Value of: Hartnell to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Another great trade suggestion by a Leaf fan. Sigh.

The Leafs are REBUILDING. They are in NO position to be trading away valuable assets, for older veterans. A guy like Hartnell would cost a very good prospect or a high pick or two.

Therefore it would be DUMB of the Leafs to do it.

Please stop it, Leaf fans.

Didn't Hartnell and Umberger essentially just do a 1 for 1 swap? Umberger, who was just bought out by the Flyers. That Umberger for Hartnell.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
They just traded for a 27 year old goalie, uncle Lou wants to make a run at the playoffs.

A 27 year old for a Goalie who really hasn't been thrown in the 1A role is still a baby. Lou wants to make this a competitive team for years to come and to try and get a SC, Hartnell does nothing for that other than cost us valuable assets and space developing our own.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Even "rebuilding" teams need Veteran talent and I don't mean Milian Michalek because lets be honest he's done. I mean effective Veteran talent guys that can contribute.

Hartnell would fit the bill you cannot have a bunch of kids on a team it doesn't work, you become the Oilers, nobody wants that.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Leafs have no interest in Hartnell - Lou wants younger and more skilled; Babcock wants more dedicated and faster.

Hartnell is neither, young, fast or dedicated.

What do you mean by this? He works hard and has been a great mentor for younger players. He has a role in Columbus and there is no need to trade him. Just wondering where the "not dedicated" implication comes from. Not the best skater (but not a liability either) and certainly not fast (but his vision and skill set make up for that).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even "rebuilding" teams need Veteran talent and I don't mean Milian Michalek because lets be honest he's done. I mean effective Veteran talent guys that can contribute.

Hartnell would fit the bill you cannot have a bunch of kids on a team it doesn't work, you become the Oilers, nobody wants that.

Sure he would fit the bill as would many other players. You don't need to throw assets away to fill that role though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sure he would fit the bill as would many other players. You don't need to throw assets away to fill that role though.

Depends on the asset, I saw a jackets fan in here earlier saying they'd do it a Leaf prospect ranked between 10-20

If that's the price that's basically nothing especially if the exspansion draft takes place after the NHL draft when a lot of the guys ranked between 10-20 will have been replaced.

Toronto has the best prospect pool in the NHL we can't keep them all there are to many and there is more coming because it doesn't matter if they are in a playoff spot or not guys like Michalek Polak Greening are gone at thedeadline

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Leafs have no interest in Hartnell - Lou wants younger and more skilled; Babcock wants more dedicated and faster.

Hartnell is neither, young, fast or dedicated.

Well, you got two out of three right, and that's not bad. ;) He's not young and he's never been fast. Babcock's done good things with not-so-speedy players before, but I dunno how many of those he already has to deal with on the roster.

* * *​
Didn't Hartnell and Umberger essentially just do a 1 for 1 swap? Umberger, who was just bought out by the Flyers. That Umberger for Hartnell.

Yep. And everyone and their little brother recognized that Philly got fleeced hard in that deal, because they were in a rough situation w/r/t the cap and overreacted. We're not repeating that mistake.

* * *​
Depends on the asset, I saw a jackets fan in here earlier saying they'd do it a Leaf prospect ranked between 10-20

Yeah, but that's with us not taking on any salary. It's a straight up "you're taking on cap, have fun" move, and that's going to make LTIR juggling a bit difficult. The Leafs can ultimately afford it (Horton alone covers it, let alone Robidas), but I'm not sure how palatable that would be.

(Also, I'm not sure I agree with major major on that proposal - I'd want slightly higher quality - but, meh.)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If that's the price that's basically nothing especially if the exspansion draft takes place after the NHL draft when a lot of the guys ranked between 10-20 will have been replaced.

Toronto has the best prospect pool in the NHL we can't keep them all there are to many and there is more coming because it doesn't matter if they are in a playoff spot or not guys like Michalek Polak Greening are gone at thedeadline

Sounds like you want to spend for the sake of spending. Spend the assets in a meaningful way then, don't throw them away.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, you got two out of three right, and that's not bad. ;) He's not young and he's never been fast. Babcock's done good things with not-so-speedy players before, but I dunno how many of those he already has to deal with on the roster.

* * *​

Yep. And everyone and their little brother recognized that Philly got fleeced hard in that deal, because they were in a rough situation w/r/t the cap and overreacted. We're not repeating that mistake.

* * *​

Yeah, but that's with us not taking on any salary. It's a straight up "you're taking on cap, have fun" move, and that's going to make LTIR juggling a bit difficult. The Leafs can ultimately afford it (Horton alone covers it, let alone Robidas), but I'm not sure how palatable that would be.

(Also, I'm not sure I agree with major major on that proposal - I'd want slightly higher quality - but, meh.)

Ideally this deal takes place next summer when we have close to 25 million coming off the books and that doesn't nclude Bozak who I think will be exposed and claimed IF he's not traded this season which would bring it to 29 million or close to it and that's without a rise in the cap.

So we could easily take his cap hit.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Please keep in mind that the Jackets aren't asking anyone to take Hartnell. Most Columbus fans want to keep him. The return has to make sense to both teams. A big young C under 24 or a pick that gets one is about all that makes sense from a Columbus perspective.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Please keep in mind that the Jackets aren't asking anyone to take Hartnell. Most Columbus fans want to keep him. The return has to make sense to both teams. A big young C under 24 or a pick that gets one is about all that makes sense from a Columbus perspective.

So Fredrik Gauthier then? he fits what you describe and I'd probably do it.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010

I agree and think Hartnell would be a good fit with the young Leafs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Touche' I neglected to say their potential needs to be higher than a checking line.

Maybe Zach Hyman?

Hyman's potential is similar to Gauthier's, though he looks more likely to reach it. Hyman isn't going to be confused with a top 6 player at any point in his career, scores well enough but always from within 10 feet and usually on rebounds

buttman*

Hartnell is a cap dump if anyone was interested. CBJ desperately need to shed cap and would have given him away for free if there was a taker.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Hartnell is a cap dump if anyone was interested. CBJ desperately need to shed cap and would have given him away for free if there was a taker.

Welcome, newcomer. Now please, just go.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
A 27 year old for a Goalie who really hasn't been thrown in the 1A role is still a baby. Lou wants to make this a competitive team for years to come and to try and get a SC, Hartnell does nothing for that other than cost us valuable assets and space developing our own.

Need good veterans for the younger guys, can't just throw out a bunch of kids in a big hockey market and have them deal with all the pressure themselves.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Terrible proposal for the Leafs. I can see why Columbus is happy with Hartnell but ask yourself if you didn't have Hartnell would you trade actual assets to acquire him over another younger player?

As for the Leafs they have plenty of veterans including Bozak who you want to throw away for nothing. The Leafs are probably bottom 5 this year and if we are lucky a bubble team the year after that. Why bring someone in on the hopes that he can mentor the young players even though there will be little success.

The Leafs should be avoiding trades over the next year or so until we know what we have with some of these prospects. And if we do some trades they should be to address actual team needs such as a top 4 defenseman not some imaginary mentoring project that may in fact have the opposite effect by taking up a roster spot for a younger player to get some actual playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad