Salary Cap: Gun to Your Head

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Willy or Mitch?

• Willy

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • Mitch

Votes: 145 81.5%

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I thought Marner was going to step up and be the best player in the TB series last year, but he really disappointed with his play. It would take guts to pull off a trade of either player, but with a gun to my head I would trade Marner.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we kept our picks, we could have several players like Knies on our roster making us much better cap and performance wise.

But we needed Foligno and ROR to install balls/leadership during their 2 month stay with Leafs.
no amount of acquired character will help these guys care, it's all about the money...........

Reactions: Arzak

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What eats at me is that Dubas was clearly going to break up the core 4 in his presser. And the odd one out is clearly Mitch Marner based on playoff style hockey, inability to win under pressure (remember the x amount of years in a row with delay of game penalties lol). and playoff production relative to minutes.

Perhaps three weeks isn't enough time to trade a guy, I don't know, I am not a GM. But man, what a missed opportunity to probably get a couple of decent, young dmen and better cap allocation.

Before I get piled on for being a Dubas fan - I am indifferent to whoever runs the team; what I want is changes to make this team a true contender. And so far, Tre hasn't done these yet.
Dubas wasn't breaking up shit , all he said at the press conference when asked about his future plans was ''everything's on the table'' which means shit since the turd needs to make a meal out of every answer to keep promoting his ''i'm smarter than everyone schtick" .

if the guy was half the genius some people on here believe he was he would have made a deal for Tkachuck when he was available

but but but Thachuck wanted to play anywhere but Toronto , lol

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Useless poll for Leafs fans because they are the literal epitome of "what have you done for us most recently?"

I have never seen players go from hero to zero and back as fast as they do with Leafs fans.

The poll will be hugely skewed to Nylander but the answer is to keep Marner. He'll sort out this funk eventually and Nylander will most likely go back to being Nylander after the ink dries.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas wasn't breaking up shit , all he said at the press conference when asked about his future plans was ''everything's on the table'' which means shit since the turd needs to make a meal out of every answer to keep promoting his ''i'm smarter than everyone schtick" .

if the guy was half the genius some people on here believe he was he would have made a deal for Tkachuck when he was available

but but but Thachuck wanted to play anywhere but Toronto , lol
Could have traded for the prick Bennett but let him go to the competition.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
What eats at me is that Dubas was clearly going to break up the core 4 in his presser. And the odd one out is clearly Mitch Marner based on playoff style hockey, inability to win under pressure (remember the x amount of years in a row with delay of game penalties lol). and playoff production relative to minutes.

Perhaps three weeks isn't enough time to trade a guy, I don't know, I am not a GM. But man, what a missed opportunity to probably get a couple of decent, young dmen and better cap allocation.

Before I get piled on for being a Dubas fan - I am indifferent to whoever runs the team; what I want is changes to make this team a true contender. Let's get started Tre.
I believe you are correct. Dubas was going to trade one of them, or more.

The more this goes on, the more I believe Shanahan is the real problem.

yup he could have made a number of quality moves when he was employed by the Leafs and didn't so i don't know why anyone would believe he'd have made all these genius moves if he wasn't fired
He might have botched the trade, but I still think he was going to do it.

As for Tkachuk, he was very clear that he did not want to play in Canada.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh, you wanted something really specific.

Darryl Sittler waived his no-trade clause to be traded to Philadelphia after a protracted battle with Leafs management, which saw Lanny McDonald shipped out to alienate Sittler. Sittler finally relented on the condition he be moved to either Philadelphia or Minnesota in 1982 Not the same CBA or era and Sittler is technically from Kitchener, but between Leafs core dismantling, long time Ontario born star, franchise change in direction vibes it's close enough.

Other more modern examples of guys who did the honorable thing might be Marc-Andre Fleury who waived his no move for the Vegas expansion, and Ryan McDonagh who waived to leave Tampa a few days after winning their back to back cup.

Again I'm just looking for historical examples I'm not saying to necessarily do anything about Mitch or Tavares today or tomorrow but with their contracts running down, if things don't go well. Some guys choose to leave willingly.
I don’t think Fluery had a full NMC.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Agreed the only way he leaves is walking as a
UFA.
What about if the Leafs are out of a playoff position (prob unlikely) but maybe he would waive if he is told he’s not gonna have a future here give us a list of playoff teams you would waive for and at least Leafs get some assets? Just spit balling.

Reactions: ACC1224

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I believe you are correct. Dubas was going to trade one of them, or more.

The more this goes on, the more I believe Shanahan is the real problem.

He might have botched the trade, but I still think he was going to do it.

As for Tkachuk, he was very clear that he did not want to play in Canada.
Dubas has years to trade one of the kids and didn't so now that there contracts were winding down and there nmc's were kicking in he was going to pull the trigger with there value at their lowest ? yeah that makes a lot of sense . lol

Shanny isn't the problem nor is it the media or the fans or the f***ing Aliens , the problem is Dubas is a incompetent GM

I keep hearing that from the Dubas fan club and maybe i missed it but i never heard he didn't want to play in Canada . I'd also find it strange he wouldn't want to play a few hr drive from his brother .

Reactions: All Mod Cons

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think the reason this group isn't working out for us is that they are all too similar in playing styles. All skill, no nastiness and a flair for flaming out when the pressure is highest (Willy isn't really bad in that respect compared to the others). When you have no diversity in your top players it makes it much harder to cover up for each others flaws. If we play a team that is rough and tumble and we have those type of star players...they cover up for the MM and AM's of the team.

What we have is a team that someone has written a blueprint on how to beat and everyone uses it against us with great success.

Yup! they are too similar in the way they play, Need a bit more diversity. Either they develop it (its been 7 years now....) or we trade for it.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Dubas has years to trade one of the kids and didn't so now that there contracts were winding down and there nmc's were kicking in he was going to pull the trigger with there value at their lowest ? yeah that makes a lot of sense . lol

Shanny isn't the problem nor is it the media or the fans or the f***ing Aliens , the problem is Dubas is a incompetent GM

I keep hearing that from the Dubas fan club and maybe i missed it but i never heard he didn't want to play in Canada . I'd also find it strange he wouldn't want to play a few hr drive from his brother .
Say what you will about Dubas, but one thing for sure is that he wants to win. Even if you believe it is to satisfy his own ego, he badly wants to win.

After 5 years of watching them bow out of the playoffs, and watching the players he acquired at the deadline last year, it looked like he was starting to switch gears on what he believed a winning roster would look like.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Useless poll for Leafs fans because they are the literal epitome of "what have you done for us most recently?"

I have never seen players go from hero to zero and back as fast as they do with Leafs fans.

The poll will be hugely skewed to Nylander but the answer is to keep Marner. He'll sort out this funk eventually and Nylander will most likely go back to being Nylander after the ink dries.

I think the dissatisfaction with Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Tavares runs very deep because they've never really done that much for the Leafs relative to all the winning promise earlier in their careers. So fans want to hold onto that hope but there's so much bad history.

For all the hype and excitement they still generate we've never had a playoff run more than any run of the mill team. So you have a bunch of guys approaching middle age in the sport who have the same level of success as a freshly rebuilt New Jersey Devils but seem to be on a post dynasty hangover a la Tampa Bay.

Frankly, they've never been good enough. Have so far to go to get there. But carry on like they've been there and done that like they're the class of the league. It's gross.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
My gut tells me that Matthews has quasi Klinbered himself. He bet on himself for 4 years; and I don't think his contributions/production is going to match the 13.25 AAV; he will get a much lower cap hit on his next deal.

- His skating is not the same as it was before
- His shot is not the same as it was before
- His boardwork is not the same as it was before
- Along the road he has also picked up really bad habits from marner in making cute BS plays and Tavares' 1 on 3 hockey instead of putting the puck deep and engaging in board battle when out manned

matthews' prime asset was his shot which is nowhere to be seen since last season.

Don't underestimate how money-driven these guys are.

He's going to drop a 120-point season in that contract year because he'll be motivated. It's exactly what Willy is doing right now with the well-timed surge.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don’t think Fluery had a full NMC.
Nope MAF did have NMC but Modified NTC
1701033867725.png

Apparently according to the expansion rules if MAF had not wavied his NMC he was automatically supposed to be protected but that wouldn't have saved MAF from getting traded before the expansion draft to teams not on his NTC list

1701034008242.png

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The further along this goes, the more it seems that Shanahan blocked a move(s). It sounds like that's why Dubas implied he wanted more control, that's not the same as saying I think Dubas did an ok job. He didn't, he was terrible.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

He's going to drop a 120-point season in that contract year because he'll be motivated. It's exactly what Willy is doing right now with the well-timed surge.

His shot is not what it used to be, i don't know how much the wrist surgery has to do with it; it would be quite a tell if matthews all of a sudden started sniping goals in his contract year :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I couldn't care less that Marner is in a funk, that doesn't bother me at all. My concern with Marner is the the bigger the games get, the worse he plays. Nylander may "go back to being Nylander" but Marner always been the same regular season whiz kid who fades when the pressure's on.

I've said it many times - I'll judge everyone mostly on how they play in the playoffs. Maybe this is the year Marner finally figures out how to play big in the biggest moments you never know. I'm not optimistic though as I see no reason to think that this year will be different somehow, we'll see.

I take Nylander over Marner at this point. There's no guarantees about how the future plays out but as of today, Marner is the obvious choice, at least for me.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The further along this goes, the more it seems that Shanahan blocked a move(s). It sounds like that's why Dubas implied he wanted more control, that's not the same as saying I think Dubas did an ok job. He didn't, he was terrible.

If Dubas wasn't able to do what he wanted then i will have to take some of my critic of dubas back. My working assumption has been that dubas has been fully responsible for what happened during his tenure here. The day they fired babcock with 25 million still outstanding; at least to me it was obvious who initiated that

Reactions: Cleetus

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What about if the Leafs are out of a playoff position (prob unlikely) but maybe he would waive if he is told he’s not gonna have a future here give us a list of playoff teams you would waive for and at least Leafs get some assets? Just spit balling.
Perhaps next season

Reactions: HolyCrap

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021

Contract year heroes piss me off more than anything. So you can play at that level but choose not to?

F*** off!

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad