Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah, still has tons of room to grow, 3rd youngest player in the NHL. McDavids rookie season wasn't some spectacular season either. Not saying he will become that, but i'm not sure what his rookie season even tells us in the long term.
The whole point was in response to a poster saying nobody actually expected him to be on Sid or McDavid's level.

He absolutely was/is.

Edit: Apologies, you weren't the poster I quoted.

Reactions: Brookbank

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The whole point was in response to you saying nobody actually expected him to be on Sid or McDavid's level.

He absolutely was/is.
I didnt say anything like that, I said the only people expecting him to be a 90+pt scorer in his rookie season didn't realize who his teammates were.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Cliff Ronning had "generational" junior numbers.

His career will end up no where near Crosby or McDavid. He should be an elite player, but not "generational". I just don't think he has the build for it.

Ray Ferraro too
He gets asked about CHL stats with current prospects and potentially breaking a few records that he has and he says always take CHL with a grain of salt.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I don't like the Hawks as much as anyone but Bedard is being dismissed as an all time prospect. It's an easy decision who I'd want out of Hughes Cooley and Bedard.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I didnt say anything like that, I said the only people expecting him to be a 90+pt scorer in his rookie season didn't realize who his teammates were.
Yeah you weren't the one I initially responded to who said he wasn't expected to be on the same level as those guys.

Point was, he is.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And the fact that people think it's an insult to compare Bedard to a 1st ballot HHOFer shows how overrated Bedard actually is.
I think he will be Kane offensively, but better than Kane defensively. Kane never cared about that aspect of his game, even though he said he did. Bedard more than cares.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Connor Bedard was hyped at the retail level in his daft year. And was compared to Mcdavid or Crosby. But as his first year came and went , the hardcore fans and analysts were not as onboard with it anymore.

Something changed. We even have some fans trying to upsell Jack Hughs and Logan Cooley on him.

Now it's not considered serious to compare him to Mcdavid or Crosby. Why is this ?
Are you Mulletman?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't like the Hawks as much as anyone but Bedard is being dismissed as an all time prospect. It's an easy decision who I'd want out of Hughes Cooley and Bedard.

I'd want Bedard over Cooley and Hughes also, but that doesn't equate to him being "generational".

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Rookie Bedard was eight months younger than rookie Kane.

Rookie Bedard played on a team that scored a paltry 179 goals; rookie Kane's team scored 239 goals.

Nonetheless, rookie Bedard had a slightly higher points-per-game advantage and a more significant ES points per game advantage over rookie Kane.

Bedard has always been better than Kane was at the same age and there's no reason to believe that he won't continue to be better as his career progresses. I don't agree with any of this talk that Kane is his ceiling. Kane is his floor.

Probably have to balance this with league scoring levels but all in all I believe it’s not unreasonable to expect a Kane level player if not slightly better. At the same time Kane had a fairly dominant Art Ross win and something insane like 50 points in 36 elimination games in the playoffs accompanied by 3 Cups which would be a tall order even for prospects on Bedard’s level, and that’s assuming the Blackhawks can get there again in his career.

And the fact that people think it's an insult to compare Bedard to a 1st ballot HHOFer shows how overrated Bedard actually is.

A player who at his best rivals players like Bure and Dastyuk, close to top 10 talents anyone under 40 has seen in their lifetime.

Reactions: MuckOG

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Kane is a lower tier than Kucherov for peak, prime, playoffs, all-time listing etc

Bedards best case comparison is is Kucherov a guy 1 or 2 seasons away from being top 20-30 all time

Kane wasnt consistent enough early on and Bedard should be a better defensive player then kane was.

Kucherov is his max ceiling

Kane is his expected ceiling

Kariya (based off injuries not what he should have become if healthy) is a disapointment ceiling

Anything less than Kariya player all time and he isnt even a franchise 1OA pick (he would be a generational player if he reaches kucherov level in a year or two)

He wont be a Crosby/OV/Mcdavid level player all time

Wait what? What makes you think that? Bedard has pretty much always been known as all offense all the time. Scouts described his defensive responsibilities for the Pats as essentially essentially a winger's and nothing in Chicago has made an effort towards changing that yet

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Having to play with Mikheyev is the equivalent of getting sent to the wall in game of thrones

Mikheyev looked completely lost for 2 periods last night.
In the 3rd he actually showed some jump and got a few pucks toward the net.

Hopefully he figures it out, but not on Bedard's line.

Bedard-Teravainen-Foligno looked half-decent when they were together.

Reactions: Regal and Bgav

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The whole point was in response to a poster saying nobody actually expected him to be on Sid or McDavid's level.

He absolutely was/is.

Edit: Apologies, you weren't the poster I quoted.
I was that poster you quoted.

This is TSN last year saying Bedard would rank 3rd (behind Crosby and McDavid) for best 1st overalls over the last 20 years.

Plenty of other media said something similar. Some said he was the best prospect since McDavid (not that he was as good as McDavid). Most, maybe not all, felt that McDavid's size and speed would translate better than Bedard's attributes (playmaking/shot), which is a big reason he was considered a slight step down from McJesus.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
People are conflating day of draft hype with NHL play.

If you said on draft day 2015 that McDavid would finish top 2 in points 7 times people would laugh you out of the room as far too optimistic. Expectations were sky high, highest since Crosby, but defacto 5th all time was not the expectation.

2 maybe 3 Art Rosses was a reasonable guess in 2015. I think we can accept McDavid exceeded it.

Crosby's hype was a bit higher, partially due to the lockout year.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Crosby was the most hyped prospect of the past 35 years, and has lived up to it.
The Crosby hype was the highest I've ever seen. CHL MVP at 16. Point separation not seen since Lemieux. 2.5 PPG in the Q playoffs.

There was definitely some hype about him being better than Gretzky, which was obviously wrong. But he did turn into a slam dunk top 10 all time player so the general hype turned out correct.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad