Post-Game Talk: Hellecrook steals one from the Sharks 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He only coached Toronto Carolina and Winnipeg where should he be in winning percentage with these 3 juggernauts.

Toronto is Toronto, and Carolina/Hartford faced also some difficulties and had some years with bad team, but he has had multiple seasons with real contender teams with Carolina, and a couple with Winnipeg as well. Carolina won championship straight after getting rid of Maurice, and when Maurice got back to Carolina, he eventually got kicked out to Winnipeg.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Sens fans should send Hellebuyck an edible arrangement after that one. Without Hellebuyck we are staring Top 3 lottery odds in the face.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Toronto is Toronto, and Carolina/Hartford faced also some difficulties and had some years with bad team, but he has had multiple seasons with real contender teams with Carolina, and a couple with Winnipeg as well. Carolina won championship straight after getting rid of Maurice, and when Maurice got back to Carolina, he eventually got kicked out to Winnipeg.

The original point would still stand - he's coached some bad teams and decent teams - thus the 500+ average.
Some might even consider this a decent record - but that would depend on how you want to look at things and who you need to blame.

Reactions: Stumbledore

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Carolina won a cup straight after getting rid of Maurice? Sorry that is false

He was fired 30 games into the 03/04 season, and Laviolette didn’t fair much better taking over that season.

The following season was a lockout.

So almost 2 years later which is hardly straight after. 2 years ago we were in a conference finals, lots can change in 2 years as we are seeing.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We should all be more like Helly. He doesn't get upset with himself when they loss and he gives others credit when he wins. I'll take the two lousy games he's given us in exchange for all the magnificent games as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Roslo deserves some praise here with Helle. The only player creating chances in the third period. I know a lot of people missed it because of the ill-timed commercial break but GameCenter had it, Roslo blocked a shot, then on the ensuing dump in he stole the puck from Karlsson, fed Little for a grade A chance, then got the rebound, deked around a couple defenceman to get a quality shot that was blocked by Karlsson.
He had a very good couple of shifts.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Yeah, I guess I'm fairly cool with it. I guess Scheif and Wheels have collected enough brownie points for me over the years that they have a longer leash with me. And I just don't think the bromance is as deleterious as it's sometimes made out to be here.

Of course fans are going to be frustrated about it...like say in football when the coach is seems to always utilize the veteran running back instead of the younger guy. Or in baseball when he starts pitcher A instead pitcher B. He has more faith in them for some reason or another, for better...or for worse. I think it's just an ordinary part of sports. And when the team isn't winning as much as we like, everything is magnified.

So in that manner I don't think Maurice is particularly good...or bad, at how he disciplines his players. It's just ordinary. His overall game structure and special teams strategies though...are another matter. :)

Well, doesn't that make him a bad coach if he isn't able to develop those issues for a positive/winning result?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Two points is two points but man was that ugly.

Outside of a few individual performances I'm at a loss as to what the heck this team is trying to do on the ice. We are so disjointed moat nights it's incredibly hard to discern any type of system. It is beyond comical for an NHL team.

I honestly have no idea what the game plan seems to be know outside of collapse and bunker around Helle and then hope to be opportunistic on the few chances we create.

This team bunkers, can't breakout and can't maintain any sustained offensive pressure. It is honestly a mess and I really can't see the end game here from this coaching staff anymore. Either the team needs to do a 180 or we need a new voice imo. As a paying seat holder I will not be at all happy to fork out big dollars for whatever it is th
Right now, the problem starts at the top of the lineup. Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler remains a dysfunctional line that bleeds shots defensively. Morrissey is having a really shaky season so far. As long as the top players are struggling, the Jets will not succeed. Maurice needs to abandon the notion that Scheifele and Wheeler need to play together vs. top lines. Morrissey needs to get his game together. Even up the line distributions and try to create at least 3 strong lines.

Still, with this D the Jets won't be a serious contender, so focus on developing a few young players, starting with Niku and Gustafsson.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
The original point would still stand - he's coached some bad teams and decent teams - thus the 500+ average.
Some might even consider this a decent record - but that would depend on how you want to look at things and who you need to blame.
A .500 record is horrible in the NHL. Good teams have records well above .500 and bad teams generally have records that teeter around .500. To have a career record around .500 means you have to have far more bad seasons than good. Combine that with the fact that in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, he’s made the playoffs only a third of his seasons coaching, numbers would suggest he’s in fact a pretty bad coach.

I can understand the argument that he’s coached a number of teams with poor talent but at some point, after an insane sample size of mediocre records, the coach has to wear it. Even with a very talented Jets roster, the guy has what, one successful season? It’s enough with the excuses for this guy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually shot-metric wise, Scheifele was our best skater outside of Bourque.

Roslovic was the worst outside of Gustaffson, Suess, and Shaw.

Just sayin. ;)

Good point-I stand corrected.
However, that doesn’t change the fact that Maurice does not hold everyone equally accountable. The bromance is held to a completely different standard.

Just shows the weakness of shot metrics in a 1 game sample. Meaningless.

Reactions: slurpee addict

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Team was collectively bad. Yet even with the overall stink level, Poolman still was noticeably horrible. He needs to be sat. I’d love to see him succeed but he’s so far away from NHL level at the moment that he shouldn’t dress - even with the crowd of AHLers we are currently forced to play. As well, our coach still played the Seuss, Shaw, Gust line in the third period. When they hit the ice at 2-2 with three minutes left in the game I threw up in my mouth, and it validated my already poor opinion of Maurice’s decision processes. His classless comments on Roslovic in the presser wasn’t necessary. It accomplished exactly nothing. As a group they stunk. Why make a comment at all about one guy. Clueless.
Hello was a freak. Hopefully he gets some better support in future games.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Team was collectively bad. Yet even with the overall stink level, Poolman still was noticeably horrible. He needs to be sat. I’d love to see him succeed but he’s so far away from NHL level at the moment that he shouldn’t dress - even with the crowd of AHLers we are currently forced to play. As well, our coach still played the Seuss, Shaw, Gust line in the third period. When they hit the ice at 2-2 with three minutes left in the game I threw up in my mouth, and it validated my already poor opinion of Maurice’s decision processes. His classless comments on Roslovic in the presser wasn’t necessary. It accomplished exactly nothing. As a group they stunk. Why make a comment at all about one guy. Clueless.
Hello was a freak. Hopefully he gets some better support in future games.
"
Just listen to his presser, and to considered his comments classless is laughable, unless you are an ultra sensitive human being. The over dramatics on here is so comical.

He played a 4rth line in the third. This is your reasoning for being so critical on a game we won? SMH

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Good to see Hellebuyck heating up, as well as Ehlers
I wonder where Laine fits when he's back if Roslovic stays hot
Could always demoted KC or Wheeler to the third line but those seem very unlikely

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
We should all be more like Helly. He doesn't get upset with himself when they loss and he gives others credit when he wins. I'll take the two lousy games he's given us in exchange for all the magnificent games as well.
Totally agree.
Helle always stays positive even if he has a bad game ... he is misunderstood and gets bashed on the boards for having this attitude but I love.
Always remember negatively breeds negatively.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
A .500 record is horrible in the NHL. Good teams have records well above .500 and bad teams generally have records that teeter around .500. To have a career record around .500 means you have to have far more bad seasons than good. Combine that with the fact that in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, he’s made the playoffs only a third of his seasons coaching, numbers would suggest he’s in fact a pretty bad coach.

I can understand the argument that he’s coached a number of teams with poor talent but at some point, after an insane sample size of mediocre records, the coach has to wear it. Even with a very talented Jets roster, the guy has what, one successful season? It’s enough with the excuses for this guy.
Toronto is toronto nobody was going to win there . Sad but true He broke in in 95 and for the next 10 years or so he had to coach a team in one of the smallest markets with no salary cap in place. Isnt .500 good when you are up against teams with 5x your payroll. The jets left winnipeg cause they couldn't compete in that kind of environment. Some of these coaches are breaking in at 50 in the salary cap era which means you start at .500 record even on a bad team he started at 29 with no cap in place. How many 29 year olds would have there teams at .500 with no cap in place. If he broke in now at 40 or 50 with a hard cap trust me he wouldnt be at .500. This mess this year by the way is in Chevy not him .

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
"
Just listen to his presser, and to considered his comments classless is laughable, unless you are an ultra sensitive human being. The over dramatics on here is so comical.

He played a 4rth line in the third. This is your reasoning for being so critical on a game we won? SMH
We can disagree on PoMo and we do obviously. I also liked him a lot in his first bunch of years but think our team is different now and he doesn’t fit anymore. I have no issue with a fourth line being played in the third. But let me be clear. They were being thoroughly dominated all game. To put them out for a defensive zone draw at that point in the game when we had a chance to steal a point? Sorry. IMO that’s a terrible decision. Call a time out and rest a better line. Or put out the least tired line of your other three.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Maurice has .524 career, but as he has more losses than wins, I guess he is "under .500 real", as there is that BS thing nowadays in NHL that for OT games there is 3 points to be shared.

He is also 0.450 in playoffs wins-losses.

If you look at the real numbers, with the overtime losses included (they include overtime wins as wins but overtime losses are not losses?) you’ll see that he is closer to .450 than .525. He’s an UNDER 500 coach as you said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad