Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't know how i feel about this "he'd put up better numbers (undoubtably true) and look generational (very possible) if he had a better team. I get it. I think Kaprizov would be considered a top 5 forward in this league now if he had been playing with a legitimate #1C. But he hasn't, and so he isn't.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lol no it won't.

And you can't stop posting things without bringing him down. This while thread is you downplaying him.

This reminds me of the reactions I got from the fanboys on the Canucks board when I compared Cody Hodgson to Daymond Langkow.

Again : comparing a player to a future HHOF with scoring titles on his resume is not 'bringing him down'. Criticizing the defensive play of a poor defensive player is legitimate criticism.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard and McDavid were granted exceptional status. And Bedard bettered McDavid's junior numbers. But we can call it a wash if you want. This is what separates Bedard from Patrick Kane. I thought it went without saying but apparently it needs to be said.
And Kane out produced Bedard's junior numbers. It's almost like junior hockey is different than the NHL.

Bedard was a generational junior hockey player, but it's very clear that he will not be a generational NHL player.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
And Kane out produced Bedard's junior numbers. It's almost like junior hockey is different than the NHL.

Bedard was a generational junior hockey player, but it's very clear that he will not be a generational NHL player.

Kane and Bedard had virtually identical points totals and points per game averages in their draft seasons. Bedard's ES points dwarfed Kane's (more than half of Kane's points came on the PP compared to less than a third of Bedard's). And Bedard was eight months younger.

It's not a situation, taken in any kind of context, where the numbers said that these were comparable junior players. Kane was not a generational junior player; Crosby, McDavid and Bedard were clearly above him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You’re just doubling down because you made a bit of a mess of yourself in the Calder thread calling Faber better

Bringing up a guy who was born in 1965 when we’re only a couple months from 2025 is truly something else :laugh:

I guess my point went right over your head, so I guess I need to dumb it down for you. I put very little stock in junior scoring as it pertains to how good of a career a player will have. Bedard will be a great player....but he's not going to be thought of like a McDavid or Crosby.

And Faber did have a better rookie season, but playing the last 2 months of the season with broken ribs and the preseason hype surrounding Bedard likely cost him the Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad