OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't know if it's set in stone, but Chelsea and Bayer Leverkusen have a deal in place to send Shurrle to Chelsea for a transfer fee of 20m Euros and for De Bruyne to go on a season loan at BL.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I don't know if it's set in stone, but Chelsea and Bayer Leverkusen have a deal in place to send Shurrle to Chelsea for a transfer fee of 20m Euros and for De Bruyne to go on a season loan at BL.

Saw that

Also saw that Manchester United is close to signing Kevin Strootman

Transfer Gossip ‏@BarclaysBible 28 May
Exclusive: PSV midfield maestro Kevin Strootman is on the verge of completing a sensational £17.1m move to Manchester United (CaughtOffside)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Saw that

Also saw that Manchester United is close to signing Kevin Strootman

Transfer Gossip ‏@BarclaysBible 28 May
Exclusive: PSV midfield maestro Kevin Strootman is on the verge of completing a sensational £17.1m move to Manchester United (CaughtOffside)

Nice, I think that would be a nice pickup for them but obviously you'd know better than I would :laugh: Where do you think Rooney ends up?

Edit: Literally, as soon as I hit send I saw this:

Transfer NOW ‏@Transfer_NOW 1m
Paris St-Germain confirm that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney can name his own terms for a £30m move to France. #MUFC

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Nice, I think that would be a nice pickup for them but obviously you'd know better than I would :laugh: Where do you think Rooney ends up?

Edit: Literally, as soon as I hit send I saw this:

Transfer NOW ‏@Transfer_NOW 1m
Paris St-Germain confirm that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney can name his own terms for a £30m move to France. #MUFC

I like the Strootman . We need to improve our midfield and he is a very solid young midfielder. I would think Moyes would want to sign 2 midfielders. Strootman and Fellaini would be my guesses

Rooney I would expect to go to either PSG or Bayern

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like the Strootman . We need to improve our midfield and he is a very solid young midfielder. I would think Moyes would want to sign 2 midfielders. Strootman and Fellaini would be my guesses

Rooney I would expect to go to either PSG or Bayern

Well as long as you like the signing than it sounds like a good one aha. And I don't know if you saw this but Klopp had an interview about a week or 2 ago where he spoke about Kagawa. This is the quote I found about it:

"Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and he now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United - on the left wing! My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes. Central midfield is Shinji's best role. He's an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw."

For ManU's sake I hope Moyes lets Kagawa play as a CM.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Well as long as you like the signing than it sounds like a good one aha. And I don't know if you saw this but Klopp had an interview about a week or 2 ago where he spoke about Kagawa. This is the quote I found about it:

"Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and he now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United - on the left wing! My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes. Central midfield is Shinji's best role. He's an offensive midfielder with one of the best noses for goal I ever saw."

For ManU's sake I hope Moyes lets Kagawa play as a CM.

Yea I saw it and yea I agree lol

If Rooney leaves , we wont sign another striker IMO. Play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 and have RVP up top with Kagawa right behind him

Our #1 need is to get wingers. Valencia and Young were awful this year and Nani is on his way out. Zaha unproven in the BPL

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Rooney wouldn't be the point striker in Bayern's German 4-5-1, though. He'd take Muller's spot (nonsense, because Muller is exceptional) as the withdrawn forward/ center attacking midfielder.

Guys like Muller and Kroos are too good to languish on the bench, though.

What comes of a guy like Lavezzi if Rooney goes to PSG? Seems odd that a player oft considered the 3rd best in the world would go to PSG at age 27.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yea I saw it and yea I agree lol

If Rooney leaves , we wont sign another striker IMO. Play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 and have RVP up top with Kagawa right behind him

Our #1 need is to get wingers. Valencia and Young were awful this year and Nani is on his way out. Zaha unproven in the BPL

I heard Moyes might want to bring in Landon Donovan to play wing at Man United. Seems outlandish, but its a rumor.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With all these big name guys moving around, almost makes you wish MLS would lift the salary cap.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I heard Moyes might want to bring in Landon Donovan to play wing at Man United. Seems outlandish, but its a rumor.

No thanks. Rather get better or younger options

Aside from the obvious guys I would want, Bale and Ronaldo

Guys like Nicolas Gaitan, Viktor Fischer , Erik Lamela.

(My top 2 choices already signed. Rodriguez was #1 on my list and Di Maria was #2.)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, any team in the world wants Bale right now. Not too many great left wingers, Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo, and Podolski are amongst the very best.

If Man United would actually play him in his proper position, Podolski could be a good, affordable option at left midfield.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah, any team in the world wants Bale right now. Not too many great left wingers, Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo, and Podolski are amongst the very best.

If Man United would actually play him in his proper position, Podolski could be a good, affordable option at left midfield.

I dont think Arsenal will sell United players anymore :laugh:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
With all these big name guys moving around, almost makes you wish MLS would lift the salary cap.

Wouldn't make a difference for guys of this caliber. Not every team uses their 3 DPs, so the cap argument isn't an excuse for the overwhelming majority of teams. Really only NY and LA would be able to afford guys remotely near the caliber you're talking about, but they still wouldn't come here so its pointless.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The MLS isn't stable enough to lift the cap. NY, LA, Seattle, Portland and possibly Montreal would run away from the rest of the league. The cap has done an amazing job to make MLS the most even league in the world by far.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Ive been thinking if the MLS, and by extension USSoccer, would benefit from an August-May schedule.

The major international tournaments are held in June and July for the most part and with the USMNT being split between Europe and MLS, you have players essentially playing "year round" with little or less rest compared to some others.

Just a thought.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Have fun playing January games in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Boston, New York, Chicago, Denver, Salt Lake and DC. Toronto and Montreal don't even use their outdoor stadiums for March and April games.

It would be ideal in a perfect world but it would turn into a league full of turf fields which would scare off the European marquee players.

Last edited:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Ive been thinking if the MLS, and by extension USSoccer, would benefit from an August-May schedule.

The major international tournaments are held in June and July for the most part and with the USMNT being split between Europe and MLS, you have players essentially playing "year round" with little or less rest compared to some others.

Just a thought.

I don't know if the league would be as much of a draw. In this country, sports are too convoluted in the fall/winter. I really don't think they could survive going up against baseball playoffs, all of hockey, all of basketball, the middle/end of NCAA football, middle/end/playoffs of the NFL, etc. They get a little more attention in the summer when most of those are not active. And the benefit of prime weather months can only help to draw people in. I don't know if the league has the popularity to really do too well during the heart of winter in this country. People sit through the cold and snow for football, but I question if they will for soccer. There aren't enough southern based teams to say that won't be an issue, and there is some precedent of snow getting in the way of playing games as it is (Red Bulls/DC last November, USA/Costa Rica this spring, etc).

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Selling players is fine. You just need to use that money to help improve your team

I'm well aware. Selling players is an integral part of football, and you can't expect anybody to stick around for longer than a couple years anymore. What I mean is that Arsene makes bad sales to the wrong clubs. He used to be a shrewd manager, but he has clearly slipped.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad