Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't know how i feel about this "he'd put up better numbers (undoubtably true) and look generational (very possible) if he had a better team. I get it. I think Kaprizov would be considered a top 5 forward in this league now if he had been playing with a legitimate #1C. But he hasn't, and so he isn't.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lol no it won't.

And you can't stop posting things without bringing him down. This while thread is you downplaying him.

This reminds me of the reactions I got from the fanboys on the Canucks board when I compared Cody Hodgson to Daymond Langkow.

Again : comparing a player to a future HHOF with scoring titles on his resume is not 'bringing him down'. Criticizing the defensive play of a poor defensive player is legitimate criticism.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard and McDavid were granted exceptional status. And Bedard bettered McDavid's junior numbers. But we can call it a wash if you want. This is what separates Bedard from Patrick Kane. I thought it went without saying but apparently it needs to be said.
And Kane out produced Bedard's junior numbers. It's almost like junior hockey is different than the NHL.

Bedard was a generational junior hockey player, but it's very clear that he will not be a generational NHL player.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
And Kane out produced Bedard's junior numbers. It's almost like junior hockey is different than the NHL.

Bedard was a generational junior hockey player, but it's very clear that he will not be a generational NHL player.

Kane and Bedard had virtually identical points totals and points per game averages in their draft seasons. Bedard's ES points dwarfed Kane's (more than half of Kane's points came on the PP compared to less than a third of Bedard's). And Bedard was eight months younger.

It's not a situation, taken in any kind of context, where the numbers said that these were comparable junior players. Kane was not a generational junior player; Crosby, McDavid and Bedard were clearly above him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You’re just doubling down because you made a bit of a mess of yourself in the Calder thread calling Faber better

Bringing up a guy who was born in 1965 when we’re only a couple months from 2025 is truly something else :laugh:

I guess my point went right over your head, so I guess I need to dumb it down for you. I put very little stock in junior scoring as it pertains to how good of a career a player will have. Bedard will be a great player....but he's not going to be thought of like a McDavid or Crosby.

And Faber did have a better rookie season, but playing the last 2 months of the season with broken ribs and the preseason hype surrounding Bedard likely cost him the Calder.

Crow

May 19, 2014
He could easily be on crosby’s level trophy case wise or even pass him. He’s already ahead.

McDavid level is probably a bit too high a bar.

To me he is like Kane like some said, but with a better shot in a higher scoring era. He is already kanes size and may fill out more.

Focusing on his defense going forward from his rookie year is just silliness.

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
It is as serious as saying Bedard projects to be no better than Patrick Kane.

Can you show one scouting report that suggests Bedard is a defensive liability ?
What would you trade for dumais given junior numbers........ no, not comparable players but your argument so stupidly shortsighted.
I know you're a troll, but I couldn't help it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

They actually had identical PPG

Kane was a year older

Kane played on one of the most dominant junior lines in the modern era.

But sure.

I guess my point went right over your head, so I guess I need to dumb it down for you. I put very little stock in junior scoring as it pertains to how good of a career a player will have. Bedard will be a great player....but he's not going to be thought of like a McDavid or Crosby.

And Faber did have a better rookie season, but playing the last 2 months of the season with broken ribs and the preseason hype surrounding Bedard likely cost him the Calder.
Or being a worse player cost him the Calder.

We get you have a good D, congrats.

He was in no way shape or form better than Bedard.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Connor Bedard was hyped at the retail level in his daft year. And was compared to Mcdavid or Crosby. But as his first year came and went , the hardcore fans and analysts were not as onboard with it anymore.

Something changed. We even have some fans trying to upsell Jack Hughs and Logan Cooley on him.

Now it's not considered serious to compare him to Mcdavid or Crosby. Why is this ?

..dude. It’s been one f***ing season.

Reactions: PainForShane

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
No, he's just not Connor McDavid or Crosby and he won't ever be at that level. He's still an elite talent and will be a superstar.
Bedard was an exceptional status player just like McDavid. And put up equal/better numbers in junior on worse teams. But whatever you say; that's what receipts are for.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Who's doing CIBC commercials today ? Bedard and McDavid.

Who are the first 2 players featured in the new NHL ads ? Bedard and McDavid.

This is what I meant when I said retail level. In that sense, he is considered very much on the same level as McDavid. Just younger.

Here's the new NHL ad. (Jack Hughs fans will be thrilled to know that he made the cut)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Who's doing CIBC commercials today ? Bedard and McDavid.
Who are the first 2 players featured in the new NHL ads ? Bedard and McDavid.
This is what I meant when I said retail level. In that sense, he is considered very much on the same level as McDavid. Just younger.
Toews was also heavily marketed, doesn't make him generational.
He could easily be on crosby’s level trophy case wise or even pass him. He’s already ahead.
You mean that Bedard with his 61 points and -44 has a Calder and Crosby with his 6th highest scoring rookie season ever doesn't? I kinda doubt that plays in Bedard's favor.

Bedard is adequately rated right now, as a promising player and a rising star. Expecting him to torch the league at 18 proved to be a bit too much. It's OK.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They actually had identical PPG
Okay good point. I guess they were equal. Just like Kane and McDavid were equal in the OHL while both playing on powerhouse teams.

Kane and Bedard were very similar in that they were "generational" junior hockey scorers who very obviously lacked the size and/or elite athleticism required to be generational NHL players. You could probably lump Tavares into this group as well - these 3 guys were all much better CHL players than guys like Mackinnon or Draisaitl, but if I'm trying to build a cup contender, I'm taking the latter 2 over any of the prior 3. Kariya and Lafontaine are two other great examples of generational junior players who "only" became an elite NHLer because of physical or athletic limitations.

This was explained to you guys over and over again during Bedard's draft year, but you seemed intent on appealing to his numbers instead of his actual play. To be a truly generational NHL prospect, you need more than just generational junior production.

Bedard has since failed to meet even my more modest production expectations for his rookie season (despite constantly cheating for offense), while having a terrible World Championships, where he was demoted from the top line all the way to 13th forward for his poor play. And we're still trying to compare him to the two guys who won NHL scoring titles as teenagers?

I do believe there is a very good chance that Bedard will be better than Kane, they have a lot of similarities and are both big game players. But that's still very much up in the air - Kane's skating and agility were a fair amount better than Bedard, while Bedard's release was obviously better. I also think Bedard probably sees the ice a bit better, but they're both obviously elite playmakers.

Regardless, he's going to be much closer to Kane than to McDavid or Crosby. And that's nothing to be ashamed of.

To this point, Bedard's play vs men has supported my analysis from his draft year, and I've had multiple Bedard supporters from those threads come back and admit that I was actually right all along.

If anything, I was probably too generous in my initial projections, especially relating to his ability to translate his goal scoring to the NHL. I did have some well documented doubts about his ability to get to high danger areas, and questioned how often he'd be able to beat NHL goalies clean with his mid range wrister. But I still thought he'd pace for 40g as a rookie even with minimal support. Unfortunately, he struggled to get to the middle of the ice even more often than I expected. I do think he'll close in on 40g this year if he sticks with TT - its a lot easier to get open looks in the mid slot when you're receiving a pass instead of trying to skate it there.

Just curious, when did you come to that determination? Not disagreeing btw
Probably 2-3 years ago, there's receipts in my post history.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The kid is 19 years old. Far too early to tell
It's not at all too early. Did we even have to ask that question of any of the recent big 4 generational forwards when they were teenagers? Absolutely not - it was already very clear that they were on track to be generational players by the time they were 19. The fact is that he's very clearly not tracking anywhere near those 4, and the "it's too early to tell" logic falls apart when we've never seen a generational NHL forward make the sort of massive course correction he'd need to make to catch up.

I'm referring to Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, and McDavid, if that wasn't clear.

Reactions: MuckOG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Bedard was an exceptional status player just like McDavid. And put up equal/better numbers in junior on worse teams. But whatever you say; that's what receipts are for.

Which really doesn't matter. We don't attach the "generational" tag on an NHL player because of what they did in juniors. It's about what they do in the NHL.

Neither Crosby (20 years) or McDavid (9 years) have EVER had a sub-PPG season in the NHL. Bedard will never match them because he already has a sub-PPG season.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Toews was also heavily marketed, doesn't make him generational.

You mean that Bedard with his 61 points and -44 has a Calder and Crosby with his 6th highest scoring rookie season ever doesn't? I kinda doubt that plays in Bedard's favor.

Bedard is adequately rated right now, as a promising player and a rising star. Expecting him to torch the league at 18 proved to be a bit too much. It's OK.

Did you say the same about Mcdavid after his first season ?

Just because he's assumed to be generational , doesn't mean he was supposed to "torch the league" at 18 years old.

Crosby topped out at 120 points in his second year.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Which really doesn't matter. We don't attach the "generational" tag on an NHL player because of what they did in juniors. It's about what they do in the NHL.

Neither Crosby (20 years) or McDavid (9 years) have EVER had a sub-PPG season in the NHL. Bedard will never match them because he already has a sub-PPG season.
Mcdavid and Crosby were called Generational in juniors, heck crosby was getting that talk before he even played with rimouski.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Did you say the same about Mcdavid after his first season ?

Just because he's assumed to be generational , doesn't mean he was supposed to "torch the league" at 18 years old.

Crosby topped out at 120 points in his second year.

Name a "generational" player who didn't torch the league at 18 years old.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
It's not at all too early. Did we even have to ask that question of any of the recent big 4 generational forwards when they were teenagers? Absolutely not - it was already very clear that they were on track to be generational players by the time they were 19. The fact is that he's very clearly not tracking anywhere near those 4,.
No. Thats what makes Bedard underrated right now.

Just because your ilk has started this doubt around him doesn't mean you are right.

What is he even talking about , the +/- ?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Oh we do. We totally do. Crosby and Mcdavid were considered HOFers before they played an NHL game.

But at least we know your reasoning. He didn't make PPG on a tanked out team that had historically significant injuries. While he broke his jaw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad