Low Effort GDT Battle of Ontario: Toronto (away) vs. Ottawa (home), 7 p.m. EDT, (TSN 5, TSN 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I also don't want him playing 60+ games as he may get burnt out much like Brodeur did in Jersey and Helleybuck in Wpg when they both played a lot of regular season games. This is of course only applicable if they do make it to the playoffs.
Brodeur did not get burnt out by playing too many regular season games. He played more than 70 regular season games in 12 different seasons and won three Stanley Cups. Hardly a case of burnout.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is the identity undiscplined play?

-13 penalty differential for those 3 last year.

It'll be fun to watch if they can stay out of the box, or at least draw more penalties than they take.
Identity the team is being built around its captain. They were awesome yesterday until Greig got hurt. They will energize the team and building, on sleepy nights in February they can be the difference makers because they will drag everyone into the fight. But I am not surprised at all you wouldnt like this concept.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes. He was -11 in penalty differential last year.

Greig was also bad at -6, but Cousins was +4. Not surprising given how many players want to punch him in the face.
Perron was +2 two seasons ago, cousins +5,

Not sure how much you can read into penalty differentials. there are penalties you are happy to take and penalties you never want to see, doesn't show up in raw stats though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not sure how much you can read into penalty differentials. there are penalties you are happy to take and penalties you never want to see, doesn't show up in raw stats though.
It was the only argument he could come up with. This team hasnt had an identity this line could help give them one. They are all pricks to play against, can play any way you want too, skill, physical, shut down. A perfect third line, could have an effect like the Moen Pahlsson Niedermayer line in Anaheim.

Some posters just dont want to accept the identity that Staios is trying to build I guess. Its been deliberate and obvious, its how winning teams play. But some people would rather build a team like the leafs.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
It was the only argument he could come up with. This team hasnt had an identity this line could help give them one. They are all pricks to play against, can play any way you want too, skill, physical, shut down. A perfect third line, could have an effect like the Moen Pahlsson Niedermayer line in Anaheim.

Some posters just dont want to accept the identity that Staios is trying to build I guess. Its been deliberate and obvious, its how winning teams play. But some people would rather build a team like the leafs.
Big fan of how staios is building the team.

Flashy hockey is fun, but not more fun than winning games.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

The number fluctuates by season, obviously, but Perron has had several seasons of -10 or worse in the last 5 years.

He's always been a hothead who takes the occasional bad penalty. We saw that when he lost his **** and inexplicably cross checked Zub in the face.

Would have rather we not signed Perron and kept Joseph, as Joseph is less dirty but harder to play against, one measure of which is whether teams are forced into taking penalties against him. Joseph has always been a guy who draws penalties with his speed and tenacity, Perron less so.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Identity the team is being built around its captain. They were awesome yesterday until Greig got hurt. They will energize the team and building, on sleepy nights in February they can be the difference makers because they will drag everyone into the fight. But I am not surprised at all you wouldnt like this concept.

Tkachuk is a great person to build a team's identity around. He's very physical, works hard, and importantly is very disciplined for someone who is as gritty as he is.

It's not energizing to be put on the penalty kill after dumb penalties, and Perron-Greig-Cousins isn't a line that is going to be a net positive for this team if they are undisciplined and take many more penalties than they bait other teams into taking against then.

Shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Tkachuk is a great person to build a team's identity around. He's very physical, works hard, and importantly is very disciplined for someone who is as gritty as he is.

It's not energizing to be put on the penalty kill after dumb penalties, and Perron-Greig-Cousins isn't a line that is going to be a net positive for this team if they are undisciplined and take many more penalties than they bait other teams into taking against then.

Shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.
Although I agree with the gist of your post about how Perron-Greig-Cousins needs to be disciplined, I'm curious as to how you perceive Tkachuk as disciplined. He's 5th in penalties taken, 3rd in penalties drawn, but his net penalties aren't even in the top 50.

He'll get mad at teams scoring on an empty net after the buzzer, some bs code about players being disrespectful, but we can't really talk considering Greig's slapshot goal.

Along with continuing his improved defensive play under Martin, continuing to be a 35g+ guy, Captain Tkachuk needs to reign in the penalties and be more strategic. Hopefully Perron or Cousins stepping up to do the undisciplined shit will keep Brady out of the box and focused on staying on the ice where we need him in situations we're down a goal or two.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Although I agree with the gist of your post about how Perron-Greig-Cousins needs to be disciplined, I'm curious as to how you perceive Tkachuk as disciplined. He's 5th in penalties taken, 3rd in penalties drawn, but his net penalties aren't even in the top 50.

He'll get mad at teams scoring on an empty net after the buzzer, some bs code about players being disrespectful, but we can't really talk considering Greig's slapshot goal.

Along with continuing his improved defensive play under Martin, continuing to be a 35g+ guy, Captain Tkachuk needs to reign in the penalties and be more strategic. Hopefully Perron or Cousins stepping up to do the undisciplined shit will keep Brady out of the box and focused on staying on the ice where we need him in situations we're down a goal or two.

He draws more penalties than he takes, which is very impressive considering he's regularly in the running for most hits in the league.

People might think Perron-Greig-Cousins will be so gritty and annoying that they'll goad the opposing team into penalties, and that may be true to an extent, but if they are taking more dumb penalties than they are drawing, like they did last year individually for example, that isn't going to help the team win games.

It's an example of the fallacy that a team is "hard to play against" if they are tough and gritty, despite losing more games than they win, like we did last year despite being top 10 in hits and penalties.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Joseph is less dirty but harder to play against, one measure of which is whether teams are forced into taking penalties against him. Joseph has always been a guy who draws penalties with his speed and tenacity, Perron less so.
What exactly are you basing this off of? They have completely different skillsets. Perron in particular is excellent at winning battles along the boards and being in the right areas of the ice, something the team was lacking last year. We replaced Joseph's speed with Gregor.

Reactions: Relapsing and LiseL

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Brodeur did not get burnt out by playing too many regular season games. He played more than 70 regular season games in 12 different seasons and won three Stanley Cups. Hardly a case of burnout.

More teams have moved to tandems over the last 5-10 years. Brodeur last played 70+ games in 2009-2010. That season, 14 goalies played 60 or more games. Out of those 14, 7 of those played 70 or more games. This past season, only three goalies played 60 or more games, with the high being 64.

Ullmark has never played more than 49 games in a season.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Too be fair, the Devils built around Brodeur. They had one of the best dcores assembled at the time and Stevens would headhunt anyone that got near Brodeur.

Not sure if we'll ever see anyone approach the number of starts Brodeur did. Price in his Hart calibre season only had 66 starts

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If it makes you feel better, they are both on my Plex server.

Twice even! One copy for 4k and one copy for 3d.

I can also provide a long list of dreadful movies I do like that are also on my server.

Nice, but every movie has eye candy it seems. I think 20 year old me would have loved it, but I'm more about the dialogue driven dramas as I've aged.
I like action adventure films in general (like the Bourne series) but not the non-stop action crash and bang versions which I find too be sleep inducing.

I also like suspense and mystery drama type films/stories such as Smiley's People and Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Alec Guinness versions). I strongly dislike "whodunnits?" with all the red herrings and cute script-writing.

Last night I started to watch Breaking Bad again as I could not find anything else interesting.

I'll take window #2! :)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I like action adventure films in general (like the Bourne series) but not the non-stop action crash and bang versions which I find too be sleep inducing.

I also like suspense and mystery drama type films/stories such as Smiley's People and Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Alec Guinness versions). I strongly dislike "whodunnits?" with all the red herrings and cute script-writing.

Last night I started to watch Breaking Bad again as I could not find anything else interesting.

I'll take window #2! :)
May I suggest Barry as your next series to watch then? I think it's on Crave/HBO.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If you like spy thrillers, I really recommend A Spy Among Friends, a recent miniseries with Damien Lewis and Guy Pierce which nobody saw.

But it is good.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
May I suggest Barry as your next series to watch then? I think it's on Crave/HBO.
I will have to look it up. I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, not Crave nor HBO at this time.

If you like spy thrillers, I really recommend A Spy Among Friends, a recent miniseries with Damien Lewis and Guy Pierce which nobody saw.

But it is good.
I will look that up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad