OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Randy Butternubs I'm starting the Kolsch now and I had a terrific idea while doing it: using a sous vide to maintain temperatures of the water/wort. You have to make sure to clean it of course, but you can get it specifically to 160 F while the grains are soaking. I don't think it will be useful once the malt gets in, but it's working really well for soaking the grains.

I think this is going to turn out like a very bready kolsch, which I'm excited about. I'm not using as much malt as I planned on but have more grains and will soak them for longer.

The recipe I have is:

-5 gallons of distilled water
-1/2 lb Weyermann Type 1 Munich
-7 lbs Pilsen light dry malt extract
-Hallertau Mittlefruh hops
-Koln Kolsch style yeast

Very simple but I think it's going to go really well.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It’s wild SDSU is doing so well.

Haven't followed them much lately (this run included), but they would have likely been the #1 overall seed in '20 before COVID shut down the tournament.

I think we're seeing the impact that the portal/NIL and teams that aren't focused on "one and done" players are having on the outcome. If you get some solid, more experienced players that fit what you're doing then they can beat the NBA factories.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Does $14k seem a bit steep to build/install a new concrete front landing, steps and walkway for the front of my house? I figured maybe around $8-$10 grand for everything, including taxes. But the estimate came in at slightly over $14k.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Does $14k seem a bit steep to build/install a new concrete front landing, steps and walkway for the front of my house? I figured maybe around $8-$10 grand for everything, including taxes. But the estimate came in at slightly over $14k.

I had my front retaining wall replaced, steps expanded, sidewalk replaced, and brick work replaced. Total was just over $15k ($5k just for the brick work). This was in November. The owner did let me know that concrete prices were going up in January of this year.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I just had my driveway and my back patio expanded in September. It was a little over 10k so that number doesn't surprise me at all

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Have you gotten 3 bids? Always get multiple bids for work like this.

I'll be honest, doesn't sound to far off.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
just beat Deathloop. Really good game. Arkane does good work. Deathloop, Prey, and Dishonored are all great. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was fun too, didn't realize that was them until I just looked up what they've made. I'll need to play Dishonored 2 and check out these Wolfenstein games they worked on.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Anyone ever try Molson Canadian Premium? Not their usual white label, but the gold label.

Not half bad tbh. Fully expecting to get shit on here though. But I found it to be pretty refreshing and crisp

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Personally not a fan of hers or her husband.

I am pretty pumped for the Blue Beetle movie though.
I loved Ladybird and Squid and the Whale is really good too. Marriage Story is solid enough (though I'll never watch it again, it's just miserable). I didn't know he co-wrote Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr Fox with Wes Anderson, so apparently I like him more than I thought :laugh: But I haven't seen anything else of theirs. But Barbie looks super weird and fun and I like the cast.

The trailer for Blue Beetle looks fun enough certainly, though I know nothing at all about it. That said, I'm excited for this guy to recruit him for the Big Bad Beetleborgs Cinematic Universe in the post credit scene
c4b2476740ff2c43c4f2a029ebd1e797003260d4_full.jpg

Anyone ever try Molson Canadian Premium? Not their usual white label, but the gold label.

Not half bad tbh. Fully expecting to get shit on here though. But I found it to be pretty refreshing and crisp
I haven't had the premium but I think Molson is generally pretty decent. Crisp and refreshing are my go-to characteristics of beer at this point, maybe I'll give it a go.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Have you gotten 3 bids? Always get multiple bids for work like this.

I'll be honest, doesn't sound to far off.
It feels a bit steep but poured concrete has been expensive as hell for awhile now.

I had my front retaining wall replaced, steps expanded, sidewalk replaced, and brick work replaced. Total was just over $15k ($5k just for the brick work). This was in November. The owner did let me know that concrete prices were going up in January of this year.

I just had my driveway and my back patio expanded in September. It was a little over 10k so that number doesn't surprise me at all
Thanks. Yeah, I'd heard that prices for stuff like that have skyrocketed because of limited supply or whatever. Just was a bit shocked at exactly how high they went up.

But I guess if I figured it could be around 10k, and add in the exploding cost of everything nowadays, an extra 4k is reasonable.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I loved Ladybird and Squid and the Whale is really good too. Marriage Story is solid enough (though I'll never watch it again, it's just miserable). I didn't know he co-wrote Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr Fox with Wes Anderson, so apparently I like him more than I thought :laugh: But I haven't seen anything else of theirs. But Barbie looks super weird and fun and I like the cast.

The trailer for Blue Beetle looks fun enough certainly, though I know nothing at all about it. That said, I'm excited for this guy to recruit him for the Big Bad Beetleborgs Cinematic Universe in the post credit scene
c4b2476740ff2c43c4f2a029ebd1e797003260d4_full.jpg

I haven't had the premium but I think Molson is generally pretty decent. Crisp and refreshing are my go-to characteristics of beer at this point, maybe I'll give it a go.

Shiiii now I'm gonna have to try regular Molson too. Labatt is alright, like that's all it is, is alright. Very inoffensive, good first beer for a 21 to get into things before getting exposed to more diverse tasting beers. Crisp and refreshing is a go to for me as well. Beer snobs are so damn lame, and I'm normally a bourbon guy. But it doesn't hit that refreshing spot a cold beer does

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Shiiii now I'm gonna have to try regular Molson too. Labatt is alright, like that's all it is, is alright. Very inoffensive, good first beer for a 21 to get into things before getting exposed to more diverse tasting beers. Crisp and refreshing is a go to for me as well. Beer snobs are so damn lame, and I'm normally a bourbon guy. But it doesn't hit that refreshing spot a cold beer does

Yeah, bourbon while on the riding mower in the summer just doesn't sound the same.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't commonly drink cheaper beer, but Moulson is always a decent one whenever I do. Moulson and Rainier are both pretty decent.

Although I say this as I'm drinking Blue Moon, which isn't exactly imported German beer either :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Moosehead is my favorite of the Yuengling/Molson tier of lager. It's definitely my go to refreshing beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad