Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not everything is about winning the freaken cup!! I want a winning team through the season and a team that makes the playoffs. Winning the cup is a roll of the dice. All them teams in the playoffs have a chance but you have to make them freaken playoffs to roll the dice!!

We were winning more than losing back then. Ok we didnt win any Stanely Cups but god damn, the games during the season were much more enjoyable to watch!
Dude you do realize the team started it's downward spiral after we got to the ECF. Ask yourself why and you've already answered the question with those two clowns you brought up. One sat on his hands and wouldn't move the weak links to better the team. The other one was a dick who threw some of his best players under the bus. Yeah we ended up moving them instead.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Honestly before that 3rd goal were in the still in the game even after we had a few chances, we hit a couple of post.

There were a few weak play but over all I don’t think anyone was bad…
Slaf actually created a few chances.
Struble also did well, this might be making Savard or Harris available or easier to trade.
That third goal took the wind out of the sails of the team. Until then, despite the score, I thought the Canadiens were matching up well against the Kings. That third goal changed everything.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I liked what we showed in the first half of the game but we were a bit unlucky and then the Kings just smothered us. Pretty much a perfect road game for them, honestly no wonder they've won 11 of them in a row now. They have a really well built roster and a good system, if their goaltending holds up they're going to be a serious cup threat this year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Never watched the game -Thank God! People on Facebook were comparing the King's to Jacques Lemaire 1-3-1 Devils. One fan said going to this game was worst $250 he ever spent. Glad I missed it.

On a positive, the Bruins lost 3-1

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The Kings are dominant in every way. They crushed us at home and crushed us away. They're crushers.

I appreciate the moral victory in "Slafkovsky/Caufield/Suzuki could've picked up a point or two! I swear!" but this is the reason why the Habs are not even pretenders this year. At some point progress has to be progress, not just promises of progress. Thankfully this is yet another throwaway season. Kent Hughes will throw away as many seasons as it takes for him and Gorton to build the softest team in NHL history... but at least they won't play a 1-3-1 trap away from home! Take that, LA Kings!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Like many said, we're just lacking skill big time, Dach not being there shows, Newhook too to some extent. Too bad St-Louis insists on playing Ylonen with AHL players, he ain't great or anything and he's scared of his own shadow, but he has some skills and we've all seen em.

Also, I really hope they start focusing on drafting skilled forwards in the next 2 drafts, and I mean really skilled, I don't care if they suck in their own zone, we need homeruns, not 'safe'. Cause it's pretty bare after Roy and Mesar, and the club will need help from within, it shouldn't have to rely on trades for that.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Like many said, we're just lacking skill big time, Dach not being there shows, Newhook too to some extent. Too bad St-Louis insists on playing Ylonen with AHL players, he ain't great or anything and he's scared of his own shadow, but he has some skills and we've all seen em.

Also, I really hope they start focusing on drafting skilled forwards in the next 2 drafts, and I mean really skilled, I don't care if they suck in their own zone, we need homeruns, not 'safe'. Cause it's pretty bare after Roy and Mesar, and the club will need help from within, it shouldn't have to rely on trades for that.
In your opinion, do you think there were more skilled forwards left on the board at 1OA and and 5OA in 2022 and 2023, respectively?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Marty, why don't you bring in a senior advisor like the Hens added Jacques Martin?

Reply:

CFXKBXh.png

The Napoleon complex myth, known informally as small people syndrome, is a syndrome normally attributed to people of short stature. It is characterized by overly aggressive or domineering social behavior, and carries the implication that such behavior is compensatory for the subject's physical or social shortcomings.

:sarcasm:

This description is totally me.

And I would dump anybody we have now as assistant for J Martin. He was good wih the Pens.

Reactions: Runner77

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Pretty crazy that 29 out of 32 teams have at least one 10 goal scorer, most having two. Habs are one of the three teams without a 10 goal scorer (Sharks and Flames are the other two).

This team has been starved of offensive talent for so long, it’s becoming scary.

They looked pretty good in the first two periods but the lack of finish and mistakes defensively cost the game.

Third period was all Kings, they play such a structured system with players that suits their style.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Slaf was once again hands down our best 5 on 5 player. Only bright spot tonight.
He has been money since playing on the 1st line............

First half of the game, habs were the better team.............couple of crossbars and a chance by Andy fo in and it's a different game...............

Kings have guys who are big and can skate.....they are putting it all together right now..........still expect a 1st round loss in the playoffs....lol Anyone remember last years bruins ,best team ever!! LOL

Reactions: sandviper

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I liked what we showed in the first half of the game but we were a bit unlucky and then the Kings just smothered us. Pretty much a perfect road game for them, honestly no wonder they've won 11 of them in a row now. They have a really well built roster and a good system, if their goaltending holds up they're going to be a serious cup threat this year.
This is an accurate analysis. Montreal currently has a paper thin layer of talent that masks a core of largely developing or journeyman like players which presents a team that if they don’t capitalize on their limited number of scoring chances can’t compete against stronger opposition. Their lack of talent means they have no margin for error. Last night, no fair observer could complain about the team’s effort against a heavier, deeper and more skilled opponent. When we failed to score on our initial, multiple scoring chances, the final outcome was all too predictable.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

There’s some high-end talent this coming draft and next so hopefully we nail it on those.

Roy I am hopeful but even though Mesar is tearing it up, not too confident on him right now. Agree losing Dach and Newhook really hurts us offensively and there isn’t much help up front that I see.

I do think Mailloux and especially Hutson will help our offence if they hit their ceilings. I know they’re defenders but they’d give us a real shot in the arm.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
In your opinion, do you think there were more skilled forwards left on the board at 1OA and and 5OA in 2022 and 2023, respectively?

Didn't mind Slafkovsky at all, even though I really thought they'd go for Wright, and a part of me wanted Jiricek, now more skilled, Cooley perhaps ? 2022 I think we got the forward with the most potential overall. In 2023 of course there were, but we got Reinbacher, thought it was weird, but don't mind him at all either and understand the need.

That said, I wasn't talking specifically about top, 1st round prospects, there are skilled forwards all over the drafts, that's why some seem to develop out of nowhere, just a matter of projection, development, willpower. If we don't take chances, we'll have to trade for them anyway.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Another great game by Slaf. If he continue like that, points will come and he show in his last few games that he can potentially become the best forward on this team, with Dach!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Slaf was once again hands down our best 5 on 5 player. Only bright spot tonight.
We better start getting something from our 2 highest paid hands or things are gonna get real ugly around here, and I’m not talking assists!!!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Why is it that many top teams fall and come back faster than the Habs? The kings were stanely cup champions not too long ago and then they went through a short rough patch but now thier back again at the top.

Im just a frustrated habs fan thats sick and tired of seeing other teams that have a lesser fan base outpace mes glorieux!!!

The most winning team in the NHL ever is now just another canadian under achiever team. No canadian team since 93 has won the stanely cup. That should say everythning you need to know.
Well said!!!!

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I can't help but see the replay of the 3rd in my head. The dman waiting in front of Montambault for the 4 other players to get on each side of him, and all 5 skate up with no conviction whatsoever, knowing they've done the same shit all game and it's not working...

StLouis rubbing his forehead...

What a mess. We're so bad. So bad. No real talent. No real coaches. Terr

Never watched the game -Thank God! People on Facebook were comparing the King's to Jacques Lemaire 1-3-1 Devils. One fan said going to this game was worst $250 he ever spent. Glad I missed it.

On a positive, the Bruins lost 3-1
Why anyone would spend that much money on Hughes and Gorton's Larry Curly and Moe coaching experiment is baffling but then again some people will pay 195$ to meet Geoff Youppi.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
MSL coaches like he would have wanted to be coached. A good way for fast, skilled, smart players.

Our players are not that.

Yeah, like when Therrien was here and imposed his 'karakter grind' to mostly skilled forwards.

Personally, I know I cut some slack to St-Louis cause unlike Therrien he barely has any experience, but yeah, I hope he can adjust to what he has.

Reactions: MasterD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad