Post-Game Talk: Habs Laff last! Youngin's put on a show for the win!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Dadonov is a Lekhonen de luxe.

Good game from the boys. A little of slopiness, but good start. Nice momentum, let's keep it going

Allen/Montembault vs Detroit?

Leaning towards Montembault

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
God I wish we had a finished player like Tavares instead of not-finished players like Drouin, Gallagher, Dadanov, Armia, Byron, etc.
God I wish we had 76 point Tavares over bums like Suzuki and Caufield who hd 61 and 43 points respectively. 'Cause you know pyjama boy is in his prime.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Dadonov is playing like a gutless zombie.
Wideman as a PP QB is really frustrating to see.
He moves the puck fine on the PP IMO, the problem is that he's not really a menace to blast one from the point...

So the PK is not really focusing on him shooting the puck...

Reactions: Redux91

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
God I wish we had 76 point Tavares over bums like Suzuki and Caufield who hd 61 and 43 points respectively. 'Cause you know pyjama boy is in his prime.
Why is it either/or like that?? Tavares is an incredible player. If he joins the Habs tomorrow, he'd be the best forward the Habs would've seen in over 20 years.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Leafs made a mistake in signing Tavares.

Should've invested that cash in D and goaltending instead.
Their big mistake was gambling on the cap rising at the rate it was rising. It was a risk I would've sanctioned and taken but who would've known a once-in-a-century pandemic would happen right when you'd need that cap space the most?

The Tavares signing itself was meant to put their offense over-the-top and remove any doubt for their firepower, and also to mitigate the risk of injury to their Big3 (Nylander, Marner, Matthews). As it turned out, Marner is way better than anticipated and Nylander until last year wasn't as good as the other two guys -- so Tavares was definitely value added for them. They have two 100pt forwards, one ppg forward, and it looks like another ppg forward. That's incredible. If they had some more cap to sprinkle around their D-corps they could win any game with just their Big4. But as you say they're deficient on D and G.

Thankfully for us Habs fans, the Leafs are cursed. Only 1.97 more seasons of Matthews' contract. Let's see what happens after :)

On another note, shoutout to Goal Caufield. I know he's a first round pick but what a player, it feels reinvigorating to get to watch a player so good, so skilled. Thank you HuGo+MSL for saving him... and thank you to Timmins and Bergevin for drafting him

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Their big mistake was gambling on the cap rising at the rate it was rising. It was a risk I would've sanctioned and taken but who would've known a once-in-a-century pandemic would happen right when you'd need that cap space the most?

The Tavares signing itself was meant to put their offense over-the-top and remove any doubt for their firepower, and also to mitigate the risk of injury to their Big3 (Nylander, Marner, Matthews). As it turned out, Marner is way better than anticipated and Nylander until last year wasn't as good as the other two guys -- so Tavares was definitely value added for them. They have two 100pt forwards, one ppg forward, and it looks like another ppg forward. That's incredible. If they had some more cap to sprinkle around their D-corps they could win any game with just their Big4. But as you say they're deficient on D and G.

Thankfully for us Habs fans, the Leafs are cursed. Only 1.97 more seasons of Matthews' contract. Let's see what happens after :)

On another note, shoutout to Goal Caufield. I know he's a first round pick but what a player, it feels reinvigorating to get to watch a player so good, so skilled. Thank you HuGo+MSL for saving him... and thank you to Timmins and Bergevin for drafting him
The biggest problem IMO was that it set a bad standard contract throughout the organization.

Because of that Tavares contract, they had no choice but to pay all the rest at the same level.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The biggest problem IMO was that it set a bad standard contract throughout the organization.

Because of that Tavares contract, they had no choice but to pay all the rest at the same level.
All those players are worth it.

... If the cap had kept going up.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
All those players are worth it.

... If the cap had kept going up.
Not so sure Tavares was worth the cash he got, to be honest.

But he was UFA so overpayment as usual...

And when Matthews was extended or even Marner, they didn't seek comparables around the league, they compared themselves to Tavares! do you get the point?

The reason Boston was so good for so many years is cuz Bergeron was signed to a friendly deal and no one on the team could logically ask for more than him!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Not so sure Tavares was worth the cash he got, to be honest.

But he was UFA so overpayment as usual...

And when Matthews was extended or even Marner, they didn't seek comparables around the league, they compared themselves to Tavares! do you get the point?

The reason Boston was so good for so many years is cuz Bergeron was signed to a friendly deal and no one on the team could logically ask for more than him!
I agree that Tavares was a UFA overpayment but the point is always relevant: it's better to overpay premium players than other ones. There was nothing wrong with paying Matthews and Marner what they're worth -- they're 100 point players.

What went wrong was the cap didn't go up. Too bad for the Leafs, they gambled on that cap increasing and it didn't happen.

The Habs were desperate to sign Tavares and he refused to even pick up our call. He would've gotten that cap hit anywhere he went, he's a star two-way centreman.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I agree that Tavares was a UFA overpayment but the point is always relevant: it's better to overpay premium players than other ones. There was nothing wrong with paying Matthews and Marner what they're worth -- they're 100 point players.

What went wrong was the cap didn't go up. Too bad for the Leafs, they gambled on that cap increasing and it didn't happen.

The Habs were desperate to sign Tavares and he refused to even pick up our call. He would've gotten that cap hit anywhere he went, he's a star two-way centreman.
I'm pretty sure if not for that Tavares contract on the board they could've extended Matthews and Marner at lower cap hits.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm pretty sure if not for that Tavares contract on the board they could've extended Matthews and Marner at lower cap hits.
But they would've not had Tavares and missed a significant part of their team. Who do they have or did they have who could do what Tavares does? They lost pretty much only Zack Hyman. I think they needed Tavares more than they didn't need him (for reasons I argued above). If a player like Tavares is available and wants to join, you sign him. It would be foolish not to -- every team who had the space wanted him, including Colorado.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
But they would've not had Tavares and missed a significant part of their team. Who do they have or did they have who could do what Tavares does? They lost pretty much only Zack Hyman. I think they needed Tavares more than they didn't need him (for reasons I argued above). If a player like Tavares is available and wants to join, you sign him. It would be foolish not to -- every team who had the space wanted him, including Colorado.
They sacrificed Kadri...

I know hindsight is bliss but they would probably have a cup right now if they didn't go after Tavares.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Only able to watch the last 30 minutes of the game or so but was nice to watch. The result likely are not going to be this good every night but if they can play hard it will be fun to watch.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
shouldn’t change the outloook or objective this season, there will be some tougher nights but very encouraging to see Guhle and Dach. Harris was good. I liked Monahan and obviously Caufield and Suzuki. Slaf was good too. Those are the 6-7 guys you want to see perform well.

As for Dadonov or hoffman, i honeslty don’t care how they do. They are not here long term so I’m not going to lose sleep over them.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Man there's nothing better than Lats and Max making fun of Morisette. And now they have Joel added to the balls breaking. Should be a great season.
Joel is very comfy talking about hockey, but he’s not very comfy when it comes to ridiculing Dave. You can see his non-verbal…

Reactions: Runner77 and Kimota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad