OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Atlanta is pushing for an MLS team and their logo is a Silverback Gorilla. That's not asking for racist jokes or anything.
or a public outcry
Silverbacks. Apparently the Atlanta zoo just got some or something. Not exactly anything creative.

this team already exists and has for 14 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Silverbacks

there's no racist jokes or public outcry now. only reason there would be in the future is from people projecting racial connotations where there aren't any.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I know and people will do that. That's how America works. Most people aren't aware the team exists yet because it plays in a kiddie league.

It won't matter though because New York would get a third team before Atlanta gets one.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I know and people will do that. That's how America works. Most people aren't aware the team exists yet because it plays in a kiddie league.

It won't matter though because New York would get a third team before Atlanta gets one.

The league isn't ready for cities with 2 teams...

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
this team already exists and has for 14 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Silverbacks

there's no racist jokes or public outcry now. only reason there would be in the future is from people projecting racial connotations where there aren't any.

Call me a Eurosnob, but, as a whole, North American soccer clubs really do have the worst names in the sport.

For every good name, there's an equally **** one.

Portland Timbers: Good.
Los Angeles Galaxy: Bad.
Seattle Sounders: Good.
Montreal Impact: Bad.
Vancouver Whitecaps: Good.
San Jose Earthquakes: Bad.
New York Cosmos: Good.
Atlanta Silverbacks: Bad.
Colorado Rapids: Good.
Real Salt Lake: Bad.
Philadelphia Union: Good.
Tampa Bay Rowdies: Bad.

I rest my case.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Good thing nobody cares about your opinion and if you wanted an informed opinion on North American soccer names look at the team that existed pre-1950s.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I like the Galaxy...

Anyways, I dont really care about the names of sports teams unless they are over the top bad (see: New Orleans Pelicans).

Its just another way for Eurosnobs to pick on MLS. They always go after Real Salt Lake lol.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I like the Galaxy...

Anyways, I dont really care about the names of sports teams unless they are over the top bad (see: New Orleans Pelicans).

Its just another way for Eurosnobs to pick on MLS. They always go after Real Salt Lake lol.

Exactly. Having half the teams in a league just Name of City FC is just as bad. And MLS names are a thousand times better than NBA names.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
the city of macon, ga used to have a minor league hockey team called the macon whoopee. best name in sports?

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Because the Cosmos are from the 70s and are hipster-esque

I won't deny it.

Seeing as I'm strictly a Liverpool supporter when it comes to club soccer and only casually follow RBNY because they're the local professional side, I wouldn't put it beyond me to buy an article of Cosmos swag once the new NASL side makes the move to MLS.

The new Cosmos are going to have the hipster cred a la Brooklyn Nets.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Switching from a Red Bulls supporter to a Cosmos supporter is almost as taboo as going from Arsenal to Liverpool

And the Nets have no hipster cred. Anyone wearing that black and white "swag" is a toolbag

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Call me a Eurosnob, but, as a whole, North American soccer clubs really do have the worst names in the sport.

For every good name, there's an equally **** one.

Portland Timbers: Good.
Los Angeles Galaxy: Bad.
Seattle Sounders: Good.
Montreal Impact: Bad.
Vancouver Whitecaps: Good.
San Jose Earthquakes: Bad.
New York Cosmos: Good.
Atlanta Silverbacks: Bad.
Colorado Rapids: Good.
Real Salt Lake: Bad.
Philadelphia Union: Good.
Tampa Bay Rowdies: Bad.

I rest my case.

Some of the names you picked as "good" i would say are bad.

Resting your case means nothing.

GM17*

any nickname that's ACTUALLY the team's name is just bad.

"Timbers"

****ing really? lol

Not nearly as embarassing as american clubs using "Real" as a prefix though

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Liking or disliking team names is a matter of personal preference, and there's no accounting for taste.

Very few names are objectively bad to damn near everyone, like the Blue Jackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad