OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Apparently my mom knows his mom and sees her every now and then.

Anyways, good for him. He just played with the U-18s (I believe) in Portugal and he potentially has a future with the USMNT..if he chooses USA over Poland that is.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Apparently my mom knows his mom and sees her every now and then.

Anyways, good for him. He just played with the U-18s (I believe) in Portugal and he potentially has a future with the USMNT..if he chooses USA over Poland that is.

Same here, our families are good friends.

Yea he hasnt really chosen yet in terms of international. . Yes he just played in the U-18s for the USA.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just realized Brazil is #19 in FIFA rankings.

Can I assume this is just another failure on the part of their near universally criticized ranking system?

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Hes really proud of his polish heritage. If I had to take a guess, he would go with Poland if he got the chance.

Ill take your word for it. I assume it would mean a lot to his family.

Still, it's the USA that gave his parents the opportunity to be where they are and it's the USA that is allowing him to play on an international level now.

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
Colombia at #6? trying to remember what they've done.

edit: like some of the new countries rising though, it's a pretty nice change seeing teams like Croatia, Switzerland, and etc improving and developing their young players well.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Still, it's the USA that gave his parents the opportunity to be where they are and it's the USA that is allowing him to play on an international level now.

Exactly. All I can do is laugh at the critics when kids that play up to U-20 for us then play for their heritage. Then people ask why the Americans can't develop talent when the players we develop bolt on us.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Ill take your word for it. I assume it would mean a lot to his family.

I wouldnt be surprised either way. Those are the 2 countries I generally root for, soo whatever he decides is best, its his choice

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Exactly. All I can do is laugh at the critics when kids that play up to U-20 for us then play for their heritage. Then people ask why the Americans can't develop talent when the players we develop bolt on us.

Isnt it fair to say that that trade has gone the other way more often? (i.e. more people who have had a cup of tea in America play for the US team than native born Americans playing for England, Columbia, Poland, Croatia, Nigeria, Spain etc...).

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Has the US plucked away a player of Subotic's ability? America's backline would improve immensely with him back there but he left after the youth level. I can't think of many impact Americans that played for other country's youth levels.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
New York Red Bulls ‏@NewYorkRedBulls 6m
.@nhldevils How about a fair trade? Voting ends tonight for Henry's Goal of the Week nomination http://win.gs/12Lz06X #NHL14Brodeur

New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 24s
Fair trade @NewYorkredBulls get your fans to RT your tweet using #NHL14Brodeur & we'll have ours vote for Henry here: http://win.gs/Zwto3G

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
I recognize Matt Miazga from somewhere, he was born in Clifton same place where I'm from.

edit: he even goes to the same high school I use to go to

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just realized Brazil is #19 in FIFA rankings.

Can I assume this is just another failure on the part of their near universally criticized ranking system?

That's a major lol (most likely because Brazil really hasn't played an important match in almost three years other than the Confed Cup I guess)...but Brazil's ranking really doesn't matter for the next year plus since they're automatically qualified for the next World Cup anyway and going to be in the same pool with the top seeded teams.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
That's a major lol (most likely because Brazil really hasn't played an important match in almost three years other than the Confed Cup I guess)...but Brazil's ranking really doesn't matter for the next year plus since they're automatically qualified for the next World Cup anyway and going to be in the same pool with the top seeded teams.

Yea, Brazil hasn't been playing in WCQ's so their inactivity has caused them to not gain points.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Has the US plucked away a player of Subotic's ability? America's backline would improve immensely with him back there but he left after the youth level. I can't think of many impact Americans that played for other country's youth levels.

Jermaine Jones did a bit, I know Chandler didn't. Fabian Johnson played German youth, Danny Williams just a tiny bit for Germany under 15.

We have a lot of Germany C-team players.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Jermaine Jones did a bit, I know Chandler didn't. Fabian Johnson played German youth, Danny Williams just a tiny bit for Germany under 15.

We have a lot of Germany C-team players.

Exactly. The guys we steal come us to us because they can't cut it on the bigger teams. We lose guys that could put us to the next level. Hell even having Di Rossi would be big. Although Di Rossi never played for a US youth squad but whatever.

Speaking of Jones though, Schalke is looking at Altidore. Would be cool to have 2 Americans on a Champions League team.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Brazil has dropped in the rankkngs because they have been poor*. Add the lack of important matches and its what you get.

Brazil will not play like a 19th ranked country at the Confed Cup.

*Poor for Brazil standards that is.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Luis Suarez has just confirmed he wants to leave Liverpool.

I expect AS Monaco to be all over this

I bet the fans are thrilled.

Suarez would, of course, be a great striker on any team, the question is who wants to put up with him? PSG? They're rumored for Rooney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad