Salary Cap: Gun to Your Head

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Willy or Mitch?

• Willy

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • Mitch

Votes: 145 81.5%

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Capfriendly says he had a full NMC and a M-NTC so I guess functionally they could trade him somewhere but not put him on waivers or expose him to the expansion draft.
Not really sure what that meant.
Technically Fluery wasn’t the same situation, he’s from Quebec not Pennsylvania.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not really sure what that meant.
Technically Fluery wasn’t the same situation, he’s from Quebec not Pennsylvania.

Darryl Sittler is probably the most direct comparable situation to Mitch Marner if it came to moving a hometown guy if the relationship sours.

But I think the reason the Leafs have kept everyone together this long is because Brendan Shanahan grew up as a 70s kid watching that Leafs dismantling in the early 80s and that was seen as a real catastrophe for the Leafs and didn’t want to repeat it this era.

Problem is this whole program feels so stale and out of that championship climb momentum.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Darryl Sittler is probably the most direct comparable situation to Mitch Marner if it came to moving a hometown guy if the relationship sours.

But I think the reason the Leafs have kept everyone together this long is because Brendan Shanahan grew up as a 70s kid watching that Leafs dismantling in the early 80s and that was seen as a real catastrophe for the Leafs and didn’t want to repeat it this era.

Problem is this whole program feels so stale and out of that championship climb momentum.
I don’t recall all the details from the 80s other than the team being terrible. Did they even have NTCs back then?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Say what you will about Dubas, but one thing for sure is that he wants to win. Even if you believe it is to satisfy his own ego, he badly wants to win.

After 5 years of watching them bow out of the playoffs, and watching the players he acquired at the deadline last year, it looked like he was starting to switch gears on what he believed a winning roster would look like.
everyone wants to win and only an idiot blows the draft capital he did at the t/d in the belief you can remake your team by turning over a 1/4 of your roster at that time of year and think it'll be successful

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t recall all the details from the 80s other than the team being terrible. Did they even have NTCs back then?

I just know it from reading history but the reason they traded Lanny to Colorado was to alienate Sittler and force him to waive his no trade. Obviously a different era, and to disastrous results but I always saw the parallel between that era and this one.

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I just know it from reading history but the reason they traded Lanny to Colorado was to alienate Sittler and force him to waive his no trade. Obviously a different era, and to disastrous results but I always saw the parallel between that era and this one.
Sounds like Sittler asked to be traded, he wasn’t asked to waive, he said he would for Minnesota or Philadelphia

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As if this guy isn't using "recency bias" to trash Treliving' after his first season with the team 20 games in :laugh: The hypocrisy is just hilarious.

Rules for thee but not for mee
Ripped Raanta today because he is an often injured backup but supported the Murray trade all the way to LTIR. Quite entertaining. LOL.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ripped Raanta today because he is an often injured backup but supported the Murray trade all the way to LTIR. Quite entertaining. LOL.
Only mistake Raanta made is not having Kyle Dubas as his GM.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like Sittler asked to be traded, he wasn’t asked to waive, he said he would for Minnesota or Philadelphia

Though Imlach wanted Sittler gone, he had a no-trade clause in his contract, making it impossible to deal him away without permission. So, instead, Imlach dealt everybody around him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The further along this goes, the more it seems that Shanahan blocked a move(s). It sounds like that's why Dubas implied he wanted more control, that's not the same as saying I think Dubas did an ok job. He didn't, he was terrible.
why would it indicate Shanny blocked a move , especially considering how many moves Dubas made last season

Dubas is a back stabbing weasel with a God complex , only a piece of shit would try to f*** a guy you owe your career too . Shanny or the board didn't offer him an extention and made him dance for his dinner which put him on tilt as witnessed by his meltdown late in the season and his presser.

this had nothing to do with blocking moves like Mirtle was trying to spin , it was all about Dubie's ego

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He could not trade Sit so he traded his best friend. The game had passed Punch by, his second time around here.

Yeah. And obviously no one would want a repeat of that with Marner. But change can be good if it’s approached professionally and the Leafs get a proper return and use their cap space properly in the event of a change.

Reactions: ToneDog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It would be so f***ing great if these morons can just wake the F up and make all our lives easy and simple. If they can get going in regular season and playoffs that would be seriously cause less stress among the fanbase

when I see the all time lists I really want matthews/marner/nylander to stick it to everyone including me I will happily eat crow. They just need to effing show up and do it!

1701036215456.png

1701036268570.png

1701036310954.png

Reactions: namttebih

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What about if the Leafs are out of a playoff position (prob unlikely) but maybe he would waive if he is told he’s not gonna have a future here give us a list of playoff teams you would waive for and at least Leafs get some assets? Just spit balling.
Ive been saying this since the summer. It is unlikely they will be so far out of a playoff spot that they’ll move the pending UFAs, but if they are, they had better trade a few of them.

Reactions: HolyCrap

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I couldn't care less that Marner is in a funk, that doesn't bother me at all. My concern with Marner is the the bigger the games get, the worse he plays. Nylander may "go back to being Nylander" but Marner always been the same regular season whiz kid who fades when the pressure's on.

I've said it many times - I'll judge everyone mostly on how they play in the playoffs. Maybe this is the year Marner finally figures out how to play big in the biggest moments you never know. I'm not optimistic though as I see no reason to think that this year will be different somehow, we'll see.

I take Nylander over Marner at this point. There's no guarantees about how the future plays out but as of today, Marner is the obvious choice, at least for me.

Marner has outproduced Nylander in the playoffs while being miles better defensively. I know that isn't the popular narrative around here, but it is what it is..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner has outproduced Nylander in the playoffs while being miles better defensively. I know that isn't the popular narrative around here, but it is what it is..
Over the last 4 years, Marner has only one more point than Nylander. Nylander has way more goals though, he doesn't have the luxury of having Matthews on his line, he wasn't removed from PP1 last playoff for no apparent reason, he doesn't disappear in the biggest games and he's on an upward trend to boot. Oh yeah, he also makes 4 million a year less than Marner, and while that gap will likely be not quite so big going forward, I figure Marner will still be paid more which factors into my thinking as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That’s no way to address “one of the most correct posters on these boards”.
I think we've all come across those people life who want to outwardly proclaim how smart they are. Pretty well every time they prove that they aren't nearly as smart as they think they are.

Actual smart people never actually bring up such things.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When you start a rebuild in 2014 (Nylander) and 10 years later you have 1 playoff round win, nothing and I mean nothing should be off the table. It’s foolish if you aren’t listening to everything otherwise.
Seems obvious to me.

Reactions: andora

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Punch 2.0 was a disaster, bought back Carl Brewer to spy on the players. It’s no wonder when his car wouldn’t start at the airport and he needed a boost no one helped him, in fact Dave Hutchinson left the parking lot waving his booster cables at Punch, needless to say he was immediately traded and probably happy to be gone……..

Reactions: Gary Nylund

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner’s game ….. not a playoff game.
Kinda true with Matthews as well.

Nylander has speed and an elite shot.

AM34 MM16 only have one part.

I have been critical of Nylander since his contract shenanigans. The last two years has changed my impression - I find he’s a player that can be built around very easily. The fact he can make something of JT is also impressive.

Knies Nylander Matthews

First line right there

Reactions: Arzak

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Seems obvious to me.
The hardest thing to do is change the way someone thinks. (Look at this board). After years, someone might need to be changed for another who has a different mentality of urgency, seriousness, which then filters into the others. It shakes up the comfort and forces some to rise into different thought processes.
Changing Reaves for Simmonds or Klingberg doesn’t do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad