Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1957 NDG house league Pee Wee, Saturday morning, Girouard or Oxford Park. A generation earlier at the same parks, Doug Harvey and other future NHLers started playing hockey.
0001957NDGPeeWee.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1957 NDG house league Pee Wee, Saturday morning, Girouard or Oxford Park. A generation earlier at the same parks, Doug Harvey and other future NHLers started playing hockey.View attachment 93553

What an awesome shot..... and rather elaborate with the boards which are actually angled in the corners & of what appears regulation height along with the extensions on top, chicken wired..... and thats all natural ice... actual league game..... I cant help but compare that to Toronto of the same era's, before & after, and no, we didnt have that in general though the private schools did, UCC, Brebeuf etc. Earlier some of the public High Schools in the Metro Toronto Municipality proper along with a few parks.

Our outdoor rinks where league play took place had artificial ice in almost all cases, curved corner boards, fencing completely surrounding on both sides & through the corners & backs; player benches & penalty boxes... Eventually many covered (Mitchell Field & York Mills in North York for eg).... Our outdoor natural ice surfaces were absolutely rudimentary & very basic. 4 boards high (planks 10 or 12"'s wide x 1" thick by 8' long) panels, square corners, no netting or fencing, no nothing, no goal nets or paint on the ice & used strictly for shinny. Most were full regulation size. Totally free of course though you might have to shovel snow every now & again. Semi-volunteers flooding, small stipend paid I believe. Remember the excitement as a kid every fall watching them set the boards up in the primary school's football & soccer field I attended.... winter soon upon us... hockey....

Reactions: SealsFan

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
1957 NDG house league Pee Wee, Saturday morning, Girouard or Oxford Park. A generation earlier at the same parks, Doug Harvey and other future NHLers started playing hockey.View attachment 93553

Kid on the far right lower corner. Hope he was ok. Taking a full on header into the boards

I wonder...looking at pictures like this if any of the actual kids we see playing ended up in the NHL?

Reactions: SealsFan

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
What an awesome shot..... and rather elaborate with the boards which are actually angled in the corners & of what appears regulation height along with the extensions on top, chicken wired..... and thats all natural ice... actual league game..... I cant help but compare that to Toronto of the same era's, before & after, and no, we didnt have that in general though the private schools did, UCC, Brebeuf etc. Earlier some of the public High Schools in the Metro Toronto Municipality proper along with a few parks.

Our outdoor rinks where league play took place had artificial ice in almost all cases, curved corner boards, fencing completely surrounding on both sides & through the corners & backs; player benches & penalty boxes... Eventually many covered (Mitchell Field & York Mills in North York for eg).... Our outdoor natural ice surfaces were absolutely rudimentary & very basic. 4 boards high (planks 10 or 12"'s wide x 1" thick by 8' long) panels, square corners, no netting or fencing, no nothing, no goal nets or paint on the ice & used strictly for shinny. Most were full regulation size. Totally free of course though you might have to shovel snow every now & again. Semi-volunteers flooding, small stipend paid I believe. Remember the excitement as a kid every fall watching them set the boards up in the primary school's football & soccer field I attended.... winter soon upon us... hockey....

City of Montréal Parks and Recreation, standard template / cookie cutter rink, natural ice, team boxes between blue and red line. The park building(visible), facilities, team rooms common area, small maintenance depot.

The grade school outdoor natural rinks, public and private varied in size, scaled to age or available space, round or diagonal corners.

Canadianna.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
original.png

Winnipeg Victorias (in dark sweaters) vs Toronto Eatons in an Allan Cup championship game in Winnipeg, 1911–12 season (March 1912). Victorias won the challenge series over two games: 8-4 and 16-1. Same year they also defeated Calgary AC (11-0 and 8-6) as well as the Regina Capitals (9-3) succesfully defending the Allan Cup.

HHOF right winger and WWI casualty Scotty Davidson played defense for the Calgary AC in 1911–12.

Winnipeg Victorias 1911–12 roster: Basil Baker (goal), Harold "Corky" Fowler (point), Les Moffat (cover point), Stephen "Coo" Dion (rover), Hammy Baker (right wing), Francis Caldwell (center), Fred "Guinea" Bawlf (left wing); spares: Charlie Belcher and Gordon Wickson.

Fowler, Moffat, Dion, H. Baker, Caldwell and Belcher all served in WWI, with Belcher being the only casualty. Dion was badly wounded though (had a steel plate put in his arm) in May 1915 and didn’t play any more hockey.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
hockette.jpg

ca 1921 – Hockette, the early pre-munro hockey game looks like a lot of fun...not
Well, at least the girl in the middle is excited, it's like she's watching something revolutionary

leo-b.jpg

1927 - Canadiens player Leo Bourgault (Bourgeault) tries to negotiate with a grumpy porcupine on the golf course

c-sands-down.jpg

December 31, 1938 - Bam ! - Who turned off the lights? - Charlie Sands is out cold. From left to right - Phil Watson - Jack Portland (# 8) - Ray Getliffe (# 6) - Babe Pratt (# 11) - Jack Crawford (with helmet) - Cooney Weiland (#7) and referee Norman Shay

brockton-mass.jpg

December 1940 - it's a great day for hockey in Brockton, Massachusetts

sugar-jim.jpg

1942 – Sugar Jim Henry – Hey, who said qualie equipment isn’t heavy?

0428_0038.jpg

1943-44 – Intense concentration on the Bruins bench - From left to right: Norm Calladine - Herb Cain - Yank Boyd - Bill Cowley - Jack Crawford and Bep Guidolin

f1266_it120324.jpg

November 15, 1947 – A young Gordie Howe and Gus Mortson in a physical battle

watson-harvey.jpg

1961-62 – Great looking outfits on coaches Phil Watson (left) and Doug Harvey

hp-at-home-cournoyer.jpg

ca 1964-65 – Too young for alcohol - Yvan Cournoyer makes a wise choice sticking to milk

fullsizeoutput_5447.jpeg

May 19, 1971 – Stanley Cup parade. Réjean Houle adding a bit of a feminine touch as he is waving to the crowd, ice cream in his hand and all. Phil Roberto, writing autographs looks like he has a severe dandruff issue. The reporter/photographer in the middle is angrily on the lookout for the guy who cut his $3 tie

marc-tardif.jpg

Ca 1972-73 – Fashion icon Marc Tardif looks like a cross between a young Freddie Mercury and Count Dracula

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
GettyImages-52758520-E.jpeg

February 2, 1954 - Gordie Howe, Dutch Reibel and Ted Lindsay of the Detroit Red Wings line up for the faceoff during an outdoor game against the Marquette Prison Pirates at the Marquette prison in Marquette, Michigan. By the end of the first period, the Red Wings were up 18-0. Red Wings goalie Terry Sawchuk switched sides for the second period and the scoreboard was abandoned for the remainder of the game. Later on Lindsay and Howe pulled on the Pirates’ jerseys as well. For the third period, Detroit staged an intra-squad game. (Picture credit: Bruce Bennett Studios/Getty Images)

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
10389242.jpg

October 3, 1973 - Bobby Hull shaking hands with Gordie Howe. The Winnipeg Jets and Houston Aeros played a pre-season game in the Maurice Richard Arena at Olympic Park in Montreal. The 1973-74 season would be Howe's first season in the WHA. The Aeros won the game 3-2.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Wow. I would love to know the context. Obviously in Europe but why is Larionov wearing Mogilny's number?

It was taken in Moscow in 1989 before Larionov left for Vancouver. I suppose he had been given a jersey by the Canucks and as they hadn't assigned him a number yet, they just put #89 after the year - something that Mogilny would get in Buffalo and then keep for the rest of his career.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
9310952.jpg

Now what's going on here? That Canuck in the background has the logo for the home whites on his jersey! And appears to have some patch on his shoulder that the other players don't have! Hmmm... a pre-season game perhaps with patched-up jerseys for the "scrubs" not likely to make the team? "V" design on the sleeve places this in 70-71 or 71-72...

I'll take a run at this. Sticking with your theory of preseason: Montreal and Vancouver didn't meet in either the 1971 or 1972 preseason. Teams making changes to their uniforms over the summer often wore last year's in preseason. That's Joc Guevremont on the right, he was drafted in 1971. I believe this game took place on either September 25 or 27th of 1973. Canucks won both games, btw. For sure the second one was in Vancouver. Strangely enough the Canuck in the background looks like a time-traveling Ryan Kesler, visor and all.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
^^^ Great shots DB.... Crozier..... unfortunately with Bob Pulford there wearing a grin & skating the other way... looks like the aftermath of a goal huh? :(

.... and Gilles Villemure, name I havent heard in decades. Long time Minor Leaguer who finally got his chance backing up Giacomin in 70/71... really shone. He & Eddie winning a Vezina. Villemure one of the better Stand-Up Goalies, somewhat unheralded. Treat to watch.

We knew who he was in Buffalo! :thumbu:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'll take a run at this. Sticking with your theory of preseason: Montreal and Vancouver didn't meet in either the 1971 or 1972 preseason. Teams making changes to their uniforms over the summer often wore last year's in preseason. That's Joc Guevremont on the right, he was drafted in 1971. I believe this game took place on either September 25 or 27th of 1973. Canucks won both games, btw. For sure the second one was in Vancouver. Strangely enough the Canuck in the background looks like a time-traveling Ryan Kesler, visor and all.

LOL; excellent!

Barry Wilkins, Henri Richard, Time Travelling Ryan Kessler, Chuck Lefley (I'm guessing), Jocelyn Geuvremont, and Andre Boudrias....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Ya, good one.... and no, not a good idea though I wouldve loved to have seen Williams get his clock cleaned by Robinson. Absolutely.... despised him... and me a Leaf fan... yet that guy. Wiener hot dog. :madfire:

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The beginning of the 90s for sure, Brodeur first went to F. Allaire's camp but it didn't work out, so instead he tried Tretiak who had came to work for the Blackhawks.

Another nice photo of greats of different countries and eras:

Plante-and-Tretiak.jpg

Plante, Tretiak

jacques-plante-has-a-conversation-with-vladislav-tretiak-of-the-to-picture-id162157684

Reactions: double5son10 and GB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad