OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Stuck in a situation now with this dang privacy fence.
Neighbors who had existing chainlink fences zip tied portions of the 6' cedar dog earred panel TO the EXISTING fence and it looks fine.
I did it that (being quick and much easier) and I'm worried the weight will crush the chain-link fence.... so after DRAGGING and lifting 10 panels of 6x8 into my yard (renting the truck and all) I think it's time to call someone to put posts in (not that I can't but I dont have a blasted truck or hauling) so I concede to hiring someone.

Problem is now... I called a few who said "we only use our own materials"
HUH!? It's done. It's here. go bring your posts and put it up.... ridiculous.

Now I have to find someone who will put it up that isn't able to charge me their prices for their mats...
Bobcat operators will often drill and install posts only if thats what you want. Did that with my previous house.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Bobcat operators will often drill and install posts only if thats what you want. Did that with my previous house.
Have someone in the family that does that stuff...
So just doing it with his help. He'll do the posts and we'll just attach privacy panels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Man I forgot how much getting dumped sucks, this sucks :laugh:

Ultimately it's the correct call because we're just at two different points in our lives, where I want something more serious and she's not at that point mentally yet. But man it's still a huge bummer after how well things were going.
It sucks. But its better to be with the right person than waste time with the wrong one. Doesnt make the present feel any better though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It sucks. But its better to be with the right person than waste time with the wrong one. Doesnt make the present feel any better though.

Yeah exactly, this is spot on. It hurts like hell but ultimately what was the point of continuing if it wasn't going to go any further?

It will just take some time.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Ultimately it's the correct call because we're just at two different points in our lives, where I want something more serious and she's not at that point mentally yet. But man it's still a huge bummer after how well things were going.
Sometimes my wife and my gf argue and I wonder why I bother at all. Single life has less stress mate.

Always has been.

It's like a walmart after 10pm over there.
I feel like some of it has filtered into our board, I hate having to put so many on ignore in our own board. But the main board is ridiculously bad. The moderating on the main board is the main reason. They play favs and allow this bs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sometimes my wife and my gf argue and I wonder why I bother at all. Single life has less stress mate.

Yeah I'm already doing way better. We grabbed lunch together yesterday and really helped clear the air, we're going to stay friends and start hanging out again in a month. Shame that we're just at 2 different points in our lives despite being similarly aged, but it's just not the right time right now.

I'm still 100% happy if all I get out of this is a nice friend group of friends my age.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think I know why.... :laugh:

Also, that new Mando episode was epic.

200w.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Randy Butternubs beer brewing question for you, I believe you have brewed in the past so I wanted to ask. I'm starting to brew again but I'm going to actually pick out my own ingredients instead of just buying the pre-packaged stuff. Do you have a source to find out recipes for how much/what you need for making your own kind of recipes?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Randy Butternubs beer brewing question for you, I believe you have brewed in the past so I wanted to ask. I'm starting to brew again but I'm going to actually pick out my own ingredients instead of just buying the pre-packaged stuff. Do you have a source to find out recipes for how much/what you need for making your own kind of recipes?

I kinda just make it up. First step is to determine what type of beer you want to make. That'll help you determine the type & amount of grains/extract. And it'll also help you determine how many hops (and what type) you'll need and at what stages in the boil. This is a good site listing hops and their properties: Hop Profiles

But more importantly, you can only buy what's available so you may need to adjust based on that.

I've made a few recipes going this route. For example, I wanted to make a stronger pumpkin ale that was brown and not too heavy on the hops. I adjusted the inputs on this calculator until it came out what I was looking for:

Final recipe:

7bf47efda4ecd2c0c9e989adaa6eba80_raw.jpg

Or you could just find recipes on that Brewer's Friend site and adjust to your liking.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Redacted. Not for permanent display.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So for years people have told me I would eventually like ipas, darker beers, etc over time. I am definitely finding myself sliding back the other way instead. Give me a moosehead lager or a mich ultra lime and prickly pear. If I am somewhere that has it I love a nice fruited sour. Just had a strange roots orange creamsicle sour and some raspberry lemonade sour the other day and they were delicious.

Also I just drink less when I watch less hockey :laugh:

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I kinda just make it up. First step is to determine what type of beer you want to make. That'll help you determine the type & amount of grains/extract. And it'll also help you determine how many hops (and what type) you'll need and at what stages in the boil. This is a good site listing hops and their properties: Hop Profiles

But more importantly, you can only buy what's available so you may need to adjust based on that.

I've made a few recipes going this route. For example, I wanted to make a stronger pumpkin ale that was brown and not too heavy on the hops. I adjusted the inputs on this calculator until it came out what I was looking for:

Final recipe:

7bf47efda4ecd2c0c9e989adaa6eba80_raw.jpg

Or you could just find recipes on that Brewer's Friend site and adjust to your liking.

Thanks for the info, this really helps for sure. I haven’t yet made my own recipes, I’ve only gotten the pre-packaged stuff before, but I'm going to a homebrew place where I can pick out all of my ingredients in about half an hour.

That website you sent over is going to be super useful. That place is a really good starting point for what to be looking for, and it can let me tune what I'm looking for as well. This recipe is very similar to what I'm going to be trying to make:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Thanks for the info, this really helps for sure. I haven’t yet made my own recipes, I’ve only gotten the pre-packaged stuff before, but I'm going to a homebrew place where I can pick out all of my ingredients in about half an hour.

That website you sent over is going to be super useful. That place is a really good starting point for what to be looking for, and it can let me tune what I'm looking for as well. This recipe is very similar to what I'm going to be trying to make:

I imagine Seattle will have a better brewing ingredient selection than Pittsburgh.

All-grain brewing is something I want to get into, but I don't have a big enough brewing space. Though I may rig some stuff on my covered back porch and do it there.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Last week I found out I have multiple pulmonary embolisms and lung infarctions. Started blood thinners but I guess I should be thankful I’m not dead at this moment. This really gets in the way of some major surgery’s i needed.

@MetalheadPenguinsFan You can have my account if I bite the dust. Just don’t ruin it! You know how beloved I am.

I am deeply touched yet IMO unworthy of this great walrus privilege. :) :(

Hang in there Walrus old chap!!! We still gotta wash you down at the lake again…remember!! :laugh: :laugh:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
f***ing April Fools…I got tricked twice today!! :laugh: :shakehead

First time, I got an email from a dispensary here in town saying they are now focusing on “Cannabis and Shroom” because “the Canadian Government just legalized magic mushrooms!!! So c’mon in!!!” (Spoiler: The government didn’t really legalize shrooms of course)

:laugh:
:banghead:
:madfire:

Second time, a thingie on my Instagram popped up saying another specific item I’ve wanted for years, is now finally availablefor $69.69 and will ship out April 31st
:facepalm:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Ooh my pts are off and I can like posts now. What a weird thing to take away with that bs. Not being able to show positive feedback.

I thought the episode was ok. The show isn't really blowing me away this season. I feel like whatever they're setting up, the slow play isn't for me right now. They better have another show lined up otherwise they've learned nothing about why they're losing subscribers.
f***ing April Fools…I got tricked twice today!! :laugh: :shakehead

First time, I got an email from a dispensary here in town saying they are now focusing on “Cannabis and Shroom” because “the Canadian Government just legalized magic mushrooms!!! So c’mon in!!!” (Spoiler: The government didn’t really legalize shrooms of course)

:banghead:
:madfire:

Second time, a thingie on my Instagram popped up saying another specific item I’ve wanted for years, is now finally availablefor $69.69 and will ship out April 31st
:facepalm:
Listen, just send me your social insurance number and your credit card information and I can sort this out for you.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ooh my pts are off and I can like posts now. What a weird thing to take away with that bs. Not being able to show positive feedback.

I thought the episode was ok. The show isn't really blowing me away this season. I feel like whatever they're setting up, the slow play isn't for me right now. They better have another show lined up otherwise they've learned nothing about why they're losing subscribers.

Listen, just send me your social insurance number and your credit card information and I can sort this out for you.
It's positive punishment =P
It does bother you enough to keep some form of discipline .... no?
:wg:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Question!

If you 'Wow' like someone, is that a like counted towards general account 'Likes'....
Say, someone posts something wildly ridiculous, and not in a wow that is interesting sort of manner, but a wow that is absolutely ridiculous type of response... it goes to the likeometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad