OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Obviously I'm upset but at the same time it was hard not to see this coming. Sure we've played Bayern well this year, and it showed today in a very tight contest that came down to the wire. But the fact is Bayern is just too strong a team and they deserved to win this year for sure. I don't like to play the what if game, but still I think the game would have been much better if Götze was playing (and I still think he could have, but that's neither here nor there as he isn't a Dortmund player anymore) and if Hummels was fully fit. Especially the last one as it was obvious Hummels struggled today and he is such a catalyst defensively for us.

The one thing I wanted to ask around here on other people's opinions, because I am still learning about the game, but I thought for sure Dante would get his 2nd yellow for his foul or Reus. It is a big statement to make for the ref in such an important game, so I could understand him not giving him the yellow if it was a call that could go either way. But I mean, a kick to the stomach just seems like a yellow card to me, and I think if Dante already didn't get a yellow before he would have gotten one there. Anyway, I won't pout about this game for much longer because at the end of the day it was a close game against a much stronger side.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
$40 field seats on Stubhub for today's Red Bulls game. I know last year those seats had free alcohol with them, not sure if they still do though

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Chedda - it is a yellow card no matter the situation. It is also a penalty no matter the situation.

I understand a ref not wanting to make the end of the match about himself but that was really his only mistake of the match.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Lost in all the UCL , Neymar has signed for Barcelona.

Aha yeaa, my friend brought it up to before the finals and for only 25m Euros I believe too, great price for a player of Neymar's caliber. Also, Jupp hinted towards Lewandowski joining Bayern next season, which I found disgusting of him to do so hours after they beat us in the final. But unless Bayern pays a massive transfer fee I don't see how we could give Lewandowski up, let alone to rival such as Bayern that already took Götze from us.

And another little bit of transfer news, Lukaku said that if he were to be loaned out again that he would like the loan to be to Dortmund. I personally feel that he will make Chelsea's squad next year but that's just my opinion.

Chedda - it is a yellow card no matter the situation. It is also a penalty no matter the situation.

I understand a ref not wanting to make the end of the match about himself but that was really his only mistake of the match.

Okay, and that's what I wanted clarification on. I wasn't sure if it could go either way in terms of being given a penalty because it's not like Dante's intent was to kick him in the stomach, the ball was close, but it was still a very poor challenge. Anyways, no point in mourning over that one mistake as the ref still did a superb job and the better team did win.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
According to Lewy's agent his move to Bayern is a done deal. Firstly, Bayern are the biggest ****ers in the league for going after all our players and then claiming they want the Bundesliga to be more competitive. But also, unless the transfer fee Bayern pay for Lewy is a gross over-payment I don't see how Klopp and Zorc will allow it. Surely other teams like ManU and Arsenal are also interested in getting him and even if the price is slightly lower I'd have to think it would be a much better move.

I don't want to see Lewy move this transfer window but it's better to get something for him I suppose than nothing at all.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They should just take all the top European teams and make a 20 team league out of them.

Not serious, but still sort of a fun idea. What teams would you have?

Neymar is NOT going to fit in at Barca.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
They should just take all the top European teams and make a 20 team league out of them.

Not serious, but still sort of a fun idea. What teams would you have?

Neymar is NOT going to fit in at Barca.

This list is not in any order (Just naming teams off the top of my head)

Manchester United
Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Athletico Madrid
Malaga
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
PSG
Marseille
Lyon
Zenit
Ajax
AC Milan
Juventus
Napoli
Tottenham
FC Porto

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
some others that could make a case

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (point behind Dortmund in the league)
Valencia (better than Malaga imo + with their coach and possibly Isco leaving)
Schalke 04
Benfica
Shakhtar Donetsk

I'm not that high on any of the French teams except PSG, OM and Lyon haven't been really impressive. Neither has Zenit to me also. Athletico Madrid - with Falcao leaving I'm not sure how much of a impact it will have either.

depending on their seasons next year Inter and Liverpool.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Of those five you listed, Kensu, all are better than Ajax and Porto right now. That said, I'd understand if they wanted representation from many countries.

I think this idea was bandied about before, called the Big-14 or something.

I like CSKA, myself.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
A case for Monaco can easily be made for this upcoming season with the likes of Falcao, Moutinho, Rodriguez, possibly Coentrao, and maybe others joining the team.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
That's true, but I don't know if they got a new owner or something but clearly they have been given leeway to spend large amounts of money. They won't be a top class team right away but they could be borderline top 20.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Monaco used to be a powerhouse in the late 90s. It's where Henry got his start. In 2002 they brought in the man that is now the Red Bulls GM and well he didn't exactly get the job done there. Bringing in Freddy Adu didn't help

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Milan, Inter, Juventus, Chelsea, Everton, Real Madrid, Valencia and LA Galaxy are gonna play in a single elimination tournament this summer in the US. Host cities are LA, Phoenix, San Francisco, NY and Indianapolis. Final is in Miami

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Milan, Inter, Juventus, Chelsea, Everton, Real Madrid, Valencia and LA Galaxy are gonna play in a single elimination tournament this summer in the US. Host cities are LA, Phoenix, San Francisco, NY and Indianapolis. Final is in Miami

That's an interesting group for a tournament. The negotiations for getting that together must have been crazy.

I kind of love how mixed up tournaments like that are only possible in soccer. In what other sport could you get random teams from four countries to play in a tournament?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad