, you can buy a lot of the UD Series jersey cards for 1-2 bucks on Comc, some at 75 cents. It seems like the card collecting community doesn't care about the idea of getting a piece of a jersey. They mostly care about the exclusivity of the card they are getting and also care about aesthetics which is why a multi color/break patch card will often attract more attention than a single color of the exact same card.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the point where they are cutting up rare cards to put in cards. :laugh:

I wish Panini was around, because I liked the look of their cards better. But at the same point, there is WAY too much stuff already. In a perfect world, I'd love to collect 1 single from each insert/subset of each release but there's just so much stuff out there.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I just started again, with the tims set. Should be a pretty easy set to fill, pretty cheap really, though the base set is very incomplete despite the fact I have about 37 packs so far. Only 10 checklist cards to boot.

On the other hand, I have had amazing luck with the inserts.
Pretty close to complete for Game day action, a bunch of pure gold etc, but it's the higher pull cards.
Clear cut Phenoms are McDavid, Panarin and Forsberg
Platinum Profiles are Miller (yuck) and McDavid (Yeah!)
and Franchise Force are Byfuglien(!), Crosby (!!) and McDavid(!!!)

Not to bad for under 40 packs. haven't done the online stuff yet.

Good luck, here in Airdrie, Alberta they've been sold out of tims cards for a couple weeks. The Game Day Action cards are quite common. I've got tons of them.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Both companies use "event worn" jerseys in a lot of cards, which makes it too easy and cost efficient for companies to put out jersey cards. There is a video of Patrick Laine from the draft going over his day, and a UD representative stands in front of him as he tries on hat after hat for 10 seconds at at time, it is comical.

Even without Panini, UD jersey hits are dirt cheap. Aside from a few of the short prints, you can buy a lot of the UD Series jersey cards for 1-2 bucks on Comc, some at 75 cents. It seems like the card collecting community doesn't care about the idea of getting a piece of a jersey. They mostly care about the exclusivity of the card they are getting and also care about aesthetics which is why a multi color/break patch card will often attract more attention than a single color of the exact same card.

I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the point where they are cutting up rare cards to put in cards. :laugh:

I wish Panini was around, because I liked the look of their cards better. But at the same point, there is WAY too much stuff already. In a perfect world, I'd love to collect 1 single from each insert/subset of each release but there's just so much stuff out there.

I've been fascinated by watching hockey card box breaks on Youtube. Guys send money to the Youtuber and get dibs on certain teams - or they are randomly assigned to teams. And the pack openings commence. One video had the opener scoffing at any jersey/patch card where the back of the card said "congratulations... manufactured patch." It was almost a throw away even though the card was 90% patch or jersey. Personally I don't really like the look of massive patches. Fun to pull maybe but I'm never plonking down tons of money to buy one. I'd rather spend more and buy an actual signed jersey and frame it rather than a scrap of cloth glued to card stock

It's sad to see the base cards become basically throw aways in UD 15-16 Series 1&2. They only look for inserts. Speaking of which I was also disappointed to see most of the inserts for those sets were canvas cards or OPeeChee throw back (old card stock look) and were more massive # subsets rather than 10-15 card insert sets.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I've been fascinated by watching hockey card box breaks on Youtube. Guys send money to the Youtuber and get dibs on certain teams - or they are randomly assigned to teams. And the pack openings commence. One video had the opener scoffing at any jersey/patch card where the back of the card said "congratulations... manufactured patch." It was almost a throw away even though the card was 90% patch or jersey. Personally I don't really like the look of massive patches. Fun to pull maybe but I'm never plonking down tons of money to buy one. I'd rather spend more and buy an actual signed jersey and frame it rather than a scrap of cloth glued to card stock

It's sad to see the base cards become basically throw aways in UD 15-16 Series 1&2. They only look for inserts. Speaking of which I was also disappointed to see most of the inserts for those sets were canvas cards or OPeeChee throw back (old card stock look) and were more massive # subsets rather than 10-15 card insert sets.

The issue with UD S1/S2 is that the hits are so spread out, you don't need that much base. I usually build 3 sets and then give the rest away. I put an add on craigslist for a free box of hockey cards and some dad comes and picks it up for his kids. I usually get an email back saying how much the kids enjoy it, which is cool.

Just bought 3 boxes of the upcomming series 1. Not a fan of the price hike ($100/box after taxes now). Also, not a fan of the product being devalued and diluted by the E-Packs. There's always a little rush from buying on release day, but I am definitely toning down the amount I buy. I'll look out for some blaster sales, but the 3 boxes will probably be it.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The issue with UD S1/S2 is that the hits are so spread out, you don't need that much base. I usually build 3 sets and then give the rest away. I put an add on craigslist for a free box of hockey cards and some dad comes and picks it up for his kids. I usually get an email back saying how much the kids enjoy it, which is cool.

Just bought 3 boxes of the upcomming series 1. Not a fan of the price hike ($100/box after taxes now). Also, not a fan of the product being devalued and diluted by the E-Packs. There's always a little rush from buying on release day, but I am definitely toning down the amount I buy. I'll look out for some blaster sales, but the 3 boxes will probably be it.

That is cool.

I have maybe 40x 3200 count boxes that I wished to donate to a children's hospital but in CA, they don't want it. If only I lived near Ca.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

yeah it is pretty disgraceful that cards like this:

2015-16-Upper-Deck-Black-Diamond-Hockey-Rookie-Team-Logo-Jumbos-Manufactured-Patch.jpg

exist in a product where you paying (300/6) $50 a card.

Everyone is free to their opinion but i think Black diamond's redesign is the worst product ever created

Of course this is Upper deck, who included this filler nonsense which is literally just their logo and a tiny picture of an athlete in a $15,000 box:

2016-Upper-Deck-All-Time-Greats-Master-Collection-Complete-Puzzle-Set.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad