OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
New management new direction. Never say never

So you're telling me to never say never when you just said never twice. Codswallup!

No, combine that with awful play, lack of commitment to the team, and gigantic salary and you get the worst DP in MLS history.

I agree.

I don't think it is

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
Official: USMNT to face Canada in friendly on Jan 29 in Houston. Not an official FIFA international date.

JetBlue, $278 to fly to Houston and back out of JFK. I'd consider going if I wasn't spending the first 11 days of January on vacation.

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
Hilarious coming from worst big signing in league history RT @JuanG_Arango Rafa Márquez said MLS was still "an amateur tournament."

He is usually anti-Red Bull but hit the nail on the head with this one

Pathetic. Dirty player, ******* Mexican. Typical Marquez.

Red Bulls start the season March 3 in Portland, home opener 16th against DC

Great way to open the season...horrible way to open the home schedule.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I think it is the other way around (in regards to your thoughts on the schedule). Opening on the turf in that atmosphere in Portland sucks. Henry might not even play because of the turf lol.

Opeing up the home schedule with a sellout against DC with revenge in order is awesome.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I think it is the other way around (in regards to your thoughts on the schedule). Opening on the turf in that atmosphere in Portland sucks. Henry might not even play because of the turf lol.

Opeing up the home schedule with a sellout against DC with revenge in order is awesome.

JELD-Wen is turf?

If the attendance from last year is any indication, I don't see it as a sellout. And I don't think we can beat DC.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Yea, Portland is turf.

And if my math is right Week 2 the Red Bulls have either a bye or are at; Philly, Houston, Seattle, Chivas or San Jose.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
JELD-Wen is turf?

If the attendance from last year is any indication, I don't see it as a sellout. And I don't think we can beat DC.

Why cant we beat DC? Theres plenty of offseason left but as of now, our roster is stronger. We can definitely win that game.

Also, its the home opener against our biggest rival. Im not saying that there will be 25k ppl in the stadium but I do think that itll be an announced sellout with 20kish there.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Yea, Portland is turf.

And if my math is right Week 2 the Red Bulls have either a bye or are at; Philly, Houston, Seattle, Chivas or San Jose.

That's interesting. I could have sworn that Portland was real grass in addition to their smaller pitch.

Why cant we beat DC? Theres plenty of offseason left but as of now, our roster is stronger. We can definitely win that game.

Also, its the home opener against our biggest rival. Im not saying that there will be 25k ppl in the stadium but I do think that itll be an announced sellout with 20kish there.

I just don't believe we can beat them. Its a mental thing. Plus If I send in my letter to get my ban lifted we'll probably lose because I haven't seen a win in person since like July or August.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Throw out the first of the 5 meetings last year and the series was virtually even last year. Plus the Red Bulls have at least 3 more roster moves coming, one probably being announced by end of the week. Plus the new management will make sure that game is sold out.

And if anyone wants a laugh, Seattle wants to host of the 5 hexagonal games. They have the same chance as Red Bull Arena. 0%

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Throw out the first of the 5 meetings last year and the series was virtually even last year. Plus the Red Bulls have at least 3 more roster moves coming, one probably being announced by end of the week. Plus the new management will make sure that game is sold out.

And if anyone wants a laugh, Seattle wants to host of the 5 hexagonal games. They have the same chance as Red Bull Arena. 0%

What about a coach? Is that anywhere in the plans?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
No idea what's going on there. I know the interview process started early December. If I had a call I'd just let Petke coach but I don't. :laugh:

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Yea, Portland is turf.

The Champions League teams have byes week 2 so the Red Bulls should be at one of those teams. My money is on Houston

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The Champions League teams have byes week 2 so the Red Bulls should be at one of those teams. My money is on Houston

Wait, isn't Houston still alive in CL? Hmm, I'll wager Chivas then. Doubt we see the lone trip to Philly that early in the year but could be wrong

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Great way to open the season...horrible way to open the home schedule.

Maybe from an on-field perspective, it might not be the best way to open the home schedule (tough rivalry matchup, always that possibility to lose against a quality team like that, etc). But I think its awesome for building excitement at the start of the season. Since its mid-March, we have a good shot its far from the best weather, but it could help the crowd if it happens to be cold. Hoping if nothing else this matchup will create a great atmosphere in the building to start the year. Its another story how long that will keep up, but its nice to have a good start with it.

Well, with the level of turnover on the Red Bulls roster, it could be a question of chemistry at that point. But that remains to be seen. Also we have to see who ends up as the starting 11, how they're using their bench, etc. The talent should be there, but they may not get the most out of it so quickly.

As long as the weather isn't terrible, I think there's a good chance to get near a sell out. I'm sure they'll announce one, but it may not be much of a lie to announce it this time around. Not to mention, I'm sure DC will be bringing a healthy amount of people. That may be what pushes it up to a legitimate sellout (or very very close).

No idea what's going on there. I know the interview process started early December. If I had a call I'd just let Petke coach but I don't. :laugh:

So you're saying they're not granting me an interview for that position? :( Although I did also tell Rob I would gladly throw on a "4" jersey and play center back... So maybe they're going to call me about that?

I don't think he was technically fired. I think his contract was up and the new regime wanted their own guy.

Yup. They chose not to pick up his option. Didn't need to go through the formality of firing him because of it. And honestly, I bet it was mutual to an extent anyway. Not that he wanted to be out of a job, but I'm pretty sure he felt it wasn't working out here any longer anyway.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Question.... RBNY's new execs preached about how they want to Americanize the team with younger players and a more American roster.... so now they've made around 10 signings/trades and got ALL foreign players lol

That makes sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad