OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Went to a physical bookstore yesterday and it was downright frustrating. Prior to going they said they had all my books. (a piano book, crime and punishment and master and margarita)

I go there they have several sections with the same books, no master margarita and a different piano book... took me an hour wandering to figure it out, but I did find a beautiful crime and punishment (pevear volokonski?) hardcover. Something called the "everyman's library". I get an urge to read nothing but hardcover for my book collection but I have to remind myself how expensive they get..
I'm a wait and get it on Libby for free guy. My wife is a get it on Libby but then also buy the special edition hardcover with painted spines for the book shelf person though so we split the difference :laugh:

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm a wait and get it on Libby for free guy. My wife is a get it on Libby but then also buy the special edition hardcover with painted spines for the book shelf person though so we split the difference :laugh:
Hardcovers are beautiful without a doubt. You / or spouse / take off the protective cover of the hard copy or leave it with sleaves on?

C&P peaver translation is like a beautiful fabric dark red cover... it even has a built in fabric cloth to book mark.... never had that before.... and I don't know how I've read without it.... I demand it in every book now!
:laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hardcovers are beautiful without a doubt. You / or spouse / take off the protective cover of the hard copy or leave it with sleaves on?

C&P peaver translation is like a beautiful fabric dark red cover... it even has a built in fabric cloth to book mark.... never had that before.... and I don't know how I've read without it.... I demand it in every book now!
They all seem to have covers/sleeves. Some even have special sleeves that sold separately from the book because apparently that's a thing :laugh:

• Wow

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I apprenticed for a few months as a bookbinder and it was cool as hell. Somedays I wish I stuck with it, they make surprisingly good money.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Libby is a great option to peruse books you're not sure of but if it's a favorite, I absolutely have to have it in physical. Frankly I probably have too many hardcover at this point but there's definitely something about having them in hand. Doesn't help that I'm a fantasy guy so Wheel of Time is what, like 14 books by itself? Realm of the Elderlings is 16 in total I think. Damn nerds and long ass series.

I do remove dust covers though. Again, maybe it's because I like fantasy novels. It looks more professorial and educated to have a shelf full of the deep black hardcover rather than a bunch of sleeves that show pictures of brawny warriors with "compensating for something?" size broadswords.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

I only buy hardcovers. Sometimes multiple copies/versions of favorites if there's a special edition or a boutique publisher that puts one out. I leave the dust jackets on except when reading.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I apprenticed for a few months as a bookbinder and it was cool as hell. Somedays I wish I stuck with it, they make surprisingly good money.
Sounds a very beautiful profession. Some books do get the heck beaten out of them... not from abuse but general wear and tear. Heck, even just reading a 500 page book I'd probably open / close it 1,000 times all the distractions etc... you can tell on a hardcover whether or not the book was even read, actually you can tell with a paperback as well.... unread books are compact, very distinct look, while read books are tossy, pages are not as crisp and puffy, wrinkled.

Where'd you book bind? I'm interested myself. C&P is such a beautiful fabric / bind it impresses me.
They all seem to have covers/sleeves. Some even have special sleeves that sold separately from the book because apparently that's a thing :laugh:
That is a thing? Dimensions are so variable or have them worked around that by design choice? There a site or a pic or something? I'm curious =]

Libby is a great option to peruse books you're not sure of but if it's a favorite, I absolutely have to have it in physical. Frankly I probably have too many hardcover at this point but there's definitely something about having them in hand. Doesn't help that I'm a fantasy guy so Wheel of Time is what, like 14 books by itself? Realm of the Elderlings is 16 in total I think. Damn nerds and long ass series.

I do remove dust covers though. Again, maybe it's because I like fantasy novels. It looks more professorial and educated to have a shelf full of the deep black hardcover rather than a bunch of sleeves that show pictures of brawny warriors with "compensating for something?" size broadswords.
We have the coolest of old fashioned librarys here... it's this castle of a old era building, it's a joy to just be inside there...
Haha, yea long book series are good for the people already into it, but anything 10+ is daunting. I read dublin murder squad at 7 (i think 7) and witcher was 7 or 8 and I'm just exhausted after it, not dub squad truthfully... that was my sweet spot.
I told ogy i think, I wouldn't mind getting into disc world, but its 50 ish some odd books!!!!!! haaaaaah.... I just couldn't. Of course I can just jump off at any point, but there is even time lines and alternate points... I hate that stuff.... (or would I enjoy prachetts writing)
Yeah, some have goofy drawings on the sleeve.... it'd be better without some beefed up guy (or gal) on the cover.
I only buy hardcovers. Sometimes multiple copies/versions of favorites if there's a special edition or a boutique publisher that puts one out. I leave the dust jackets on except when reading.
I do have the same.... but translations are tricky if needing translation.
I must have the EL (everymans library)

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
We have the coolest of old fashioned librarys here... it's this castle of a old era building, it's a joy to just be inside there...
Haha, yea long book series are good for the people already into it, but anything 10+ is daunting. I read dublin murder squad at 7 (i think 7) and witcher was 7 or 8 and I'm just exhausted after it, not dub squad truthfully... that was my sweet spot.
I told ogy i think, I wouldn't mind getting into disc world, but its 50 ish some odd books!!!!!! haaaaaah.... I just couldn't. Of course I can just jump off at any point, but there is even time lines and alternate points... I hate that stuff.... (or would I enjoy prachetts writing)
Yeah, some have goofy drawings on the sleeve.... it'd be better without some beefed up guy (or gal) on the cover.

Discworld is tough but what I've read of it is awesome. If you're not sure if you'd like the style you might want to try Good Omens. It's actually co-authored by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman but it is a stand-alone and gives a sense of the writing style and humor for both.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Sounds a very beautiful profession. Some books do get the heck beaten out of them... not from abuse but general wear and tear. Heck, even just reading a 500 page book I'd probably open / close it 1,000 times all the distractions etc... you can tell on a hardcover whether or not the book was even read, actually you can tell with a paperback as well.... unread books are compact, very distinct look, while read books are tossy, pages are not as crisp and puffy, wrinkled.

Where'd you book bind? I'm interested myself. C&P is such a beautiful fabric / bind it impresses me.

That is a thing? Dimensions are so variable or have them worked around that by design choice? There a site or a pic or something? I'm curious =]

I do have the same.... but translations are tricky if needing translation.
I must have the EL (everymans library)

I've only recently been dipping into this area, but my current favorite is The Folio Society.

I'm a genre reader (horror, sci fi/fantasy, modern fiction) though, so a bit different in choices.

I'm always looking for other specialty pubs though. Easton, Cemetery Dance ...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They seem to be things that come out for full series that end up putting a design on the spine between them

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Discworld is tough but what I've read of it is awesome. If you're not sure if you'd like the style you might want to try Good Omens. It's actually co-authored by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman but it is a stand-alone and gives a sense of the writing style and humor for both.
Speaking of Gaiman, I would LOVE to read Coraline... that movie is so amazing. I WILL pick up that book now.
Discworld... I loved the PS1 game... voiced by eric idle... wish they'd remake the darn thing. Never got into the MUD (text game).
Certain discworld time lines or whatevers have only a few books, maybe I can try one... have to look into which would be best for starters.
(the game from 20+ years ago is why I have some interest in DW)
I've only recently been dipping into this area, but my current favorite is The Folio Society.

I'm a genre reader (horror, sci fi/fantasy, modern fiction) though, so a bit different in choices.

I'm always looking for other specialty pubs though. Easton, Cemetery Dance ...
Can't say I've read a straight 'horror' book outside of goosebumps when I was a child... maybe I should explore it.... could be neat. fantasy is ok, I don't mind it, but I don't pull towards it like I do mystery/murder.
They seem to be things that come out for full series that end up putting a design on the spine between them
I do like the sets that make up a big image. LOTR had a good one, for way way way too much d's. Hardly worth it for the image on the shelf.... not to question the quality of it though, haven't touched it. Witcher I think had one. I do love the idea of a set of books having a big picture formed, or grouping them with a purchase of a sleeve for soft or hard cover is a good idea. I've only read a few sets though though. Not sure about ASOIAF having a set image (but I've loaned out my hardcovers, LIKE A FOOL.... that was before I cared to collect my finished books though. Lesson learned.

add: only one book I've ever started reading and fail to finish is 'the castle' by kafka. I think I've started officially 4 times.... I just have no idea what the heck is going on and it bothers me. Everyone is such a bastard to the guy :laugh:
Maybe I'll give that a go, reluctantly, and finish this time for once. (i finish everything I start now, good or bad). (funny enough my grand mother who we share and swap books at times didn't finish it either, and she finishes everything. At least it has me thinking it is the book and not me =P

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was never quite able to fully embrace Kindle-style book reading. I'm an old fart, after all. From all the years of buying, trading and rescuing from thrift shops I actually have a small library room I set up a few years ago. I have yet to drag a giant desk in front of the shelves for me to sit in and drink fine liquors while bitterly recounting the past but I'm working on it.

Speaking of which... why the f*** did we ever give up the aux cable? Trying to play music in modern vehicles is a damned nightmare. Random I know but this was pissing me off all day yesterday. Don't even get me started on this idea of like... subscription-based seat warmers or whatever.

The people who pushed for this shit need to get the ol torches and pitchforks treatment.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Speaking of Gaiman, I would LOVE to read Coraline... that movie is so amazing. I WILL pick up that book now.
Discworld... I loved the PS1 game... voiced by eric idle... wish they'd remake the darn thing. Never got into the MUD (text game).
Certain discworld time lines or whatevers have only a few books, maybe I can try one... have to look into which would be best for starters.
(the game from 20+ years ago is why I have some interest in DW)

Can't say I've read a straight 'horror' book outside of goosebumps when I was a child... maybe I should explore it.... could be neat. fantasy is ok, I don't mind it, but I don't pull towards it like I do mystery/murder.

I do like the sets that make up a big image. LOTR had a good one, for way way way too much d's. Hardly worth it for the image on the shelf.... not to question the quality of it though, haven't touched it. Witcher I think had one. I do love the idea of a set of books having a big picture formed, or grouping them with a purchase of a sleeve for soft or hard cover is a good idea. I've only read a few sets though though. Not sure about ASOIAF having a set image (but I've loaned out my hardcovers, LIKE A FOOL.... that was before I cared to collect my finished books though. Lesson learned.

I mentioned horror because the reason I originally went down this rabbit hole was due to a rare edition of Stephen King's IT. But these publishers certainly aren't limited to horror (outside of cemetery dance that is) or really any single genre. Lots of other options and popular series/classics/etc.. Especially Folio Society, that's why they're a favorite of mine.

I was never quite able to fully embrace Kindle-style book reading. I'm an old fart, after all. From all the years of buying, trading and rescuing from thrift shops I actually have a small library room I set up a few years ago. I have yet to drag a giant desk in front of the shelves for me to sit in and drink fine liquors while bitterly recounting the past but I'm working on it.

Speaking of which... why the f*** did we ever give up the aux cable? Trying to play music in modern vehicles is a damned nightmare. Random I know but this was pissing me off all day yesterday. Don't even get me started on this idea of like... subscription-based heat warmers or whatever.

The people who pushed for this shit need to get the ol torches and pitchforks treatment.

The only situation I can get behind for kindle usage is for travel. If I'm going somewhere for ~2 weeks to sit on a beach, that's a lot of luggage space taken up if you go with physical copies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Speaking of which... why the f*** did we ever give up the aux cable? Trying to play music in modern vehicles is a damned nightmare. Random I know but this was pissing me off all day yesterday. Don't even get me started on this idea of like... subscription-based heat warmers or whatever.

Yeah someone I know has a new car and it's a nightmare (to me). big giant lcd screen they don't subscribe to so it's just a pointless big screen there... I hate power windows (they break often and you are up the creek) and I hate blue tooth / no wires for straight connection in vehicles. Just awful.

--------

I found a copy of Shadows of Doubt, pc detective game, and wooo boy... you literally are in a simulated pixel world and have to find a murder and do it all by yourself with clues etc... it requires much more time than I figured and it's super cool, but it's requires time... maybe on a cold rainy day when I'm taking a break from everything else.

I mentioned horror because the reason I originally went down this rabbit hole was due to a rare edition of Stephen King's IT. But these publishers certainly aren't limited to horror (outside of cemetery dance that is) or really any single genre. Lots of other options and popular series/classics/etc.. Especially Folio Society, that's why they're a favorite of mine.

The only situation I can get behind for kindle usage is for travel. If I'm going somewhere for ~2 weeks to sit on a beach, that's a lot of luggage space taken up if you go with physical copies.
on kindle, i wouldn't dare. don't care about the convenience don't care about the ease of use, dont care I can literally download any book collection by the hundreds free... no. more. screens.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

For sure. They absolutely seem like an elegant solution... I'm just stuck in my ways on certain things. I usually only do my reading at home while alone so there aren't many occasions that I would pack books for trips anyway. I get distracted too easily. Although I always enjoyed reading on long flights.

Yeah someone I know has a new car and it's a nightmare (to me). big giant lcd screen they don't subscribe to so it's just a pointless big screen there... I hate power windows (they break often and you are up the creek) and I hate blue tooth / no wires for straight connection in vehicles. Just awful.

Honestly it's not even that I'm not techie enough to navigate stuff like this. I have to deal with far more complex equipment on a near-daily basis. It's just that it's a "solution" to a problem nobody ever actually had. Infotainment systems in new vehicles seem clunky, badly-integrated, underpowered and overall like just another excuse for parasitic CEOs to badger people for data and subscription services. It's damned obnoxious.

Reactions: LOGiK and Pens1566

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
For sure. They absolutely seem like an elegant solution... I'm just stuck in my ways on certain things. I usually only do my reading at home while alone so there aren't many occasions that I would pack books for trips anyway. I get distracted too easily. Although I always enjoyed reading on long flights.

Honestly it's not even that I'm not techie enough to navigate stuff like this. I have to deal with far more complex equipment on a near-daily basis. It's just that it's a "solution" to a problem nobody ever actually had. Infotainment systems in new vehicles seem clunky, badly-integrated, underpowered and overall like just another excuse for parasitic CEOs to badger people for data and subscription services. It's damned obnoxious.
Every single thing today is about getting your 'data'. Chips in bank cards, services for vehicles, internet history / browsing habits, phone usage and location data, email, tv, it's just ridiculous and I hide / cover my tracks as frequently as possible and it's just exhausting.

I use a vpn. I don't hardly but use my bank card except to get out cash. It's such a weird way to be going today. What annoys me most is paying by cash and places ask me for either my phone number or my email... and I'm past the point of furious. Now I just ask, 'why?' or 'for what possible reason?' and I'm getting grey enough to pass for an old person that may not know.... so i find humor in watching them attempt to educate me or try to sell me on it.
Just annoying having someone after every single bit of information... no matter how petty, they want it. :dunno:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm in my warm weather eating habits, well.... attempting to do so... and I usually have a banana for breakfast... I ran out and the grocer only had hard green nana's and while I'm waiting for them to ripen... the only other healthy-ish (and quick) option today was carrots.... not sure how I feel about having carrots before coffee, then coffee and carrots mixing in my stomach afterwards.... and today being a run day on top of it.... could be an interesting run.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm in my warm weather eating habits, well.... attempting to do so... and I usually have a banana for breakfast... I ran out and the grocer only had hard green nana's and while I'm waiting for them to ripen... the only other healthy-ish (and quick) option today was carrots.... not sure how I feel about having carrots before coffee, then coffee and carrots mixing in my stomach afterwards.... and today being a run day on top of it.... could be an interesting run.

Never trust a fart after mile 3.

• Haha

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Never trust a fart after mile 3.
In my advanced age (hardly, but it feels like it) I only run 2.0 ish miles 2 - 4x per week. Last year I did basically 3. The year before I did 4 times a week pretty solid too... hardly missed a run. For some reason last year I could not do 4x. Not sure if it was diet or energy or body or age or everything or nothing or what. 4x was a struggle.
2 miles is an ideal time. sometimes it's too short and I go a bit farther... or I stop at this creek and just mellow... and that is 2 miles.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Speaking of which... why the f*** did we ever give up the aux cable? Trying to play music in modern vehicles is a damned nightmare. Random I know but this was pissing me off all day yesterday. Don't even get me started on this idea of like... subscription-based seat warmers or whatever.

well I fought and I fought and finally gave in. My wife is slowly decimating and disposing my library that I painstakingly collected similarly to you, getting rid of it, I am completely converted to Kindle, don't remember last time I had paper in my hands. I did put some ultimatum to selected ones that must be saved.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My quest to read at least a book per month this year is going well. Thus far I've completed How to Fight Presidents, New Teeth, 1984, The Great Escape, Fight Club, and Snow Crash. I also finished reading The Plague (Camus) but I started reading that last year.

The book I'm currently reading is The Star Diaries by Stanislaw Lem. Quite humorous so far.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
My quest to read at least a book per month this year is going well. Thus far I've completed How to Fight Presidents, New Teeth, 1984, The Great Escape, Fight Club, and Snow Crash. I also finished reading The Plague (Camus) but I started reading that last year.

The book I'm currently reading is The Star Diaries by Stanislaw Lem. Quite humorous so far.
I wanted to like Snow Crash but just could not connect...

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Mando season finale was kind of whack. It's become a show to launch other shows. I think they've run of ideas for it personally. The fact that star wars is continuing the story of Rey makes me give zero f***s about it outside of the shows and the more it attaches itself to that story the less I care about a destroyed franchise.

Rebels aka Ahsokha will probably be the last star wars property I invest my time in.

Picard was like 100x better as a show than the entirety of all the star wars live action shows so far. And I'm not even a Star Trek fan. My wife is. But she walked me through the characters and I gave more of a shit about them than the star wars characters after the new trilogy took a dump on everything and the lack of substance in the current shows.

Even the woke casting of the new stuff is such a mess. They get some right, most wrong.

I hope Amazon Prime really looks at rebooting Stargate. As a big fan of Atlantis and Sg1 I'd love for them to blend both with the best each had to offer and make a scifi franchise worth watching instead of star wars. I wish they'd do more Expanse.
I have very fond memories of Stargate, campiness and all. I would throw something if they decided to reboot it especially as it seems most reboots are shadows of the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad