GDT: HNIC - Flames vs. Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Byron is a 3rd liner, who hits, who has speed, and can also put up around a .5 ppg per season for only 600k. He's a steal, wouldn't mind resigning him one bit.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Wouldn't Byron need to pass through waivers to send him down?

It would make sense to send Granlund down as he wouldn't have to pass through waivers.

Unless i'm out to lunch.

Correct. I also believe Granlund's waiver exemption continues through the end of next season as well. But that wasn't the point of discussion. Obviously once the roster is healthy, Granlund will go back down before Byron (if at all, we'll see). My post was more in regards to the start of next season, when Granlund, among other young forwards, will be pushing for full time spots on the big club.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love me some Iron Byron, and I don't think our forward prospects should just be handed a spot ahead of him, but I think it's a very realistic possibility that with so many young guns nearing NHL roles, Byron might just be squeezed out. Like I said, I don't see him leaving the team, I think he'll remain on The Flames next season, just possibly in a much more limited 4th line/13th forward role.

Steven

May 10, 2009
If Byron even gets squeezed out into a 13th forward role (which I don't think will happen), this team is in damn good shape, that's for sure.

Don't forget, we're still playing with 4 forwards out. Easy to forget about Backs, Stajan, Raymond and Colborne when we're still winning games. Add those 4 to all the prospects looking poised to make the jump and it's not that unrealistic. I think a reduced 4th line role is a more likely role though, especially with the likelihood of various injuries throughout the season.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I wonder if 15 years ago people were talking about Martin St. Louis the same way we're talking about Byron.

Not saying Byron will be the next St. Louis, but they're careers with Calgary appear quite similar. Small players used in a bottom 6 energy roll looking to be squeezed out of Calgary. Again, not saying Byron will go on to be a 100pt player, but I do think his work ethic and speed can keep him in the league, just likely not with Calgary.

Like part St. Louis, part Eric Nystrom.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
For one reason or another, I feel like we would rue the day we ever let Byron go. His play exemplifies the very philosophy of this team, imo.. guy works his ass off, and skates like the effin' wind; if he had scored on even half the breakaways he's missed so far this year, he'd be leading the team in goals right now :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad