OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
My quest to read at least a book per month this year is going well. Thus far I've completed How to Fight Presidents, New Teeth, 1984, The Great Escape, Fight Club, and Snow Crash. I also finished reading The Plague (Camus) but I started reading that last year.

The book I'm currently reading is The Star Diaries by Stanislaw Lem. Quite humorous so far.
OK, here is my Kindle Que right now:
Cixin Liu: The Three-Body Problem Books 2 and 3 (Dark Forest and Death's End)
Tessa Hadley: Free Love, The Past
Edward Ashton: Three Days in April
Murakami: Man Without Women; Tokio Blues; First Person Singular
Octavia Butler: Parable of the Sower; Parable of the Talents
Aleksandar Hemon: The World and all that It Holds

Its gonna take me a while to get through these...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
OK, here is my Kindle Que right now:
Cixin Liu: The Three-Body Problem Books 2 and 3 (Dark Forest and Death's End)
Tessa Hadley: Free Love, The Past
Edward Ashton: Three Days in April
Murakami: Man Without Women; Tokio Blues; First Person Singular
Octavia Butler: Parable of the Sower; Parable of the Talents
Aleksandar Hemon: The World and all that It Holds

Its gonna take me a while to get through these...
That's what I thought about The Brothers Karamazov and here I'm on the final 100 😢
I've been with it for about two months I'm going to miss it!
But that is only one book and you have several.

-----------

Finally.... yes, still working about on the privacy fence.... have devised the ultimate solution in constructing this fence.... half polish... half trial and error... but I've figured it all out. :vhappy:

Only about 4 more panels to hang up and I used more posts (by previous polish design mention) and it looks cooler that way.... fortified.... and now all that remains is the level part, mostly level. The difficult part was the steps and leveling. I can now comfortably install a new fence with confidence if need be. Learning has occurred =]

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I have very fond memories of Stargate, campiness and all. I would throw something if they decided to reboot it especially as it seems most reboots are shadows of the originals.
I wouldn't be mad at it. Since they'll have time to develop it better based on the rich history they've created with the stories in Sg1 and Atlantis. I think they have 2 great shows to pull from and understand that they need to make a show that is a hybrid of both.

With how good expanse and others were, it just needs attention from Amazon with the right blokes in charge and get an amazing cast and bring back some great old cast members.

Rodney and Shephard would he great. I don't think Momoa would come back. He's too busy making shit movies with Vin Biofuel.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Honestly it's not even that I'm not techie enough to navigate stuff like this. I have to deal with far more complex equipment on a near-daily basis. It's just that it's a "solution" to a problem nobody ever actually had. Infotainment systems in new vehicles seem clunky, badly-integrated, underpowered and overall like just another excuse for parasitic CEOs to badger people for data and subscription services. It's damned obnoxious.

My issue with all this tech is that it's buried behind menus on submenus. "Hey you should keep your eyes on the road at all times"

Yea that was easy to do when I had physical knobs for everything that I really needed, but now I have to remember which submenu controls the bass for the music.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My issue with all this tech is that it's buried behind menus on submenus. "Hey you should keep your eyes on the road at all times"

Yea that was easy to do when I had physical knobs for everything that I really needed, but now I have to remember which submenu controls the bass for the music.
Classical and mixed bag alternative classical all day when I'm driving (unless audio book for distance)... it brings the mellow and calm to me.
☺️

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
First beer ready to drink, it turned out super solid. Tastes like your standard Kolsch, which I'm happy about because it means I didn't screw it up :laugh:

I think it's a bit wheatier than I was expecting, but I'm not complaining at all because I like that wheaty taste. Overall really happy with this.

Edit: I can also tell the ABV is high because it's kicking my ass right now. I've had 2 of them with 1 Blue Moon and I'm already feeling it. The ABV reading I got when I calculated it was about 6.3%, I don't know if it's really that high but it's definitely up there. I must have just gotten super active yeast.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Down 15 pounds in about 3 and a half weeks (210), I do 100 pushups a day too , drink 4L of water, and just started hiking again. Cooked up some chicken thighs in the air fryer and eating it I got a whiff of 1 as I was almost done and feel like shit atm and my stomach is making noises. Food poisoning is my guess since I feel a little off right now. Oh well I got 20 more pushups to do.

I have very fond memories of Stargate, campiness and all. I would throw something if they decided to reboot it especially as it seems most reboots are shadows of the originals.
Yes stargate SG1 was awesome.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone watch the BKFC?

Bare knuckle... pretty brutal stuff. I don't follow it, just watch it to get my cringe in and be done with it because I just couldn't do continuous damage to my brain no matter how much money it paid.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Down 15 pounds in about 3 and a half weeks (210), I do 100 pushups a day too , drink 4L of water, and just started hiking again. Cooked up some chicken thighs in the air fryer and eating it I got a whiff of 1 as I was almost done and feel like shit atm and my stomach is making noises. Food poisoning is my guess since I feel a little off right now. Oh well I got 20 more pushups to do.

Yes stargate SG1 was awesome.
Good for you man! Keep it fun is my only recommendation. If you make it work -- well, who likes work after so long? So keep it fun.

I started lifting last year, I was 165 in summer (by my goofy scale) didn't weigh myself all winter - for I do not torment myself nor my lungs in the ice cold - but lifted all winter...
After much reading and sitting all winter (plus my job site closed in november) I didn't do much for a bit. Started running on a warm day in late FEB and my (goofy) scale said 185 and I said gahhhh I've never weighed 185 before in my life. WELL expect in bootcamp and I was all muscle)
Anyway I've ran probably 25+miles this running season and I've only got down to 181, so I'm wondering if I just gained muscle.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Trailer for Dune: Part 2 is out if anyone cares.
I'm really interested to see how they end it compared to the book.
It's very much not a cinematic ending and I'm curious how closely Denis Villeneuve is able to stick to that in a Hollywood blockbuster. I don't remember how much, if any, they mentioned his terrible purpose in the first book.

I'm also just interested in seeing Alia in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pens1566

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm really interested to see how they end it compared to the book.
It's very much not a cinematic ending and I'm curious how closely Denis Villeneuve is able to stick to that in a Hollywood blockbuster. I don't remember how much, if any, they mentioned his terrible purpose in the first book.

I'm also just interested in seeing Alia in general.

Especially since the rumor is they will be making "Dune Messiah" as well.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Good for you man! Keep it fun is my only recommendation. If you make it work -- well, who likes work after so long? So keep it fun.

I started lifting last year, I was 165 in summer (by my goofy scale) didn't weigh myself all winter - for I do not torment myself nor my lungs in the ice cold - but lifted all winter...
After much reading and sitting all winter (plus my job site closed in november) I didn't do much for a bit. Started running on a warm day in late FEB and my (goofy) scale said 185 and I said gahhhh I've never weighed 185 before in my life. WELL expect in bootcamp and I was all muscle)
Anyway I've ran probably 25+miles this running season and I've only got down to 181, so I'm wondering if I just gained muscle.
Thanks but I have been yo-yoing for YEARS! I have posted multiple times on my weight loss journey, but this time I am going all the way NO MATTER IF IT KILLS ME!!! One day I will reach 1,000 pushups a day (they are easy if you break them up throughout the day), 500 pullups, hit the heavy bag, run 5 miles a day, lift the weights. Who needs a gym when you have the outside world to train in?

Good luck to you, think I will throw my scale away tbh.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Thanks but I have been yo-yoing for YEARS! I have posted multiple times on my weight loss journey, but this time I am going all the way NO MATTER IF IT KILLS ME!!! One day I will reach 1,000 pushups a day (they are easy if you break them up throughout the day), 500 pullups, hit the heavy bag, run 5 miles a day, lift the weights. Who needs a gym when you have the outside world to train in?

Good luck to you, think I will throw my scale away tbh.
That to me sounds NOT FUN! haha... I'm a moderate exercise guy though. I'd get my work done by sports when I was younger and gym to just get some muscle.
If you have the time and the effort is there, it's worth it. Thing is if you don't use it you lose it, so it's best (imo) to keep a decent cycle up that won't lapse into sedentary weight gain (for me -- through the years).

Scale is like pc gaming and frame counting with your gpu. Kills it if you let it obsess you.

I, likewise, train outside. I only use dumb bells because I can throw them around when I'm otherwise sitting around.
Ran today in the rain... was bliss. I love being in the rain.
🏃‍♂️
💪

Reactions: 66-30-33

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
In my last 40 of brothers karamozov.
Worth it. Recommend it. A bit long and off-topic on some bits, like say the 40 pages or so of elder zosima diaries, etc, but have good philosophical purpose, so it works.

Shame to nearing the end. Was a wild ride. Can see the significance of re-reading, but I'm not a re-reader. Up next in the queue, Crime and Punishment, only because of my ginsburg master and margarita (waiting for my pevear copy)

Reactions: HandshakeLine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I was just going over some routine, but overdue, pc maintenance and got the reminder that windows 10 is an absolute thief when it comes to reporting personal .... everything. Since the whole reason I even upgraded to 10 was because of the raytracing and gaming side of things and since having cooled off on gaming have little need of windows 10 and its implacable desire to report all my doings. I'm thinking of ditching it for either windows 7, which still has its obvious microsoft tentacles in it, but nowhere near the level of 10 (that I could be aware of)...

I'm familiar with Linux, well I was, from debian to redhat to ubuntu and even tried sunos out many many moons ago. I guess I'm posting to see if anyone has any non windows os going on. Yes Linux has game support and has came a long way from the x11 gui and all that... I guess I'm just wondering has it become more improved accessible wise? Support wise?

I am unsure between the lazy choice of win7 or the adventure of whatever Linux distro is now the main go to distro.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I was just going over some routine, but overdue, pc maintenance and got the reminder that windows 10 is an absolute thief when it comes to reporting personal .... everything. Since the whole reason I even upgraded to 10 was because of the raytracing and gaming side of things and since having cooled off on gaming have little need of windows 10 and its implacable desire to report all my doings. I'm thinking of ditching it for either windows 7, which still has its obvious microsoft tentacles in it, but nowhere near the level of 10 (that I could be aware of)...

I'm familiar with Linux, well I was, from debian to redhat to ubuntu and even tried sunos out many many moons ago. I guess I'm posting to see if anyone has any non windows os going on. Yes Linux has game support and has came a long way from the x11 gui and all that... I guess I'm just wondering has it become more improved accessible wise? Support wise?

I am unsure between the lazy choice of win7 or the adventure of whatever Linux distro is now the main go to distro.
Not sure if Linux is the answer if your primary use is gaming.

Reactions: LOGiK and Pens1566
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad