A must made poll: will the Oilers be back in the SCF next season ?

Oilers in the finals next year ?

• Yes

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 150 64.4%
  • Too early to say

Votes: 43 18.5%

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Kinda early. They dodged Vegas and Colorado, faced a 4th string goalie in round, 2, and faced the easier out of Vegas Colorado, and Dallas, ( the top 3 teams favorite to come out of the west)

but I feel we are underrating them though. They play a good system, and I feel they can be a threat to make it deep again next year.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
They have the coaching, top talent, great defensive system in place (back to point 1).

Fill out some depth, get a dman to play with Nurse, and a goalie to pair with Skinner (Korpisalo anyone?) and I think they make this very good team even better. Obviously easier said than done.

I'm taking the field though.

Reactions: ViD

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
They have the coaching, top talent, great defensive system in place (back to point 1).

Fill out some depth, get a dman to play with Nurse, and a goalie to pair with Skinner (Korpisalo anyone?) and I think they make this very good team even better. Obviously easier said than done.

I'm taking the field though.
Wasn’t Korpisalo just traded to Boston ?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Very unlikely. They had an all-time great PK and great PP as well. It's gonna be borderline impossible to replicate the level of success they had this playoff on special teams.

They feel like a one and done team to me.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If I had to pick a WC representative today, it’s either the Stars or Oilers but a lot can happen before the season starts and even more during the season, with injuries and such.

Reactions: MBTendy

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Make it? That's not enough anymore. With this group they need to make adjustments and win it all. They need to strengthen the blueline and sign a REAL goaltender. Quit fking around with people like Skinner, Nurse, etc. and get quality folks who show up and roll. If McDavid winning the Conn and not the Cup needs to signal both a major change and a sense of urgency.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
They are probably in a group of like 5 teams, but you always pick the field in these situations. Edmonton got a very favourable bracket and we all knew it going into the playoffs. They still did well, but you aren't always going to have that luck.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't feel comfortable enough saying the Oilers are that much better than the West.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why not? They still have the core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Nurse, Ekhlom for another year. They need to resign Brown and Foegel, they were also key players in a supporting role during their run. You need depth to win a cup. If they can do this, and their young guys continue to get better. They will be hungry like Florida was this year. They took a big step fwd this year. Skinner also showed great bounce back ability this playoffs. You can criticize him all you want but he got them to a game 7 of winning it all. He gave them a shot in game 7. If you said the Oilers would only allow 2 goals last night. Most would have bet the Oilers would be champs this morning.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’s hard to give a definitive yes given how hard it is to get to SCF, but they’ll definitely be in the mix again

Evergreen

Odds are they won't be. It's just so tough to get there and you need luck on your side. I have a difficult time believing the Oilers can make it this far again with their current goaltending situation. Skinner is passable, but I doubt he can do it again. And they are still stuck with Campbell's contract on the books. And that's in addition to the Nurse contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad