OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
My wife has a work friend that she's gotten real close to here and we were invited to their wedding.

She's marrying some rapper muppet in his mid 40s that is quite awful at it and is basically a degenerate for income in the coupling. Their wedding is by Whistler and these f***ing wankers want us to stay in tents and use a communal washroom to get ready in. Which I mean, my wife looked at me and was like ok hold up babe it gets worse.

I'm thinking what the f*** is worse than that?

Dress code is casual, tshirt and jeans.

I told my wife the day I wear tshirt and jeans to a wedding, you should take me to the hospital because I either had a stroke or I'm suffering from dimentia and also I am not staying in a f***ing tent and I am wearing one of my suits. Safe to say I am not fond of this work mate of hers and her fiancé of whom I have met and it takes a lot out of me to not give him a disgusted look each time, his existence bothers me.

It worries me when idiots marry other idiots and potentially procreate to make little idiots for the idiot current generation.

In short - Aliens, if you're reading this, blow us up. We deserve it.

• Haha
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My wife has a work friend that she's gotten real close to here and we were invited to their wedding.

She's marrying some rapper muppet in his mid 40s that is quite awful at it and is basically a degenerate for income in the coupling. Their wedding is by Whistler and these f***ing wankers want us to stay in tents and use a communal washroom to get ready in. Which I mean, my wife looked at me and was like ok hold up babe it gets worse.

I'm thinking what the f*** is worse than that?

Dress code is casual, tshirt and jeans.

I told my wife the day I wear tshirt and jeans to a wedding, you should take me to the hospital because I either had a stroke or I'm suffering from dimentia and also I am not staying in a f***ing tent and I am wearing one of my suits. Safe to say I am not fond of this work mate of hers and her fiancé of whom I have met and it takes a lot out of me to not give him a disgusted look each time, his existence bothers me.

It worries me when idiots marry other idiots and potentially procreate to make little idiots for the idiot current generation.

In short - Aliens, if you're reading this, blow us up. We deserve it.

Sounds like a TV show plot.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Is anyone here a copywriter? or perhaps an email copy writer? I don't wanna work at my grocery store job anymore and wanna learn to make money online, Seen copy writers can make some good $$$ and can work remote locations. No I have no skills at all but I can easily learn. I follow a guy that's a freelancer and travels as he does his work.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Sounds like a TV show plot.

I wish it was a story. I have to f***ing live this bs in the summer. I am trying to find a way out of it. I have 3 months.

Is anyone here a copywriter? or perhaps an email copy writer? I don't wanna work at my grocery store job anymore and wanna learn to make money online, Seen copy writers can make some good $$$ and can work remote locations. No I have no skills at all but I can easily learn. I follow a guy that's a freelancer and travels as he does his work.

Can you do a female voice?
Get a pedicure and start a feet onlyfans, shave them legs and you'll figure the rest out.

You'll be rich.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm reading Karamazov and I swear, my self-proclaimed semi uneventful life is very near to this book it is scary. Just last night was so frightfully spot on to the book (minus a few things of course) it is terrifying.

That ever happen to anyone? My brain is struggling with the closeness of the details.
:help:

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm reading Karamazov and I swear, my self-proclaimed semi uneventful life is very near to this book it is scary. Just last night was so frightfully spot on to the book (minus a few things of course) it is terrifying.

That ever happen to anyone? My brain is struggling with the closeness of the details.
I just finished book 10 (which is the end of the second trilogy and end of this series as of right now) of Joe Abercrombie's First Law/Age of Madness series. He really nailed the feeling of being an ancient Magi in a slowly modernizing world :nod:

For real though, these are some of the best books I remember reading. Admittedly I haven't read that much, but still :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just finished book 10 (which is the end of the second trilogy and end of this series as of right now) of Joe Abercrombie's First Law/Age of Madness series. He really nailed the feeling of being an ancient Magi in a slowly modernizing world :nod:

For real though, these are some of the best books I remember reading. Admittedly I haven't read that much, but still :laugh:
Well, its more todo about an unfortunate family / domestic.... incident.

I was thinking about taking a break from the dreary murder fiction stuff and take a walk through the different genre, whatever 'Disc World' would be.... think there is something around 50 books in that series!? That is absurd....

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, its more todo about an unfortunate family / domestic.... incident.

I was thinking about taking a break from the dreary murder fiction stuff and take a walk through the different genre, whatever 'Disc World' would be.... think there is something around 50 books in that series!? That is absurd....
50 is way too much lol

• Haha
Reactions: LOGiK

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Nice, this just reminded me that I read The Blade Itself like, 5 years ago and stopped because I couldn't find Before They Are Hanged anywhere. I should probably look again.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wait... What?!?! What did I do to deserve this punishment?!

hfboards.jpg

giphy.gif

• Wow
Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nice, this just reminded me that I read The Blade Itself like, 5 years ago and stopped because I couldn't find Before They Are Hanged anywhere. I should probably look again.
for sure keep going, they are great. I think The Blade Itself is actually near the bottom of my overall ranking of the series. Though it's still really good, it's just weird that you finish book 1 of a trilogy and really have no clue what the actual point of the trilogy is :laugh: My coworker and I rated all of the POV characters through all 10 books (28 total I believe) and I think we both put Glokta, Logen, and Jezal near the top. Glokta was my number 1 until book 4, and then number 2 until probably book 9 or so.

I got them on Kindle and Audible mostly. They are on Libby here in Pittsburgh, but not many copies so the wait time was pretty long. I was always ready for the next one before it was available to borrow. Though you may be looking for real books I guess; I can't help you there :laugh:

Reactions: Deport Ogie

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

That’s what Dostoevsky was so good at when he was at his best— writing about the mundane universal things but making them profound.

Again, if you want something Russian that is not that, I heartily recommend Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita which is one of the best novels of all time in any language IMO.

I’m about due to start a re-read in Russian this summer.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
That’s what Dostoevsky was so good at when he was at his best— writing about the mundane universal things but making them profound.

Again, if you want something Russian that is not that, I heartily recommend Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita which is one of the best novels of all time in any language IMO.

I’m about due to start a re-read in Russian this summer.
Pixies actually recommend that a week or two ago and I put it on my to buy list when I make my next round of books purchase (which is soon)

Which translation do you recommend?
I prefer strict to true translation and not the simplification for ease of reading versions.

For Karamazov I have the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation, which is supposedly the more true translation.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@HandshakeLine *nudge nudge** which translation do you rec. on master and margarita?

_----------------------

new post:
So about the privacy fence, cedar panels with general pine I'm guessing poles. I was going to nail but now my down th eway neighbors put up exactly the same fence and faster (damn them!) and I'm not sure now if I should use screws or nails. I bought nails but it says screws hold better.
It is just if I get screws I have to ask to go into my neighbors property to secure them to the pole... ugh... I'm building the fence so I don't have to talk to them and I have to talk to them to build it. Ohhhhhhhhhh the pain the painnnnnnnn
oh. which does anyone recommend for those wise in the fencing field
:wg:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
@HandshakeLine *nudge nudge** which translation do you rec. on master and margarita?

_----------------------

new post:
So about the privacy fence, cedar panels with general pine I'm guessing poles. I was going to nail but now my down th eway neighbors put up exactly the same fence and faster (damn them!) and I'm not sure now if I should use screws or nails. I bought nails but it says screws hold better.
It is just if I get screws I have to ask to go into my neighbors property to secure them to the pole... ugh... I'm building the fence so I don't have to talk to them and I have to talk to them to build it. Ohhhhhhhhhh the pain the painnnnnnnn
Screws are better for decks and fences. Last way longer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

_----------------------

new post:
I'll have to think ask some Russian lit. friends to see if anything's changed, but stay away from the Ginsburg (1967/1995 IIRC), it's based on the shortened redacted text published during the Soviet thaw, and most later editions are from more complete manuscripts.

The one I read before I started learning Russian was the Burgin / O'Connor one. It's quite good, but keep in mind that all translation is less about translation and more about feel. So there's parts that I read in my (albeit) rusty Russian and I disagree with their translation, but it's got good annotations. It doesn't quite capture the very sardonic and witty tone of the original Russian in places, but it's a good place to go for context and explanation of, say, Bulgakov's theological or mythological references. Volokhonsky and Pevear also have a new-ish translation out that is supposedly very good, but I haven't read it, and they're kind of controversial-- some people feel they take too many liberties with idiom or tone, other people think they're the best and most readable translators of Russian literature. They did the Brothers K translation you read and if you like them, they're not a bad place to start with.

Really the Ginsburg one is the only one I would avoid, tbh, though mostly because of textual completeness, not really a slam on Ginbsurg's translation skills.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

_----------------------

new post:
Also to add to this. You can easily do it without going on their property. Just depends on the design

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Also to add to this. You can easily do it without going on their property. Just depends on the design
Drill screws backwards? From the post first through to the fence? Seems wrong.
On top I can reach over, middle... more difficult, bottom never.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Drill screws backwards? From the post first through to the fence? Seems wrong.
On top I can reach over, middle... more difficult, bottom never.
I did mine completely from my yard. Use brackets to secure the 2x4 cross sections to the posts. Like I said, depends on the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad