OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Timbers is not a bad name in my opinion. A bit strange for a football club traditionally, but it's fine for North America.

GM17*

Sir Whiskeyface telling FA what to do - again.

rofl. almost as bad as pacman these days

How is Timbers different than any other North American league?

It's not. They're mostly all stupid. Never understood why we insist on naming teams by OFFICIAL nicknames except in the rare cases where there's multiple teams per city.

Last edited by a moderator:

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Personally I think Tottenham Hotspur is better than Tottenham FC.

I also think Queens Park Rangers is a very cool name.

Last edited:

GM17*

Hotspur was the name of the club, within Tottenham, that spawned the football club. Hence the name.

Not like they're The Tottenham Hotspurs.

Full name is Tottenham Hotspur FC anyways.

The wanderers are just the worst. Multiple teams w/ same name :S:S

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
It's not. They're mostly all stupid. Never understood why we insist on naming teams by OFFICIAL nicknames except in the rare cases where there's multiple teams per city.

Triple post, but I agree with this to an extent...

Even then, you don't really NEED official nicknames. Just look at London, where all the club names are after their neighborhoods or carry historical significance. Hell, just in the top four tiers, you have Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham Hotspur, Queens Park Rangers, Fulham, Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace, Millwall, Brentford, Leyton Orient, Dagenham & Redbridge, Barnet, and Wimbledon.

The only two clubs out of those fourteen that have "official nicknames" per se are Tottenham and QPR.

Now, back to the question of other leagues using official nicknames, I think soccer is a special case around the world where official nicknames just aren't necessary. Almost every other sport in England features teams with official nicknames. Just look at their rugby and hockey leagues.

Call me a snob, but, while I enjoy official nicknames in every other sport (See: New Jersey Devils, Green Bay Packers, Brooklyn Nets, and New York Yankees.) and do like some of the MLS names, they just don't really work in association football that well mostly because of the precedent established by European clubs. I dunno, that's just the way I think about it.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Switching from a Red Bulls supporter to a Cosmos supporter is almost as taboo as going from Arsenal to Liverpool

Liverpool didn't dissolve then re-form again. The Cosmos have their own history. It wouldn't shock me if the younger fans just stayed Red Bull supporters and the older fans who were fans back in the day jumped back to the Cosmos.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Liverpool didn't dissolve then re-form again. The Cosmos have their own history. It wouldn't shock me if the younger fans just stayed Red Bull supporters and the older fans who were fans back in the day jumped back to the Cosmos.

This.

My dad was a Cosmos supporter back in the day and, when talking about soccer and MLS, told me he would mostly likely support the new Cosmos.

GM17*

I wasn't calling him an idiot troll, was merely remarking on the seemingly "rah rah rah MY TEAM" (or conversly "boo boo boo the other team") fanboyism that plagues threads on our forum that contain diverse supporters. He just happens to be the worst of them in this thread xD

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The Cosmos thing is something that has been made a bit of a myth. I grew up in NJ and had never heard if the Cosmos up until ESPN did that documentary on them a few years ago. Obviously I am younger and they were before my time, so that skews perspective, but it does speak to how dead the brand was and probably doesn't have much equity as those who base their perception off the ESPN doc think.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Cosmos thing is something that has been made a bit of a myth. I grew up in NJ and had never heard if the Cosmos up until ESPN did that documentary on them a few years ago. Obviously I am younger and they were before my time, so that skews perspective, but it does speak to how dead the brand was and probably doesn't have much equity as those who base their perception off the ESPN doc think.

That's why I said the Cosmos are going to have a mostly older fanbase. Plus I'm sure there are some people who never really gravitated toward the MetroStars/Red Bulls cause they were a Jersey team that just 'branded' NY. At least the Cosmos played/will play in NY.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Well, a day when a player almost murdered another player is coming to an end. :sarcasm:

Anyone watching that and believes it was on purpose has not ever played soccer, that I can say.

Van P. anger is understood but his way of jumping guys should be a red. Both should have been sent off, however that would have been a larger penalty to United so ref chose to give yellow card instead. Well done actually.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Well, a day when a player almost murdered another player is coming to an end. :sarcasm:

Anyone watching that and believes it was on purpose has not ever played soccer, that I can say.

Van P. anger is understood but his way of jumping guys should be a red. Both should have been sent off, however that would have been a larger penalty to United so ref chose to give yellow card instead. Well done actually.

I totally missed this, what happened?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Almost killed by a ball hitting the head? I guess soccer itself needs to be banned then :sarcasm:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com

I totally missed this, what happened?

Almost killed by a ball hitting the head? I guess soccer itself needs to be banned then :sarcasm:

Bunch of ****ing divas at Man United.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad