OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Let's put it this way, when he had that incident in the San Jose game there were members of the front office that pushed the league to suspend him for more than 3 games.

GM17*

I nearly found religion when Cristiano Ronaldo was sold off the island, so I assume I'd be plenty pissed off if Suarez was wearing my club's shirt.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Apparently Gary McCallister is pricing himself out of the Red Bulls coaching position. Awesome! There seems to be interest from Carloz Queiroz and Owen Coyle. Wynalda is also being intervewed for a position with the team. Ughh, I jus twant them to hire Steve Nicol.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I don't think they're going to call me back about the opening :( I have a proven track record in FIFA but I guess that's not good enough anymore?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I'm leading Hungary to the promise land in FIFA and my Bundesliga Ultimate team is nothing to **** with. Clearly they do not want to hire someone that is too good.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I'm leading Hungary to the promise land in FIFA and my Bundesliga Ultimate team is nothing to **** with. Clearly they do not want to hire someone that is too good.

I think the fact I didn't care enough to play my games leading the Belgium national team showed some indifference and was a poor showing for me as a candidate? I guess leading the MLS by 10+ points every year and easily winning every league title holds no weight anymore. Sad world we live in...

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I've only met one of the two but I can't imagine Suarez being a worse human being than Rafa.

I don't think Suarez is a bad human being, not at all. He was born piss poor, literally like nothing to eat poor. Guy had no shoes to play soccer with. Soccer was and is life and death for him, not a game. We can't relate to it, but it was the only way he could survive and have a real life. That's why he couldn't care less about people sitting in their TV sofa with chips and beer judging him "ooohhh he is such this and this ZOMG I don't want him on my team".

Plus, one thing should be said about diving in soccer. It will always be different from hockey because of the equipment. You are so unprotected in soccer. Sure, there is embellishment and that's bad. But many people don't realize that when one of those fullbacks or Rio Ferdinand-like players, tough, tough guys (I love how Ferdinand plays) come charging at you, they go at the ball, which is at your feet. Sometimes when they do this, you make a choice to move your legs out of the way, or you will get injured. It comes off as diving but it's really not. So, there is diving and there is diving. Players like Ronaldo and Suarez are constantly hacked at, if it wasn't for them having some skills at preventing injury by "diving" to a certain degree there would not be much left of them.

Doesn't take away the fact that both are pretty bad divers but there is more to it.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It's still diving. Elite athletes like that should have better balance, even if they are trying to avoid tackles. Or they can man up and take the hit.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
The first 4-5 hours of my day is sitting in front of a TV and watching soccer. As much as I wanted to watch Tottenham (as they were on Fox Soccer), 7:45 AM just doesn't happen on a Saturday. I'm glad Man U/WBA is a close match. Man City/WBA hasn't been...

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I would say more like Danny Briere.

I don't think I'd trade for Briere either...Hes a Black-pit on the defensive side of the puck.

And that's a nice sob story Vaxjo. But He goes down easier then a hooker at a bachelor party...you could flick his nose and he'd crumple to the ground screaming because he thinks its broken lol

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't think I'd trade for Briere either...Hes a Black-pit on the defensive side of the puck.

And that's a nice sob story Vaxjo. But He goes down easier then a hooker at a bachelor party...you could flick his nose and he'd crumple to the ground screaming because he thinks its broken lol

Ilya Kovalchuk was a defensive train wreck when the Devils acquired him. But before we stray too far...

I don't agree with what Vaxjo said. Does Suarez dive? Yes. Does he do it more often than his peers? That's debatable. He gets more attention than many of them because he is more talented. More talented athletes in any sport are the ones under the magnifying glass.

Diving is a tactic of footballers everywhere. The penalties it brings put teams at an advantage. If everyone on your team were boy scouts and didn't go to ground, you would be at a disadvantage. That doesn't make it any less frustrating to watch, though.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Im sorry vaxjo but thats just ridiculous.

No it's not. Some diving is pure embellishment, some "diving" is pulling your legs. You have no idea the beating the legs of a top forward gets, apparently.

For example, once a Ronaldo or a Messi (who dives very little because he is quicker than anybody else) gets within one or two yards of the line of the box, the chances of a defender aiming at the legs before he reaches the box is at least 80%. It's a freekick you will choose to take as a defender. They know it's coming, and they go down quite easily. Is that a dive? On the contrary, within the box, defenders are so afraid of touching anybody so there is tons of real diving there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad