OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Red Bulls to host Reading United in the US Open next Wednesday at 7:30. All tickets are $15

Wanna go but US plays at 8 that day. If the tix were free I'd be there but otherwise I think Ill just watch both games at home.

RB needs to drop NY from its name.

Its really that simple. Enter into some sort of partnership with the Devils to advertise during their offseason would go a long way.

Its damn near impossible to get excited for a "NY" team that has NEVER played in NY. Just get over it RB. No one cares that Manchester isnt part of London. Build the brand.

Not gonna happen for a handful of reasons. Anyways, they are doing pretty well for themselves and will continue to do so even with NY2 in the mix, I reckon.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Oh poop, forgot about that. Actually slightly considered driving out to Cleveland for that game to watch a couple Spurs players.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I was thinking of driving down for the Germany match on the 2nd but idk. Ill probly end up going to the Vancouver game on the 1st and not go Sunday. RFK sucks

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I think cheapest tix are 38. Its just idk what the view is from those seats. If Im driving more than 2 hours to a ****** stadium it better be for a meaningful game, you know

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Haha I really want to as well. That's gonna be sick. I just gotta make sure school/hockey isn't in the way. A few of my buds would prob want to go, at least one for sure. If you'd be goin alone we could head out together if you wanted to. It's a while away but whatever haha it's my dream to go to a US/Mexico match (in Mexico but Colombus would do).

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Yea, I'll keep in touch. Hopefully I'll have a fulltime job by then and it's not feasible for me to go but not holding my breath :laugh:

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Haha hope it works out for you. Looking at it now, I didn't realize its a Tuesday. Classes would have to be skipped but that may just need to happen.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Not gonna happen for a handful of reasons. Anyways, they are doing pretty well for themselves and will continue to do so even with NY2 in the mix, I reckon.

You cant build up a "New York Derby" when one team is not even part of it.

The best way to build it up is to drop the name. There is a legit NY team now so focus on the ****ing state that has hosted your club since 1996 for ****s sake.

They are doing well because there is no NY competition. The Yankees combined with the oil money combined with ACTUALLY BEING IN NYC will smash anything RedBull has tried since rebranding the team.

God forbid RBNY doesnt win anything in the next couple of years.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Most of the fans are from NJ anyways. And for some New Yorkers, RBA is easier to get to than Queens which is where their stadium will probably be. And its not like NYRB doesn't have money. With a salary cap league, Red Bull has just as much to spend as Oil/Yanks. I don't see the team losing many fans at all. And in five years time, I expect season ticket holder numbers to go up and the fanbase to grow as fans get older. As you alluded to, winning something would help though.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Most of the fans are from NJ anyways. And for some New Yorkers, RBA is easier to get to than Queens which is where their stadium will probably be. And its not like NYRB doesn't have money. With a salary cap league, Red Bull has just as much to spend as Oil/Yanks. I don't see the team losing many fans at all. And in five years time, I expect season ticket holder numbers to go up and the fanbase to grow as fans get older. As you alluded to, winning something would help though.

I'm not talking about buying players here. Yeah, RB has a ton of money too but they don't have the local pull that the Yankees have because they aren't a local brand. Manchester City was unbelievably smart to partner with them.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I'm not talking about buying players here. Yeah, RB has a ton of money too but they don't have the local pull that the Yankees have because they aren't a local brand. Manchester City was unbelievably smart to partner with them.

I agree with that. They have sucked in terms of marketing and maybe this will make them step it up.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
RB needs to drop NY from its name.

Its really that simple. Enter into some sort of partnership with the Devils to advertise during their offseason would go a long way.

Its damn near impossible to get excited for a "NY" team that has NEVER played in NY. Just get over it RB. No one cares that Manchester isnt part of London. Build the brand.

Their problem isn't the name. Their problem is in how they promote it. Yes, they should cater more to their NJ base, and I totally agree with the middle part (its dumb not to utilize some partnership there given their proximity alone). But dropping NY is a step backwards marketing wise. For people in the area and people outside of it, the NY being there only helps. It will only help the rivalry with NYC FC just by having that in there too. Physical location and name differences are overrated. It makes no difference for the Jets and Giants that they still have NY in their name and do not play or even practice/have facilities there anymore. I know they both used to play in NY, and until a few years ago, the Jets still had offices/practiced there. But the point remains that aside from small portions of training camp, these two teams are entirely NJ based. But people deal with it. Its the same deal here too. The issue isn't how RB wants to be New York. Its how they make an effort to try not to be NJ that is the problem.

Considering that too but Scott and I didn't know if we would want to make that drive the morning after working a Red Bull game

Yup. We got too lazy with buying tickets and making a decision and it just didn't happen. Works out for the best because I have a wedding to go to that day and I am never upset about attending an open bar.

Winning something would help. Both teams being competitive will help. Those things will help more than just the mere proximity. The Red Bulls have a prime opportunity right now to make the most out of the next 1.5-2 years to really build something before NYC FC ever steps on the field. NYC FC will make a lot of news in the next 2 years, but that only goes so far. The ball is entirely in the Red Bulls court to solidify and grow a fan base. They'll do fine, no matter how good NYC FC is... as long as they aren't stupid. Judging by history though... I still have to question whether or not they will be.

I'm making the trip down for the USA game. Sitting with the American Outlaws :yo:

The opportunity to do so was almost what got me there despite the scheduling difficulties. Only been to two USMNT matches (both with AO) and they were great, despite the outcomes. They're just not in the area enough to really get that experience so I was totally up for it. Just didn't work out this time. Still debating whether or not I'll take a trip for one of the Gold Cup matches just to go to an AO event again.

I agree with that. They have sucked in terms of marketing and maybe this will make them step it up.

They have all of the tools and resources to have zero reason to panic. I hope they're too oblivious to realize that and do panic. Because that's what its going to take for them to make the necessary changes and protect their brand/place in the market. They can totally be bypassed if they screw this up, although they shouldn't be.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Time to put my Jersey on.

Not my jersey. Certainly not my kit.

My Jersey.

We were here first. Did you hear that, NYCFC? We were here first, in Jersey, where we have basically owned the game of soccer since the first time a ball was kicked on these shores. So, even with your Manchester City and New York Yankee owners, you don't frighten us, not even a little.

We welcome you to MLS, you and your five initials. You and your "Football." You and your "Club." You and what we're sure is going to be a bunch of splashy signings and, surely, hip celebrity fans. Welcome to the league.

Welcome to the rivalry.

Because I think I speak on behalf of my home state when I say, "It's on." I don't think we ever felt comfortable trying to act like big shots, because it's not our nature. We're better here when we have a chip on our shoulder. And now we've got one, and it's you NYCFC.

I hope I'm speaking on behalf of my fellow Jersey soccer friends. I hope I'm speaking on behalf of Mooch Myernick – may he rest in peace – and guys like him who grinded it out on the fields long before anyone thought, or cared, about getting paid to play soccer. Guys like John Harkes (right), Tony Meola, Tab Ramos and Peter Vermes. Guys like Tommy Kain and George Gelnovatch. Guys like Richie Williams and Stevie Rammel.

It's not important to us that the Red Bulls are called "New York," just like it's not important that the Giants are called "New York." There's New York, New York, and there's New York, New Jersey, if that makes sense.

Today, the Red Bulls are officially New York, New Jersey. If you're a New Yorker and you've supported the club, by all means, stay with them. But understand, you cannot like the team that's going to try and take the market by storm. You can't like them at all.

READ: New York City FC name Claudio Reyna as director of football operations

Oh, they're going to try and entice you with a lot of stuff, this NYCFC team. But all that's going to do is tick you off. You're going to dig in and remember where you came from.

You're going to remember the rainy nights at Giants Stadium, and there were many. You're going to remember thinking Sasa Curcic was the answer and that Sergio Galván Rey was truly going to be the King of Goals. You're going to remember how you watched Roberto Donadoni and Youri Djorkaeff at the end of their storied careers, and saw Eddie Gaven, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley at the beginning of theirs.

And you're going to cling to that, and remind others that they were there with you, too (even if they weren't). You're going to remember that first walk to Red Bull Arena, the stadium that was built in Harrison, a town where soccer has ruled since … well … forever.

It hasn't been an easy ride. You've seen a lot of players and coaches pass through in the last 18 years. You survived a couple of changes in ownership. You've endured head-scratching trades, not to mention incredible own goals and penalty kick encroachments.

But the point is you've endured.

Only now there's a threat on the way. Can't you hear them now, singing songs they'll surely steal from "Citeh?" Can't you sense they're already entitled and arrogant?

Sure you can, and, guess what? This is exactly what we needed. You won't have to deal with them until 2015, but it makes sense to prepare now. Red Bulls vs. NYCFC. It's on.

As we like to say on this side of the river: Are you ready? Or what?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/22/jeff-bradley-jersey-fans-rooting-nycfc-you-kiddin-me

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Nice article. Should be fun in a couple of years, but for now let's get on with the season. We are in first place and look as good as we ever have since I've been a fan.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Guess that makes me the soccer equivalent of an upstate NY, NJ Devils fan. Odd, but there you go.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
oh damn. magee is solid and you know what youre getting with him. rogers on the other hand is injured often and has been away from the game for a little bit. at his best he isn't that good anyway

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
That sounds familiar...

Except one isn't and won't ever play in MLS

oh damn. magee is solid and you know what youre getting with him. rogers on the other hand is injured often and has been away from the game for a little bit. at his best he isn't that good anyway

I think Chicago made out like a bandit in this trade. Rodgers is still probably a few weeks away and Magee has been having a career year. Interesting to see if it's enough for Chicago to get back into the fight for the last playoff spot in the east.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Pretty good CL final today. Thought Dante should have been shown a second yellow but whatever. Bayern earned it in the second half

Eastern conference is not very good...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad