PGT: Gold Medal Game - May 21 - Canada (1) vs Sweden (2) (SO) Part II

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Nylander puts a nice little bow on top of the incredible year that the Leafs rookies have had!

Marner won OHL MVP, CHL player of the year, Memorial Cup MVP this time last year and followed it up with a great rookie season. Nylander just won WHC MVP and Matthews about to win the Calder in a month.

Great stuff from the Holy Trinity.

These guys are going to be superstars soon enough (Matthews is already).

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
It's not a best on best tournament as everyone knows. But the fact that the medal distribution between countries pretty well matches with the best-on-best tournaments probably means the loss of players is about equal for most teams.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
Is there a link for this?

No, there was an interview right after the game on swedish tv.

He said it was really unclear if he could play at all just a few hours before the game. And he was hummed by it in the 2nd and 3rd period, and then there were OT and SO after that, he laughed.

He's the king 4 sure. :thumbu:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Can't believe nobody on the Swedish broadcast even mentioned the OEL story. His mother passed away not long ago and he ended his season early, decided to play at the WC, didn't play well at first but was an absolute stud when it mattered the most and scored in the SO. Such a likeable personality.

Damn not heard of that... all respect to OEL

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Versus:

Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Weber, Letang, Giordano, Subban, Burns, Price, Getzlaf...

I mean, there's a pretty big gap between the players Sweden was missing and Canada was missing.

Make a team out of the players Canada is missing, versus the players Sweden is missing, and Canada probably wins by 10+.

It's irrelevant who was missing what players. Neither team was fielding their A squad.

What matters is that yet another title was handed out by not playing hockey.

KalmarKnights

May 11, 2012
Can't believe nobody on the Swedish broadcast even mentioned the OEL story. His mother passed away not long ago after a long battle with cancer and he ended his season early, decided to play at the WC, didn't play well at first but was an absolute stud when it mattered the most and scored in the SO. Such a likeable personality.
Well put, he was excellent in the final and honestly I can't think of a single Swedish player who played poorly.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
After 80 minutes of more or less even hockey, would 1 goal in the 2nd OT period really make that team better ? Especially if it's a fluke bounce or something like that.

This game was already at a point that even it OT it was a coin flip.. Chances both ways, just a matter of time before someone cashed in and it could've been either team.

If you really want to know which team were better then you'd have to play a best of 7 series.

Congrats to Sweden for winning the gold. Always fun to see someone beating Canada even when they play their best.

Overtime is hockey. Shootouts are not.

Simple as that.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Was a fun game to watch.
To bad it had to be decided that way. Screw the TV-networks and their schedules. Have ovetime until someone scores.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Hmm, just realised Sweden had one pair of brothers (Klingberg) and one pair of twins (Lundqvists) I wonder when that happened last. Did Sweden have any brothers in 2013 along with the Sedins?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well Canada no gold in junior WC and no gold tonight...Russia/ CCCP still owns you for the most golds at tournament ( 27 )

And of course the only goal you get tonigt is a filming another easy penalties given to Canada ....we have seen it before many times

All hail Sweden and King Henrik :)

I have to say watching Canada tonight i really really cant belive how Russia with so much better offensive than Sweden could not crush them last night..oh they got from the end of the second and in the 3 periode 4 penalties against them thats right and Belov with a 2 x 10 min...

If Canada wins gold this year, it will tie Russia for the most all-time golds at this tournament (27), if you include the Soviet Union era and Olympics that counted as World Championship results.

Lol....go ahead and count when Russia had men playing against teenagers.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
No, there was an interview right after the game on swedish tv.

He said it was really unclear if he could play at all just a few hours before the game. And he was hummed by it in the 2nd and 3rd period, and then there were OT and SO after that, he laughed.

He's the king 4 sure. :thumbu:

Certainly the King. After royally choking against Ottawa, he was stellar vs Calvin Pickard and Canada's C team in a gold medal game shootout no less

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Certainly the King. After royally choking against Ottawa, he was stellar vs Calvin Pickard and Canada's C team in a gold medal game shootout no less

Lundqvist did not choke against Senators. He was phenomenal against Montreal and did pretty well against Sens too.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Can't believe nobody on the Swedish broadcast even mentioned the OEL story. His mother passed away not long ago after a long battle with cancer and he ended his season early, decided to play at the WC, didn't play well at first but was an absolute stud when it mattered the most and scored in the SO. Such a likeable personality.

Poor guy. He is young too at 25. Too early to lose his parents. It will take a long time to get over that but at least he got some happiness from this tournament.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Overtime is hockey. Shootouts are not.

Simple as that.

Well i see a puck, hockey stick, skates, goalie, net, ice.. looks like hockey to me.

No but seriously i know what you mean dude, but 80 mins of hockey in a 1-game elimination format, might as well end it in a SO. There's always going to be people saying they got screwed whether it was a bad bounce or bad call or whatever and people who say "it was just one game we were the better team you know it".

What im trying to say is, if the game is tied after 80 minutes, then it's clear those two teams were even today and most likely that eventual goal would've had some type of luck involved with so many players tired out there.

Sure, it would've been fun to see more actual hockey. But in most countries watching this game it was also past midnight..

Teams couldn't decide it in 80 mins. Lundqvist got the better of Pickard in the SO. Seems to me like Lundqvist ended up being the difference, no?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Hmm, just realised Sweden had one pair of brothers (Klingberg) and one pair of twins (Lundqvists) I wonder when that happened last. Did Sweden have any brothers in 2013 along with the Sedins?

The Olympic gold squad from '06 had the Sedins plus Kenny and Jörgen Jönsson.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Congrats, Sweden, on pulling out the win in the SO. Since Sochi it has been a rare achievement for any other nation to defeat Canada's Men's team at any level.

For Canada this is literally a case of the expression - you can't win them all.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Sure, it would've been fun to see more actual hockey. But in most countries watching this game it was also past midnight..

Real fans will still stay up and watch even though they will be zombies at work the next day. It's not going to happen in IIHF tournaments though and that's why the shootout will stay. I think the saddest aspect of the shootout is that no one will care who shot and scored but if it was golden goal, that's something that will stick with you forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00