Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I have the official binder.
Base set complete 1-100
Local Leaders complete 1-7
Game Day Action complete 1-15
Just need three cards for Pure Gold completion
Have 4 Platinum (Iginla, Jagr, JVR, Wheeler)
3 Clear Cut Phenoms (Eichel, Ghost, and Fabbri)
Franchise Force - Miller and Toews
And a redeemed instant winner Relic jersey Jonathan Bernier (in the mail)
All in all it was fun. Don't see me buying any more packs. Felt great to make 9 card full pages.

The official binder is a nice touch. One underrated thing about this year's design is how well they translate to being displayed in binders because of how the base cards flow into each other when combined on a single 9 card page.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
How much are the Tim Horton's packs? Are they worth it? Card collector but never bought the TH Cards

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I have the binder and trying to complete the set but I'm not sure I will be able to, they were gone so quickly last year every day I go in expecting the promotion to be over. And I'm only buying about one pack a day with my coffee, and nailing a lot of duplicates.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I have the binder and trying to complete the set but I'm not sure I will be able to, they were gone so quickly last year every day I go in expecting the promotion to be over. And I'm only buying about one pack a day with my coffee, and nailing a lot of duplicates.

There are lots on eBay. I bought some since I'm in the states and we can't have nice hockey things.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
How much are the Tim Horton's packs? Are they worth it? Card collector but never bought the TH Cards

Answered a similar post a few pages back if you want some more detail.

The short of it is that if you are asking will they go up in value and will you profit off of packs, no they are not worth it. Buying and flipping 100s of packs/inserts can be lucrative enough for eBayers and dealers in the very short term because these aren't available in the US which inflates the amount of demand for them on eBay, but once the hype dies down, prices will eventually crash. To illustrate this, I've spent less than $20 on packs and through some luck have on paper (aka ignoring the hassle of selling them) maybe $30 or more worth of cards if I sold right now but if I hold on to the cards once the hype dies down, I'll have a hard time getting $20 for them.

With long term values and not the current values now that the cards are hot, if you had $100 bucks to spend on Tim Hortons cards, you'd get more bang for your buck waiting a little bit and buying what you want on eBay (possibly including the complete base set) than you would spending it on packs right now.

I think the cards are worth it, because I get a kick out of getting a $1 pack and seeing what I can pull. I like a lot of the inserts, and although I won't buy enough to complete the base set, I find the set to be the perfect size. They are way too cheap to have any remorse like you might have if you dropped $150 on a hobby box and got unlucky.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

In a perfect utopian society there'd be a take 1 leave 1 pile for duplicates in Tim Horton stores.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I met a friend at a Tim Hortons in town with our binders and duplicates to do some trading while having a coffee. Got a few odd looks from people. A few smiles.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this you guys?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Sadly autographs don't work very well on those shiny multi-coloured Tim Hortons cards or you could've sent them through the mail to get signed by the players that sign TTM. Also, the Hometown Moments or whatever insert looks ugly, that's an MS Pains sorta design lol.

Anyways, Artifacts is out now and looks nicer, for me that set is like an lower-end looking version of The Cup. The Legends base set includes Bob Bourne and Pierre Turgeon this year which is nice since those two haven't gotten many proper cards since retirement.

Also pretty cool, you don't see many modern cards now with this 90s Phoenix jersey being produced anymore so nice to get one:

s-l1600.jpg

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Sadly autographs don't work very well on those shiny multi-coloured Tim Hortons cards or you could've sent them through the mail to get signed by the players that sign TTM. Also, the Hometown Moments or whatever insert looks ugly, that's an MS Pains sorta design lol.

Anyways, Artifacts is out now and looks nicer, for me that set is like an lower-end looking version of The Cup. The Legends base set includes Bob Bourne and Pierre Turgeon this year which is nice since those two haven't gotten many proper cards since retirement.

Also pretty cool, you don't see many modern cards now with this 90s Phoenix jersey being produced anymore so nice to get one:

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah looks really nice, artifacts always are very nice looking cards for a mid range set. Particularly the honoured members subset:

s-l1600.jpg

Pretty awesome you can get cards like this out of an $80 box

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Artifacts Hobby boxes from past years that are discounted can be a really good value. It looks like they took 2 packs out of this years box, which if you don't care about base cards might not be an issue, but I'd be curious to know if that means less hits/parallels.

They are nice cards as a whole.

The retail is terrible though. Very hard to get hits. It is mostly geared towards base+parallels.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My local store is shutting down. Anyone know of a good store in Vancouver to buy pre-sales of S1 from?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Finished online collection with Tim Hortons so I'll throw out free codes as I get them from the packs if anyone needs:

BKR-A9E
5SA-3AM

GYJ-MEX

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
So excited I got my first Auto-Patch card, a $15 Landeskog SP Authentic from 2013 with a little 3-colour patch from the Avs' logo. Hoping to score a Duchene, MacKinnon, and Kadri one as well as a few notable retired players.

Anyone know which specific auto-patch cards that look nice would fall in the $10-25ish range for the players above (outside MacKinnon, him I'd probably have to spend more on).

I also like these UD Premier cards a tonne, the 3 player trio cards are expensive but these dual swatches are generally $5-15 and look nice

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/232097846645?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
I got a 2 boxes of artifacts yesterday:

base Ruby Mark Stone and Jonathan Quick /299
base emerald Tomas Plekanec /99
base orange MacKinnon and Johnny Bucyk /55

Rookies of Lindell and Pulock /999

Rookie Redemption for Chicago and NY Rangers

Frozen Artifacts Jersey of Jason Zucker odds 1:38

Piece de Resistance Spezza jersey 1:59

Tundra Teamates Quads Ovechkin/Kuznetsov/Backstrom/Holtby /99

Base Materials Emerald Jersey/Patch Brandon Saad /25

Base Materials Gold Spectrum Patch/Patch Claude Giroux /10

So not bad but I am short a memorabilia/auto in the 2nd box as I had a pack with only base and nothing else.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
What are the jersey relics cards?

Pulled one in a pack yesterday.

Alexandre-Burrows.jpg

There's one from last year. They are redemptions, so I don't think any images of this years have come out yet, but I wouldn't expect anything that much different.

Because they are so hard to pull, they sell for quite a bit depending on who you pull. Mid level players can go for 100+. Some of the more desirable players can go for 200+. Because they don't look that much different than the regular series 1/2 UD jersey cards, most of which are selling for 1 buck on Comc, if I pulled one, I'd almost certainly sell it on eBay and then just use that $200 bucks on a bunch of Senators singles. I guess player collectors are willing to pay big money for them

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
Long shot but what the heck! I'm putting together the 1952-53 Parkhurst set graded PSA. I'm only looking for low-ish grades PSA 4-6.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was given a giant box full of hockey cards and I know zero about them, or cards in general, so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of where I could find out their values.

Here's a picture of a few that have prices written on them but in the back you can see the rows and this is only like half the box.... there's a lot of them.
http://i.imgur.com/ewptgFD.jpg

Appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad