GDT: HNIC - Flames vs. Sens

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Weren't you anti-Byron in the summer, and saying that management was justified if they didn't want him back?
Not really, just didn't think they would bring him backand believed he would be easily replaceable.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Might seem crazy now, but I wonder if Byron could still be on the hot seat? With so many other young prospects pushing up, I wonder if he could actually lose his spot next camp. Can't really see him going back to ADK, but I think him ending up with the press box role is a realistic possibility with so many forwards looking good.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Might seem crazy now, but I wonder if Byron could still be on the hot seat? With so many other young prospects pushing up, I wonder if he could actually lose his spot next camp. Can't really see him going back to ADK, but I think him ending up with the press box role is a realistic possibility with so many forwards looking good.

He's not a pressbox player. However, with his contract and how well he puts forth the effort each and every shift, his trade value is increasing.

Steven

May 10, 2009
He's not a pressbox player. However, with his contract and how well he puts forth the effort each and every shift, his trade value is increasing.

Not right now he isn't, but with so many guys coming into camp next season that look ready for spots, I could see it happen. Unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out, know what I'm saying? Especially if Bennett makes a push onto the roster, and then there's still Granny, Reino, Sven and Ferland. In the event we don't see some moves made by then to clear up space, combined with the possibility of enough offensive prospects making the lineup and needing top-9 minutes, I could see it. Who else of our forwards next season (that should be here) would you sit?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He is right. Next season Byron is going to find it difficult to nail down a roster spot. That was how I was "anti-Byron" before and after we re-signed him this summer, I'm not sure he's a better option that guys moving forward and I don't think he has much if any trade value.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, I get what you guys are saying. I still believe he has some sort of value at the deadline. And I don't think 29 teams pass up on him the next time he hits the free agent market again (if he does).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I get what you guys are saying. I still believe he has some sort of value at the deadline. And I don't think 29 teams pass up on him the next time he hits the free agent market again (if he does).
they may not pass up on him, but I'm not sure they will pay more than a 3rd/4th rounder for him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
they may not pass up on him, but I'm not sure they will pay more than a 3rd/4th rounder for him.

He's more of a guy you include in a package. A 3rd/4th right now, but I think it could be a 2nd/3rd if he continues playing well. He isn't an ideal top 6er, but he can play there if need be. He's a solid 3rd liner that plays in all 3 positions.

Steven

May 10, 2009
I don't really see Paul Byron as a top-six guy at all. He just doesn't have the offensive prowess to play that role. Maybe on a bottom-dweller team that lacks skill upfront, but not on a competitive team with a healthy roster. He's only got 6 points through 18 games this season. I know most of us would agree he could probably have double that if he could bury his freakin' chances more though. He's closer to a 4th liner than anything imho, though he can fill in on the 3rd line. I think it's that most of us are used to seeing McGrattans populating the 4th line that it doesn't seem that way.

I don't see anyone giving up a 2nd for him, probably not even a 3rd.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
All I remember AF saying about Byron is that he was easily replacable and likely the first to go in regards to players stepping up and spots being lost, to which I agree completely. I like Byron, but right now, I would send him down before Granlund or Jooris easily. And after this season, I think he's done with us, too many people that fill spots just a little bit better. Byron doesn't bring the same intangibles a Bouma does, and he doesn't bring the talent a Granlund does, nor the mix of the two a Jooris does.

I doubt Byron stays next season, and if he does, it's an a callup/injury replacement/13th forward.

Steven

May 10, 2009
All I remember AF saying about Byron is that he was easily replacable and likely the first to go in regards to players stepping up and spots being lost, to which I agree completely. I like Byron, but right now, I would send him down before Granlund or Jooris easily. And after this season, I think he's done with us, too many people that fill spots just a little bit better. Byron doesn't bring the same intangibles a Bouma does, and he doesn't bring the talent a Granlund does, nor the mix of the two a Jooris does.

I doubt Byron stays next season, and if he does, it's an a callup/injury replacement/13th forward.

I don't know I'd go that far. I think the possibility is there that he gets pushed down with so many guys that might make it. I don't know that he'll be gone entirely. More likely, demoted to 4th line minutes/13th forward. Which I think is the role he should be used in on a competitive team anyways.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Byron is small, but he's fast as they come and he works his tail off. Unfortunately though, he's just not a sexy player because while he's definitely an asset, and does so many things to like, he's one of those tweener guys and I think sooner or later he's going to fall victim to a numbers game. I do really like him though, he always makes me bite my words and I really hope he's going to have a good career in the NHL no matter where that is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Byron is small, but he's fast as they come and he works his tail off. Unfortunately though, he's just not a sexy player because while he's definitely an asset, and does so many things to like, he's one of those tweener guys and I think sooner or later he's going to fall victim to a numbers game. I do really like him though, he always makes me bite my words and I really hope he's going to have a good career in the NHL no matter where that is.
Exactly Hox, I think this is what alot of us think.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You've never seen a 3rd line NHL player be in a slump for 10 games? It happens all the time to guys that play everyday, but Seto doesn't have thaqt luxury he averages playing only about every other game. It's hard to work out of slumps when that's all you play.

Except its not a slump, his lack of production is traceable all the way back to the 2nd half of the season in Winnipeg last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Except its not a slump, his lack of production is traceable all the way back to the 2nd half of the season in Winnipeg last year.
I don't take anything in Winnipeg seriously. They are a train wreck of an organization that should that has one of the worst coaches in NHL history. So anything that happens there is irrelevant.

I know what I see here. Hard working, involved offensively even if he's not getting points. Many of his 10 games are with players he is unlikely to have success with (which you agreed with before). I still think given compatible linemates he could score at a 15 goal pace.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You know me, I'd take Byron easily over Granlund right now. As long as we're talking about the wing position, I think Byron brings everything you could want in a winger. He's extremely smart, fast and works hard. He's like a smaller Jooris, but he doesn't play smaller.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Oops, I said he only had 6 points but I was going by HockeyDB. He's got 8. Still tho..

I think the big difference between Byron and Granny is potential though. Byron is maybe better right now, but I have little doubt that Granlund is the better player and has a much more successful career. Granlund still has a lot of room to grow at 21, Byron at 25, not so much.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Oops, I said he only had 6 points but I was going by HockeyDB. He's got 8. Still tho..

I think the big difference between Byron and Granny is potential though. Byron is maybe better right now, but I have little doubt that Granlund is the better player and has a much more successful career. Granlund still has a lot of room to grow at 21, Byron at 25, not so much.

Age isn't really a factor for me right now. Byron has earned his way onto the team. If we are thinking of moving someone, I would definitely move Glencross before Byron.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Age isn't really a factor for me right now. Byron has earned his way onto the team. If we are thinking of moving someone, I would definitely move Glencross before Byron.

Well yeah, I'd move Glenny before Byron too, and I think most Flames fans would agree. But the comparison was between Granlund and Byron. Byron is a third liner at best. He has 15 goals and 37 points in his career at 25. I could see Granlund putting up those numbers in a single season as soon as next year (though given our depth, I doubt he'd see enough ice for it). Byron brings a lot more than just stats, I realize that, but Granny has legit top-six potential. I love Byron, but come on.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Wouldn't Byron need to pass through waivers to send him down?

It would make sense to send Granlund down as he wouldn't have to pass through waivers.

Unless i'm out to lunch.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Until anyone shows that they can be as effective a third-liner as Paul Byon, I fail to see any reason why we should entertain moving or losing him. I don't see Granlund as competing with Paul Byron. Granlund's place should be in our top 6. Byron, to me, is just the absolute perfect third- or even fourth-line winger (if we commit to rolling four).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad