Post-Game Talk: Heritage Classic: Canucks lose 4-2 to the Senators - Blame The Closed Roof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Cause those players aren't necessarily getting younger, and these are players that at least hold some positive trade value. Don't see the point of keeping them around on a team that's heading into a rebuild, and yes, it will likely be a rebuild.

Booth and Burrows are waiver fodder right now and the Sedins are next to untradable right now with their contracts. May as well keep the Sedins around to mentor the up and coming prospects right? Cap space won't be an issue for a while now...

Fair enough. I just think keeping vet guys like that for next season is a smart thing to do. If things continue to do poorly next year, you've got players you can move during the season or at the deadline for younger players or picks. Getting rid of everyone except the Sedins is a recipe for failure imo, not a rebuild.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The team came right out and admitted that the followup game against Boston in 2012 sent them into a spiral. Why is it so hard to believe?

The Pens went through the same thing but it didn't stop them from going back to the SCF. Am I supposed to believe the Canucks suddenly don't give a damn about winning games anymore?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If Gillis doesn't start the rebuild at this upcoming deadline, he's lost me.

Going by past trades, there's really no difference between trading players on contract at the trade deadline and trading them at the draft. Hell, could make a case for the draft returns being better.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Torts is actually handling the goaltending questions really well. I guess he has no choice but to handle it well, otherwise he'd be just adding fuel to the fire.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
at this point who really cares where the decline happened, whether it was after the finals or after the regular season win to boston or after the playoff loss to the kings...couldn't care less at this point when the end result is a team in freefall

in the big picture a game like today's a couple days before the trade deadline was probably good, because there's no excuse that management can hang it's hat on...the team is inexplicably slow and tentative, has unprecedented lack of production from its highest paid players, manufactured a goalie controversy, has little in the pipeline to assist for next season...it's as bleak a situation as this franchise has been presented with in 10 years

fortunately some of it can be salvaged if gillis makes some smart moves before wednesday and some smarter moves at the draft, but i'm also not deluded into thinking this team is going to come back much stronger next season if we move out kesler, edler and luongo for futures

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If Gillis doesn't start the rebuild at this upcoming deadline, he's lost me.

Thing is, do we assume rebuilding is the way to go, or was this a transition year due to a new coach? Furthermore, is that coach the right fit, are his assistant coaches good, or do one or all of them need to go? While I can fine trading Kes for the right price, I cannot help but one if this isn't the year to do it.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think retool will be the goal.......if we go do shark model where we dump some players while keeping some core players

This is a much different situation than the Sharks, they still had a good team but needed to get faster so they traded there slower players, Canucks are in full decline and no help,in the system that can make an impact now, way different situations.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Going by past trades, there's really no difference between trading players on contract at the trade deadline and trading them at the draft. Hell, could make a case for the draft returns being better.

Both are fine. It's just that if the Nucks don't do anything the fanbase will be stewing until June.

I don't know what they do... I think it really depends on the offers.

I'd be interested to know who all is in play because I can't believe it would just be Kesler, Luongo and maybe Edler.

Revolution9*

For a guy who claims to not be bothered by it, you've been telling people an awful lot about it. I'm surprised you aren't an Oilers fan already.

No that was only if we traded Luongo for nothing... remember?

Country>Team>Player right :sarcasm:

I liked how 2 guys with beards scored our goals today. Would have been nice if they were the Swedish ones though :/

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Lol how is this even defendable ?

@IanEsplen: Daniel/Hank/Burrows=22goals
Kesler=21goals
I think the problem in Vancouver is pretty obvious
#KeslerHasNoHelp

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Thing is, do we assume rebuilding is the way to go, or was this a transition year due to a new coach? Furthermore, is that coach the right fit, are his assistant coaches good, or do one or all of them need to go? While I can fine trading Kes for the right price, I cannot help but one if this isn't the year to do it.

The problem lies deeper within just the coaches, I think everyone should see this by now.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That's a highly questionable statement.

Agreed, it's also impossible to prove.

I love Luongo and wish him the best but I really just want to buy him out at season end or move him somewhere that he'll go to/will take him.

Start again next year with no lingering controversy, run with Lack and whoever, maybe Halak or something. Just remove the storyline that's been running for the last 3 years and go in healthy with some nice new pieces.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
But seriously, what's the alternative? Keep him for two more seasons and watch him walk for nothing? Trade him as an upcoming UFA before then for a fraction of what he can get now? That "travesty" of a return will never get better than it will be come Wednesday.

I don't know ... maybe you keep and build a first line around him. Put Kassian with the Sedins for your second line and have some of the young guys come in on the third.

Trade Bieksa for a young forward.

A line of Kassian Henrik and Kesler?

I don't know, I guess it does make sense to get the most value and trade Kesler now, but if you don't get good value back for him then the team is really screwed.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think retool will be the goal.......if we go do shark model where we dump some players while keeping some core players

Well that wouldn't be the end of the world because if it doesn't work we'll just end up selling next years deadline instead of this one. Delays the major sell off a year but shouldn't set the team rebuild back, and next years draft seems better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad