LeBrun: Guentzel: Pens want prospects over picks - Carolina favorite

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
It’s gotta be Vegas. If they want a deal done by tomorrow then they must have a team and package they like.. I don’t see Vancouver ponying up

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He was also out for a significant period of time. He is a good player and was sent down to regain his confidence and learn more structure. The issue was that he was playing to safe and was reluctant because he didn’t want to make a mistake.

The guys on the team and tocchet love his work ethic and drive and he is just going through the same process as Hoglander did and that worked out in spades. He played last game and was good and is playing today as well. I get you can’t watch all teams, but he is a solid prospect and if he is still around, he will be in the top 9 for Van next year and I bet he gets 20 goals. Save this receipt.

All of this does nothing to refute my point that a guy who is in his draft+5 year that isn't a top-5 scorer on his AHL team and isn't a proven NHLer has very little value.

Again, I like Raty. I'm not going to downplay him. But Podkolzin sucks as a prospect, he has no more value than like a 4th. Especially considering he's waiver eligible starting next year. He's no more valuable than someone like Ty Smith is at this point.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I assume the "by tomorrow" part is that they would like to have a better understanding of cap space and available assets going into Thursday and Friday.

Beyond Guentzel, we're also talking about Smith, Eller, Acciari, Nedelkovich, Rudwedel, maybe even larger pieces like Pettersson or Jarry if he wants to get aggressive. So having this out of the way to focus on all of those others makes a good bit of sense. It also eliminates the "wait and see if the price comes down" aspect.

Come on Vancouver! Pony up Lekkermaki straight up for Jake @ 50%!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dubas wants his injured player traded 48hrs from the deadline, when he can afford to be patient. Sounds about right.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
All of this does nothing to refute my point that a guy who is in his draft+5 year that isn't a top-5 scorer on his AHL team and isn't a proven NHLer has very little value.

Again, I like Raty. I'm not going to downplay him. But Podkolzin sucks as a prospect, he has no more value than like a 4th. Especially considering he's waiver eligible starting next year. He's no more valuable than someone like Ty Smith is at this point.
You’re wrong and your analysis is so basic I can’t believe you’re doubling down.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I assume the "by tomorrow" part is that they would like to have a better understanding of cap space and available assets going into Thursday and Friday.

Beyond Guentzel, we're also talking about Smith, Eller, Acciari, Nedelkovich, Rudwedel, maybe even larger pieces like Pettersson or Jarry if he wants to get aggressive. So having this out of the way to focus on all of those others makes a good bit of sense. It also eliminates the "wait and see if the price comes down" aspect.

Come on Vancouver! Pony up Lekkermaki straight up for Jake @ 50%!
I don’t think we will

Reactions: SEALBound

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I just can't see Vancouver or Vegas being the teams to overpay. Vancouver got their big fish, and Vegas despite being a contender almost every year typically doesn't go for big rentals.

If a team does overpay my money is on Edmonton

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Pens may want a trade done by tomorrow evening but I’m not sure what leverage they have unless they plan to keep him. Is that an option? Seems like an empty threat.

Of course there’s the risk of him being traded elsewhere but that’s always a risk. The artificial Wednesday deadline doesn’t change that risk, at least not in my mind.

It’ll be an interesting few days though, looking forward to see what the first domino to fall is.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
My analysis is a lot stronger than "Rick Tocchett likes his effort, so he's actually a good prospect".
Haha, looking at a stat sheet and comparing him to other players on the team with complete disregard with how many games he played and the circumstances is stronger then explaining the teams plan and the feedback provided by an actual NHL coach that is going to be the coach of the year about what kind of player he is. He works hard, has all the physical attributes, had a good rookie season and then went through 3 coaches in little over a year and got lost in the transition. Not hard to believe from a young man, and the same thing happened to Hoglander. He is on the exact same plan and process as Hoglander, and in his only game so far this year (part of said plan) he looked good and was singled out by the coaching staff for his play. But keep checking those stat sheets.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There's absolutely nothing worthwhile in Edmonton.
Yeah not for Guentzel, that's for sure. They have plenty of "Smith level assets" though.
First, Jack Drury and Jackson Blake?
Yes, I would do this. I would be relatively happy with this as well.
I would rather offer Garland than Hoglander. But Garland doesn't have much value.
I don't think Garland fits the "younger roster player" the Penguins want. But if the Nucks miss on Guentzel and there was interest in a Garland for Smith swap, I would be interested in discussing that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Haha, looking at a stat sheet and comparing him to other players on the team with complete disregard with how many games he played and the circumstances is stronger then explaining the teams plan and the feedback provided by an actual NHL coach that is going to be the coach of the year about what kind of player he is. He works hard, has all the physical attributes, had a good rookie season and then went through 3 coaches in little over a year and got lost in the transition. Not hard to believe from a young man, and the same thing happened to Hoglander. He is on the exact same plan and process as Hoglander, and in his only game so far this year (part of said plan) he looked good and was singled out by the coaching staff for his play. But keep checking those stat sheets.

Cool story. Doesn't refute anything I said.

Sam Poulin is a better prospect than Podkolzin at this point.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Pens may want a trade done by tomorrow evening but I’m not sure what leverage they have unless they plan to keep him. Is that an option? Seems like an empty threat.

Of course there’s the risk of him being traded elsewhere but that’s always a risk. The artificial Wednesday deadline doesn’t change that risk, at least not in my mind.

It’ll be an interesting few days though, looking forward to see what the first domino to fall is.
they absolutely have leverage if there are multiple teams bidding on him. is it enough leverage to rake away two of a team's best prospects and a 1st round pick? maybe, maybe not. but I think we'll see what teams are willing to pay to land him for a Cup run.

we must also keep in mind that he's a proven playoff performer, rental or not. he's a sure thing.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I just can't see Vancouver or Vegas being the teams to overpay. Vancouver got their big fish, and Vegas despite being a contender almost every year typically doesn't go for big rentals.

If a team does overpay my money is on Edmonton
Vegas doesn’t have the pieces to overpay.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
My analysis is a lot stronger than "Rick Tocchett likes his effort, so he's actually a good prospect".

Shots on goal leader on AB by a good margin. Is he chucking low quality attempts at the net, getting a bit unlucky

UU0tYaC.png

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
That offer gets absolutely smoked by anything Vegas would offer.

Podkolzin sucks. In his draft+5 year, he's the 6th leading scorer on his AHL team.
Wow you really need to stop looking at a players point totals in the AHL as proof of a players value, especially since the player in question missed games after a serious injury. Like I said before to judge Podz without actually having followed him doesn't paint the full picture.
It's fine not to want him as a piece but to say he sucks just shows your ignorance.
Podz will have a long NHL career, the question is will he be able to put it all together and use his elite skills or will he be a guy that 15-20 goal 3rd line defensively responsible winger? In neither of those scenarios does he suck.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wow you really need to stop looking at a players point totals in the AHL as proof of a players value, especially since the player in question missed games after a serious injury. Like I said before to judge Podz without actually having followed him doesn't paint the full picture.
It's fine not to want him as a piece but to say he sucks just shows your ignorance.
Podz will have a long NHL career, the question is will he be able to put it all together and use his elite skills or will he be a guy that 15-20 goal 3rd line defensively responsible winger? In neither of those scenarios does he suck.

Podkolzin is a worse prospect than Sam Poulin, who most Penguins fans have written off.

Reactions: domaug

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Cool story. Doesn't refute anything I said.

Sam Poulin is a better prospect than Podkolzin at this point.
This is the second time in this conversation about this guy you have been totally intellectually dishonest. Last time with the sliding goal posts and this time with the analysis of a three year old. It is clear to me that when your opinion is challenged you stomp your feet and repeat nonsense that is irrelevant and useless.

I look forward to you responding once we see the return.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
2024 1st
Broberg/Holloway

Would be a great pick up or the Oilers
Not for a rental.
Would rather go after Rielly and keep Holloway and the 1st.
2nd plus lower prospect for a RW

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
neither of those scenarios are a guarantee. why are you so sure that his floor is a 15-20-goal 3rd liner?

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
This is the second time in this conversation about this guy you have been totally intellectually dishonest. Last time with the sliding goal posts and this time with the analysis of a three year old. It is clear to me that when your opinion is challenged you stomp your feet and repeat nonsense that is irrelevant and useless.

Hes made up his mind on all the pieces the Canucks have even the untouchables. He's been wrong about every single one of them too. Wouldn't take him to seriously he clearly will benefit from this being wrapped up and moving on in the next few days.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Are you a used car salesman? You seem to be really trying to push Podkolzin as not being a nothing piece.

Again, he's a Sam Poulin caliber prospect. Very likely bottom-6 upside, maybe he can hit higher if it clicks, but he's far along in his development and has not shown to be NHL caliber yet. Considering he's also waiver eligible next year, his value is extremely low.

Podkolzin is in Derrick Pouliot territory starting next year if he doesn't show he's NHL ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad