OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
ol wifey is on a horror genre run lately... something not terribly boring with lame jump scares --- and it's just so difficult to find anything of quality. Enjoys paranormal activity, watched 1 and 2 a while back... so finished it up with 3 and 4... both lacking in quality marginally. Stinkers imo. Actually enjoyed Next of Kin (PA6) and have not seen 5 marked ones or what not. PA NoK at least had that mystery of the tunnel ... enough to have my mind wondering in interest. Even if the ending stunk...

So tried 'movies similar to.....' and went with REC. whammy. Grave Encounters, whammy. Literally just nothing but F this and F that and what the F is the F with the F you F FFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
Rich people in fancy neighbor hoods.... F YOU F THIS F IT F F FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
Every day people in everyday life... F IT F ME F THIS F YOU TOO...
I feel dumber and insulted that so many movies just lather in pleb language.
Grave encounters was the worst... entire sentences filled with very few words other than F... truly is impressive and not in a positive way.

Didn't even post with that in mind, I posted to get any good spooky film of quality recommendations that we may have missed..... anyone?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
ol wifey is on a horror genre run lately... something not terribly boring with lame jump scares --- and it's just so difficult to find anything of quality. Enjoys paranormal activity, watched 1 and 2 a while back... so finished it up with 3 and 4... both lacking in quality marginally. Stinkers imo. Actually enjoyed Next of Kin (PA6) and have not seen 5 marked ones or what not. PA NoK at least had that mystery of the tunnel ... enough to have my mind wondering in interest. Even if the ending stunk...

So tried 'movies similar to.....' and went with REC. whammy. Grave Encounters, whammy. Literally just nothing but F this and F that and what the F is the F with the F you F FFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
Rich people in fancy neighbor hoods.... F YOU F THIS F IT F F FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
Every day people in everyday life... F IT F ME F THIS F YOU TOO...
I feel dumber and insulted that so many movies just lather in pleb language.
Grave encounters was the worst... entire sentences filled with very few words other than F... truly is impressive and not in a positive way.

Didn't even post with that in mind, I posted to get any good spooky film of quality recommendations that we may have missed..... anyone?

Exorcist 3

Reactions: LOGiK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the haunting of Hill House is my favorite horror thing I've watched. Though it's a small sample size, it's really not my go-to at all.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Maybe watch the most horrifying movie of all, the movie of Life.

Life_dvd_movie_cover.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Mando season finale was kind of whack. It's become a show to launch other shows. I think they've run of ideas for it personally. The fact that star wars is continuing the story of Rey makes me give zero f***s about it outside of the shows and the more it attaches itself to that story the less I care about a destroyed franchise.

Rebels aka Ahsokha will probably be the last star wars property I invest my time in.

Picard was like 100x better as a show than the entirety of all the star wars live action shows so far. And I'm not even a Star Trek fan. My wife is. But she walked me through the characters and I gave more of a shit about them than the star wars characters after the new trilogy took a dump on everything and the lack of substance in the current shows.

Even the woke casting of the new stuff is such a mess. They get some right, most wrong.

I hope Amazon Prime really looks at rebooting Stargate. As a big fan of Atlantis and Sg1 I'd love for them to blend both with the best each had to offer and make a scifi franchise worth watching instead of star wars. I wish they'd do more Expanse.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Drove my new Toyota Corolla home last week. It's ideal for a city guy, like me, looking to get from Point A to Point B. Also, my trade-in - and all of it's maintenance - is finally out of my hands.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
anyone here do any VR gaming? We just have Beat Saber and the demo for Super Hot, but it's a blast so far. Next step is to mod it so I can download more songs; the base selection isn't very good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
anyone here do any VR gaming? We just have Beat Saber and the demo for Super Hot, but it's a blast so far. Next step is to mod it so I can download more songs; the base selection isn't very good.

I've heard Super Hot is meant to be played on VR and anyone who has played it on console or PC is missing out how good it truly is.

I've been interested in VR gaming, but I think the thing that prevents me from going in on it is the lack of games at this point. I remember looking into it before COVID and the only notable games were like Beat Saber and Super Hot. I don't really know if anything has changed since then.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've heard Super Hot is meant to be played on VR and anyone who has played it on console or PC is missing out how good it truly is.

I've been interested in VR gaming, but I think the thing that prevents me from going in on it is the lack of games at this point. I remember looking into it before COVID and the only notable games were like Beat Saber and Super Hot. I don't really know if anything has changed since then.
Half Life: Alyx is the other big one for me. I'd need to look into how Resident Evil 4 and Village work for VR, and I can see getting Star Wars Squadrons. I'll probably buckle and get Vader Immortal too. oh and maybe this could be what finally gets me into Skryim. And I bet Gran Turismo and No Man's Sky are solid on here.

But yeah, that's why I haven't until now either. But my wife got a bonus from work and wanted it, and there's really not a better time to make silly purchases than with a bonus :laugh: Worth what it costs? Probably not really. But I'm glad to have it :laugh:

also I watched a rollercoaster video in VR and almost fell over :nod: it's pretty ridiculous honestly.

Last edited:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
We have a Oculus and a few games I'd say are pretty neato. Beat Saber is fun and kind of deceiving in how much a workout it actually can be. The kids love Job Simulator and Gorilla Tag. There's also a Vader Immortal Star Wars game that is only 3 chapters but I'd say it's worth it.

also I watched a rollercoaster video in VR and almost fell over :nod: it's pretty ridiculous honestly.

I forget the name of this one but it's a freebie on Oculus. It's good enough that I can't watch it because it sets off my vertigo pretty bad.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Trying out Shadows of Doubt....

Love detective stuff.
Anyone play? It's early access at this point so... a bit rough.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We have a Oculus and a few games I'd say are pretty neato. Beat Saber is fun and kind of deceiving in how much a workout it actually can be. The kids love Job Simulator and Gorilla Tag. There's also a Vader Immortal Star Wars game that is only 3 chapters but I'd say it's worth it.

I forget the name of this one but it's a freebie on Oculus. It's good enough that I can't watch it because it sets off my vertigo pretty bad.
Yeah I might get the Vader thing. And yeah I had to sit for the rollercoaster.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I got Blade & Sorcery as well but haven't had much time to dedicate to it. Basically just a few tutorial battles but it's pretty bad-ass and you do have some flexibility to do fun shit.

Tired of just chopping off heads with your broadsword? Heck, why not go full-frontal assault and stab some hairy bastards in the neck with an arrow.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
VR is really interesting to me but until the controls are better integrated for stuff like shooters etc. I am most interested in it for the purpose of racing and flight sims. I messed with an Oculus several times in the past and I just wasn't crazy about the controller setup. Seemed really clunky and kinda took me out of the immersion. But as it stands I could see myself having a ton of fun with something like Squadrons, space sims, combat flights sims (flying a WWI biplane into a massive furball in VR sounds like a lot of fun) and stuff like GT7 and other sims. I tried out the latter on my friend's PSVR and it was pretty badass and very intuitive. I thought it actually made the game significantly easier and certainly far more immersive and fun.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
VR is really interesting to me but until the controls are better integrated for stuff like shooters etc. I am most interested in it for the purpose of racing and flight sims. I messed with an Oculus several times in the past and I just wasn't crazy about the controller setup. Seemed really clunky and kinda took me out of the immersion. But as it stands I could see myself having a ton of fun with something like Squadrons, space sims, combat flights sims (flying a WWI biplane into a massive furball in VR sounds like a lot of fun) and stuff like GT7 and other sims. I tried out the latter on my friend's PSVR and it was pretty badass and very intuitive. I thought it actually made the game significantly easier and certainly far more immersive and fun.
yeah they need to figure out movement controls. That seems to be the main thing holding it back. The hand stuff is solid, but movement is tricky. I can't believe nobody has made a good Mech game for it. Perfect game to make kind of clunky controls a feature instead of a hinderance :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
yeah they need to figure out movement controls. That seems to be the main thing holding it back. The hand stuff is solid, but movement is tricky.

Yeah comparing the Oculus I used to the PSVR isn't really fair because while nice the PSVR was a headset-only affair, really. I just chucked it on my noggin and played the game on the controller as usual. What the Quest etc. are attempting to do is a bit more complex and difficult to integrate owing to the hand and movement controls but I think they will get there in time.

Frankly it's a little nuts to me how far we've come with VR even to this point. Doesn't feel that long ago that I was laughing my ass off at how shit the Virtual Boy was.

If they can sort of settle into some decent territory graphics wise I could see VR really exploding with the Survival Horror genre.

Yeah this is a really good call. Playing something like a good RE game in VR would be shit-your-pants scary.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah this is a really good call. Playing something like a good RE game in VR would be shit-your-pants scary.
I plan to get RE4 for Quest.

Sadly I am having a hell of a time getting it working with my laptop. In theory I can use the Quest 2 for Steam games but in practice apparently there are a million things that can stop it from connecting.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Sadly I am having a hell of a time getting it working with my laptop. In theory I can use the Quest 2 for Steam games but in practice apparently there are a million things that can stop it from connecting.

Ugh. Yeah... that's my other thing right now re: VR... adoption of bleeding edge tech and the hurdles involved there. I will allow brave pathfinders such as yourself to suss out the kinks and I'll jump in a bit later when it's all worked out haha

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

This is a definite obstacle. My PC is pretty decent spec wise but apparently not enough to make playing Steam VR on my Oculus viable. The whole "needing to be tethered via cable" doesn't bother me so much but the hardware requirements seem....advanced.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is a definite obstacle. My PC is pretty decent spec wise but apparently not enough to make playing Steam VR on my Oculus viable. The whole "needing to be tethered via cable" doesn't bother me so much but the hardware requirements seem....advanced.
mine is absolutely capable in terms of requirements. It's purely an issue of bugs and whatnot causing problems.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Went to a physical bookstore yesterday and it was downright frustrating. Prior to going they said they had all my books. (a piano book, crime and punishment and master and margarita)

I go there they have several sections with the same books, no master margarita and a different piano book... took me an hour wandering to figure it out, but I did find a beautiful crime and punishment (pevear volokonski?) hardcover. Something called the "everyman's library". I get an urge to read nothing but hardcover for my book collection but I have to remind myself how expensive they get..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad