Value of: Hartnell to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Terrible proposal for the Leafs. I can see why Columbus is happy with Hartnell but ask yourself if you didn't have Hartnell would you trade actual assets to acquire him over another younger player?

As for the Leafs they have plenty of veterans including Bozak who you want to throw away for nothing. The Leafs are probably bottom 5 this year and if we are lucky a bubble team the year after that. Why bring someone in on the hopes that he can mentor the young players even though there will be little success.

The Leafs should be avoiding trades over the next year or so until we know what we have with some of these prospects. And if we do some trades they should be to address actual team needs such as a top 4 defenseman not some imaginary mentoring project that may in fact have the opposite effect by taking up a roster spot for a younger player to get some actual playing time.

Yes I do want to throw away Milan Michleak because he's done, this team needs good vets not garage

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hartnell is a cap dump if anyone was interested. CBJ desperately need to shed cap and would have given him away for free if there was a taker.

There's always one.

Hartnell had more points than any player on the Toronto roster last year, on a team that was, for the most part, just as bad. So, even if that's ALL you thought Hartnell brought to the table, im.not sure how you could classify him as a cap dump.

Factor in his presence in the locker room, his postive rapport with teammates and fans, and his community work, and he easily has value. Especially for a team as young as the leafs, who could use someone to help.mentor all the young kids they'll be bringing up.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Look, I love Hartnell and it sounds like he's a great fit in Columbus.

The Leafs are in transition. They already have their core vets to bring on the kids, and some extra vets to fill out the roster. They have more than enough vets already and will soon have to clear some to give the younger player room to play.

I have no idea why anyone would think this is a good move for the Leafs. It goes in the opposite direction.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Not true at all. Thanks for trying though.

Agreed just don't see the Leafs being interested in giving up unknown assets to procure a mentor when they have very little space as it is to play some of the kids.

buttman*

Not true at all. Thanks for trying though.

Try? Here's plenty of proof.

Apparently there are many that disagree with you:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...-draft-looms-but-so-do-salary-cap-issues.html

"The Jackets have been dangling veteran forward Scott Hartnell on the trade market. Even though Hartnell remains productive, with more goals (51) than any other Blue Jacket during his two-season tenure, his salary demands and the no-movement clause in his contact, with an expansion draft looming, make him a tough sell."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/r...could-be-dealt-to-open-cap-space-in-columbus/

"The Jackets attempted to trade left wing Scott Hartnell and defenseman Fedor Tyutin before this season’s trade deadline. It’s expected they’ll peddle both players again.
Hartnell has reportedly agreed to waive his no-movement clause and provided the Jackets with a list of several preferred destinations. If the Jackets fail to find any takers for Tyutin, he could be bought out by month’s end."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/s...eal-creates-pickle-for-blue-jackets-and-jets/

?Scott Hartnell has waived his no-trade clause and, as the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle reports, the Jackets are willing to retain salary in trades?

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-columbus-blue-jackets-1.483552

"John Tortorella made Hartnell a healthy scratch and Hartnell’s name was prominent in trade rumours leading up to the deadline."

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/744966199021273088?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

"CBJ continues to listen to interest in #3 pick, however, sources say CBJ would like to attach a contract, (Hartnell) for cap space...1/2"

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/10...relief-in-potential-trade-involving-no-3-pick

"The Columbus Blue Jackets are listening to offers for the No. 3 pick, and TSN's Darren Dreger reports the team would like to attach a long-term contract to the draft choice to provide cap relief - which will be needed to sign restricted free-agent defenseman Seth Jones to an extension. Dreger suggests forward Scott Hartnell and his contract could be the asking price."

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/8/30/12502974/why-your-team-sucks-columbus-blue-jackets

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Might as well go ahead and lock this one up. Jeesh.

EDIT: Actually I did just look at these. You should listen to your own advice, BUTTMAN.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why don't you read them. Why bother replying if you are not going to "try" at all.

Probably because he, along with the rest of us Jackets fans, did read them back when they were published and still relevant.

You may have noticed, for example, that one of the consistent themes in our rebuttals here has been that he was indeed being offered at a discount in June. You may also notice that all of those articles were published in June. Things have changed since.

You'll also note that not a single one of those articles describes him as a "cap dump", or that he would be "given away for free".

EDIT: Pardon my inaccuracy. One of those articles was published in late May, not June. Mea culpa, I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
We're these before or after release of Boll and Tyutin and the signing of Jones?

Why don't you read them. Why bother replying if you are not going to "try" at all.

Because he's a nice guy.

He knows the answer, he was trying to get you to acknowledge you posted old links and that the situation changed, without making fun of your post.

I on the other hand have no problem pointing out the laziness in your post. Shall I post things about the Leafs from when Burke and Nonis were the GMs? It's just as topical.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I posted this in another Hartnell thread yesterday concerning a trade with the Leafs:

I don't think the Jackets would really be interested in adding Kadri or Bozak, it's really just more of the same for us. I also don't think the Leafs would be interested in moving Nylander, but if they were, I'd be more than interested in adding to Hartnell.

The Leafs are short on high end defensive prospects, right? I'm not suggesting Werenski here, because he's obviously way too important to the structure of Columbus' blue line going forward, but would there be any interest in Gabriel Carlsson? He is projected to make a push for an NHL spot next season. Big, stay at home LHD.

Just gauging value, would Hartnell + Carlsson and a pick (2nd?) be enough to land Nylander? We can take back a short term cap dump in return, like Greening or Michalek.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just gauging value, would Hartnell + Carlsson and a pick (2nd?) be enough to land Nylander? We can take back a short term cap dump in return, like Greening or Michalek.

Ha! No. We'd have to throw in Oliver Bjorkstrand in on top of all of that.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I posted this in another Hartnell thread yesterday concerning a trade with the Leafs:

I don't think the Jackets would really be interested in adding Kadri or Bozak, it's really just more of the same for us. I also don't think the Leafs would be interested in moving Nylander, but if they were, I'd be more than interested in adding to Hartnell.

The Leafs are short on high end defensive prospects, right? I'm not suggesting Werenski here, because he's obviously way too important to the structure of Columbus' blue line going forward, but would there be any interest in Gabriel Carlsson? He is projected to make a push for an NHL spot next season. Big, stay at home LHD.

Why in the world would the Leafs trade Nylander for Hartnell and good but not great prospects?

This would be like them offering Bozak and Dermott for Werenski.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Didn't Hartnell and Umberger essentially just do a 1 for 1 swap? Umberger, who was just bought out by the Flyers. That Umberger for Hartnell.

No, that was two years ago. Hartnell has had 110 pts since then (more than anyone on the Leafs), and a higher scoring rate than any Flyer. Umberger has had 30 pts and is unemployable.

That trade is as one-sided as it gets, it's not a good gauge of value.

So Fredrik Gauthier then? he fits what you describe and I'd probably do it.

He's the right player type, and it would be good value to my mind if he's just a good 3C. I haven't followed him closely, I just know he's tumbled down the rankings for some reason - if he's still a good bottom six F I'd do it.

buttman*

I don't know why I am bothering, but that was before the Boll and Tyutin buyouts. We no longer need to trade him for cap reasons.

Nobody wanted him then. Nobody wants him now. 3 years left and a no movement clause while being 34 years old. He's untradeable.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Honestly no fair deal would get Nylander out of Toronto. He's viewed as a piece of our future core and further more he is a center which the Leafs like.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Nobody wanted him then. Nobody wants him now. 3 years left and a no movement clause while being 34 years old. He's untradeable.

Maybe you have some more irrelevant articles you could link us to in order to prove that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No interest from the Leafs, even Lupul for Hartnell wouldn't work due to the extra year on Hartnell.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You don't know the parameters of the June trade discussions, so you should probably buttout buttman. :laugh: For all you know, Jarmo was asking for a serious return.

Also consider how much Hartnell would get in UFA if he was just on the market. I'm guessing 3 x $5m if not more. He's been just as productive as Ladd, Okposo, etc..

buttman*

You don't know the parameters of the June trade discussions, so you should probably buttout buttman. :laugh: For all you know, Jarmo was asking for a serious return.

Also consider how much Hartnell would get in UFA if he was just on the market. I'm guessing 3 x $5m if not more. He's been just as productive as Ladd, Okposo, etc..

He was offering the 3rd overall and wanted to bundle Hartnell in. That says it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad