OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not sure if Linux is the answer if your primary use is gaming.
It was initially, 9 years ago, I think this machine is that old.
I'd same media is the primary use for this machine. Some games here, there. Nothing really AAA wise.
When the new box gets built, have to see which is used for what and which os for that.

Yeah, even some games, most aaa games require win 10 at this point yeah?
bleh.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It was initially, 9 years ago, I think this machine is that old.
I'd same media is the primary use for this machine. Some games here, there. Nothing really AAA wise.
When the new box gets built, have to see which is used for what and which os for that.

Yeah, even some games, most aaa games require win 10 at this point yeah?
bleh.
Its more direct X software, and steam is going to force people to update to windows 10 shortly

• Wow
Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watched 'The Artifice Girl' last night. It was actually a decent modern day film. Minimal to nil on the modern day trends of trash and focus is on the (coherent) story. I think the film has 3 sets so it's a very cheap film. The story is thought provoking.... a good mellow watch... 8/10.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
lol this site's code is so jank it won't load on mobile any more and only on Mozilla on desktop.
Basic posting you figure is pretty simple stuff... I'd imagine... maybe all these extra features they've added is making it worse and worse? Only because I remember posters being so happy they finally upgraded (or fixed or simply just 'changed') the site.

:dunno:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Rejoice! After what, nearly two months, the privacy fence is complete! Or a month.... lost track of time on the difficult at times project =P
Took about 25 hours install time - about an hour a post and eight feet (or a panel) of fence.
Didn't work over the stationary low pressure cold streak of two weeks. Many other factors contributed to the delay of a weekend or at most with a helper or two, week long project... but in total I'd say 30 hours. Looks good. I'm happy. I have peace.

Now of course it was just the one fence side (the other already has) and the two top sides of the square yard are open - for view.... and wifey goes and says, now let's put privacy fence here to close in this side.... ugggggh... that has a gate that opens and closes and has difficult parts. 2 foot section. gate. gate. 3/4 foot section and a corner.... it would have to be secured to the gate to work... or I just think we can go with a privacy tarpaulin type deal or cloth nylon whatever fabric privacy screen there....
that is actually a good idea! Good job me. :handclap:

Reactions: Zirakzigil

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I live out in the boonies so I have a horrible internet connection. Like... comically bad. This makes things like watching streaming content or playing games online impossible and even simply using my Steam account as it was intended a massive chore. All of this is working around to say that I finally was able to d/l CP2077 and check it out (along with FO4 finally and Jedi: Fallen Order) by taking my whole-ass computer over to my friend's while I was up that way on vacation.

After all the horror stories regarding it's release it sure seems like CDPR has cleaned things up. Aside from some occasional AI weirdness and minor bugs usually associated with such a massive open world game I've had a blast. And the game must be well optimized because I'm running it on a EVGA GTX1070 on Ultra pushing like 40+ FPS on average. Which I was kinda shocked by. I was just about to spend entirely too much money on a 3060, too.

Probably not a smash hit classic like Witcher 3 but in some ways I like it more. The setting is incredible and the gun play surprisingly good. Just a very stylish game.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Weird.... Did you clear you cache? That usually is the most common issue. I was just using the mobile version with no issue.
yep. not working on ios, on any web browser.

I live out in the boonies so I have a horrible internet connection. Like... comically bad. This makes things like watching streaming content or playing games online impossible and even simply using my Steam account as it was intended a massive chore. All of this is working around to say that I finally was able to d/l CP2077 and check it out (along with FO4 finally and Jedi: Fallen Order) by taking my whole-ass computer over to my friend's while I was up that way on vacation.

After all the horror stories regarding it's release it sure seems like CDPR has cleaned things up. Aside from some occasional AI weirdness and minor bugs usually associated with such a massive open world game I've had a blast. And the game must be well optimized because I'm running it on a EVGA GTX1070 on Ultra pushing like 40+ FPS on average. Which I was kinda shocked by. I was just about to spend entirely too much money on a 3060, too.

Probably not a smash hit classic like Witcher 3 but in some ways I like it more. The setting is incredible and the gun play surprisingly good. Just a very stylish game.
literally my same experience with it. the writing is a little forced and hokey (why jackie, why?) it doesn't have as much depth as it promised (but neither did the witcher series) but holy shit is it fun to just murk mobs of dumb technofuturist metalheads or weird triad members. i'm like at level 35 and i haven't even bothered with any of the plot missions because it's way more fun to do the random jobs.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
literally my same experience with it. the writing is a little forced and hokey (why jackie, why?) it doesn't have as much depth as it promised (but neither did the witcher series) but holy shit is it fun to just murk mobs of dumb technofuturist metalheads or weird triad members. i'm like at level 35 and i haven't even bothered with any of the plot missions because it's way more fun to do the random jobs.

Yeah I like how it has all the hallmarks of a CDPR game but also feels like an entirely new experience. Cruising around parts of town looking for gigs, bounties, etc. is very immersive and really makes you feel like you're part of Night City. I had reservations about how combat was going to work considering this is kinda new territory for CDPR but it turned out very nice (melee seems OP though but that's OK).

But yeah it's definitely not perfect even with all of the patching and whatnot. Some of the writing really does fall flat at least to me. But not enough to ruin the experience.

Shocked at how much Keanu turned out to be in this game. And yeah Jackie was... a choice. Don't wanna ruin anything for anyone, though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
melee is massively op. gorilla arms is like the best investment in the game even on the hardest difficulty. i do like the how y dumb johnny bravo looking character can just straight up clock out terminator like vintage mike tyson.

Also swords. put a few points in swords and just turn the world into an infomercial.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
melee is massively op. gorilla arms is like the best investment in the game even on the hardest difficulty. i do like the how y dumb johnny bravo looking character can just straight up clock out terminator like vintage mike tyson.

Yeah this game has a like... overwhelming amount of build possibilities. Netrunning/hacking seems potentially quite OP, too.

I have to imagine that the success of CP: Edgerunners REALLY helped reengage people with this game, too. Which hey... glad it worked that way because it's definitly worth playing. I know everyone rates No Man's Sky as the all time great comeback story in gaming. But I'd give it to this title.

Yet another example as to why you can't let the boardroom make decisions on this stuff. Then again CDPR saying they needed another whole year probably would have never flown regardless. But I mean... if that's what it takes to actually make a great game...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I'm hoping that the sequel will be just as good out of the box because they have a pretty good track record with working with an engine and updating it as time goes on. Witcher 1 is fun but pretty jank. Witcher 2 is like B+ (kinda like Cyberpunk) and Witcher 3 is a stone cold classic.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Relatedly, I just restarted Skyrim V for like the 90th time and have already built a sneak archer so OP I am one shotting dragons out of the sky like it's Duck Hunt.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Relatedly, I just restarted Skyrim V for like the 90th time and have already built a sneak archer so OP I am one shotting dragons out of the sky like it's Duck Hunt.
That fun in those games is getting exactly just that, OP.
Haven't played it in years. I'll never forget when it released (11-11-11) and I was in Honduras and the whole group of us would watch me play it - waiting for their copy to get sent APO -

I been playing zelda... fun, but, so restrictive.

Doing more outside stuff in the warm than games, but I do squeeze time in for games now and then.

Anyone have a wisteria? I have some questions about placement and hassle etc etc

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Three days into putting the garden in this year and my back feels like a tube of ground chuck with broken glass crunching around inside of it and my knees are making noises roughly that of an old La-Z-Boy recliner every time I get up and down.

Sucks getting old. Hope the tomatoes and peppers are worth it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Three days into putting the garden in this year and my back feels like a tube of ground chuck with broken glass crunching around inside of it and my knees are making noises roughly that of an old La-Z-Boy recliner every time I get up and down.

Sucks getting old. Hope the tomatoes and peppers are worth it.
Same thing. Garden and age.
We've minimized the garden a great deal. Way too difficult fighting off the rabbits and groundhogs and gophers and what-nots when most garden veg grow just fine in pots. So we undercut a great deal of stress and 'giving a percentage back to nature' through this method.

Still doesn't cut back on the work 🤕 :laugh:

What's your favorite garden veg? I love beans. Green beans or any variant... just go outside and pluck them and enjoy... mmmmm can't wait. Sweet carrots and radish... mmmm

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I put up fairly extensive fencing years ago with my brother's help. Sunk cinder blocks around the whole perimeter to keep from burrowing. So far so good. But damn that was a rough spring haha. We did raised beds around the inner perimeter with brick three summers ago, too. That was another fun project.

I love hot peppers of differing varieties and punch and of course tomatoes. Sweet peppers, too. I basically won't eat a tomato out of the store or restaurant anymore. And I get why so many people think they hate tomatoes. Because they've never actually had one. But yeah I love my mountain fresh variety especially and grow them every year along with various sauce tomatoes and a handful of heirlooms.

I make and can salsa and red sauce every year at the end of the season. Also do small batches of canned beets, peaches from the local orchard when they are of good quality (I like to brandy my peaches because of course I do) and hot pepper jelly. I dunno why I started doing all this years ago but aside from being hell on my back it's very therapeutic and frankly the salsa alone makes it worthwhile.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I never understood how calming a garden could be until my wife decided she wanted one a few years back. All I have is a 4x8 raised bed and a few additional troughs but I love doing it. I tried ghost peppers for the first time last year and shockingly got a bumper crop. I still have a bunch I had to freeze but I made some ghost pepper peach jam that was ****ing amazing. I still have like 8 jars put back because I'm the only one that actually eats it.

For whatever reason the one thing I could never get to work is Zucchini which is supposed to be super easy. Not sure if it's the soil or what but damn things just do not grow for me.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I never understood how calming a garden could be until my wife decided she wanted one a few years back. All I have is a 4x8 raised bed and a few additional troughs but I love doing it. I tried ghost peppers for the first time last year and shockingly got a bumper crop. I still have a bunch I had to freeze but I made some ghost pepper peach jam that was ****ing amazing. I still have like 8 jars put back because I'm the only one that actually eats it.

For whatever reason the one thing I could never get to work is Zucchini which is supposed to be super easy. Not sure if it's the soil or what but damn things just do not grow for me.

Same situation here, a couple of 4x8 raised beds. But last year our squash/zucchini/cucumbers were off the charts enormous. Tomatoes sucked. No ideas why. Although I've not dug (no pun intended) too deeply into it to figure out the why.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Same situation here, a couple of 4x8 raised beds. But last year our squash/zucchini/cucumbers were off the charts enormous. Tomatoes sucked. No ideas why. Although I've not dug (no pun intended) too deeply into it to figure out the why.

Same, not really worth the effort for me I just stopped trying zucchini. It seems to be cyclical sometimes, 2 years ago I had a ton of cukes and last year they just would not come in. Opposite that with bell peppers.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

My father can grow next to nothing on his soil... while we (mostly spouse) have a booming garden to the point it makes my father give up. His soil is rough and drab and exhausted and he refuses to put nutrient rich stuff into the soil in the off season... only natural stuff. We not dare use chemicals.

Meanwhile our soil is so rich it grows anything... same area with temps... but the soil is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad