HFJets STH renewal 2019

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

For those STH up for renewal this year, are you, or is your group renewing?

• Total voters

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
My Aunt and Uncle didn't renew their P5's this year. Other than the renewal email, they didn't get a single call or email asking them if there was anything that could be done to keep them as ST holders. They felt like they were tossed aside like trash. And they were on the fence when it came to renewing...my Aunt wanted to cancel and my Uncle was leaning toward renewing.

With even a little bit of effort (maybe a slight relocation or a free hat or...something...) they probably would've been able to get them to renew for another term. But alas, there was zero point zero effort made in attempting to hold on to them. To me, that's going to be a significant problem for TN if they don't get that figured out.

Interesting. I in no way am doubting that but just wanted to point out that I not only received numerous emails, I also received two phone calls about renewal. Somewhat fascinating in how they are treating people differently. I wonder if it boils down to something as simple as the efficiency of your individual rep?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Interesting. I in no way am doubting that but just wanted to point out that I not only received numerous emails, I also received two phone calls about renewal. Somewhat fascinating in how they are treating people differently. I wonder if it boils down to something as simple as the efficiency of your individual rep?

It's definitely the rep. I seem to have a new rep every season and they've had varying levels of communication.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Damn, Hoosli's an option for weddings?! You make me wish I hadn't ran away to Mexico to do the deed :laugh:

Also very crappy of TNSE not to do more for them. I mean, they were freaking amazing. Plus not a great way to inspire people to want to come back to sing the anthem
I bet they would've been happy if you'd flown them down and put them up for a week at an all-inclusive. You only get married once (or so)! :D

Reactions: Afterburner

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
If that's true, it makes me wonder why they keep coming back. Does Stacey get paid, or do they hoof her out the door before the opening faceoff?

I've seen Stacey during the game and during intermissions several times so I suspect that she's either a STH or they give her a seat.

m.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
My take is TNSE doesn't mind squeezing the ST base and push out those that are not well suited for the long haul and have them replaced by those on the wait list who can cover the season ticket costs over time and also up the amount of seats in corporate hands. If Winnipeg can't handle supporting a professional sports franchise then yes Chipman has a very lucrative asset he can bring to market. It is only his ties to Winnipeg that got us back a franchise in the first place. If you were going to relocate a NHL team 99.9% of owners wouldn't choose a wholesale loving city of 800,000 on the Canadian prairies.
Yes that is a great question. Why did the NHL decide that Winnipeg with it's 15,300 seat arena, could make it a go long term with the increasingly high salary cap? I don't know.

I know this for sure, we aren't capable or willing to spend what TN wants us to spend. With the waitlist at I figure at 1000, there's not much left to go by.

I like my coupons. I like free hats. Does TN think this is Toronto? As much as it sucked to lose the Jets, we as a city bit the bullet and moved on.

So you agree this is not gonna work out long term? #wholesalecity

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes that is a great question. Why did the NHL decide that Winnipeg with it's 15,300 seat arena, could make it a go long term with the increasingly high salary cap? I don't know.

I know this for sure, we aren't capable or willing to spend what TN wants us to spend. With the waitlist at I figure at 1000, there's not much left to go by.

I like my coupons. I like free hats. Does TN think this is Toronto? As much as it sucked to lose the Jets, we as a city bit the bullet and moved on.

I'll agree it won't last long term unless enough people are willing to pay the price of supporting a professional sports team in the modern era. It won't be cheap, but everyone should have known that back in May 2011. I for one will be a ST holder until the day I die or the team moves. When we got the team back I vowed I'd do whatever I could to ensure they never left again. Back when we lost version 1.0 there wasn't much I could do to help keep the team. I was early in my career, had just bought a house and was being crushed by a mountain of student loan debt. For people in that position I understand the cost of supporting a NHL team is unfathomable. I don't understand the need to complain about it constantly, but I understand that financially it is impossible.

Now I'm well established in my career and happily pay the cost. I'm part of a 4 person ST group for 2 seats at a price point that everyone in the group can easily afford. The tickets are in my brother's name and every year he tells me how much I owe him per month. I know it is going up every year but can't be bothered to do the math to know by how much, nor do I really care. I just hope there are enough people like me and enough corporate support to make a go of it over the long term. Time will tell.

And for those who aren't getting good service from their rep, do something about it. Every organization will have a few s**** employees, so go above their head and let someone with the authority that can do something about it know. Any manager/supervisor worth a lick of salt will want to know and will act on the information.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Don't know. What I do know is there was no way it was going to keep working in any Canadian city ( except Toronto ) without a cap.

What is puzzling is this... Winnipeg basically sells out every game, they have some of the highest ticket prices in the league, and we have annual ticket increases each and every year regardless of the on ice performance... yet we are to believe that this is necessary for the long term survival of the franchise. If this is the case then how is it that there are probably 10 teams currently in the league that sell tickets at bargain basement prices, yet other than the one in Arizona, there doesn't seem to be any concern over the stability of these franchises. Maybe these teams except losing money every year? Or they except that they will get revenue sharing each year? Not sure.

All I can say is that IMO the current path the Jets are on re: perpetually compounding ticket increases without the STH seeing a real benefit in being a season ticket holder... is not sustainable forever.
You need to show your customers there is a reason to buy season tickets. And I feel the days of " I need to be a STH " are going and are being replaced by " I can buy tickets whenever I feel I want to go ".

Reactions: blues10

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'll agree it won't last long term unless enough people are willing to pay the price of supporting a professional sports team in the modern era. It won't be cheap, but everyone should have known that back in May 2011. I for one will be a ST holder until the day I die or the team moves. When we got the team back I vowed I'd do whatever I could to ensure they never left again. Back when we lost version 1.0 there wasn't much I could do to help keep the team. I was early in my career, had just bought a house and was being crushed by a mountain of student loan debt. For people in that position I understand the cost of supporting a NHL team is unfathomable. I don't understand the need to complain about it constantly, but I understand that financially it is impossible.

Now I'm well established in my career and happily pay the cost. I'm part of a 4 person ST group for 2 seats at a price point that everyone in the group can easily afford. The tickets are in my brother's name and every year he tells me how much I owe him per month. I know it is going up every year but can't be bothered to do the math to know by how much, nor do I really care. I just hope there are enough people like me and enough corporate support to make a go of it over the long term. Time will tell.

And for those who aren't getting good service from their rep, do something about it. Every organization will have a few s**** employees, so go above their head and let someone with the authority that can do something about it know. Any manager/supervisor worth a lick of salt will want to know and will act on the information.
I think they are in it for the long haul. True North's business plan also includes considerable real estate investments, which also hinge on the draw of an NHL team in downtown Winnipeg. They certainly knew that there were a finite number of seats and a finite price point where they could sell a ticket.

Reactions: JetsNut

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Don't know. What I do know is there was no way it was going to keep working in any Canadian city ( except Toronto ) without a cap.

What is puzzling is this... Winnipeg basically sells out every game, they have some of the highest ticket prices in the league, and we have annual ticket increases each and every year regardless of the on ice performance... yet we are to believe that this is necessary for the long term survival of the franchise. If this is the case then how is it that there are probably 10 teams currently in the league that sell tickets at bargain basement prices, yet other than the one in Arizona, there doesn't seem to be any concern over the stability of these franchises. Maybe these teams except losing money every year? Or they except that they will get revenue sharing each year? Not sure.

All I can say is that IMO the current path the Jets are on re: perpetually compounding ticket increases without the STH seeing a real benefit in being a season ticket holder... is not sustainable forever.
You need to show your customers there is a reason to buy season tickets. And I feel the days of " I need to be a STH " are going and are being replaced by " I can buy tickets whenever I feel I want to go ".

All good and observations I agree with them all.

Perhaps they are pricing out some and the ones that will remain will be the affluent and/or corporation types in for the long term to establish a more solid STH base with less short term turnover.
In turn, creating more demand for single game tickets by all these fans who used to be STH. This will allow TN and remaining STH to sell more single game tickets to the average joe fan... at face value.
I say face value because, as this evolves, I figure there will be less STH that will sell their seats at cost because they won't have to, the demand will be there.

It's an interesting strategy... The single game ticket demand is low because the STH price is too low.
Jack the STH price up to price more people out of it and create more single game ticket demand. Then everyone is happy... TN makes more money, the STH can sell their tickets at face value due to the added single game ticket demand and all those who don't want to commit, for whatever reason, can pickup single games whenever they want.

The trick is TN doesn't want to loose too many STH. I wonder what they'd be comfortable with?
Let's see how it plays out in the next 5 years...

Reactions: KingBogo

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Perhaps they are pricing out some and the ones that will remain will be the affluent and/or corporation types in for the long term to establish a more solid STH base with less short term turnover.
In turn, creating more demand for single game tickets by all these fans who used to be STH. This will allow TN and remaining STH to sell more single game tickets to the average joe fan... at face value.
I say face value because, as this evolves, I figure there will be less STH that will sell their seats at cost because they won't have to, the demand will be there.

It's an interesting strategy... The single game ticket demand is low because the STH price is too low.
Jack the STH price up to price more people out of it and create more single game ticket demand.
Then everyone is happy... TN makes more money, the STH can sell their tickets at face value due to the added single game ticket demand and all those who don't want to commit, for whatever reason, can pickup single games whenever they want.

The trick is TN doesn't want to loose too many STH. I wonder what they'd be comfortable with?

That logic makes zero sense. The people who would be getting the season tickets at a higher cost are currently in the single game ticket market. The pool of people to sell to in no way will increase by charging more for tickets. That's nonsensical.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
That logic makes zero sense. The people who would be getting the season tickets at a higher cost are currently in the single game ticket market. The pool of people to sell to in no way will increase by charging more for tickets. That's nonsensical.

I'm not sure you understood what I meant...

Demand for single games is low, not because the price is too high, but because all the would-be buyers are already STH or part of a group...

So, raise the price on the current STH to the point that some don't renew, replace them with corporations or more affluent STH.

Then, the old STH become single game buyers increasing the single game demand, even at the raised prices because net price to them will be less than being a STH, not to mention no commitment, pre-season, cherry pick games, etc.

Voila!

Now, I'm not an MBA, nor have I studied economics or anything like that but, it makes some sense, in theory... maybe?

Last edited:

han316

Feb 6, 2013

Demand for single games is low, not because the price is too high, but because all the would-be buyers are already STH or part of a group...

So, raise the price on the current STH to the point that some don't renew, replace them with corporations or more affluent STH.

Then, the old STH become single game buyers increasing the single game demand, even at the raised prices because net price to them will be less than being a STH, not to mention no commitment, pre-season, cherry pick games, etc.

Voila!

Now, I'm not an MBA, nor have I studied economics or anything like that but, it makes some sense, in theory... maybe?

As an old STH I will probably only buy from a current STH for the majority of games I go to next year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Voila!

The team may sell a few more face value tickets for Friday night games against Original 6 teams, but not many people are ponying up face value for Tuesday night games against the Panthers. So if the base drops to 12,000 or 10,000, the Jets will have to move thousands of largely undesirable tickets every night. They do not want that.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Voila!

Your theory would only work on the basis that the more affluent new buyers of the Season tickets at the higher price are currently not in the market for single game seats. Not sure on what your basing that on. Why would a potential buyer of season tickets not be in the market for single game tickets currently? I don't think that's a logical assumption.

All you would be doing is changing which people are in the single ticket market, it would now be the less affluent folks who can no longer afford season tickets, replacing the affluent people who now become season ticket holders. The prices of the tickets are now higher, the markets for singles is now somewhat less affluent, all I see that doing is decreasing sales.

Reactions: Sabadecade

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

The poorly supported markets don’t make sense to me either.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

You, as an individual, should not feel responsible for an NHL team staying in a city.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Your theory would only work on the basis that the more affluent new buyers of the Season tickets at the higher price are currently not in the market for single game seats. Not sure on what your basing that on. Why would a potential buyer of season tickets not be in the market for single game tickets currently? I don't think that's a logical assumption.

All you would be doing is changing which people are in the single ticket market, it would now be the less affluent folks who can no longer afford season tickets, replacing the affluent people who now become season ticket holders. The prices of the tickets are now higher, the markets for singles is now somewhat less affluent, all I see that doing is decreasing sales.

I see where you're coming from now... It does make my theory more like rearranging deck chairs.

One would figure the people waiting to become STH would be interested in single games at least in the mean time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Jack the STH price up to price more people out of it and create more single game ticket demand. Then everyone is happy... TN makes more money, the STH can sell their tickets at face value due to the added single game ticket demand and all those who don't want to commit, for whatever reason, can pickup single games whenever they want.

Interesting idea and I mostly agree and some of this is where I was going with some earlier posts. I don't think TNSE minds at all weeding out some current ST holders. I think they would like to open up opportunity for those on the wait list who are better suited to be long term stable ST holders. During the initial frenzy a lot of people bought into ST that were ill suited for the long term for any variety of reasons. Didn't have the time, didn't have the financial resources etc. Earlier I mentioned a retired friend of mine who is very well suited to be a ST holder who was just getting offered tickets after 8 years on the waiting list. He will get 2 seats and barely look at the invoice. On top of a pension he runs a lucrative consulting business and his wife is a very highly paid professional. He will go to about half the games and give away tickets to the other half of games to people who would not otherwise go either through business connections, boards he sits on etc. Many of this tickets would end up in the hands of underprivileged kids due to the nature of his work so he doesn't contribute to the flooding of the secondary market. This type of ST holder is much preferable to someone who is uncomfortable with the financial commitment no matter what the reasons.

Reactions: Sabadecade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad