Post-Game Talk: Habs Laff last! Youngin's put on a show for the win!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Xhekaj was ok but off all the D he was the one least noticeable (and I really like him). Once Eddy or Matheson is back I really think they should send X to the AHL so he can be on the top pair with Barron.

His current progression curve is incredible and he's clearly not just a goon, we should give him a chance to keep developping before burying him behind Matheson/Edmunson/Ghule. We'll need the best possible Arber when we're gonna start competing, he's built for the playoffs.
Yeah, like one prophet mentioned, his gap control is a weakness Robidas needs to work on. It’s doable because of his size and reach.

Also, the two breakaways : first one, he made a DB rookie mistake by trying to carch the puck and counter with it instead of playing D. Second one that led to the pen shot, he just forgot his man.

I'm trapped in a glass cage of emotions.

This quote is everything I've ever wanted a coach to say.
His full quote was even better.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
I've been here longer than you jaffy, so please don't patronize me.

We're in the midst of the biggest scandals regarding sexual harassment in the history of hockey and the whole point im making is that making "jokes" about your octogenarian grandpa wanting his dick played with by a girl who's young enough to be his great grand daughter is exactly the sort of thing that is currently part of the problem. Can you think it? Sure! Do you need to tell the world about it??? I mean it's just a tiny bit of common sense and maybe just... Think twice before posting? I dunno.

Some of you guys are genuinely funny. And I've enjoyed this board since 2002. But at some point, ya gotta start thinking that maybe, just maybe your dick joke doesn't need sharing.
You were right about taking flak for pointing out that the joke adds nothing to the board, and I would add takes away from it. Good for you for speaking up anyway. I wanted to but figured it was pointless. You’re clearly an optimist.

Reactions: RabbleMasterBlaster

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I agree that Tavares was a UFA overpayment but the point is always relevant: it's better to overpay premium players than other ones. There was nothing wrong with paying Matthews and Marner what they're worth -- they're 100 point players.

What went wrong was the cap didn't go up. Too bad for the Leafs, they gambled on that cap increasing and it didn't happen.

The Habs were desperate to sign Tavares and he refused to even pick up our call. He would've gotten that cap hit anywhere he went, he's a star two-way centreman.
He would have earned it in Montreal as the clear top guy. In Toronto he’s not as key. The Leafs pretty much had to trade a forward once the cap stopped rising but they didn’t. They have to be worried sbout their goaltending, again.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I agree that Tavares was a UFA overpayment but the point is always relevant: it's better to overpay premium players than other ones. There was nothing wrong with paying Matthews and Marner what they're worth -- they're 100 point players.

What went wrong was the cap didn't go up. Too bad for the Leafs, they gambled on that cap increasing and it didn't happen.

The Habs were desperate to sign Tavares and he refused to even pick up our call. He would've gotten that cap hit anywhere he went, he's a star two-way centreman.
He wouldn't even call us back...........how is that for credibility of a clown GM?
The cap going flat really killed them to an extent.
They still refuse to do the right thing though.............some of that money needs to be spent on their D and Goalies........rinse and repeat.
This year may be different, and maybe they punch themselves into the 2nd round, but don't bet your house on it.
The pressure they have is beyond enormous....

Best part of last night, is we played some fun hockey..........a back and forth game that didn't make anyone fall aslleep.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
There‘s going to be a lot of misery this season, and no doubt we’ll be mocked by rival fanbases all year. We’re rebuilding so we just have to trust the process, and games like last night will be the anomalies rather than the norm.

However, the emotions I felt for a REGULAR season game was incredible. I actually cheered audibly when Monahan scored and immediately deflated when the Laffs tied it. I legit thought we’d lose in the last minute, and definitely thought we’d lose in OT. When Anderson scored, I jumped off my couch. I was so happy, it was strange.

I want to do a full rebuild, and want a legit shot at Bedard but last night, I really don’t see how any fan could be mad that we won. We have 81 other games we can lose, but last night was the best I’ve felt about the team since the last playoff run.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Savard's game today is basically him in a nutshell.

Some shifts he handles the puck like Alzner, other shifts, he looks looks like a physical blocking machine.

The odd time, he also shows a surprising deke that excites you but also makes you panic with what he's about to do next.

It was all on display tonight.
If his play ( both the good and bad) remains constant, Savard, at the trade deadline, becomes one of our most tradable assets. He brings physical play, shot blocking ability and leadership to a contending team seeking quality depth for a long playoff run. Tampa Bay paid a first rounder for Savard two years ago for their successful Cup run. Perhaps Hughes can conger up some more magic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs and jrom

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There‘s going to be a lot of misery this season, and no doubt we’ll be mocked by rival fanbases all year. We’re rebuilding so we just have to trust the process, and games like last night will be the anomalies rather than the norm.

However, the emotions I felt for a REGULAR season game was incredible. I actually cheered audibly when Monahan scored and immediately deflated when the Laffs tied it. I legit thought we’d lose in the last minute, and definitely thought we’d lose in OT. When Anderson scored, I jumped off my couch. I was so happy, it was strange.

I want to do a full rebuild, and want a legit shot at Bedard but last night, I really don’t see how any fan could be mad that we won. We have 81 other games we can lose, but last night was the best I’ve felt about the team since the last playoff run.
Some (most?) rebuilds are devoid of excitement. Lots of pain and little to cheer about. Last night, the team showed that this year, regardless of the rebuild, the Canadiens are not a pushover. Its a large and surprisingly quick team. A team that if it gets the breaks will compete in most games. Yes, we will have our six games losing streaks and occasionally get blown out against stronger teams. But the roots and foundation of the rebuild were on display last night. As I have noted previously, at its essence, professional sport is entertainment. Were you not entertained last night?

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Some (most?) rebuilds are devoid of excitement. Lots of pain and little to cheer about. Last night, the team showed that this year, regardless of the rebuild, the Canadiens are not a pushover. Its a large and surprisingly quick team. A team that if it gets the breaks will compete in most games. Yes, we will have our six games losing streaks and occasionally get blown out against stronger teams. But the roots and foundation of the rebuild were on display last night. As I have noted previously, at its essence, professional sport is entertainment. Were you not entered last night?

Yeah, I was discussing with a friend last weekend that despite Bergy leaving us in cap hell, our prospect pool was actually very decent. Sure, we didnt have any bluechippers, but there’s a lot of depth. While he didn’t leave us with extra firsts, which HuGo took care of, we did stockpile a lot of picks.

The current plan is also evident on the ice. Team is heavier, but still pretty quick. The mere fact we dressed so many rookies is a testament on the faith the team has in its own plan.

So, we should have a more entertaining rebuild and I really don’t think it'll be as long and painful as a typical one.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yoooo, Slaf’s dad
I thought we would get pounded with that D. Lol, Leafs.

Yep Slaf, that's what it's like when the fans are happy.

A good number of solid individual performances and a good job by the team overall. Guhle was terrific , Caufield doing his thing , pleased with Dach and Slaf was fine. Fun watch.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Joel is very comfy talking about hockey, but he’s not very comfy when it comes to ridiculing Dave. You can see his non-verbal…

Probably because Dave implied Joel was an opportunist when he interviewed him after he got the job at the Anaheim farm team. I have to admit it was ballsy of Dave to say that back in the day. lol

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
He moves the puck fine on the PP IMO, the problem is that he's not really a menace to blast one from the point...

So the PK is not really focusing on him shooting the puck...
There hasn't been a single slapshot from Habs D at any point since preseason (even strength or PP). I think the directive is to just put a wrister on net.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

This is how you want to win too.. it wasn't useless plugs like Hoffman winning the game.

I have no concerns that we still won't be a bottom team. We won't have many winning moments like last night throughout the year, gotta cherish them while they happen.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
You were right about taking flak for pointing out that the joke adds nothing to the board, and I would add takes away from it. Good for you for speaking up anyway. I wanted to but figured it was pointless. You’re clearly an optimist.
Thanks for your message, appreciate it. It's obvious that there's still a long way to go...

Reactions: Canad13ns

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Okay, I have to ask what the f*** is the point of calling Xhekaj ... Jackeye? It's literally more letters and unless I missed something, there's no real humour to it?

"Xhekaj" is pronounced "Jackeye".

What the hell have you been calling him?

Although, truthfully, I tend to call him Zay-jack. No idea why.
I read it as something similar to "Sekac".

Zajac.

Them Eastern Euros and their Cyrillic. :laugh:

Monahan's hands are insanely fast, for shot or passing, it's really happening fast.
Well, he was a 27-30 goal scorer. His mind never got injured, just the body.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The young D filled in nicely; I think they're better than our regulars. Guhle in particular didn't look out of place as our #1D. Even with them playing well Allen is not a real #1 and the forwards will be prone to cold streaks. I wouldn't extrapolate tonight's game to not getting a top 5 pick.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Honestly can't ask for more, since the hire of MSL, this team has been fun to watch!
Win or lose, this is all we ask for, play with heart and give 110%

I just found Dadonov was a little weak last night, he keeps playing like this Drouin will and should replace him

The young D filled in nicely; I think they're better than our regulars. Guhle in particular didn't look out of place as our #1D. Even with them playing well Allen is not a real #1 and the forwards will be prone to cold streaks. I wouldn't extrapolate tonight's game to not getting a top 5 pick.
It's going to be like the Brian Savage years, this team will compete until about mid to end November, then teams will come back to normal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad