Value of: Hartnell to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick and Andersen aren't actually forwards and don't come under the seven-player protection pool for forwards, so I would protect Bozak in the forwards pool over all of them.

Rielly and Gardiner I would protect in the defencemen category. Not so sure about Carrick. It could Marincin or another player yet to be acquired.

Andersen I would protect in the one-player goalie category, unless he turns out to be a complete dud. Then I don't know what I would do.

The "which player would you protect Bozak over" is really one of the dumbest questions I've seen on these boards in quite some time, and that covers a lot of ground.

I am fairly certain you can only protect 8 skaters

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I am fairly certain you can only protect 8 skaters

You can either protect 7 forwards 3 dmen and 1 goalie

Or 8 skaters and 1 goalie
Skaters being forward or defense so you could protect 4 or 5 dmen if you wanted.

Because Vegas can only take 1 player it's more about the quality of player that is left exposed than quantity so if your 4th best dmen is more valuable than your 5th best forward you probably protect 8.

While if your 5th best forward is more valuable to you than your 4th best defensman you protect 7 and 3.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You can either protect 7 forwards 3 dmen and 1 goalie

Or 8 skaters and 1 goalie
Skaters being forward or defense so you could protect 4 or 5 dmen if you wanted.

Because Vegas can only take 1 player it's more about the quality of player that is left exposed than quantity so if your 4th best dmen is more valuable than your 5th best forward you probably protect 8.

While if your 5th best forward is more valuable to you than your 4th best defensman you protect 7 and 3.

I see us protecting 8 skaters and a goalie I dont think we have 10 skaters worth protecting.

JVR
Komarov
Kadri
Rielly
Gardiner
C Carrick
Horton due to NMC

Maybe Marincin but I doubt it

Obviously Andersen

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I see us protecting 8 skaters and a goalie I dont think we have 10 skaters worth protecting.

JVR
Komarov
Kadri
Rielly
Gardiner
C Carrick
Horton due to NMC

Maybe Marincin but I doubt it

Obviously Andersen
Horton's NMC expires after this year so he doesn't need to be protected.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I was unaware of this, I thought his NMC lasted for the duration of his contract like Clarkson's

But it doesn't so that's awesome not that it matters because vegas won't claim him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
See that's the thing though, you said it yourself, useless veterans Hartnell isn't useless

Guys like Maichleak Greening Polak Hunwick are

How is Hartnell any better at leadership than the vets the Leafs already have?

I just don't get the need to trade assets for him. There are always good dressing room guys available every year in free agency.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I just don't get the need to trade assets for him. There are always good dressing room guys available every year in free agency.

I think he wants the Leafs to score more goals.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Well you see the objective in hockey is to score more goals than the other team and Scott Hartnell will in all likelihood score more goals than Michleak. Polak, Greening and Hunwick combined and for Greening plays like he did last year I'd happily bring him back.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
realistically the leafs only consider taking hartnell and his term/NMC if he comes dirt cheap.

Columbus is better off holding onto him and hope a desperate team bites at the deadline

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

uggghhh he is leaving guys like leipsic,Rychel and connor brown exposed.
0% chance leafs go the 8 skater route.

JVR,Kadri,Bozak,Komarov,Brown,Leipsic, Rychel
Gardiner,Rielly,Carrick
Andersen

exposed: Lupul, Holland, Leivo, Martin
Marincin, Corrado, Sparks,Bibeau

Marincin probably the best of the bunch, but with all the top 4 dman available Vegas may just grab a young forward like Leivo or a grinder like martin

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
realistically the leafs only consider taking hartnell and his term/NMC if he comes dirt cheap.

Columbus is better off holding onto him and hope a desperate team bites at the deadline

Thing is I think he would come cheap, now my idea of cheap and your idea of cheap might differ but I don't think it would be expensive

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Thing is I think he would come cheap, now my idea of cheap and your idea of cheap might differ but I don't think it would be expensive
He would be had for high B non ready prospects and picks. No roster player because the only reason we move him is to make room for our own guys. There is 0 reason for us to trade him. People are afraid of the NMC but if he produces like a top 7 forward on your team you protect him anyways... the whole point of the game is to score goals and win... why give up first line production and a guy who has been amazing for our development and leadership of our team since he has been here.

The NMC is irrelevant if the player is good. If it was Patrick Kane do you say but but but NMC can't take him!!!!!!111!!!!1 no you dont. Obviously that's the extreme example and Hartnell in his prime playing over his head isn't even Kane but the point is we are fine with him on the team and totally ok with his NMC.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He would be had for high B non ready prospects and picks. No roster player because the only reason we move him is to make room for our own guys. There is 0 reason for us to trade him. People are afraid of the NMC but if he produces like a top 7 forward on your team you protect him anyways... the whole point of the game is to score goals and win... why give up first line production and a guy who has been amazing for our development and leadership of our team since he has been here.

The NMC is irrelevant if the player is good. If it was Patrick Kane do you say but but but NMC can't take him!!!!!!111!!!!1 no you dont. Obviously that's the extreme example and Hartnell in his prime playing over his head isn't even Kane but the point is we are fine with him on the team and totally ok with his NMC.

Fredrik Gauthier the bill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad