Confirmed with Link: Hanifin signs ELC

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
trying is dumb

except at work where you should always try really hard and strive to do a good job always

become a vital cog in the corporate machine

other than that trying is dumb everyone stop trying

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Why can players actually be sent back to the CHL but not back to the NCAA? Who invented those rules and what's the idea behind it?

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Because the NCAA doesn't allow players to be paid athletes.

Based on your Switzerland flag, I'm guessing you're not familiar with the NCAA system. If you are, just ignore everything I'm about to say.

NCAA stands for National Collegiate Athletic Association; they're the organization that oversees most of the sports activities between basically all of the universities in the US. Their highest and most inviolable tenet is that all student athletes must be amateurs. If a student athlete has ever received any compensation in connection with their athletic activities, they're no longer eligible to play in any NCAA-sanctioned event, which effectively disqualifies them from playing college sports.

In the context of this discussion, compensation means money, but they can interpret it to mean any damn thing they want, including gifts, meals, and so on. One girl even got in trouble for washing her car with water from a university hose. They're a little overzealous, and everyone has an opinion on the validity of the NCAA rules in today's sporting landscape, but those are the rules of the road and that's why he can't play for Boston College now that he's signed a contract.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Based on your Switzerland flag, I'm guessing you're not familiar with the NCAA system. If you are, just ignore everything I'm about to say.

NCAA stands for National Collegiate Athletic Association; they're the organization that oversees most of the sports activities between basically all of the universities in the US. Their highest and most inviolable tenet is that all student athletes must be amateurs. If a student athlete has ever received any compensation in connection with their athletic activities, they're no longer eligible to play in any NCAA-sanctioned event, which effectively disqualifies them from playing college sports.

In the context of this discussion, compensation means money, but they can interpret it to mean any damn thing they want, including gifts, meals, and so on. One girl even got in trouble for washing her car with water from a university hose. They're a little overzealous, and everyone has an opinion on the validity of the NCAA rules in today's sporting landscape, but those are the rules of the road and that's why he can't play for Boston College now that he's signed a contract.

No I wasn't familiar with those things, thanks for the explanation.

But there are still two things I don't get:
1.Why is it like that? Just because it's tradition?
2.How do you earn money as an NCAA player? Are you at least allowed to have a job? For example if you want to go to a restaurant, or buy new shoes, or buy a bus ticket - where do you get the money from?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

2.How do you earn money as an NCAA player? Are you at least allowed to have a job? For example if you want to go to a restaurant, or buy new shoes, or buy a bus ticket - where do you get the money from?

1. It's like that because it allows them to evade worker's compensation laws, and so they can keep all the money for themselves. It's disgusting, exploitative, and dubiously legal, but the NCAA has lots of money and power.
2. You're allowed to work any job you could have gotten without cashing in on being an athlete. Realistically, NCAA athletes are putting in pro hours, and they're required to be full time students as well, so there are not anywhere near enough hours in the day for them to hold a job on top of that. Even when some do choose to hold a job, the simple act of putting their athletic experience on a resume has resulted in accusations of violations of amateur status because the business provided a benefit to the player for being an athlete.

It's insane, no question about it. But those are the rules as they stand.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
College prospects who want to attend development camps must pay their own way as well.

We had one guy who came out a few years ago, I want to say it was Nick Dodge maybe, and had a bunch of his front teeth knocked out and the team wasn't allowed to help him with the cost of fixing them.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Welcome to the biggest debate in American sports!

NCAA "amateurism" is nonsense, conceived a century ago as a way by college administrators to avoid paying worker's compensation to athletes.

Think of it as the American FIFA and you'll be close.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Another reason is to level the playing field among the different universities. If big dollar universities were able to pay their athletes, there would be far fewer "cinderella stories" of small colleges competing for national titles.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
1. It's like that because it allows them to evade worker's compensation laws, and so they can keep all the money for themselves. It's disgusting, exploitative, and dubiously legal, but the NCAA has lots of money and power.
2. You're allowed to work any job you could have gotten without cashing in on being an athlete. Realistically, NCAA athletes are putting in pro hours, and they're required to be full time students as well, so there are not anywhere near enough hours in the day for them to hold a job on top of that. Even when some do choose to hold a job, the simple act of putting their athletic experience on a resume has resulted in accusations of violations of amateur status because the business provided a benefit to the player for being an athlete.

It's insane, no question about it. But those are the rules as they stand.

But, most good athletes that perform college level sports receive scholarships (free rides) to complete an education that would otherwise cost them about 100K, that non-sporting students have to pay for. Let's not forget that, either.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
But, most good athletes that perform college level sports receive scholarships (free rides) to complete an education that would otherwise cost them about 100K, that non-sporting students have to pay for. Let's not forget that, either.

That's great for the athletes nobody would pay much money to see. The problem is the guys that they are making the millions on usually aren't interested in a degree. In fact, the go to school part is often a forced burden in a moronic system that uses college as a development league.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
That's great for the athletes nobody would pay much money to see. The problem is the guys that they are making the millions on usually aren't interested in a degree. In fact, the go to school part is often a forced burden in a moronic system that uses college as a development league.

For every star QB or RB that should be making "millions", there are a bunch of starters that won't ever play in the NFL. Let's not forget THAT either.

You bring payment of athletes into college sports, on a sliding scale (ie. pay them whatever amount), kiss college sports goodbye.

I'm in favor of a stipend that allows for a little bit of spending money. No more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad