Post-Game Talk: Hellecrook steals one from the Sharks 3-2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Actually shot-metric wise, Scheifele was our best skater outside of Bourque.

Roslovic was the worst outside of Gustaffson, Suess, and Shaw.

Just sayin. ;)
Good point-I stand corrected.
However, that doesn’t change the fact that Maurice does not hold everyone equally accountable. The bromance is held to a completely different standard.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You are actually making a point here against Maurice. Boston is a much more successful team because the coach holds the ENTIRE team accountable-including his vets. Everyone is accountable. I think Maurice could actually take notes here.

Great post here Mbraunm --I couldn't have said it better myself -- but if Maurice hasn't had the guts to do this over the time he's been here, I don't think he'll change his ways --but that's what's needed.

Look at this Trotz guy with the Islanders -- he has command of that team and they've won 7 or 8 in a row, and haven't done that in 30 years -- great coach.

Maurice has to get a lot tougher on his star players.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Good point-I stand corrected.
However, that doesn’t change the fact that Maurice does not hold everyone equally accountable. The bromance is held to a completely different standard.

Well, depends on how much weight you put into shot metrics. It's subjective. No problem if you subjectively feel Roslovic was better.

As for the accountability thing...we said the same of Noel and probably can say the same about most NHL coaches. Vets have a longer leash in sports. It's actually more rare, IMHO that they don't. Not saying it's right or wrong. IMHO it's just how sports go.

As for the interpersonal musings...all the psychoanalysis about how Maurice is supposedly intimidated by Wheeler and Scheifele, and assumptions about personality and motivations...etc...I don't like to guess on that stuff. It's just too 'gossipy' for me.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016

Great post here Mbraunm --I couldn't have said it better myself -- but if Maurice hasn't had the guts to do this over the time he's been here, I don't think he'll change his ways --but that's what's needed.

Look at this Trotz guy with the Islanders -- he has command of that team and they've won 7 or 8 in a row, and haven't done that in 30 years -- great coach.

Maurice has to get a lot tougher on his star players.
Great point! If Maurice could change his leadership style, this team could improve significantly.

Reactions: rkp and GNP

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Well, depends on how much weight you put into shot metrics. It's subjective. No problem if you subjectively feel Roslovic was better.

As for the accountability thing...we said the same of Noel and probably can say the same about most NHL coaches. Vets have a longer leash in sports. It's actually more rare, IMHO that they don't. Not saying it's right or wrong. IMHO it's just how sports go.

As for the interpersonal musings...all the psychoanalysis about how Maurice is supposedly intimidated by Wheeler and Scheifele, and assumptions about personality and motivations...etc...I don't like to guess on that stuff. It's just too 'gossipy' for me.
You make some valid points. It’s just my opinion, and many, many others that the favouring of the bromance has gone far beyond what is good for the team. It is painfully obvious. That being stated, you seem to be cool with it.

We certainly disagree on his treatment of Scheif and Wheeler relative to the rest of the team.

In the end, we both want this team to win while being led by the coach in a manner that benefits on ice performance.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
At least that explains why Ehlers wasn't on the top unit. I guess as long as PP1 is designed to set up a shooter at the left circle or in the slot Ehlers won't be on it if he doesn't want to play his off side.
I don't think Ehlers has a problem playing either side, he has played his off side a lot and has a great one-timer, but Maurice wanted to put him in the slot, and I don't think Ehlers feels like put in a position to succeed then (which again would not benefit the team neither).

and... maybe it's time to redesign PP1. It's getting stale and figured out.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
giphy.gif

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
You make some valid points. It’s just my opinion, and many, many others that the favouring of the bromance has gone far beyond what is good for the team. It is painfully obvious. That being stated, you seem to be cool with it.

We certainly disagree on his treatment of Scheif and Wheeler relative to the rest of the team.

In the end, we both want this team to win while being led by the coach in a manner that benefits on ice performance.

Yeah, I guess I'm fairly cool with it. I guess Scheif and Wheels have collected enough brownie points for me over the years that they have a longer leash with me. And I just don't think the bromance is as deleterious as it's sometimes made out to be here.

Of course fans are going to be frustrated about it...like say in football when the coach is seems to always utilize the veteran running back instead of the younger guy. Or in baseball when he starts pitcher A instead pitcher B. He has more faith in them for some reason or another, for better...or for worse. I think it's just an ordinary part of sports. And when the team isn't winning as much as we like, everything is magnified.

So in that manner I don't think Maurice is particularly good...or bad, at how he disciplines his players. It's just ordinary. His overall game structure and special teams strategies though...are another matter. :)

None

Feb 22, 2012
I don't think Ehlers has a problem playing either side, he has played his off side a lot and has a great one-timer, but Maurice wanted to put him in the slot, and I don't think Ehlers feels like put in a position to succeed then (which again would not benefit the team neither).

and... maybe it's time to redesign PP1. It's getting stale and figured out.

Maurice said that Ehlers took himself off of PP1 for the reason I said, but at the same time said that he only moved him up to begin with out of respect for being the top point producer on the team.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018

Helly with the steal and first time ever I love his post game comment...

“You know what, they scored three. They did their job, I did my job.”

Modesty in the face of a great effort.

On a night when Bitteto is your best dman you know you have huge problems. Thankfully we had epic goaltending.

Roslo continues to impress and was skater of the night. Relentless on the puck and slick set up to Ehlers on the winner. Best two forwards this year so far.

Damn that was fun.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Maurice said that Ehlers took himself off of PP1 for the reason I said, but at the same time said that he only moved him up to begin with out of respect for being the top point producer on the team.
We got different things out of the Maurice interview, I guess.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Hmm. 53 shots eh. They let in 7 goals the previous game right? Something about the way this is trending is bothering me but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Reactions: Heldig and GNP

None

Feb 22, 2012
We got different things out of the Maurice interview, I guess.

Ehlers practiced in Wheeler's spot on the PP; not in the slot. He feels more comfortable playing along the left side on the wall or at the top of the left circle, which on PP1 is Laine's spot. Connor was in the slot, Scheifele played the left circle in Laine's typical area, and Wheeler was playing down low where Connor normally does on PP1 during practice.

Maurice made it sound like Ehlers literally came to him and said if he wasn't playing on his preferred side he'd rather be on PP2, I don't think there's really anything there to interpret.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Ehlers practiced in Wheeler's spot on the PP; not in the slot. He feels more comfortable playing along the left side on the wall or at the top of the left circle, which on PP1 is Laine's spot. Connor was in the slot, Scheifele played the left circle in Laine's typical area, and Wheeler was playing down low where Connor normally does on PP1 during practice.

Maurice made it sound like Ehlers literally came to him and said if he wasn't playing on his preferred side he'd rather be on PP2, I don't think there's really anything there to interpret.
Yes, he was on the half wall during practice according to Twitter etc., but why does Maurice clearly say in the post-game presser, they wanted him to play in the slot, and he didn't feel comfortable there, so they put Perreault in the slot instead?
And according to Maurice, Ehlers then preferred to instead play his natural side (normal position on PP2) on PP2. I don't get, where he says, he doesn't want to play his off side?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yes, he was on the half wall during practice according to Twitter etc., but why does Maurice clearly say in the post-game presser, they wanted him to play in the slot, and he didn't feel comfortable there, so they put Perreault in the slot instead?
And according to Maurice, Ehlers then preferred to instead play his natural side (normal position on PP2) on PP2. I don't get, where he says, he doesn't want to play his off side?

I don't think he ever implicitly said anything about Ehlers in the slot, he only said Ehlers prefers to play on his own side. He said Perreault is really good in the slot. He specifically said Ehlers prefers to play on his natural side, which is the left side on PP2. Because he specifically refers to handedness being a factor you have to assume it's because he was asked to play the setup role on the wall where Wheeler normally plays and where they had him in practice.
The only time he references the slot with regards to Ehlers is towards the very end and I think he's referring to Perreault when he said (paraphrasing) players generally don't like playing the slot (but Perreault does).

Edit: To add we also know that Ehlers was playing in Wheeler's spot along the wall in practice, I'm not sure why he'd get moved to the slot come game time with no practice there. I think it takes a leap in logic to assume Maurice was referring to Ehlers in the slot given that.
But then again the media coverage can be pretty bad, maybe the PP was making actual rotations in practice and they only noticed Ehlers along the right half-wall.

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
This is why Maurice is a .500 career!
Seriously Maurice has coached Ehlers for how many ficken years now and he still does not know his strength and weaknesses ... give me a break.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So after all it was not a Finn or Lose situation?

Roslovic is my man. I am already sad Maurice just wont try him on a 2C when Laine returns. 27-18-28 is looking good, but I'd love to see 27-28-29. Won't happen without injuries, since we have Maurice, and "you have to earn the spot", but you don't earn your spot by playing well under Maurice. It's about intangibles, the locker room and 778 vs 772, etc. gibberish.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
This is why Maurice is a .500 career!

Maurice has .524 career, but as he has more losses than wins, I guess he is "under .500 real", as there is that BS thing nowadays in NHL that for OT games there is 3 points to be shared.

He is also 0.450 in playoffs wins-losses.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Helly with the steal and first time ever I love his post game comment...

“You know what, they scored three. They did their job, I did my job.”

Modesty in the face of a great effort.

On a night when Bitteto is your best dman you know you have huge problems. Thankfully we had epic goaltending.

Roslo continues to impress and was skater of the night. Relentless on the puck and slick set up to Ehlers on the winner. Best two forwards this year so far.

Damn that was fun.

Remember Bucky's first game, where he asserted he had so much more to offer in the play of the game, but he got bad dice?

Well, he proved that statement true, cause tonight HO LEE SHIT did he get the good dice, and he held the fort and got the two.

He's obviously our starter.

That is all.

Reactions: Calendal

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I don't think he ever implicitly said anything about Ehlers in the slot, he only said Ehlers prefers to play on his own side. He said Perreault is really good in the slot. He specifically said Ehlers prefers to play on his natural side, which is the left side on PP2. Because he specifically refers to handedness being a factor you have to assume it's because he was asked to play the setup role on the wall where Wheeler normally plays and where they had him in practice.
The only time he references the slot with regards to Ehlers is towards the very end and I think he's referring to Perreault when he said (paraphrasing) players generally don't like playing the slot (but Perreault does).

Edit: To add we also know that Ehlers was playing in Wheeler's spot along the wall in practice, I'm not sure why he'd get moved to the slot come game time with no practice there. I think it takes a leap in logic to assume Maurice was referring to Ehlers in the slot given that.
But then again the media coverage can be pretty bad, maybe the PP was making actual rotations in practice and they only noticed Ehlers along the right half-wall.
I re-listened to the Maurice interview, and I think your interpretation is correct;)

Then, I guess, it is me being surprised, if Ehlers doesn't feel comfortable playing his off wing. I mean, he played there recently with Connor on LW, and seemed comfortable there, and I think he mostly played RW in Europe and juniors in Halifax. That could have changed of course...

Reactions: None

None

Feb 22, 2012
I re-listened to the Maurice interview, and I think your interpretation is correct;)

Then, I guess, it is me being surprised, if Ehlers doesn't feel comfortable playing his off wing. I mean, he played there recently with Connor on LW, and seemed comfortable there, and I think he mostly played RW in Europe and juniors in Halifax. That could have changed of course...

Yeah, I think it's pretty strange as well but maybe Ehlers really wants to get back into a shooters mentality and feels like he's more successful from the left side.

Reactions: hn777

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
so I'm listening to what I can only surmise is the one and only country song dedicated to nursing your last drink tonight.

given that the other country song I know of, joked about waking up in piss and vomit and running their rig illegally down to Tiajuana

basically what I'm thinking is, Jets win rules, sharks loss drools :P

help. me?

Reactions: kanadalainen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad