GDT: HNIC - Flames vs. Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Man... I think you must hate to be Treliving right now. Some hard, hard decisions coming.
More like he's in heaven. It's easy decisions tbh. Everyone is playing well so their values will be higher than normal. And we have enough bodies that are waiver exempt that if there is no trade available we don't have to lose our depth.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
More like he's in heaven. It's easy decisions tbh. Everyone is playing well so their values will be higher than normal. And we have enough bodies that are waiver exempt that if there is no trade available we don't have to lose our depth.

Good point. If Sven keeps up this play, he'll get resigned and will be a regular next year.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013

Thing is how can you justify sending Jooris or Granlund back?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Thing is how can you justify sending Jooris or Granlund back?
Granlund has played fewer than 10 games, it's an easy justification. Jooris, IMO has earned it and IMO should be here before Byron, but we will always have at least 1 injury.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Was at the game last night. 3rd line had another great game, loved how both the kids played. I doubt Granlund goes back to the AHL, he's earned his stay. Wasn't impressed with JG last night. He seems to always go for the sharp angle shot and there were a couple plays that looked like he has the arm strength of a 12 year old girl when trying to force the puck through.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Awesome game, but I thought Gaudreau had a really off night. He has been playing way more than he's used to; it might be a case of him starting to get tired.

He's still creating opportunities from what I saw last night, they're just not being capitalized on.

Doesn't have the same level of spark that he's had in past games, but my guess is teams are starting to focus on him more.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone else feel that Bouma's really taken a step forward this season? His offensive game seems to really be coming around. Don't look now, but he's on pace for 23 goals and 41 points! :amazed:

I think Lance Bouma, and I've said it before many, many times, is a guy you win with. He's a guy who you can anchor your bottom 6, more specifically your bottom line on; who will be warrior out there, do what needs to be done... and still pot 10+ goals a season.

I don't know if he has the tools necessary to be a 20 goal guy in the NHL... But I can see him netting 13-16 goals a season, playing important defensive minutes... and a guy you're not afraid to move up and down the lineup because he has the IQ to play with skill players too.

On that topic, I am in love with what Calgary's generally doing with the 4th line this year. Instead of having 2 goons and some wasted space; they're putting in real energy/team guys who aren't a liability out there. Boums & Bollig are both complete players, and once again, Bollig pays for himself every time he defends a teammate... That's the second time this year he's gone right after someone for a hit he deems questionable; I love it. Big Ern would have been glaring down the player and maybe fought a goon later... Bollig steps right in, doesn't give the guy an option and then proceeds to feed the guy his dinner.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He's still creating opportunities from what I saw last night, they're just not being capitalized on.

Doesn't have the same level of spark that he's had in past games, but my guess is teams are starting to focus on him more.

I just think he needs to be stronger on the puck, simplify his game. That skill is there, and he does some wizardly things with it... But there's a difference between pulling the D to the back of the net and sliding a slick backhand to Hudler for a great scoring change versus forcing a pass on a powerplay across half a dozen sticks and hoping it lands.

He'll get right back on track. He's the real deal, IMO.

This team reminds me A LOT of the Bolts last year. Like, ridiculously so.
They have a star, Stamkos, we have a star, Gio.
They got great goaltending from BB, we're getting outstanding goaltending from Hiller/Ramo.
They have a breakthrough young Dman in Hedman, we have a breakthrough young Dman in Brodie.
They had two Rookies have incredible seasons, in Palat & Johnson; we have three rookies looking like they'll have breakthrough seasons, in Gaudreau, Jooris and Granlund.
They have their Ex-Wing offensive Anchor in Flipper, we have our Hudler.
Both play entertaining hockey.

This Flames team is making me eat some crow, and I love it.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Boy it sucks I missed this one.

Really nice to see us win on the backs of the kids though! Bouma, Granlund, and Churros all lighting it up. Byron finally gets one on the breakaway. And Gio extends his point streak to 9 GAMES! Crazy!

This team is so fun to cheer for right now. Love it.

Also that Baertschi pass to Byron :amazed: He looks like a completely different player from his first few games after being called up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I believe the sentiment was, if a younger player plays well enough to belong, moves will be made to open up a roster spot.

It'd send a bad message to Jooris and/or Granlund to send them down given how seamlessly they've both fit in. And if the injured are gone long enough, I'm sure Baertschi can work his way into that conversation as well.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If we do have to make some tough decisions, I think the order of staying goes:

Jooris
Granlund
Baertschi
Ferland

Definitely need to move Setoguchi down. Who knows, maybe it'd be best for him to find his game back in a lesser talented league.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I believe the sentiment was, if a younger player plays well enough to belong, moves will be made to open up a roster spot.

It'd send a bad message to Jooris and/or Granlund to send them down given how seamlessly they've both fit in. And if the injured are gone long enough, I'm sure Baertschi can work his way into that conversation as well.

Completely agree.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yep totally agree. I have my doubts we will see any vets traded right now though.

Aug 3, 2010
This isn't a list of players I necessarily want off the team, but if there were an order of players to be moved out for other assets, it's how I would envision the veteran core to be disassembled in order:

Devin Setoguchi
Curtis Glencross
Brian McGrattan :(
Ladislav Smid/Brandon Bollig/David Jones/Deryk Engelland
Matt Stajan/Dennis Wideman
Jiri Hudler

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
HORSE = Horse Or Really Similar Equine

(I'm So Meta Even This Acroynm)

Steven

May 10, 2009
I think Lance Bouma, and I've said it before many, many times, is a guy you win with. He's a guy who you can anchor your bottom 6, more specifically your bottom line on; who will be warrior out there, do what needs to be done... and still pot 10+ goals a season.

I don't know if he has the tools necessary to be a 20 goal guy in the NHL... But I can see him netting 13-16 goals a season, playing important defensive minutes... and a guy you're not afraid to move up and down the lineup because he has the IQ to play with skill players too.

On that topic, I am in love with what Calgary's generally doing with the 4th line this year. Instead of having 2 goons and some wasted space; they're putting in real energy/team guys who aren't a liability out there. Boums & Bollig are both complete players, and once again, Bollig pays for himself every time he defends a teammate... That's the second time this year he's gone right after someone for a hit he deems questionable; I love it. Big Ern would have been glaring down the player and maybe fought a goon later... Bollig steps right in, doesn't give the guy an option and then proceeds to feed the guy his dinner.

Oh I agree, I don't see him hitting 20 goals. But it really speaks to the great start he's had for the team. He's shown more offensive flair than I thought he had in him.

Master Bill

Rest in peace, Johnny Hockey
Nov 9, 2014
Oh I agree, I don't see him hitting 20 goals. But it really speaks to the great start he's had for the team. He's shown more offensive flair than I thought he had in him.

I think he could. Remember when David Moss hit 20 goals for us? Boums is significantly better with the puck than Moss. He showed glimpses of his offensive abilities last season, when he looked very comfortable carrying the puck with speed and dangling through defenders when needed to.

He might be our Andrew Shaw, someone on the 3rd line (except Shaw's mostly been a top 6 forward for them this season) who can put up close to 40 points a season, except Boums is much better in the defensive zone, blocking shots and killing penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad